Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I have no idea what kind of deck she fits in and her payoff doesn't appear high at all. If you are playing her on 4 and then -2 and then untapping with her and getting in and drawing some cards I guess that is fine but it just seems very dependent on board state and unreliable.

My guess as how she would see play, theoretically: G/W tokens either splashes blue or just puts it in the deck without blue and just uses its 4 Oath of Nissa to play it. Result: standard is now even grindier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

stinkles1112 posted:

I'm shocked at this unforeseeable turn of events. SHOCKED!

Waiting for a list of good 3 color walkers.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't really get what's white about Tammy but okay

everyone who was clamoring for a peace of mind reprint raise your hand

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm not sure i understand why she is green

She uses blue mana to draw cards, tap permanents, and cast spells without paying their casting costs. She uses green and white mana to be good in standard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

I have no idea what kind of deck she fits in and her payoff doesn't appear high at all. If you are playing her on 4 and then -2 and then untapping with her and getting in and drawing some cards I guess that is fine but it just seems very dependent on board state and unreliable.

There is a Bant deck based around gumming up the board with a bunch of guys that has x4 of a Vigilance creature. It's 2nd place in results to Selesnya.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

I have no idea what kind of deck she fits in and her payoff doesn't appear high at all. If you are playing her on 4 and then -2 and then untapping with her and getting in and drawing some cards I guess that in fine but it just seems very dependent on board state and unreliable.

She seems quite good at encouraging and maintaining stalemates, which is what much of standard is about. I don't know if there's a deck for her, but "very bad" is definitely not my first impression.

As an aside, I like the design quite a bit, regardless of playability.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I really don't think Bant company wants her. The last thing that deck wants to do on T4 is to tap out for a Walker that doesn't really effect the board that much.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm not sure i understand why she is green

Well, she draws cards.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It'd be cool if they would just print like a cool spell, I get that they just want the game to be dudes smashing into dudes forever so it doesn't have to be powerful enough to be a player in standard but it'd be cool if a spell got printed that was good or at least fun and didn't revolve around creatures like CoCo or the new Evolution

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

everyone who was clamoring for a peace of mind reprint raise your hand

UGH loving GREAT removal and anti-burn SB tech for GW decks!! Do they really need EVERYTHING!?!?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

Why do the gathering magic previews have such trash image quality?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

If you have 4 mana available you don't really want to tap out to cast a Planeswalker that often.

Collected Company is an unfair Magic card; by default it does an unfair thing.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly from a story telling standpoint, killing off ulamog and kozilek made sense, so the eldrazi have a unified face in emrakul. The gatewatch winning a victory but not a decisive one against emrakul also makes sense because they're still trying to build them up as a badass team, they can't lose so early but killing off emrakul removes the eldrazi forever.

They could of killed off the big three Eldrazi no problem. They come from the blind eternities where very little actual solid information is known, and could of brought in a whole new "pantheon" of Eldrazi titans. They probably didn't because nerds hate change and we'll just keep getting the same generic riffing on Emrakul forever.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The funny part is people asking why Tamiyo is green when a better question mechanically is how she is white. Tapping stuff down is white, sure, but tap/doesn't untap is blue, and the Ophidian/Shadowmage Infiltrator ability is blue, but shows up a lot on Simic cards, e.g. Edric.

All of her abilities are actually fine as mono-blue, though.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 1, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

If you have 4 mana available you don't really want to tap out to cast a Planeswalker that often.

Collected Company is an unfair Magic card; by default it does an unfair thing.

Even after company rotates out, we still have Gideon which is more powerful and easier to cast.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The funny part is people asking why Tamiyo is green when a better question mechanically is how she is white. Tapping stuff down is white, sure, but its primarily in blue, and the Ophidian/Shadowmage Infiltrator ability is blue, but shows up a lot on Simic cards, e.g. Edric.

All of her abilities are actually fine as mono-blue, though.

I think it's mainly that her +1 can be used defensively that's about all I can see that really requires white

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Allstone posted:

I think it's mainly that her +1 can be used defensively that's about all I can see that really requires white

If they have 2 creatures you can +1 on their creatures so you get a 2 for 1 even if they can kill Tamiyo. Not all that powerful for a 4 mana walker in a world where Gideon exists.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I'm in love with Tamiyo, her +1 is insane.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Even after company rotates out, we still have Gideon which is more powerful and easier to cast.

It really depends on how useful her minus is, and I think that it is deceptively powerful. Locking down two big threats so you can slam in with your guys uncontested is great. Then on the following turn you can plus her up and swing through to get card advantage and play more threats.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Can you draw more than one card from her +1?

You could in theory draw as many as 4 cards from one activation of her +1 if double-strike is involved.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

New Tamiyo is amazing, in good colors, and prey upon got reprinted to. Why would you not play green/white this standard, christ.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Why would you not play green/white this standard, christ.

Because you want to play Rakdos/Grixis Donate-Pact.

That is really the only reason I can think of.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

You could in theory draw as many as 4 cards from one activation of her +1 if double-strike is involved.

you don't need double strike to draw 4 cards from her +1 if vigilance is involved. I think the unrealistic ceiling is 8 cards

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Entropic posted:

Eight with double strike, vigilance, and a cooperative opponent!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I kind of wish that Emrakul hadn't been immediately dealt with, because I really wanted to see more of Innistrad's natives fighting off the Eldrazi. When Arlinn Kord got introduced she made a big deal of how "In the days to come you are going to be grateful that werewolves are around", and I was all geared up for awesome Werewolf vs. Eldrazi fights, and for the humans of Innistrad being all "Well, these zombies, werewolves, vampires, and also demons are all horrible monsters but they are our horrible monsters" and the plane fighting as a unified front. Even though it would ultimately be solved by planeswalkers in the end, it'd feel more significant. As it is, with it being resolved in the same set it's fully introduced, it just feels like nothing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic posted:

I wasn't certain on the wording, similar to Ongoing Investigation

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wow Green can now just outright kill creatures for 1 mana. Not even black can do that.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Why did they think it was good design to have the payoff for paying 5GG to transform that 1G defender be the ability to tap for 2 mana?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wow Green can now just outright kill creatures for 1 mana. Not even black can do that.

Dead weight.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

I kind of wish that Emrakul hadn't been immediately dealt with, because I really wanted to see more of Innistrad's natives fighting off the Eldrazi. When Arlinn Kord got introduced she made a big deal of how "In the days to come you are going to be grateful that werewolves are around", and I was all geared up for awesome Werewolf vs. Eldrazi fights, and for the humans of Innistrad being all "Well, these zombies, werewolves, vampires, and also demons are all horrible monsters but they are our horrible monsters" and the plane fighting as a unified front. Even though it would ultimately be solved by planeswalkers in the end, it'd feel more significant. As it is, with it being resolved in the same set it's fully introduced, it just feels like nothing.

A casualty of the new two-sets-per-block rule.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

WhalerWren posted:

And to literally no-one's surprise.

One particular detail you missed: You know all those implications that there was something up with the heron mark on Innistrad's moon?

Nope, it was just a regular mark. That Nissa literally overwrote with the mark of the Gatewatch.

Modern MTG storytelling, ladies and gentlemen.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It'd be cool if they would just print like a cool spell, I get that they just want the game to be dudes smashing into dudes forever so it doesn't have to be powerful enough to be a player in standard but it'd be cool if a spell got printed that was good or at least fun and didn't revolve around creatures like CoCo or the new Evolution

I'm seeing this sentiment a lot. Explain to someone who started in Worldwake what a cool spell looks like that doesn't deal with creatures or is a combo card. Coolest thing I've got is cruel ultimatum. Everything else either draws you cards do you can play your evasive beaters, wipes the board so you can play your evasive beaters, or makes a lot of little guys to beat guys.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Why did they think it was good design to have the payoff for paying 5GG to transform that 1G defender be the ability to tap for 2 mana?

That isn't the payoff, the payoff is that now your mana dork you don't need any more is a 4/6 that can attack.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want altered art where instead of the gatewatch symbol it says CHA on the moon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

That isn't the payoff, the payoff is that now your mana dork you don't need any more is a 4/6 that can attack.

Well it does look like the set has a lot of mana sinks/expensive spells, the extra ramp might actually be relevant.

I just realized that the rules change to the cmc of transformed cards makes more sense w/ Emerge in the format.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

BizarroAzrael posted:

And at four CMC! Ambitious, but the +1 looks really good. Does the ultimate just do nothing for X spells?

Nah, it's got the same wording as Omniscience, so if you cast for free you have to choose 0 for X.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Matter Reshaper in to Mindbender seems like it could be alright. I'm shocked Mindbender doesn't exile the cards, though.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
She's bant because those were the colors with investigate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

born on a buy you posted: