Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gitro
May 29, 2013

Choyi posted:

At least for Empire and Chaos its worth to recruit a second lord on turn 1 for various reasons.
The empire has the Offices system, where you put the first recruited lord into the Engineer Office slot to lower construction cost by 10% in current region(this stack with later deployed wizards), as well as being a home front interceptor vs greenskin and other invading armies, the lord himself don't need units right away, he just needs to be in movement range to hit the enemy invading armies as your main stack can then force marche right up to them and reinforce the battle.

For Chaos, you wan't a second lord on turn one due to the horde mechanic, basicly getting you a early start in growing a new army (for chaos their armies doubles as their settlements).

Playing any of the other factions I prefer getting a second lord going fairly early on too (between turn 4-6 usually depending on situation), sometimes its just more beneficial to have 2 armies with 10-13 units rather then one full stack to be able to deal with multiple fronts/conquer more then one settlement per turn.

Note that it does increase overall army upkeep cost so recruiting new armies is not something you want to do without good enough reasons(except Chaos, always have more armies up until at least 4-5 stacks), but there are plenty of strong reasons to at least get a second army going fairly early game.

'Get a castellan Engineer/treasurer/new horde on turn 1' is pretty different from 'recruit another army on turn 1 always' though. I've done 3 or so empire starts and never really fought greenskins outside of the one settlement near marienburg so I didn't think about interception. VCs it'd be decent too probably, you'd be able to go north while finishing off castle templehof, and everything you can recruit that early you can just raise anyway. drat, now I want to try that but my internet is being hot garbage and I've been downloading the patch all day.

I agree completely that you need to get a second stack going early, it's just that turn 1 seems a bit ambitious for most factions. Maybe I'm just bad, but the first few fights are always pretty even and my units get worn down a decent bit. I'd hate to plunge into a garrison + probable army remnant right after without the ability to pad my army out a bit.

Does a T1 engineer pay itself off? A lord is like 250 upkeep and 1000 to recruit, you'd need to spend about 12 grand in one turn for the -10% to pay itself ignoring the increase to other units' upkeep. You'd easily enough spend that on getting Reikland set up, but every turn is another ~2000 you need to dump into the province to pay it back if you're doing it primarily for econ reasons. I guess it doesn't matter if making him treasurer pays for the upkeep since you can just boot him between offices before ending turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Chaos as and the Vamp counts are dead and now everyone previously scared and in a defensive alliance with me have declared war on me, including the Dwarves. Should've kept chapboy around until I was positioned for this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hpw should I use Varghulfs versus Crypt Horrors? They seem to have similar roles.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Varghulfs you can throw headlong into enemy lines and they'll come out fresh as a daisy and if they don't, their natural regeneration will sort them out before too long. Crypt horrors aren't quite as good in prolonged engagements but if yiu can get them to charge into back lines they will gently caress poo poo up. Varghulfs are more like shock troops while crypt horrors are more analogous to cavalry. There is definitely some overlap tho

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Alright just tried to run a Very Hard Campaign as Chaos and obviously I simply am not skilled enough to pull it off... manged to wipe out the Norsca tribes with Shoggoth and Sigvald and got my awakened tribes vassalized along with the Skaelings and Varg. This was my first mistake because the Skaelings are treacherous fucks...

Anyway I now send Sigvald who kills Kraka Drak while I send Kholek and try to catherd the norscans to follow him into Kislev... meanwhile apparently Midheim and Nordland decide to land troops via sea in Norsca.

Kraka Drak dies easy because they sent their armies to kill the Bearsonglings (RIP) although I avenge my poor Bear Norscans, who suicided their armies into a Kislev death stack. Kholek smashes up a couple armies and takes down Troll Country and the other Oblast.

After this things go bad, Midheim/Nordland finish off another tribe I think the Graelings and that pisses me off although it is really weird to see four Empire stacks wandering around Norsca attritioning, but loving poo poo up. This is when the Skaelings who seem to magically recover 3 full doom stacks from their province declare war and break free and they proceed to ignore the other Imperials running around to conquer the other tribes lands because they are in Kislev with me.

So now all my allies are dead and I have two hordes of really good units pushing through Kislev which is now finally turning to Chaos. I guess this triggers everyone to freak out at me because the Empire confederates with an oversized Talabecland and next thing I know four stacks of elite imperial troops come up from the south lead by Karl Franz.

The bullshit thing is as Chaos you cant move stacks to reinforce each other so Kholek had to try to handle all these on his own and through Cheese I managed to cripple them at the cost of pretty much one of my two armies. This sent me in a death spiral as I needed to sack cities to fund my rebuilding, but the Empire so grossley outnumbered me I couldn't do any of that and so just got worn down until the Empire grinded me into dirt and I died.

Overall playing as Chaos in the Campaign blows because you have no allies like they do when they are AI and since you don't have much friendly territory its easy to get your armies worn down through attrition and die because due to the lack of any economy you always have to be sacking, which becomes impossible because EVERYONE is trying to kill you so you fight endless waves of armies and unlike them you don't even get to buddy up for reinforcements because then your warbands start fighting. You don't feel like an unstoppable horde so much as the Rebel Alliance launching hit and run attacks around the fringe of the Empire and when you make your push the death star shows up except instead of being dumb they send all 5000 tie fighters to defend it and you never get close to the exhaust port.

/ragequit

This was impossible, although the Empire Campaign was alot of fun and people seem to enjoy the Vampire Counts as well... maybe Ill download the Bretonnia mods and just take over the west then backstab the Empire during the Chaos invasion and ensure Frankendom succeeds.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 1, 2016

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Lightning strike is a great trait for Chaos generals because of proximity attrition.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Gitro posted:

'Get a castellan Engineer/treasurer/new horde on turn 1' is pretty different from 'recruit another army on turn 1 always' though. I've done 3 or so empire starts and never really fought greenskins outside of the one settlement near marienburg so I didn't think about interception. VCs it'd be decent too probably, you'd be able to go north while finishing off castle templehof, and everything you can recruit that early you can just raise anyway. drat, now I want to try that but my internet is being hot garbage and I've been downloading the patch all day.

I agree completely that you need to get a second stack going early, it's just that turn 1 seems a bit ambitious for most factions. Maybe I'm just bad, but the first few fights are always pretty even and my units get worn down a decent bit. I'd hate to plunge into a garrison + probable army remnant right after without the ability to pad my army out a bit.

Does a T1 engineer pay itself off? A lord is like 250 upkeep and 1000 to recruit, you'd need to spend about 12 grand in one turn for the -10% to pay itself ignoring the increase to other units' upkeep. You'd easily enough spend that on getting Reikland set up, but every turn is another ~2000 you need to dump into the province to pay it back if you're doing it primarily for econ reasons. I guess it doesn't matter if making him treasurer pays for the upkeep since you can just boot him between offices before ending turn.

I'll assume that on lower difficulty the greenskin may be a lot more passive (I play mostly on VH/legend) but for me 7 out of 10 times the greenskin invasion begins right around time i take either Helgard or Eilhart, sometimes I take detour before finishing Reikland to sack the orc settlement in the mountains for a quick 2k gold infusion as well as exp and most importantly boosting relations with the nearby dwarfs there (and on high difficulty the dwarf sooner or later often turn on you so anything you can do to stop that helps).

Yeah for VC I often split into two armies early on (especialy since manfred start he and vargulf can duo almost an entire army) depending on what troop movements templehof go with.

Depending on the faction, the stack my LL is in command off usualy can do perfectly fine with 10-12 units, having second lord take on all new recruits after that until I get access to next tier units which the main army then start to recruit.

The turn 1 engineer slot may not 100% pay itself off, but hiring him is a 1k investment you need soon enough either way, and early game upkeep should be low enough, I recently began using a strat that upgrades barracks in Altdorf on turn 1 for faster access to tech and xbowmen until Helmgard can replace it as recruit center, so that's some gold saved there already as well as every settlement upgrade being discounted.

Main thing it does is letting my main stack be more offensive since any invasion of newly conquered settlement can be defended with nearby lord and march reinforce.
The discounts are just a bonus on top for me, plus if you do go for the orc settlement sack then you will have one turn when ur LL can't recruit(usualy turn 3) when you then fill up 3 units for the second army to start building that up.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

The bullshit thing is as Chaos you cant move stacks to reinforce each other so Kholek had to try to handle all these on his own and through Cheese I managed to cripple them at the cost of pretty much one of my two armies. This sent me in a death spiral as I needed to sack cities to fund my rebuilding, but the Empire so grossley outnumbered me I couldn't do any of that and so just got worn down until the Empire grinded me into dirt and I died.

Nothing is stopping you from reinforcing with multiple hordes as chaos, the attrition effect doesn't take effect until after end of the turn, so if you put all hordes togetherfor a fight, then afterwards moving them away from eachother before hitting end turn, they won't take any attrition at all.
My tip is to always keep your stacks together early and midgame(sometimes late game too), and just split them up enough to encamp outside of attrition range at end of the turn, alltho sometimes its even worth to take attrition hit to be safe from enemy attacks on their turn, just defend and encamp seperatly later once its safe.
And if it comes to the choice having to take attrition, you will loose a lot more men fighting strong enemy solo then the attrition will, not to mentioning the danger of a solo stack getting wiped out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Will high levels of lightning strike let you put hordes close enough to reinforce without getting the infighting penalty?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Will high levels of lightning strike let you put hordes close enough to reinforce without getting the infighting penalty?

No, lightning strike really is a one point skill, the infighting range is further then any reinforce range, but really it shouldn't be an issue if you fight on your turn and move away afterwards. Or in case you must defend on AI turn, take the attrition and just heal up the turn after.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Jack2142 posted:

Alright just tried to run a Very Hard Campaign as Chaos and obviously I simply am not skilled enough to pull it off... manged to wipe out the Norsca tribes with Shoggoth and Sigvald and got my awakened tribes vassalized along with the Skaelings and Varg. This was my first mistake because the Skaelings are treacherous fucks...

Anyway I now send Sigvald who kills Kraka Drak while I send Kholek and try to catherd the norscans to follow him into Kislev... meanwhile apparently Midheim and Nordland decide to land troops via sea in Norsca.

Kraka Drak dies easy because they sent their armies to kill the Bearsonglings (RIP) although I avenge my poor Bear Norscans, who suicided their armies into a Kislev death stack. Kholek smashes up a couple armies and takes down Troll Country and the other Oblast.

After this things go bad, Midheim/Nordland finish off another tribe I think the Graelings and that pisses me off although it is really weird to see four Empire stacks wandering around Norsca attritioning, but loving poo poo up. This is when the Skaelings who seem to magically recover 3 full doom stacks from their province declare war and break free and they proceed to ignore the other Imperials running around to conquer the other tribes lands because they are in Kislev with me.

So now all my allies are dead and I have two hordes of really good units pushing through Kislev which is now finally turning to Chaos. I guess this triggers everyone to freak out at me because the Empire confederates with an oversized Talabecland and next thing I know four stacks of elite imperial troops come up from the south lead by Karl Franz.

Overall playing as Chaos in the Campaign blows because you have no allies like they do when they are AI and since you don't have much friendly territory its easy to get your armies worn down through attrition and die because due to the lack of any economy you always have to be sacking, which becomes impossible because EVERYONE is trying to kill you so you fight endless waves of armies and unlike them you don't even get to buddy up for reinforcements because then your warbands start fighting. You don't feel like an unstoppable horde so much as the Rebel Alliance launching hit and run attacks around the fringe of the Empire and when you make your push the death star shows up except instead of being dumb they send all 5000 tie fighters to defend it and you never get close to the exhaust port.

/ragequit

This was impossible, although the Empire Campaign was alot of fun and people seem to enjoy the Vampire Counts as well... maybe Ill download the Bretonnia mods and just take over the west then backstab the Empire during the Chaos invasion and ensure Frankendom succeeds.

Like what others said, infighting attrition is really minor and shouldn't stop you from reinforcing your hordes.

Other stuff I'd say for Chaos is to move faster strategically. You don't really have time to gently caress around letting the Empire consolidate. These days I'd say that you pretty much shouldn't bother trying to clean up Norsca. That stuff will sort itself out one way or another, whoever wins there will war declare on the Empire, and because you're fighting the Empire as well your diplomacy status will naturally drift up to friendly. I don't know how well it works on Very Hard, but at least on Hard, early surgical strikes to Kislev or, if you are ambitious, to Reikland, work pretty drat well. If you focus your attacks on Reikland while the Empire is isolated, you can ensure Franz is very weak, which will put the kibosh on much confederation shenanigans.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 1, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah I mostly ignored Norsca in my game and Varg and Skaeling both made peace with me not too far in and eventually allied me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Groups of Varghulfs are nice. Because they're single-model you can get all four of them actively fighting a single unit at once - that unit will just evaporate. With units with more models trying to use four at once means a lot of dudes would be standing around not fighting, so compactness really helps.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
My Hard Chaos campaign went really well after I awakened both Aesling and Sarl tribes. Between them they blitzed the full coast of Norsca with minimal help from me.

Of course they started murdering each other once they ran out of mutual enemies to fight but by that point I was halfway through Kislev. At that point it was just a matter of picking the winning side. Even if you pick wrongly like I did the loser should still be on pretty good terms with you so long as you didn't fight them directly.

Early surgical strikes on Reikland does sound like a lot of fun though

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Frankly posted:

My Hard Chaos campaign went really well after I awakened both Aesling and Sarl tribes. Between them they blitzed the full coast of Norsca with minimal help from me.

Of course they started murdering each other once they ran out of mutual enemies to fight but by that point I was halfway through Kislev. At that point it was just a matter of picking the winning side. Even if you pick wrongly like I did the loser should still be on pretty good terms with you so long as you didn't fight them directly.

Early surgical strikes on Reikland does sound like a lot of fun though

If you vassal them instead they would have just combined forces against the rest of the world rather than eachother!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man I tried out legendary and the difficulty seemed spot on but every single action has the game save which just bogs down everything. 2s skips left and right.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

dogstile posted:

If you vassal them instead they would have just combined forces against the rest of the world rather than eachother!

Until they turn on you. Vassals are not reliable.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Vampire counts really get hosed in autoresolve. It's no wonder the AI vamps always gets stomped because it really undervalues the endurance of the basic units and doesn't seem to get flanking when calculating stuff.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 1, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Any tips for a dwarf legendary campaign? I've been having an interesting time so far, controlling the Silver Road and did that first quest.

Gringor, his WAAGH, and a rebellion happened at the same time but I was lucky and he's stupid enough to attack my capital. Since he has a doom diver he can attack it immediately but I'm at a huge advantage because a third of his army is cavalry. So Thorgrim kills him, then after that battle is over he chases the remnant stack and wipes it out. Then he had enough movement to kill the waagh as well, and after that took care of the rebels, all in one turn! I was feeling good at this point, so after recovered sacked the settlement to the south for a sweet 5000 gold.

Only problem is Zhufbar has already gotten wiped out and the game crashed before i had to leave for work, do im worried the save is bad; I had outdated mods enabled but figured it would crash when loading the game not reaching some arbitrary point.

I've heard a strategy involving turtling in Silver Road most of the game and only start confederating during Chaos invasion. This means far less settlements to defend, and more of my money concentrated on upgrading them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Panfilo posted:

Any tips for a dwarf legendary campaign? I've been having an interesting time so far, controlling the Silver Road and did that first quest.

Gringor, his WAAGH, and a rebellion happened at the same time but I was lucky and he's stupid enough to attack my capital. Since he has a doom diver he can attack it immediately but I'm at a huge advantage because a third of his army is cavalry. So Thorgrim kills him, then after that battle is over he chases the remnant stack and wipes it out. Then he had enough movement to kill the waagh as well, and after that took care of the rebels, all in one turn! I was feeling good at this point, so after recovered sacked the settlement to the south for a sweet 5000 gold.

Only problem is Zhufbar has already gotten wiped out and the game crashed before i had to leave for work, do im worried the save is bad; I had outdated mods enabled but figured it would crash when loading the game not reaching some arbitrary point.

I've heard a strategy involving turtling in Silver Road most of the game and only start confederating during Chaos invasion. This means far less settlements to defend, and more of my money concentrated on upgrading them.

I haven't played on legendary, but I would think getting Gunbad and making friends with the dwarfs to the north would be good too. Gunbad is just too good of a piggy bank to pass up with the brightstone mine and gold mine.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Gunbad for the mine and Barak Var for the port and therefore trade access with factions like the Empire. Other expansion optional.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

John Charity Spring posted:

Gunbad for the mine and Barak Var for the port and therefore trade access with factions like the Empire. Other expansion optional.

I'm currently working on BV on my dwarf 'hard' campaign, but Grimgor keeps confederating orcs and somehow has like 3 armies running around together curbstomping everything even though I completely wiped out his original army like 5 turns ago.

Also, how can I tell if my mod is still working? The only mod I am currently using is the 'no public order bonus for AI' mod. In general I don't like mods that make the game easier for me, but I think it hurts the campaign gameplay to have the AI be effective immune to public order effects. It makes some agents useless, rebellions happen less often, and neuters the effects of corruption.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Deified Data posted:

So if I have "enable out of date mods" checked and load a save without crashing, does that mean I'm good to go?

Yes, for the most part. You may have mods that are overwriting CA patch changes though. Most mods seem to be made correctly and use custom tables at least though.

I'd personally recommend getting the PFM and checking out most mods as you get them for how well/poo poo they are put together, but I understand most people don't care that much so YMMV.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
Does introducing mods halfway through a campaign screw up the save? I'm sick of agents that are incredibly hard to wound or kill.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

4th Horseman posted:

Does introducing mods halfway through a campaign screw up the save? I'm sick of agents that are incredibly hard to wound or kill.

Mods that don't add new assets but modify existing can be added or removed at will and generally won't cause any problems, the only exception to this AFAIK is when a patch adds an asset and the mod isn't updated to incorporate it.

Mods with new units and buildings can be added mid save with no problems, but as soon as you build the unit the save will require the mod to function, since you just added stuff to the game that needs to be there in the files.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 1, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is there a mod out there that makes some factions admire Great Power and others resent it? Is such a thing possible?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
When playing as dwarves, is there a better solution to the Grimgor Problem than a dozen cannon focus firing on his face for the entire battle?

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011

Mazz posted:

Mods that don't add new assets but modify existing can be added or removed at will and generally won't cause any problems, the only exception to this AFAIK is when a patch adds an asset and the mod isn't updated to incorporate it.

Mods with new units and buildings can be added mid save with no problems, but as soon as you build the unit the save will require the mod to function, since you just added stuff to the game that needs to be there in the files.

Thanks, going to find something that makes these agents a little less invincible

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tehan posted:

When playing as dwarves, is there a better solution to the Grimgor Problem than a dozen cannon focus firing on his face for the entire battle?

Just lay on more AP damage. Bring some Thunderers. Even Miners are useful as chaff.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

4th Horseman posted:

Thanks, going to find something that makes these agents a little less invincible

Doesn't adding a Banshee or Witch Hunter into your own army as a unit serve as a good defense vs enemy agent shenanigans?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How are people capturing Mt Gunbad so quickly? I know it's very lucrative because gold mine+Bright stone mine gives you an enormous boost economically.

My problem is that it is a province capital with level 2 walls; even if i attack with Thorgrim and a full stack it leaves Silver Road vulnerable because at that point I don't have the income to support two stacks. If I try to take it then I'll get Grimgor making a run for Pillars of Grumgi or Squighorn and have very little to defend against him.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Panfilo posted:

How are people capturing Mt Gunbad so quickly? I know it's very lucrative because gold mine+Bright stone mine gives you an enormous boost economically.

My problem is that it is a province capital with level 2 walls; even if i attack with Thorgrim and a full stack it leaves Silver Road vulnerable because at that point I don't have the income to support two stacks. If I try to take it then I'll get Grimgor making a run for Pillars of Grumgi or Squighorn and have very little to defend against him.

I just quickly fortify my home province, swat down Grimgor once usually, and then use the break to dash north and take Gunbad.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah, don't forget that you can still recruit units from ambush stance; if you set up outside Karak Kadrin with a minor lord and a handful of Warriors/Quarrelers then your capital's garrison will provide the punch you need to overwhelm Grimgor while you complete the Thundering Falls quest and capturing Gunbad. Plus the Gunbad fight is easy as hell if you're willing to cheese it just a little by recruiting some chaff Miners to screen your crossbows. See, the ranged towers in sieges will automatically target the unit that's closest, so send your miners first to soak up that attention. Meanwhile your Quarrelers can outshoot anything on the walls, your miners can knock down gates faster than any battering ram, and Warriors can hold city streets and gateways almost indefinitely. Dwarfs are so good at sieges it's not funny.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011

Evernoob posted:

Doesn't adding a Banshee or Witch Hunter into your own army as a unit serve as a good defense vs enemy agent shenanigans?

They're perpetually loving with my cities, and not least of all I'm getting sick of the pop ups every turn whether they succeeded or failed. Swarms of agents from chaos and vamps and bretonnia.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Vargheist are insanely good and cool.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Playing on normal

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

terrorist ambulance posted:

Playing on normal

Maybe I'll try that lol.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Panfilo posted:

Maybe I'll try that lol.

Don't. Think on your strategy and army composition and you can find a way. VH/H is the sweet spot difficulty level

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I haven't played total war before this game, and I can say for sure that I'm glad I swapped from Normal to Hard after my first game. Normal mode gave me some bad habits that I'm still shaking off. Once I get more of a hold on the campaign layer I'll move on to Very Hard. Battles are no problem, but managing cities/tactical army movement is holding me back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Deified Data posted:

So as Empire does the AI usually break all pacts and chain war declarations on you from all corners of the globe around turn 40 or so? All I did was take out Middenland.

who were you, because if you're vamps or orcs NAPs with empire mean almost nothing

• Locked thread