Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Thanks, I'm getting all of the ones you recommended!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Aside from the ones previously listed, the other major DLC is stuff you only need if you want to play as certain people. Buy The Republic if you want to play as a republic, buy Sword of Islam if you want to play as Muslims, buy Horse Lords if you want to play as a Mongol, etc. The AI still gets all the features from the DLC whether you own it or not, so you're still getting the full experience regardless, it's just a matter of who you want to play as.

All the different government types/religions/etc. are cool and fun and they're all worth playing as if you get the chance, but you can still have a blast with just the default option of 'christian, feudal'.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Although Sons of Abraham adds some content for those Christian feudal rulers.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I honestly love all the DLC but if you buy the Steam Sale megapack just remember to disable Viking Metal if you don't want your ears to bleed (and Sunset Invasion if you don't want Mayans to show up.)

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how often someone just gets the game and all DLC simultaneously at full price.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

paint dry posted:

I honestly love all the DLC but if you buy the Steam Sale megapack just remember to disable Viking Metal if you don't want your ears to bleed (and Sunset Invasion if you don't want Mayans to show up.)

I like [most of] Viking metal. Best bet might be to buy the music packs separately, listen to them via steam music or the player of your choice, and refund any/all that you don't like.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If Im not mistaken, Sons of Abraham also adds some stuff for muslims, like that decision to donate gold for piety with a 1-1 ratio, which used to be pretty much required to manage decadence

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Pharohman777 posted:

I wonder how often someone just gets the game and all DLC simultaneously at full price.

It's funny that the Crusader Kings II Steam Package that normally goes for 100$ and is now at 40something contains not a single major DLC. I made the mistake of buying that one at first since it seemed like a great deal, but lol nope it's just unit packs and other garbage. Thankfully I could get a refund and buy everything I wanted separately.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Ruler Designer is worth buying if you want to give your dynasty a jump start. I usually make my first guy an ugly, wounded, genius Grey Eminence or Brilliant Strategist and cross my fingers that the positive qualities get passed down.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Ruler Designer is worth buying if you want to give your dynasty a jump start. I usually make my first guy an ugly, wounded, genius Grey Eminence or Brilliant Strategist and cross my fingers that the positive qualities get passed down.
Or you can use the console for it for free?

The Ruler designer not being ironman compatable is dumb as is their point system.

About the only thing it can do that the console can't is increase health and give you kids?

Btw, anyone know if you can just run the event ID for having a kid with a shrubbery? And what it is?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 1, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
^e: oh come on, you might as well say you should skip the DLCs since you can mod in events yourself, or that the music DLC is pointless when you can have itunes up in the background. The interface for the ruler designer is about a million times simpler (and will be even more so if they ever patch in something to replace scrolling arrow madness :mad:), it's easily worth the $2 buy in.

I think Ruler Designer is worth holding off on, or at least making a concerted effort to not use for a while. I have a bunch of friends who I got to buy this game who found it really bland since every single time they just went with ruler designed rulers, which means their starting alliances, family, dynasty history etc was always completely absent. Then when I made them play historical rulers they started having a lot of fun.

If you can resist the temptation while you're learning it's a lot of fun but I don't think it's a necessary starting DLC. The customization pack hairdressing DLC is pretty worthwhile though.

Also I said it before, but I genuinely think the portrait packs are every bit as important as the majority of the major DLCs. This is a game where you are staring at portraits for hours on end, them having more variety livens up the world enormously.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 1, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Nah, the Ruler Designer is a lot less complex than anything else except the Customization DLC, where you pay to be able to rename your dynasty and counties, which isn't an intrinsic part of the game because, uhhhhhhhhh

Also lol at having to remove every single trait if you wanna change things up because it isn't even that well designed. And capping you at 50 years and all kinds of other restrictions the console doesn't have.

I will say that I enjoyed it a lot though, before I actually learned to use the console properly and it does save some wrangling, so getting it on sale isn't completely useless, just, kinda not really worth money?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The ruler designer is good and fun, who wants to memorize all those console commands. It also gives yous some limits so you cant design a 16 years old superman.

I used it a lot, I like to create my own dynasty. Grab it if its cheap

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You can trivially remove the age and trait points stuff in defines, and it's nice they tried to balance it somewhat. And I like it as a much simpler interface for customizing the portraits.

It is pretty bullshit that they don't let you use it to edit people into existing dynasties though. I agree they're eh at full price but for the sale prices they're definitely worth picking up.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

The ruler designer is good and fun, who wants to memorize all those console commands.

Steam browser the wiki? But whatever, people should buy the ruler designer if they got money.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Btw, anyone know if you can just run the event ID for having a kid with a shrubbery? And what it is?

event WoL.562

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SeaTard posted:

event WoL.562
Noice, thanks. I really hate reading through the files trying to find them, wish that the wiki had the full list of all of them. Though it doesn't seem to be working just running it from the console; might be because of the AtE mod? Eh.

Another question; does the "Refuse invitiation" modifier ever expire? I mean, I can imagine that the seduction one should last longer, but it's a bit daft that just because you couldn't make it to one party, the once, you never want to go to a party with that person, even years later.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Noice, thanks. I really hate reading through the files trying to find them, wish that the wiki had the full list of all of them. Though it doesn't seem to be working just running it from the console; might be because of the AtE mod? Eh.

Another question; does the "Refuse invitiation" modifier ever expire? I mean, I can imagine that the seduction one should last longer, but it's a bit daft that just because you couldn't make it to one party, the once, you never want to go to a party with that person, even years later.

WoL.561 is the seducing of the rose bush, which has a 20% chance to fire 562, which is what causes the pregnancy. So you could always just try WoL.561 a few tomes. The capitalization matters btw.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Koramei posted:

You can trivially remove the age and trait points stuff in defines, and it's nice they tried to balance it somewhat. And I like it as a much simpler interface for customizing the portraits.

It is pretty bullshit that they don't let you use it to edit people into existing dynasties though. I agree they're eh at full price but for the sale prices they're definitely worth picking up.
Yeah, I really wish there were a customization DLC on the level for EU4, where you can, you know, actually customize lands, their ideas and other things, but for CKII you could also add dynasties and whatnot.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd love to have a dynastic palace similar to what republics get for Feudal Lords so my dynasty can slowly build up a palace and estate to better raise new generations of shitlord tyrants in.

I'd also love to see universities re-done as either a holding or trade post style pseudo-holding that is super expensive to build and upgrade but more powerful, with them representing a significant investment and big thing to capture/destory. Particularly if they could have a focus, so you'd get military universities, or great philosophy universities, or great economic universities. Sending courtiers and heirs away for an education would be a fun addition and add some cultural back-and-forth, with the culture and religion of the university having a chance of rubbing off on the students.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Omnicarus posted:

I'd love to have a dynastic palace similar to what republics get for Feudal Lords so my dynasty can slowly build up a palace and estate to better raise new generations of shitlord tyrants in.

I'd also love to see universities re-done as either a holding or trade post style pseudo-holding that is super expensive to build and upgrade but more powerful, with them representing a significant investment and big thing to capture/destory. Particularly if they could have a focus, so you'd get military universities, or great philosophy universities, or great economic universities. Sending courtiers and heirs away for an education would be a fun addition and add some cultural back-and-forth, with the culture and religion of the university having a chance of rubbing off on the students.

Love it, specially the university thing

Paradox pls hire this guy

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Omnicarus posted:

dunno if you're into mods- but this one (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=246520516) is roughly the first thing

it also seems to be pretty widely compatible with other mods

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Those two are the main ones and even Conclave you might not want to jump right into if you're starting out since it makes vassal management more complicated (not really THAT much more complicated, but you might find it confusing if you've never played a Paradox game before).

The other main ones people tend to recommend are Legacy of Rome (which adds retinues - they aren't a big deal if you're a small realm but they make a difference for big kingdoms/empires), and Old Gods/Charlemagne for the earlier start dates (Old Gods seems to be preferred to Charlemagne for whatever reason - it does also unlock pagans as playable so that part is interesting too). Otherwise there isn't really any "mandatory" DLC; the rest are just stuff that's worth picking up if you're interested in the specific subject of that DLC.

That said it might be worth grabbing it all now while the Summer Sale is on. At the very least it's worth picking up the portrait packs - they're already super cheap normally and they're generally pretty good.

I see a ton of negative reviews for Conclave and Sunset Invasion - is this just Steam reviewers overreacting or should I skip those?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Mr E posted:

I see a ton of negative reviews for Conclave and Sunset Invasion - is this just Steam reviewers overreacting or should I skip those?

Just the usual slant of only people who hate a thing bothering to comment.

I like Sunset Invasion for the potential late-game shake-up.
Conclave adds a lot of flavour to council stuff, and I like it for adding a new dynamic to master, which lets you balance realm stability against personal power by how much you delegate to the council.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Usually seems like people are mad by shattered retreat and coalitions (which were really bad ideas) and they take it on the DLC, even though both features came with the free patch

Conclave does changes the game a lot though, and not everyone liked

Sunset Invasion just add somewhat of a "final boss" to the game, which is really hard and its fun IMHO (not always, though)

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Mr E posted:

Sunset Invasion has negative reviews because when it was announced it pissed off the entire paradox plaza forums because it wasn't 'historically accurate'.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before, but which DLC should I get if I'm absolutely new to the game? Conclave and way of life seem to be no-brainers since they add functionality that looks really fun, but as for the rest I have no clue.

Be warned, Conclave makes the game much harder then without. If you have been trying to follow along with the lets play as Ireland you won't be able to.

How do I get my council to actually cash in their favors? I pretty much owe everyone now so I could get primogeniture passed, and since they are 100% opposed to me passing any other laws I'm pretty much stuck.

Also holy poo poo Ireland gets boring if your utter failure of a chancellor can't ever seem to fabricate any claims. I'm just marrying off my daughters to heirs I have invited to my court so hopefully the next generation has something to do.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Demon_Corsair posted:

Be warned, Conclave makes the game much harder then without. If you have been trying to follow along with the lets play as Ireland you won't be able to.

How do I get my council to actually cash in their favors? I pretty much owe everyone now so I could get primogeniture passed, and since they are 100% opposed to me passing any other laws I'm pretty much stuck.

Also holy poo poo Ireland gets boring if your utter failure of a chancellor can't ever seem to fabricate any claims. I'm just marrying off my daughters to heirs I have invited to my court so hopefully the next generation has something to do.

I'm around 30 episodes into this so I think I have an idea of what to do, and having to fight an uppity council is definitely something I wouldn't want to miss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfw7GRuhPYM

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The Mongols somehow decided to invade Spain in my game when they're still barely on the map. They invaded the Bektashi Order before that, did that have anything to do with it? They have castles all around the Muslim world.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Do I have to own all the DLC for most mods to show up in the Workshop? I can't find After the End, CK2+, the Game of Thrones mod, or VIET anymore.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Mister Bates posted:

Do I have to own all the DLC for most mods to show up in the Workshop? I can't find After the End, CK2+, the Game of Thrones mod, or VIET anymore.
I think most of those are on the forums only, either because Paradox doesn't want off-forum mod posts, or because Steam doesn't host mods as big as ATE.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Ah, there we go, found them on the forums.

What's the thread opinion on CK2+ versus HIP? The change lists for both are super-long, and spread across multiple threads in the case of HIP. I've got the general gist of it, but is there a consensus on which one is more enjoyable? I've been burned pretty badly on overhaul mods for Paradox games, like that one 'Historical Plausibility' or whatever-it-was-called megamod for Vicky 1 where all the event code completely broke if you ran the game faster than Normal speed.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Ah, there we go, found them on the forums.

What's the thread opinion on CK2+ versus HIP? The change lists for both are super-long, and spread across multiple threads in the case of HIP. I've got the general gist of it, but is there a consensus on which one is more enjoyable? I've been burned pretty badly on overhaul mods for Paradox games, like that one 'Historical Plausibility' or whatever-it-was-called megamod for Vicky 1 where all the event code completely broke if you ran the game faster than Normal speed.

CK2+ is really good again and HIP has gone downhill in comparison, partially because the good module of VIET broke years ago and nobody ever updated it. Neither of them will break the game though.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I haven't played much of CK2+, not a fan of the map. The good thing about HIP is that it feels like your leader's stats matter a lot more. I had a guy with 29 martial and I don't think ever lost a battle with him in command, high diplomacy people don't have to deal with as many revolts, high stewardship was pulling in a ton of gold, etc

I wish they would add in the Greek and Arabic Sicilian melting pot events though, and the one for crusader states

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Gave HIP a try for the hell of it, and holy crap is this poo poo hilariously unbalanced. Did my traditional Hasteinn start, and managed to defeat the combined forced of West Francia, Asturias, and Brittany despite getting hit by superior armies repeatedly, because I was just hunting down, dueling, and murdering all of their important rulers again, and again, and again.

I've killed two kings of West Francia, a king of Lotharingia, a king of Asturias, and two dukes of Brittany, plus a ton of counts, dukes, and bishops, and the various martial-increasing traits and poo poo you pick up from battle have given me a martial score of 52. I've killed over fifteen thousand Christian men in this war, with an army of about 4000.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Yeah it's awesome

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
HIP Hasteinn's Martial skill is now at 54 and he's defeated three Christian holy wars for Brittany. His personal combat skill is off the charts; in addition to being the greatest strategist since Alexander the Great, he's the most skilled single-combat fighter in the entire world. He's added a king of East Francia and another king of Asturias to the pile of crowned heads at his feet. Christendom is collapsing into three separate civil wars because the big blobs are ruled by children with terrible regents after I killed all the adult claimants and every one of their competent advisors with my axe.

I have not been cheating in any way and used the default HIP install configuration, HIP is just loving ridiculous. This was absolutely not the experience I was hoping for, but i think I'm going to stick with it a little while before switching over to CK2+, I want to see just how far I can take this insanity.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 2, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does anybody have suggstions for a written or video LP that I can watch to get into this game? The last time I tried playing the game I got very lost off the bat and gave up quickly. Just need to get a sense of all the game mechanics, the way it flows etc.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think that the best available written LP is Kersch's screenshot LP with Ireland. A number of things have changed since that was a long time ago, but just going through the first few updates should familiarize you with the basic interface and interactions. The other thing I've seen recommended in this thread is Arumba's video tutorial on Youtube, which isn't up-to-date either but is a little more recent.

The trouble is that the game flow depends on your basic situation: are you Catholic, Muslim, Tribal, or Nomadic? Are you basically in peace, expanding as fast as possible, playing the intrigue game, curbing internal dissent, or imminently threatened by conquest? Depending on how you choose your start, and how situations change, the specific mechanics to focus on to start vary in importance. I think as long as you take the time to understand how inheritance law/claims work (which is most critical if you're in a situation like being a Catholic or under an inheritance law like Gavelkind instead of Primogeniture) the rest is mostly a matter of reading tooltips carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I wish the game would warn me about not giving away land to random courtiers who on their death will pass it on to some random king. Had to bribe my council to change laws and start a war just to revoke that poor guy's title again.

Oh and is it a bad idea to start wars for weak claims halfway across the continent? Should I try to keep my holdings connected to each other or does it not really matter?

• Locked thread