Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

The Lord of Hats posted:

That isn't the payoff, the payoff is that now your mana dork you don't need any more is a 4/6 that can attack.

I know, my point is why did they give it that ability at all, when it's completely meaningless on a 4/6 that late in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am glad they printed Tamiyo because I thought that green and white could use some good cards to make them competitive :)

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I know, my point is why did they give it that ability at all, when it's completely meaningless on a 4/6 that late in the game.

I think they just had room on the card and shot for flavour

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Also, flipped werewolves keep the abilities they have in their front side, but often powered-up. It's about continuity.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

R&D is in love with the idea that Eldrazi have their own mana dorks but they are huge and therefore useless as mana dorks.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Mikujin posted:

You cannot include Wastes in your limited decks if you didn't draft them. They are not in any set but OGW.

Disappointing to see Tamiyo get essentially written out of future content, especially since even her boring "Eh I like moons and puzzles" schtick is still somehow more endearing than any of Jace's character. Also kind of a tired and boring premise to see Liliana, largely a villainous anti-hero, suddenly decide "You know what, friendship really IS magic guys."

It just feels like all of SOI feels like a really transparent "Hey guys, you'll never guess who's here?" with EMN turning out to be "GOTCHA! It was Emrakul all along! Eldrazi Set 2: Electric Boogaloo!" WotC creative staff probably gets even less funding than their technical staff, if this is what we have to go on. I know they've stopped in at FNMs to ask for technical help in the past, anyone who writes fanfic get asked at FNMs to write any cool stories for WotC? I feel like they'll take just about anything.

Aren't wastes basic? I thought you could run any basic lands in draft.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Retromancer posted:

You can't run snow-covered mountains in a set that they weren't printed in, same deal. They have to be drafted because they aren't in the land slot.

quote:

In Limited events (including Sealed Deck and Booster Draft), Wastes must be in your card pool to be included in your deck. You can’t add Wastes to your card pool in the same way that you can add other basic lands.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Entropic posted:

I want altered art where instead of the gatewatch symbol it says CHA on the moon.

same but CHIM

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Retromancer posted:

Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest are the only basic land cards that can be run in whatever numbers you choose in limited decks. Other basics (Snow-Covered, Wastes) can be included in any number in constructed decks, but can only be included in limited decks if you drafted them or opened them in your sealed pool.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

I'm seeing this sentiment a lot. Explain to someone who started in Worldwake what a cool spell looks like that doesn't deal with creatures or is a combo card. Coolest thing I've got is cruel ultimatum. Everything else either draws you cards do you can play your evasive beaters, wipes the board so you can play your evasive beaters, or makes a lot of little guys to beat guys.

5C control with spells like Cruel Ultimatum and Cryptic were powerful and interesting to play, but they were just raw power. The kind of stuff I miss a lot is stuff like Astral Slide, which was insanely fun and cool and unique, Or decks where individually none of the pieces were spectacular but together were just great like U/B Madness where suddenly Aquomeba was a real threat and Circular Logic was strong permission. Just because a deck finishes with a combo isn't necessarily broken and un-fun either. Playing with Buried Alive, Stitch Together and Entomb was powerful and fun, but you were bringing back Phantom Nishoba, it was relatively tame compared to the kind of value creatures you can throw down these days. You had stuff like Upheaval Tog, for sure, but that deck was still a blast to play with and against, and just as often you'd have a deck that hinges on Fires of Yavimaya.

It's also really hard to explain how differently the game played out when the best creatures around was like, Flametongue Kavu. The pace was very different, and as much as playing around UU hard counter was harder when the impact of a single creature was a lot lower it created environments were say, Plowunder was absolutely back-breaking.

You're never going to see that again, a deck of individually bad cards that together are amazing like UG Madness, or something as crazy different as Astral Slide. Right now the best decks are always a collection of THE BEST BODIES or like right now the best bodies, or the best way to get the bodies on the field like CoCo. It's better for coverage, random casual players prefer it, and its just going to be that way forever and as someone who got to cast Tinker for Phyrexian Processor it's just so boring. The game played a lot differently then, you rarely had the thing you have today where a player has lost, but a clogged up and miserable board means were going to have to wait seven turns before its over. I'll take a Necro Combo Summer, or an Urza's clusterfuck any day over the endless slog of midrange deck crashing into midrange decks.

I'm definitely in the minority though, so I'd just settle for like a bone thrown my way now and again, let me lose a million FNM matches with a bad Astral Slide 2.0, id prefer that to winning forever with some Gxx list in perpetuity.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 1, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
And another part of the three-color walker chart is filled.

gently caress you now I want a Morrowind (or ES in general) set.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

We just had one of the best decks in the format like six months ago be a dumpster pile of commons and uncommons backed up by Rally the Ancestors, a spell that everyone thought was going to be unplayable at release.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The best ever spell deck in mtg, was a couple of guys who had been friends since Mirage block. One was named Taniwha, and the other was Equipoise.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I agree with the post by the Astral Slide guy

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I also think Magic was a lot better when I was 12.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I will say though that it is incredibly shocking to me that after they made creatures better OLS draft all star Nantuko Husk went on to be the key card in a constructed deck like 15 years later

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Magic was pretty bad when I was twelve.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Alaan posted:

We just had one of the best decks in the format like six months ago be a dumpster pile of commons and uncommons backed up by Rally the Ancestors, a spell that everyone thought was going to be unplayable at release.

I mean Rally.

A) Had Collected Company

B) Was filled with Value Creatures like Elvish Mystic and Baby-Jace.

Just because the rarity of cards like Cutthroat, Sidi's Faithful, and Grim Haruspex is common and uncommon doesn't make it less boring to me that they are better than any spells because creatures are so consistently pushed.

At the end of the day, its all subjective, if suddenly dumping bodies onto the field from your graveyard was opposed to your hand as enough of a shake-up to the previous strategies for you, cool, it felt like more of the same to me.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 1, 2016

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Oh hey more green and white stuff

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I feel like collective brutality could have been a playable card if it was instant. Should have also been uncommon. For it to be rare and a sorcery it makes more sense for it to be 1 cmc.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

rabidsquid posted:

Magic was pretty bad when I was twelve.

I was 12 during Urza's block so it was pretty bad when I was 12 too.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I agree with the post by the Astral Slide guy

Same. Powerful creatures are good, modern design is not good. I still remember opening a Spiritmonger in the day and I couldn't believe what an absurdly powerful card it was. How could they print a 5 mana 6/6 that gets huge and is practically unkillable?! Now it probably wouldn't be good enough for standard, even if BGx was a good deck.

Basically what I'm saying is give me Pernicious Deed except make it also hit planeswalkers. That'll fix standard.

Except that it would just get Dromoka's Commanded away the turn you cast it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Wurzag posted:

Oh hey more green and white stuff

Change thread title please.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Magic: The Gathering: Oh hey more green and white stuff

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Green has lots of limitations. For example, its best 2-drop requires you to have lands in your deck to be good.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

literally the only reason green got a good card here is that it's also got blue in the casting cost.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I hear oath of nissa makes this card really easy to cast and is also played in decks that like to cast creatures and planeswalkers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Doesn't immediately and overwhelmingly solve Avacyn/Coco, Black gets nothing good, literal waste of cardboard, Maro should be tried for war crimes IRL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I hear oath of nissa makes this card really easy to cast and is also played in decks that like to cast creatures and planeswalkers.

I still would play the 4th Gideon over the 1st Tamiyo.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Bugsy posted:

Hymn'rakul

This is the one card that makes me want to create a B/G Delirium deck. Buuuuuut I doubt if it's good.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I'm sure you can find something to do with it, most good limited decks have some kind of mana sink. Maybe you can hardcast an emerge card, or maybe you can cast a 4-drop and a 5-drop in the same turn. Or maybe you can cast and flip another Werewolf in the same turn.

New Tamiyo is cool, I like that Tamiyo gets absolutely ridiculous ultimates. Like, Omniscience wasn't good enough, draw three cards too, even though her + ability has been drawing a shitload of cards already.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I was 12 during Urza's block so it was pretty bad when I was 12 too.

Same. Powerful creatures are good, modern design is not good. I still remember opening a Spiritmonger in the day and I couldn't believe what an absurdly powerful card it was. How could they print a 5 mana 6/6 that gets huge and is practically unkillable?! Now it probably wouldn't be good enough for standard, even if BGx was a good deck.

Basically what I'm saying is give me Pernicious Deed except make it also hit planeswalkers. That'll fix standard.

Except that it would just get Dromoka's Commanded away the turn you cast it.

The best part about Spiritmonger is it looked absurdly powerful at face value and was certainly better than perhaps any creature printed to date but it was still OK because you could still counter it for two mana or wrath it or chump block it forever or whatever, you could deal with it. The card was an absolute home run

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Since lily and emmy are the focus of this set lily better be forced as gently caress. She might be the last hope to play anything not green and white.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Doubling Season -> Tamiyo seems quite good. Kindof feel like the card doesn't actually do that much in general though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

"Draw cards by doing combat damage" is a pretty green thing.

i meant the meta-reason , going from mono-blue to full bant is quite the shift

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

Since lily and emmy are the focus of this set lily better be forced as gently caress. She might be the last hope to play anything not green and white.

We still don't have a 2CMC version yet. :peanut:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also curiosity was blue before it was green god durn it

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

also curiosity was blue before it was green god durn it

Yes, in the era where blue had everything and green had ramp and giant growth and basically nothing else

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Chill la Chill posted:

We still don't have a 2CMC version yet. :peanut:

I'm definitely looking forward to Tibalt, but black.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Blue had literally everything and if we'r ebeing honest Birds of Paradise was actually a blue card. There wasn't a green card until well after Primeval Titan, arguably there might not be any yet. It's just blue cards.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ferrinus posted:

Eight with double strike, vigilance, and a cooperative opponent!

Add a fight spell, ten. Ka-ching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

guys my uncle at magic says they will only make green and white cards in the future

• Locked thread