Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Phone posted:

Yeah, I do.

Your tone is incredibly patronizing and reeks of "good golly you should feel lucky to even have a job" charlatanism.

You sound patronizing throwing around poo poo like charlatanism. I'm saying it's awesome that he can actually talk about that poo poo as opposed to most of us. I even pointed out that what he was saying was protected but that they often try to punish anyway (note I even said try to in what you quoted). Come the gently caress on man.

quote:

I imagine at a job fair, companies want their employees to disclose their salaries (at least if they're good.) Why would your mind jump to "He's probably gonna get fired for telling these high school kids his company pays the big bucks?"

I don't ever remember anyone disclosing their salary at a job fair, but maybe they do. My mind jumped there because it's been beaten in talk about salary = bad poo poo.

quote:

I've never had a job where my salary wasn't a matter of public record

This is how it should be for all jobs, unfortunately in most private sector companies it will get you fired although they won't say that's why.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I've never had a job where my salary wasn't a matter of public record. Actually, with a new fiscal year starting tomorrow I bet the 16-17 report is up on our website. Time to go scroll through everyone's info :toot:

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 30, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My company pays on commission and every month they rank us, #1 through #20, on a piece of paper they hang next to the lunch room that lists how much we made to the penny!

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

VideoTapir posted:

This, plus a legislated end to credentialism, so that people don't need to go to college anymore. A lot of jobs that require degrees would be better done by some jerk off the street with OJT; but employers don't want to train anyone anymore. Support for employer OJT + penalties for requiring credentials.

The two-thirds of adults without four-year degrees are somehow finding jobs though

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Does anyone still have that link from a while ago from reddit (it was either personalfinance or relationships) about some guy who posted about catching his girlfriend with $5000 on a credit card and confronting her about it (because she gave him poo poo for having credit card debt) and it turns out it was because she was GWM and had like 700k in brokerage accounts and was cycling the card probably for reward points?

They might have had a fight over how it could have been used for (his) student loans and (his) car loan, too.

Because that poo poo was hilarious and I want to reread it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

What's FA in your case? Flight attendant? Financial advisor?

Financial advisor. And yeah, our company didn't give a flying gently caress about salary talk. I've honestly never had a job that cared. It's just something people don't typically bring up with each other unless you're in sales.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Horking Delight posted:

Does anyone still have that link from a while ago from reddit (it was either personalfinance or relationships) about some guy who posted about catching his girlfriend with $5000 on a credit card and confronting her about it (because she gave him poo poo for having credit card debt) and it turns out it was because she was GWM and had like 700k in brokerage accounts and was cycling the card probably for reward points?

They might have had a fight over how it could have been used for (his) student loans and (his) car loan, too.

Because that poo poo was hilarious and I want to reread it.

From memory, it was in the Financial Independence forum on reddit, but I think it got deleted (??). And there was an update where he humbled himself to his girlfriend and revealed a bit more about her frugal lifestyle. If I'm remembering correctly, she thrifted almost everything, cycled everywhere, the $5000 credit card debt was because she was churning for points so they could go on holiday. He never really connected the dots to wonder what she did with any leftover cash.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

What's the ethical difference between churning and kiting? Capital?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
If you're kiting it's because you can't afford not to do so. If you're churning you have enough cash to pay off all your balances as you go.

Fake edit: Is this a serious question? Do you not see the difference between them?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Check kiting is used to make it look like you have more cash on hand than you do, essentially passing temporary credit as a liquid asset. Churning is using authorized credit briefly enough that they can't charge interest. They're not really related.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

froglet posted:

From memory, it was in the Financial Independence forum on reddit, but I think it got deleted (??). And there was an update where he humbled himself to his girlfriend and revealed a bit more about her frugal lifestyle. If I'm remembering correctly, she thrifted almost everything, cycled everywhere, the $5000 credit card debt was because she was churning for points so they could go on holiday. He never really connected the dots to wonder what she did with any leftover cash.

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/408wf0/girlfriend_31f_of_2_years_hates_credit_cards_i/

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=481#post454798875

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Glad somebody managed to dig it up again, looks like my google-fu is rusty.

Today in "it came from reddit": My mom thinks she's a stock trader. Help?

Reddit posted:

I hope this is the right sub for this. My 70 yo mother has announced that she's opened a TDAmeritrade account, and is buying a couple hundred dollars worth of penny stocks, but has the conservative strategy of "selling them if they lose 1-2%", Which inspires zero confidence.
I'm no advisor myself, But I have seen Wolf of Wall Street a couple times ;) , and it seems to me the only way to make money in the OTCBB(?), is by fleecing people like my mother.
It seems to me that this market is easily manipulated, and fraught with scams, and just plain old lovely wastes of money.
Do I have any cause for concern here? Is it just harmless fun? She's been contacted by TD's advisors already, not that I suspect them of any malice, but should I? If it is dangerous, does anyone have any idea what I can tell her about it?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I can't imagine why you would not churn your rewards cards unless you're irrationally afraid of credit cards or you can't use them responsibly.

It's a firewall for your real money. Almost no one has my checking account numbers and no one has my debit card number, so purchases are secure af.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It really comes down to whether you can make/stick to a budget, I suppose.

Content: asking your SO to rent a room from you in your condo at a great cost to them in both time and money: GWM, BWL?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4qptta/partner_owns_apartment_wants_me_to_move_in_and/ posted:

Partner and I are making roughly the same amount of money. I was asked to move in, I asked how much my 'rent' would be and was told to pay half the mortgage. We have been dating for a year and some months. We have been splitting everything from restaurants, groceries, movie tickets, vacations, cab rides... from the very first date. Everyone pays equally we literally 50/50 on everything. I have no debt. Partner has student loan, car loan and the mortgage. All these loans predate me.

So here is my problem. For me moving in to his apartment has several drawbacks. Right now, I have a large bedroom, I live with room mates and my living situation is totally ok. I live about a 40 min subway ride from my office (one way). My rent right now is $830, and my transportation comes out around $140 a month.

If I move in to my partner's apartment my commute increases to an hour and 15 mins (one way) and my cost of transportation would jump up to a whopping $400. If I pay half the mortgage (that was proposed) my 'rent' would be up around $1200. So over all, my expenses would increase with ~$600 monthly, my commute would be significantly less convenient (extra time, extra money plus no subway that runs every 10 mins 24 hours a day but a train that runs hourly or so) and all this for having essentially half a bed plus some closet space in the new apt.

This seems like a really bad deal to me. This feels like the SO is getting a great deal (literally cutting expenses in half on his end) while I almost double mine and get not much in return. What are my options here? If I am paying half the mortgage should I receive equity? Doesn't that worth something that by moving in I forgo my own opportunity to buy something and pay my own mortgage, instead of giving away the money? I know there are tax benefits for the interest, should I receive some of that money when the tax return comes if I paid half?

It is implied that one day if/when we get married this will be essentially ours. But if that ever happens all the car loan and student loan will be 'ours' too (which is a whole another story).

I would be open to move in and maybe pay the same amount of money I am paying right now (still would get hit with the extra transportation cost) but paying half the mortgage does not seem reasonable to me given the whole scenario.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 1, 2016

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

NancyPants posted:

I can't imagine why you would not churn your rewards cards unless you're irrationally afraid of credit cards or you can't use them responsibly.

It's a firewall for your real money. Almost no one has my checking account numbers and no one has my debit card number, so purchases are secure af.

If you mean churn in the sense of "buy your purchases with your credit cards and pay them off before they accrue interest" then I agree. If you mean the hardcore points-maximizing stuff like maxing out your credit cards on pre-paid gift cards and constantly signing up for new cards and cancelling old cards, well I just can't be bothered.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

If you mean churn in the sense of "buy your purchases with your credit cards and pay them off before they accrue interest" then I agree. If you mean the hardcore points-maximizing stuff like maxing out your credit cards on pre-paid gift cards and constantly signing up for new cards and cancelling old cards, well I just can't be bothered.

I am guilty of this. But, but, but I can rationalize it. Maxed out the 5% extra rewards points on grocery store gift cards, as I figure I'll use them anyway over the course of the next several months- got to eat!

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

It really comes down to whether you can make/stick to a budget, I suppose.

Content: asking your SO to rent a room from you in your condo at a great cost to them in both time and money: GWM, BWL?

This amuses me. That's a sharp SO and their partner should be ashamed for trying to use a non-married partner to build equal equity in something only they own.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

NancyPants posted:

Seriously lol if you don't at least try to put the massive down payment for a car on your card for the points.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

If only you could put a house down payment on a credit card :hellyeah:

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

defectivemonkey posted:

Seriously lol if you don't at least try to put the massive down payment for a car on your card for the points.

Car dealerships are usually wise to this. Last time I tried this, they had a $2k limit for credit cards.

Home improvement projects are another story, though. I managed to put the replacement windows for my house on a card and reap mega-points. Same with a new roof.

Never write a check without TRYING the points card first!

(And the best zero-thought points card is Fidelity. The AmEx is unlimited 2% back on everything. The Visa is the same but 1.5%.)

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Churning credit cards usually means opening new accounts for the sign up bonuses, then closing them.

Earning rewards and paying the bill in full to avoid interest is just how a credit card should always be used.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

THF13 posted:

Churning credit cards usually means opening new accounts for the sign up bonuses, then closing them.

Earning rewards and paying the bill in full to avoid interest is just how a credit card should always be used.
Yeah the first thing seems like a waste of time that I can't be bothered with and the second is just...what credit cards are to me.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Mocking Bird posted:

This amuses me. That's a sharp SO and their partner should be ashamed for trying to use a non-married partner to build equal equity in something only they own.

In most areas, half the mortgage is under market rent. But this person sounds like they'd try and make the non-owner pay for half of any maintenance/repairs that come up, which kinda defeats the point of renting.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

defectivemonkey posted:

...we did.

We had the cash in hand but why not get them airline miles?

E:

High Lord Elbow posted:

Car dealerships are usually wise to this. Last time I tried this, they had a $2k limit for credit cards.

Home improvement projects are another story, though. I managed to put the replacement windows for my house on a card and reap mega-points. Same with a new roof.

(And the best zero-thought points card is Fidelity. The AmEx is unlimited 2% back on everything. The Visa is the same but 1.5%.)

Our place most certainly did not have that limit.

We also used the card to pay a deposit for a new apartment.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 1, 2016

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

High Lord Elbow posted:

Yeah but there's usually an upper limit on the cash back you can get. With amex the % returned in cash is limited to the first $6,000 in eligible transactions. After the fee you're basically capped at ~$100

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah but there's usually an upper limit on the cash back you can get. With amex the % returned in cash is limited to the first $6,000 in eligible transactions. After the fee you're basically capped at ~$100

Citi Doublecash and the aforementioned Fidelity Amex (recently converted to a visa) are both unlimited 2% cash back.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

High Lord Elbow posted:

Heh. You should've seen the pinched look on the finance guy's face when I made the $10k down payment for my current car on my rewards credit card.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I bought my car in 100% cash last fall. The finance guy said there was literally no way I could buy that car from them, cash or no cash, unless they could run a hard credit check on me.

Why?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I bought my car in 100% cash last fall. The finance guy said there was literally no way I could buy that car from them, cash or no cash, unless they could run a hard credit check on me.

Why?

Because he's an idiot and assumed you were too.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I imagine they are pressured to do that "to see what you qualify for," ie to try to sell you a more expensive car. But I've never done auto sales, so

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why?

Did you tell him to fuckoff and then let the salesman know you were walking out of there to go down the street with your cash?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

This was an interesting rabbit hole to fall into for 15 minutes on a slow afternoon at work:

https://twitter.com/michaeljhudson/status/748777908412428288

https://twitter.com/michaeljhudson/status/748778933944922112

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why?

Same. I put all zeros as my ssn.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why?

Actually I remember why! They said it was due to the Patriot Act and since it was a cash transaction exceeding $10,000.01.

According to the internet, that is false, but it's a VERY common auto sales tactic to get your credit information in their system.

In conclusion, never give Royal Moore Subaru in Hillsboro, Oregon any of your business, because they are fuckbois

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
All car dealerships are fuckbois and whatever dumb laws prevent me from buying a made-to-order car direct from the factory should be eradicated.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No, but you see, dealerships provide a value-add for the customers, and

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The value-add is being able to test drive multiple makes and model of cars within your price range. I agree you should be able to buy direct from the manufacturer if you want, but dealerships will always have a use.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Like test driving at a dealer and then ordering what you want from the manufacturer for less?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Today on BWM Toronto edition: Two couples (with kids) take out a joint mortgage in Toronto's bubble real estate market.

And for those of you aren't too familiar for the "what if" scenarios: if one couple wants to get out of the mortgage, the remaining couple must re-qualify for the mortgage on their own. And then of course there's the question of how to divide any equity (if any) in the future sale of the house.

quote:

“We’re going on blind faith that neither of us will screw each other over,” says Mike Lovas, 35

What could go wrong.

Phone posted:

No, but you see, dealerships provide a value-add for the customers, and
They exist for "the protection of the consumer." :downs:

The one thing I hate about getting a replacement vehicle is dealing with the dealerships. I should be excited about a new car. But the last time we replaced my dying 2000 Civic I had to run the gauntlet with about ~7 scummy car salesmen. And it was funny- the first one told me, "We do an 18-point inspection on your car!" The one afterwards said, "We do a 30-point inspection!" then the one after that said, "We do a 50-point inspection!" I didn't even mention the previous car dealerships, and they went full retard with their sales pitches.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Grumpwagon posted:

Citi Doublecash and the aforementioned Fidelity Amex (recently converted to a visa) are both unlimited 2% cash back.

Ha is that what they did? I just got two new cards that were both visa and was going to call and ask. Weird that one got converted over

• Locked thread