Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I've thought about challenging the miniwargaming guys but I don't feel like making the drive and most of them are insufferable. But maybe it'd be a game with no rules issues?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Endman posted:

From my experience playing against the new TIE Defenders last night, I reckon their hard counter is probably Miranda with a TLT. Even with that free Evade from x7, the lack of Autothrusters hurts them against turrets.

Which is funny, because Defenders with TIE/D are one of the hardest counters to Miranda that yet exist.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Strobe posted:

Which is funny, because Defenders with TIE/D are one of the hardest counters to Miranda that yet exist.

How so? I can see the damage being pretty harsh, but you can say that about a lot of things.

Best counter to Vessery in a TIE/D with a Tractor beam is Miranda with Dash crew :unsmigghh:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

New FAQ is up.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/1/timing-your-attack/

They re-interpreted multi attacks, so there is a pretty huge nerf to TLT/Tactician/FCS.

Gonk works exactly as we thought it should.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

R4 Agro nerf: spending a focus to fire ordnance does not give you a target lock anymore, only spending the focus when you are changing dice.

Overclocked will probably be used more now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's nice that they finally made a MTG-like timing sequence and set of phases. Also my choice for droids in a scout was OCR4 anyway. (It's better for the mirror) This doesn't change that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Triple scout lists just got way less potent.

edit:
Focus, evade, and target lock tokens cannot be spent for their normal effect
more than once during the "Modify Attack Dice" and "Modify Defense Dice"
steps. For example, a ship cannot spend 2 evade tokens to add 2 evade
results. However, a ship can spend more than 1 of each token on different
effects, such as spending 1 focus token as the cost for Calculation and
another focus token focus token for its inherent effect

:eyepop:

Can't spend 2 evade tokens against a single attack?

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 1, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

alg posted:

New FAQ is up.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/1/timing-your-attack/

They re-interpreted multi attacks, so there is a pretty huge nerf to TLT/Tactician/FCS.

Does Tactician only work once on TLT now? Cant access it at work

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

StashAugustine posted:

Does Tactician only work once on TLT now? Cant access it at work

Yup same with FCS

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Someone in the local group is saying this is coming from "the mouse" because U-Boats were too tough on rebels and the mouse wants rebels to win at Nationals.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Good Changes. The Deadeye jumps will now need overclocked astro to maintain efficiency, giving more counterplay by limiting manoeuvres.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

Someone in the local group is saying this is coming from "the mouse" because U-Boats were too tough on rebels and the mouse wants rebels to win at Nationals.

You should do all you can to encourage this man's psychosis.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
I guess this kind of nerfs "Redline" + FCS + Cluster Missiles, too. Guy can't catch a break.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

Why are so many nerds so far removed from reality

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Poopy Palpy posted:

Tell them the TLT tactician nerf also serves this end because the mouse does not want unauthorized EU material to prevail.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Who's the mouse? And why?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

hoiyes posted:

Good Changes. The Deadeye jumps will now need overclocked astro to maintain efficiency, giving more counterplay by limiting manoeuvres.

I think it's a good fix, it doesn't stop it working entirely just dials the power level down a little bit.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Disney. Because nerds.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Disney. Because nerds.

Oh, lol then. If anything these changes are basically guaranteeing Imperial ascendancy in the short-term.

Also goodbye FCS brobots.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

hoiyes posted:

Oh, lol then. If anything these changes are basically guaranteeing Imperial ascendancy in the short-term.

I think FCS brobots still work, because FCS triggers in Step 8 of the attack order, and then IG88 B's ability triggers in Step 9, letting you perform the attack.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

hoiyes posted:

Who's the mouse? And why?

Those Mouse Droids from the Deathstar hold a lot of sway over FFG

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Improbable Lobster posted:

Those Mouse Droids from the Deathstar hold a lot of sway over FFG

They are really cute and had BB-8 not existed, they'd be the go-to RC toy for us fans.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

hoiyes posted:

IG-88B's effect is an additional attack, and will still get the target lock because the FCS is part of the "after attacking" timing. All "after attacking" or "after defending" effects resolve, and then the second attack happens.

This process is reversed for Cluster Missiles and TLTs, where both attacks happen and then "after attacking" or "after defending" effects resolve.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

canyoneer posted:

I think FCS brobots still work, because FCS triggers in Step 8 of the attack order, and then IG88 B's ability triggers in Step 9, letting you perform the attack.

This is right. Effects that tell you to make a whole new attack (Gunner, Dengar, IG-88B) trigger tactician, FCS, etc just as before. Secondary weapons that perform two attacks were changed to basically function as if they are a single attack that rolls to hit and evade two times. That's not really how it's worded, but it's the closest tldr I can think of.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The pros of jm5k were generally using OCR4 anyway to clear up points and help on defense.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Ghost with TLT and FCS and a docked Phantom gets the TLT/FCS general nerf, but the clarification that the post combat turret gets to use both TLT attacks. Probably a net nerf, but not too bad I would guess.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Panzeh posted:

The pros of jm5k were generally using OCR4 anyway to clear up points and help on defense.

It's hard to understand why they didn't just remove the EPT from Scouts instead of generating this massive timing chart that ruined other cards too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

alg posted:

It's hard to understand why they didn't just remove the EPT from Scouts instead of generating this massive timing chart that ruined other cards too.

Probably because they decided to make the timing chart to solidify the rules and took a whack at Jumpmasters while they were at it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, but now it's required, and a lot of the pros had only 2 torp carriers plus an ace or support/bump ship or something. And the odds of 4 hits with plasma torps with focus are less than 50%. The jumps have to get lucky to drop 2 agility ships with two torpedoes now, rather than just roll average. Might be enough to prevent them from simply strangling every Rebel list they meet by default, which it turn could mean that Imp aces have to deal with rebels again.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

alg posted:

Deadeye and R4 actually shouldn't have worked RAW in the rules even before the new FAQ, it's just that everyone was playing it wrong, which became clear when they were producing the chart.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Gate posted:

Yeah, but now it's required, and a lot of the pros had only 2 torp carriers plus an ace or support/bump ship or something. And the odds of 4 hits with plasma torps with focus are less than 50%. The jumps have to get lucky to drop 2 agility ships with two torpedoes now, rather than just roll average. Might be enough to prevent them from simply strangling every Rebel list they meet by default, which it turn could mean that Imp aces have to deal with rebels again.

On plasmas, ocr4 is exactly the same as R4 agro except you get stressed.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The Gate posted:

If you're only using 2JM you can just add Recon Spec to R4A.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

alg posted:

If you're only using 2JM you can just add Recon Spec to R4A.

Yeah I suspect there will still be plenty of this + a cheap bumpmaster.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Panzeh posted:

On plasmas, ocr4 is exactly the same as R4 agro except you get stressed.

This is not an insignificant thing. TL is also better because you can roll into crits. :eng101:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Interesting interaction with Whisper + Gunner and ACD vs. Dengar.
Dengar has initiative.

Whisper attacks Dengar, inside Dengar's arc and whiffs the shot. Step 8 of attack sequence says that Whisper can activate the advanced cloaking device and cloak right away, thus skipping the gunner possibility.

Otherwise, step 9 gives Dengar the ability to activate his ability before Whisper's gunner triggers (because Dengar has initiative)
At that point, after Dengar has performed his attack against an uncloaked Whisper, Whisper cannot activate Gunner because we're now on Step 9 of Dengar's attack, and gunner's trigger is "after attacking"

If Whisper has initiative, here's how it works.

Whisper attacks Dengar, inside Dengar's arc and whiffs the shot. Whisper skips step 8 and goes to step 9, resolving Gunner with initiative over Dengar. After the second attack, Whisper can trigger ACD and cloak in step 8, before Dengar counter-attacks in step 9.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

This is not an insignificant thing. TL is also better because you can roll into crits. :eng101:

It is a little bit better, yeah, but I think the idea is basically, the JM has a pretty good set of greens and it'll be okay. Also in late game situations the defensive capability of OCR4 is not something to be ignored.

That being said, I think protons on jumpmasters is a thing of the past. Where before with R4 Agro they went from the 74% of plasmas to 91-92% due to the good stacking of the focus flip and re-rolls nowadays you just take plasmas because you're back to the 74% figure.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

alg posted:

And how!

Ruthless Freelancer (23)
"Gonk" (2)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Experimental Interface (3)

Total: 29

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I am obviously biased a bit thanks to my list composition, but this means that torpedo scouts are actually vulnerable to stress generation, because the green is only in one direction and you can force a turn without actions entirely if they use Overclocked. That's not small.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

I am obviously biased a bit thanks to my list composition, but this means that torpedo scouts are actually vulnerable to stress generation, because the green is only in one direction and you can force a turn without actions entirely if they use Overclocked. That's not small.

Yeah, but they'll still at least get to shoot once if they use OCR4. They don't have to take their stress until they actually get to shoot or know they're going to shoot. It's not as good as R4 agro, but from my experience with the good jumpmaster players, they were leaning toward OCR4 for bid purposes and getting some of the crews anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Stress Jansen rides again. :smuggo:

• Locked thread