Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Chomp8645 posted:

Tournament Talk Folks!

We have nine names so far so we're probably going to move ahead with something. If we could get to 16 players or more for a strong bracket that would be just swell! We will probably not start the tournament until at least the weekend of July 8th so the holiday doesn't mess anybody up and we can get more names. Noted Total War Guy and long time club member Yukitsu is going to handle the formal running of the tournament and we're working on the actual rules.

Join the group here (it's public): http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights

Post in this thread if you want to play: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights/discussions/0/358415738186952298/

I'm going to fling out what I'm thinking of right now and want to hear what people think about the rules. I'll have them finalized by Monday based on feedback and I'll have the brackets ready for the 8th.

First, I want each match to be a best of 5, each faction once per opponent. That way we won't see each match be an Empire or Vampire match and it promises to show even the top players with a wide variety of factions.

To avoid too much faction counterpicking, I want each player to send me a list of 5 factions that they'll play in order. So if I wanted to lead off with Empire and end with Vampires, I may send a list saying Empire, Greenskins, Chaos, Brettonia, Vampire Counts and would play them in that order against my opponents list.

To reduce the risk of a clean sweep stomp, I'm going to allow a player that's down 2 matches and about to face elimination a chance to recover by selecting their faction for game 3. This can be any faction they want, even if it's later on their list or if they've already played it. To give them the edge, they're allowed to pick their faction after seeing their opponent's faction.

I'm going to go along with a variant of the ESL rules for composition.
-Max 1 death magic
-Max 2 heroes (not including the lord)
-Max 6 of any one unit
-Max 2 of ranged cavalry
-Max 2 of demigryph knights and any giant. (giants, varghulf, arachnarok etc.)

I'll sit and wait for the patch to really solidify, I may remove the small cap on demigryphs if the nerf was effective, or I may need to add a unit cap to blood knights as well who are a similar type of unit.

Since there is literally nothing at stake and I want this to be a super casual tournament, I'm going to be running it single elimination unless you all would rather have it be double elimination.

Also, since I'm now organizing and running this thing, I obviously won't be competing, but I'll still be happy to take on any challengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh god I just bought this am I going to turn into one of those "grognards" now?

Anything I should know before diving in that isnt' covered in the OP? Are the DLC's pure gravy or do they add significant gameplay elements that would make them worth purchasing right off?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anything I should know before diving in?

You need to know how to correctly grow a beard out of your neck, that's very important. You'll also want a pseudo knowledge of history and battles so you can whinge about things without actually knowing what you're talking about and there's about 5000000 pages of lore that's actually rather awesome that you'll need to know.

DLCs are pure gravy unless you're super competitive in multiplayer and believe new faction X is actually overpowered. I always recommend you snipe the factions that most interest you. The rest even if they're powerful will probably either get patched or people will find out they were never that amazing to begin with.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yukitsu posted:

I'm going to fling out what I'm thinking of right now and want to hear what people think about the rules. I'll have them finalized by Monday based on feedback and I'll have the brackets ready for the 8th.

I am one of the people interested and I am perfectly down with those rules, single elimination included.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Deified Data posted:

So as Empire does the AI usually break all pacts and chain war declarations on you from all corners of the globe around turn 40 or so? All I did was take out Middenland.

Unless you carefully manage diplomacy on higher difficulties, Empire have a really bad time. But it's actually very straightforward, just shove gold down their pants constantly until you get a couple treaties for the passive diplo relations bonus. Given your central location you'll just get random war decs whenever. On my legendary campaign I spent the first 20-40 turns just getting all of the west and north sweet with me through endless bribing so that I could finally expand east. I actually never conquered another Empire faction besides Marienburg and confederated the entire Empire eventually.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 1, 2016

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Yukitsu posted:

First, I want each match to be a best of 5, each faction once per opponent. That way we won't see each match be an Empire or Vampire match and it promises to show even the top players with a wide variety of factions.

To avoid too much faction counterpicking, I want each player to send me a list of 5 factions that they'll play in order. So if I wanted to lead off with Empire and end with Vampires, I may send a list saying Empire, Greenskins, Chaos, Brettonia, Vampire Counts and would play them in that order against my opponents list.

To reduce the risk of a clean sweep stomp, I'm going to allow a player that's down 2 matches and about to face elimination a chance to recover by selecting their faction for game 3. This can be any faction they want, even if it's later on their list or if they've already played it. To give them the edge, they're allowed to pick their faction after seeing their opponent's faction.

I'm going to go along with a variant of the ESL rules for composition.
-Max 1 death magic
-Max 2 heroes (not including the lord)
-Max 6 of any one unit
-Max 2 of ranged cavalry
-Max 2 of demigryph knights and any giant. (giants, varghulf, arachnarok etc.)

I'll sit and wait for the patch to really solidify, I may remove the small cap on demigryphs if the nerf was effective, or I may need to add a unit cap to blood knights as well who are a similar type of unit.

Since there is literally nothing at stake and I want this to be a super casual tournament, I'm going to be running it single elimination unless you all would rather have it be double elimination.

Also, since I'm now organizing and running this thing, I obviously won't be competing, but I'll still be happy to take on any challengers.
This is a Good Ruleset, but I will have to back out of saying I'd participate in the tournament. I'm not available between July 4-14 and these next couple of days are pretty intense with work, Canada Day and the weekend be damned. :(

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Olive Branch posted:

This is a Good Ruleset, but I will have to back out of saying I'd participate in the tournament. I'm not available between July 4-14 and these next couple of days are pretty intense with work, Canada Day and the weekend be damned. :(

I wouldn't worry too much, brackets won't even be started until the 8th. I planned on giving fairly lax match deadlines to begin with since this is gonna be pretty casual.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

who were you, because if you're vamps or orcs NAPs with empire mean almost nothing

I'm Empire, and suddenly both of the Dwarf factions next to me and half of Bretonnia has declared war. I haven't trespassed or attacked any of their allies, just Nordland and Middenland.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Deified Data posted:

I'm Empire, and suddenly both of the Dwarf factions next to me and half of Bretonnia has declared war. I haven't trespassed or attacked any of their allies, just Nordland and Middenland.

What does their diplomacy readout look like?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Yukitsu posted:

As one of the people who signed up (Sammvt on steam) all this sounds great to me.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Anything I should know before diving in that isnt' covered in the OP? Are the DLC's pure gravy or do they add significant gameplay elements that would make them worth purchasing right off?

The gore DLC is mostly cosmetic with a few extra events. Not really necessary but kind of fun to see the animations. The Chaos Warriors are a fun additional faction, but the base game comes with 4 great factions anyway so you can just pick it up when you get bored of the ones that are included.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tehan posted:

When playing as dwarves, is there a better solution to the Grimgor Problem than a dozen cannon focus firing on his face for the entire battle?

Ignore Grimgor and destroy his army, then surround until his morale breaks. Kiting him around can help. If you have a really beefed up Ungrim you can try going to-to-toe, especially if he has backup from some hammerers or thunderers.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Do we have a group hangout voice chat for people who play multiplayer?

Back in the day we had quite a few playing Napoleon, it's amazing how much faster you can get 2v2 and larger games started with non idiots.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So orc campaign on hard. After a lot of fighting with the savage orcs I finally kill them off by letting grimgor go around the south edge of the map and conquer all their unprotected settlements. Then I easily killed off the dwarfs. I hold the entire south, still need to kill off the empire, but I wonder if I should bother since in my total war experience I have already won?
Also, you can get pretty far just using boys, wolves and goblin archers

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Captain Beans posted:

Do we have a group hangout voice chat for people who play multiplayer?

Back in the day we had quite a few playing Napoleon, it's amazing how much faster you can get 2v2 and larger games started with non idiots.

There is but people aren't usually in it. There's a goons total war group but I've never seen anyone in there.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Yukitsu posted:

:words:

Sweet. How should we send that preferred list to you?

Also what's the discord/teamspeak/mumble/whatever for TWWH goons?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Cardiac posted:

So orc campaign on hard. After a lot of fighting with the savage orcs I finally kill them off by letting grimgor go around the south edge of the map and conquer all their unprotected settlements. Then I easily killed off the dwarfs. I hold the entire south, still need to kill off the empire, but I wonder if I should bother since in my total war experience I have already won?

Gotta get the cheevos, so yes, finish the game.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
There's a discord a few of us have been using to organize a few casual matches that anyone can join, you can use it to organize the tournament too if you want so you don't have to make a new one:

https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What's the mod that lets you co-op the same race?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Trujillo posted:

There's a discord a few of us have been using to organize a few casual matches that anyone can join, you can use it to organize the tournament too if you want so you don't have to make a new one:

https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ

This should probably be stuck in the OP so more people can see it.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Captain Beans posted:

You can get away with majority ultra settings with something like a 970 provided your CPU is beefy (i7 or overclocked i5). If you are looking to upgrade some components, post your whole pc specs so we can give the best suggestions.

i5-4670 @ 3.4GHz
16 GB RAM
nVidia GTX 760
Windows 7

It's longer in tooth than I thought. Probably... three or four years old now?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
Is there any way other than war to eject a trespassing army of a non-hostile foreign power? Brettonia is trespassing in Marienburg with the clear intent of destroying the Imperial Military Academy, and if they do, they're gonna become the new IMA. But they're friendly, and trade partners, so I don't want to kill them if I don't have to.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You could Siege the IMA for a while? It seems that you can't attack a settlement while someone else is sieging it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Its kind of fun just running through and destroying Franz as a sort of victory lap. And chaos is a decent challenge since just boyz, wolves, and archers will not work on their chaos warriors.

Also, unless the balance patch changed things, arrer boyz do more damage and have larger range even with the supposed accuracy difference.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

You could Siege the IMA for a while? It seems that you can't attack a settlement while someone else is sieging it.

You know, I hadn't thought of that. I'd rather be able to tell the shitbags to get the gently caress out of my house, but this will do in the mean time. Thanks.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

How does the gift bonus work in diplomacy? It seems like a small gift gives +10 initially and drops off over time. Does that mean the only way to get rid of the massive -40 malus for being a great power is to save up a mountain of cash and give large gifts? My empire games always devolve into endless war where I can't even consolidate my conquests.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

How does the gift bonus work in diplomacy? It seems like a small gift gives +10 initially and drops off over time. Does that mean the only way to get rid of the massive -40 malus for being a great power is to save up a mountain of cash and give large gifts? My empire games always devolve into endless war where I can't even consolidate my conquests.

Try and make friends before being a great power. Alliances and fighting the right people count for a lot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I disabled the Great Power penalty myself. It made no sense to me and kinda disabled diplomacy in the lategame.
(I know this means I'm not truly played on Hard. So what.)

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Why doesn't it make sense? Everyone hates superpowers. Plus it helps ensure a minor inconvenience in the late game because if you keep your chaos-invasion love points the AI doesn't stand the slightest chance against you.

Instead of just generally curbstomping everyone you have to take a coupe of turns to consolidate your armies before curbstomping everyone

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So can I not save game mid combat then? No quick saving?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

So can I not save game mid combat then? No quick saving?

Can't save in combat, but ctrl-s will quicksave on the campaign map.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Combat is pretty quick though, the fastest it's been in the Total War series.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Fangz posted:

Try and make friends before being a great power. Alliances and fighting the right people count for a lot.

So what do people do? Just sit around on 2 provinces or something and make friends?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What are the stat boosts for each level of veterancy?

What are the kill ratios that determine close/decisive/pyrrhic/heroic win/loss?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

So what do people do? Just sit around on 2 provinces or something and make friends?

Just have a plan. Decide who your friends are likely to be, and who your enemies will be. Butter up your friends with bribes or sacking the territory of their enemies, get them into trade deals with you, then defensive alliances.

Don't try and be neutral with everyone, have some true buddies to watch your back.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

WarpedLichen posted:

1) build your economy and tech up
2) have 3 decent+ armies
3) declare war on everyone

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Modding goons, I'm encountering a weird issue. I've been trying to update a fairly simple mod that the creator seemed to have abandoned, specifically a rebalance to skill points, general / hero level caps, and XP-to-level. At first I just manually edited their .pack with PFM, but the changes didn't apply in-game. Thwarted, I tried creating a new mod, adding the tables from data.pack, and hand-entering the values. That mod wouldn't apply in-game either. After several more attempts at this, lo and behold, the original creator showed up and updated his mod, and that one works. So while my work on this project is now obsolete, I'm very curious as to why my files simply refuse to apply in-game, either to existing saves or to new campaigns, especially since I'd like to make some other mods in the future.

So, what might prevent a mod from loading if I've ensured that the mod is selected and there's no other conflicting mods (by virtue of disabling them all)?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kestral posted:

Modding goons, I'm encountering a weird issue. I've been trying to update a fairly simple mod that the creator seemed to have abandoned, specifically a rebalance to skill points, general / hero level caps, and XP-to-level. At first I just manually edited their .pack with PFM, but the changes didn't apply in-game. Thwarted, I tried creating a new mod, adding the tables from data.pack, and hand-entering the values. That mod wouldn't apply in-game either. After several more attempts at this, lo and behold, the original creator showed up and updated his mod, and that one works. So while my work on this project is now obsolete, I'm very curious as to why my files simply refuse to apply in-game, either to existing saves or to new campaigns, especially since I'd like to make some other mods in the future.

So, what might prevent a mod from loading if I've ensured that the mod is selected and there's no other conflicting mods (by virtue of disabling them all)?

Just a small thing but, have you been trying to do the changes in the data folder where all the mods from steam are put? For some reason the game hates doing this and will just say NO, NOOOOOOO and disable any mods made or changed therein. If its not, then i have no idea myself :shrug:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The morale adjustments on harder difficulties really make for absurd outcomes. Orc boar boyz charging into the back of goblin spearmen --> orc boar boyz break after 15 seconds of combat. Sure, sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Gejnor posted:

Just a small thing but, have you been trying to do the changes in the data folder where all the mods from steam are put? For some reason the game hates doing this and will just say NO, NOOOOOOO and disable any mods made or changed therein. If its not, then i have no idea myself :shrug:

Yeeeep, that's exactly what I've been doing. Where should I locate the files instead?

• Locked thread