Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Zach Lowe saying that Whiteside has a stipulation in his contract to give up money in his 4/98 if Miami signs Durant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I kind of like Big Al Jefferson and his plodding old man game but like doesn't this cut into Myles Turners minutes

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Spacebump posted:

One time they ran off this guy who immediately won defensive player of the year.
Another time, they did the same thing except the guy won MVP 2 years in a row.

Now about to let someone else max out one of the better FAs on the market. It's a good bit

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

rabidsquid posted:

I kind of like Big Al Jefferson and his plodding old man game but like doesn't this cut into Myles Turners minutes

Ian Mahinmi is gone after this (was gone anyway, he's going to get a ton of money from someone that the Pacers weren't going to match), so no.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Athanatos posted:

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/748916423934693377

That's not bad. He's got a slight injury worry right? Past that it's pretty good.

More than slight, he's been in and out a lot over the last two years. If they play him off the bench and limit his minutes, he can probably get through a season.

Great locker room guy, though. The local beat guys will love him.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Zach Lowe saying that Whiteside has a stipulation in his contract to give up money in his 4/98 if Miami signs Durant.

Sucker

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

All these first day deals for 3-4 years.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Christmas came in July this year and Santa brought me Mozgov on the Lakers for 4/64 :laffo:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I didn't even realize this was possible.

You guys remember how James Harden went to meet Kent Bazemore? Well so did Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler. Rockets are NOT loving around when it comes to Bazemore.

Is there a running summary of free agency somewhere?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

chunkles posted:

There's nothing on paper yet so they can work out stuff like that unofficially

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's certainly possible on a oral contract during the moratorium.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Riles needs to do work on Sunday

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

chunkles posted:

You guys remember how James Harden went to meet Kent Bazemore? Well so did Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler. Rockets are NOT loving around when it comes to Bazemore.

Is there a running summary of free agency somewhere?

Probably the headlines on hoopsrumors.com

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Why exactly are the Rockets going so hard on Bazemore? Is Harden going to play SF or something?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I like the Big Al signing. Good offense off the bench.

How much do the Pacers have left? 12 million? I wish they'd go after Courtney Lee and bring Ellis off the bench.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Why exactly are the Rockets going so hard on Bazemore? Is Harden going to play SF or something?

Bazemore played next to Korver more than any other player, and he had to cover the better of the two wings then. Him and Harden can manage.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Like 6 times on the page you're posting

Sorry, I'm bouncing between here and twitter and losing track of where I see what.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Very reasonable deal for Al Jefferson. Good signing for Indy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Libertine posted:

Very reasonable deal for Al Jefferson. Good signing for Indy.

Yeah agreed. More sane day-1 deals than I expected.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Tae posted:

Apparently he's good friends with Al Horford. So they're probably trying to sell them on a "come play with your buddy!" deal, although I don't know that they can sign both with the amount of money Bazemore's agent is asking.

They also may move Trevor Ariza, who is suddenly on a very good contract.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
So do the Nuggets even exist? Are they just a collective hallucination? They have something like $30 million in cap room now right?

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

I'm not a fan of Jefferson but this signing owns. $10 Million a year for Jefferson to play back-up center is a huge bench upgrade and absurdly good value with the cap going up to $110 million next year.

I'm assuming they're not going to be reducing Turner's playing time.

Larry Bird has made 3 big personnel moves now this off-season and I can't believe that not only have none of them been dumb, they've all been really good IMHO.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

chunkles posted:

Apparently he's good friends with Al Horford. So they're probably trying to sell them on a "come play with your buddy!" deal, although I don't know that they can sign both with the amount of money Bazemore's agent is asking.

They also may move Trevor Ariza, who is suddenly on a very good contract.

They have like 35 million if they renounce everyone but Montejunas.

Come on, Ariza's contract was excellent before the cap boom.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

It went from good to being one of the best value non-rookie contracts.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

leftist heap posted:

So do the Nuggets even exist? Are they just a collective hallucination? They have something like $30 million in cap room now right?

I haven't paid any attention to Denver but I would guess they are going to try to get some picks or young players via salary dumps and wait and see. They have no obvious holes in their roster, aren't a free agent destination and they don't want to stunt the development of their young guys.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

SeannieDarko posted:

I like the Big Al signing. Good offense off the bench.

How much do the Pacers have left? 12 million? I wish they'd go after Courtney Lee and bring Ellis off the bench.

With Mahinmi renounced as expected, they have about 10 mil, more if they trade Ellis. Extending Teague is out for now, so he will be a FA next season, which could be good or bad.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/marcjspearsespn/status/748924852505948160

Wow, forever?

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
e; beaten by morestuff for the millionth time

has a dude ever just been completely booted for life? Dude was UFA too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah Denver may just be content to play its current roster more at the end of the year. Or they can be a salary dump team at the trade deadline.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
N: https://twitter.com/jonathan_feigen/status/748924134080417793

V: Michael Beasley

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wow that's pretty severe.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It's not OJ Mayo it's OJ May

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/748925130055692289

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Terry Glenn posted:

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/748925420695760896

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Terry Glenn posted:

has a dude ever just been completely booted for life? Dude was UFA too.

My job is extremely boring

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Beas in Summer League going to score 40 a night.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Uh...OJ Mayo is the dumbest fucker in the world

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
he did more drugs than even the birdman. Let that sink in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So mayo was on secret probation I guess and failed that?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

morestuff posted:

Wow, forever?

SPED program: For the first violation, the player is suspended 20 games. For the second violation, the player is suspended 45 games. For the third violation, the player is dismissed from the league. Players who fail to comply with their program are fined $10,000, with increasing penalties for continued failure.

Players are also dismissed from the league if they are convicted in a court of law of distributing drugs, of if they are convicted of the use or possession of a prohibited substance other than marijuana. When a player is dismissed from the league his contract is voided (see question number 110), and he is disqualified from playing in the NBA for at least two years.

Gotta have that mature, veteran presence there to show the rookies how it's done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Whew. I'm glad Bird is going to dodge the OJ Mayo bullet again.

• Locked thread