Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, gently caress every single person in that move who was supposed to be a "good guy". They were all complicit in getting a LOT of people killed. Am I supposed to feel more for a factory bred animal than a human being hired to professionally and humanely capture and transport them? Or was it okay because they were ethnic type mercenaries?

It especially annoyed me how she also insisted on dragging the hurt baby T-rex back to their camp, getting the only actually decent "good" guy killed.

gently caress it, should have just made the whole movie about the hunter guy going on a Jurassic Safari. He was the best character in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Canemacar posted:

It especially annoyed me how she also insisted on dragging the hurt baby T-rex back to their camp, getting the only actually decent "good" guy killed.

gently caress it, should have just made the whole movie about the hunter guy going on a Jurassic Safari. He was the best character in the movie.

Also is it me or was Pete Postlethwaite's character implied to be gay?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

syscall girl posted:

No

They're explicitly told not to use their rifles in Aliens after Ripley and Gorms debate it out. Then Vasquez and Drake gently caress it all to hell and blow out the coolant system to the reactor.

Yes, the acid for blood did come up a few times, but the reason they couldn't use the pulse rifles was that the type of rounds they fired could rupture the cooling system.
And it wasn't Vasquez and Drake the damaged the coolant system, it was the drop ship crashing into it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rurea posted:

Also is it me or was Pete Postlethwaite's character implied to be gay?

How can you extrapolate that?

I mean I hope he'd jumped the fence of sexuality but

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

syscall girl posted:

How can you extrapolate that?

I mean I hope he'd jumped the fence of sexuality but

I thought that him and his indian friend that got eaten were together

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rurea posted:

I thought that him and his indian friend that got eaten were together

Ah

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rare Collectable posted:

Aliens also completely forgets about the facehugger's acidic blood which is the main reason they rig up a flame thrower in the first place. Now they can actually kill the thing without it's blood instantly melting a huge portion of their ship. None of this is a concern in Aliens, just shoot em and they die.

In Aliens, they're not on a ship, they're on an installation on a planet with a human-breathable atmosphere. So you shoot something and its blood eats through the floor and down into the dirt, nobody cares.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rare Collectable posted:

Aliens also completely forgets about the facehugger's acidic blood which is the main reason they rig up a flame thrower in the first place. Now they can actually kill the thing without it's blood instantly melting a huge portion of their ship. None of this is a concern in Aliens, just shoot em and they die.

Apart from the bit where Vasquez shoots one and causes Drake to get sprayed with acid, and the bit where Hicks shoots one point blank with his shotgun and gets sprayed with acid. Oh, and the bit where they find a hole melted in the floor by alien blood that goes down six stories and the bit where the APC's suspension is wrecked by acid after driving over an alien.

E: almost forgot that Vasquez also gets sprayed with acid after shooting an alien in the escape through the ducts. So there are three major firefights in Aliens and someone gets taken down by acid in all of them.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Jul 1, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Apart from the bit where Vasquez shoots one and causes Drake to get sprayed with acid, and the bit where Hicks shoots one point blank with his shotgun and gets sprayed with acid. Oh, and the bit where they find a hole melted in the floor by alien blood that goes down six stories and the bit where the APC's suspension is wrecked by acid after driving over an alien . All the rest of the shooting is in wider spaces, at range, and whether it melts through the floor isn't quite as important because they're not on a goddamn spaceship.

Ease down

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jedit posted:

Apart from the bit where Vasquez shoots one and causes Drake to get sprayed with acid, and the bit where Hicks shoots one point blank with his shotgun and gets sprayed with acid. Oh, and the bit where they find a hole melted in the floor by alien blood that goes down six stories and the bit where the APC's suspension is wrecked by acid after driving over an alien.

E: almost forgot that Vasquez also gets sprayed with acid after shooting an alien in the escape through the ducts. So there are three major firefights in Aliens and someone gets taken down by acid in all of them.

Hicks does it twice even. First time in the APC just after Drake dies and it's Hudson that gets a burn from it.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Phanatic posted:

In Aliens, they're not on a ship, they're on an installation on a planet with a human-breathable atmosphere. So you shoot something and its blood eats through the floor and down into the dirt, nobody cares.

What if the acid hit the dirt and then dissolves the ground all the way to the other side of the planet, creating a giant crater hole? Then the planet would fall out of orbit because there might be a crazy wind tunnel that is created from it and starts ricocheting around that planetary system. And then at the end of the movie it pulls back to a wider shot and ends in the same way that the first MIB movie did?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kramdar posted:

What if the acid hit the dirt and then dissolves the ground all the way to the other side of the planet, creating a giant crater hole? Then the planet would fall out of orbit because there might be a crazy wind tunnel that is created from it and starts ricocheting around that planetary system. And then at the end of the movie it pulls back to a wider shot and ends in the same way that the first MIB movie did?

:rznv:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'd say the entirety of Jurassic Park 2: the Lost World is perfect of example rational irritation. God, does that movie ever suck.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yep, even as a kid who was a rabid JP fan, I thought that movie was garbage.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Didn't they cut an awesome scene where Postlewaith's character saves a waitress, because they realised they made the antagonist entirely justified and more moral than the heroes?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lotish posted:

Yep, even as a kid who was a rabid JP fan, I thought that movie was garbage.

Spielberg knew exactly what he was doing with the sequel. Remember that they show a bunch of Japanese businessmen running away from the T-Rex. It's just a fun and goofy theme park ride.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Didn't they cut an awesome scene where Postlewaith's character saves a waitress, because they realised they made the antagonist entirely justified and more moral than the heroes?

Yeah they show this scene when they show the movie on TV.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

And doing it literally with one hand tied behind his back.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You know Postlewaith's character would have had a lot more screen time if Lost World were made prior to Schindler's List.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Fixed. In my headcanon they throw Vince Vaughn's character into the ship with the T-rexes before sending it back to Isla Sorna.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

They're escaped animals, not an ecosystem. It's something the book actually got right. In it, everything was falling apart and all the animals were under incredible stress from the huge numbers of predators and limited resources.

That was actually going to be part of the third movie at one point, iirc.

That eventually changed, partially due to the discovery of a Spinosaurus skull, into InGen un(?)knowingly reviving a super-predator that was now exterminating all other life on the island. Unfortunately, due to time crunches and rewrites, the finished movie didn't do much with that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The original Jurassic Park is the only good movie in the series but goddamn do I enjoy them all. If any of them are on cable I will flip to it at any point in the movie.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

The original Jurassic Park is the only good movie in the series but goddamn do I enjoy them all. If any of them are on cable I will flip to it at any point in the movie.

#2 wasn't great, but it had dinosaurs and Jeff Goldblum. #3 wasn't great, but it had dinosaurs and Sam Neill.

#4 wasn't as good as #1, but it had dinosaurs and Jimmy Buffett.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Didn't the Lost World book discuss how the world was shocked that a bunch of escaped animals were somehow figuring out something approaching a decent ecosystem? I'm not even talking about the lysine handwave, just the fact that these escaped animals should be collapsing and some sort of natural balance actually happened.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The gymnastic kick scene in Lost World is a masterpiece and it's followed by the best joke in the whole series.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Didn't the Lost World book discuss how the world was shocked that a bunch of escaped animals were somehow figuring out something approaching a decent ecosystem? I'm not even talking about the lysine handwave, just the fact that these escaped animals should be collapsing and some sort of natural balance actually happened.

As I recall it was a combination of the predators not really being socialized so they were loving each other over (raptors killing other raptors and raptor babies in their nests) and ~PRIONS~ ( because I guess crichton just read something about prions) killing the raptors young. So I guess that was supposed to keep the predator/prey balance somehow.

How that affected the cloaking dinosaurs I don't know.

Also I guess the herbivores ate a lot of beans and teamed up together to keep the raptors away.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My irrationally irritating movie moment about John Wick is that it ended.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

#3 wasn't great, but it had dinosaurs and Sam Neill.

Don't forget the scene where they have to dig through piles of dinosaur poo poo to find a satphone that somehow didn't get disintegrated. That's really all I remember about that movie. Also, I'm pretty sure it's the first time I saw William H. Macy on screen, and I was captivated by his mustache.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Guardians of the Galaxy: can a Walkman and tape really survive for over 20 years of implied constant usage?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mu Zeta posted:

The gymnastic kick scene in Lost World is a masterpiece and it's followed by the best joke in the whole series.

the ending?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

3 was good for showing off new animals, unlike World's lineup of Rex, Raptor and Rex Raptor.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Calaveron posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy: can a Walkman and tape really survive for over 20 years of implied constant usage?

Pretty sure whatever goes wrong with it, civilizations that have mastered interstellar travel can reverse engineer a fix for a Walkman. Then again, I'm in the soft sciences, so to me fixing a Walkman with current technology may as well be mastering interstellar travel.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Thaddius the Large posted:

Pretty sure whatever goes wrong with it, civilizations that have mastered interstellar travel can reverse engineer a fix for a Walkman. Then again, I'm in the soft sciences, so to me fixing a Walkman with current technology may as well be mastering interstellar travel.

Now I'm just imagining it getting dropped and cracking open, revealing a horrible Cronenberg esc biological insides. All writhing and stuff. And none of the characters think it's weird or anything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ianmacdo posted:

Now I'm just imagining it getting dropped and cracking open, revealing a horrible Cronenberg esc biological insides. All writhing and stuff. And none of the characters think it's weird or anything.

I bet it has a tiny little mouth and when it runs out of juice you just hear a little voice whisper "double A" until you feed it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Consider how many audiophiles love records and tapes in the modern day. Now imagine how many of them there are in a whole galaxy full of intelligent life. Somewhere there's going to be a whole spacestation full of aliens listening to their music on magnetic tape and could probably manage to keep a walkman + tape in good condition. Probably with like...nanomachines or some poo poo.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

Consider how many audiophiles love records and tapes in the modern day. Now imagine how many of them there are in a whole galaxy full of intelligent life. Somewhere there's going to be a whole spacestation full of aliens listening to their music on magnetic tape and could probably manage to keep a walkman + tape in good condition. Probably with like...nanomachines or some poo poo.

I was gonna go off about digitization and tape stretching but mein gott

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Calaveron posted:

From what I remember tapes were like video cassettes. They would deteriorate with repeated use. The videos would get snowy and the tapes start to crackle.
I had a copy of True Lies as a kid which had a particular scene I wore out so bad it gone from snow to nothing at all.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Marenghi posted:

From what I remember tapes were like video cassettes. They would deteriorate with repeated use. The videos would get snowy and the tapes start to crackle.
I had a copy of True Lies as a kid which had a particular scene I wore out so bad it gone from snow to nothing at all.

The fighter jet scene where he saves the daughter?

Yeah me too

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah me too

I guess that depends on how old being a kid is.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah me too

You loving turbonerd, that is not the scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

syscall girl posted:

You loving turbonerd, that is not the scene

Yeah, jeez, it's obviously the scene with the horse in the elevator.