Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Minority Deport posted:

Why did they do this?

Did they decide they really only needed two villains (nicol and the phyrexians) or something?

I don't know why you'd think this would stop Emrakul from coming back when next they want to use her. It's just a resolution for the current plot so that another plot can move forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Oath of Liliana is gonna have some bad flavour text.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Minority Deport posted:

Why did they do this?

Did they decide they really only needed two villains (nicol and the phyrexians) or something?

Ashiok and her god baby are still floating around somewhere as well.

As is Ob Nixilis.

Kinda sad that Garruk didn't show up in this though.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Welp, I didn't think mono-color in shadows draft was the way to go but when you're open you're open.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

JerryLee posted:

Nah, devoid was pretty clearly a general thing; there are Kozilek cards and even an Emrakul card in BFZ with devoid. It's ingest that was specifically Ulamog, I think.

I had already forgotten Ingest existed. What a great mechanic. :geno:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Logicblade posted:

"I... it's not like I'm joining the Gatewatch for you, baka!!"

-Liliana to Jace, probably

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

JerryLee posted:

"I... it's not like I'm joining the Gatewatch for you, baka!!"

-Liliana to Jace, probably

Please don’t be disrespectful of the story. You might not care but others do.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Symphonie posted:

I don't know why you'd think this would stop Emrakul from coming back when next they want to use her. It's just a resolution for the current plot so that another plot can move forward.

What the gently caress happened to Emrakul, some moon bullshit?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
With every GW deck making a standard top 8, my bloodlust grows

anglachel
May 28, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

tournament players are < 20% of all magic players and < 10% of wotcs income

And yet when people go on about "this card is worth X or Y!" well it's cause of those 10 percent. Kitchen table magic players is why Gideon is plus 20 dollars and what drives the lottery tickets. And you can bet Kitchen table players still go on about "omg this card is worth X or Y!" and they don't ever realize that the vast majority of cards go down after they rotate out of standard, and will quote the maximum price they saw when they first looked it up forever and ever amen

Kilo147 posted:

What the gently caress happened to Emrakul, some moon bullshit?

I mean "moon bullshit" was foreshadowed all the way back to the original Innistrad set. Like there was more setup for this than "Nissa uses Bond of Mortality and Chandra uses Channel plus Fall of the Titans!" that was the resolution of the other two. Plus Emrakul could get out, and will have an army of cultists wanting to bust her out still. Crazy cult that wants to destroy the moon hmm

anglachel fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 1, 2016

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I meant that page linked was hella small and I can't read but two words. How'd they do it? Helvault? Other?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Minority Deport posted:

Why did they do this?

They realised that going "the villains won" and leaving the plane for several years was kind of dumb

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

God the flavor department can make really cool build up but cant for the life of them make a good finale.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/26243

What the heck is going on with Allosaurus Rider?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
To be fair, I'd rather have Avacyn be baller than have her be as terrible as:
  • The entire Weatherlight Crew
  • Konda/Toshiro/Michiko etc.
  • Most of the Pit Fighters not named Akroma
  • Agrus Kos/Radiant/Teysa/Szadek

Sure, balanced would be ideal, and they have gotten a bit better overall with headliner legends, but I'm still happier with a bit too good over completely unplayable.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Samael posted:

http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/26243

What the heck is going on with Allosaurus Rider?

Play it on T3 and immediately cast the new pod spell for a 9-or-less drop that wins you the game.

It's bad.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Retromancer posted:

Ashiok and her god baby are still floating around somewhere as well.

As is Ob Nixilis.

Kinda sad that Garruk didn't show up in this though.

Ashiok's god baby got smothered in its crib by Ephara almost immediately, and mostly just proved that 1) Ashiok could do that, and 2) Ashiok's invisibility cloak from the gods worked. Ashiok proceeded to go, "Hm, interesting, potential here" and hosed off into the aether. Phenax went, "Heh, that was actually amusing, glad I gave them that cloak" and hosed off to twirl his Snidley Whiplash stache.

Also I'm laying 30% odds that Tibbles is behind the Kaladesh Revolution in some form or other.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Retromancer posted:

Run wastes.

You cannot include Wastes in your limited decks if you didn't draft them. They are not in any set but OGW.

Disappointing to see Tamiyo get essentially written out of future content, especially since even her boring "Eh I like moons and puzzles" schtick is still somehow more endearing than any of Jace's character. Also kind of a tired and boring premise to see Liliana, largely a villainous anti-hero, suddenly decide "You know what, friendship really IS magic guys."

It just feels like all of SOI feels like a really transparent "Hey guys, you'll never guess who's here?" with EMN turning out to be "GOTCHA! It was Emrakul all along! Eldrazi Set 2: Electric Boogaloo!" WotC creative staff probably gets even less funding than their technical staff, if this is what we have to go on. I know they've stopped in at FNMs to ask for technical help in the past, anyone who writes fanfic get asked at FNMs to write any cool stories for WotC? I feel like they'll take just about anything.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

The words were "get ahead on cards". Yeah it's not a draw 2 so there's no immediate card advantage but in the context of decks that would want to play it, it's definitely a constructed-playable card selection/advantage spell in green and will net you more than just replacing itself in a deck that can exploit self-mill.
I clearly meant card-advantage. It's probably just about constructed playable in Delirium decks but holding it up as an example of a busted card is absolutely ridiculous. GWx midrange will not be paying 2 mana and cutting a CoCo target to do basically nothing. I'd also point out how poorly it compares to previous versions of this effect like Grisly Salvage.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Mikujin posted:

. Also kind of a tired and boring premise to see Liliana, largely a villainous anti-hero, suddenly decide "You know what, friendship really IS magic guys."

Except Lilly basically went "FINE I'll job your dumb superhero team... hey... superheroes fight the bad guys, right? Well I totally know two really bad demons that are kinda holding onto my soul... also this magic veil is kinda super cursed and it would be swell if you guys could make that stop. Oh yes, no, I'm totally good and on board, no ulterior motives. Jace agrees, right smoochie?'

I mean Creative will make her go full tsundere, but as written, she's gonna drop the jacetice league like a bad habit as soon as they fix her poo poo

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

It wouldn't surprise me if Ashiok showed up in Kaladesh block (or even if he's from there originally).

Edit: actually gently caress it I'm going to bet it's Ashiok kicking off revolution there for some reason or another.

Wurzag fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 1, 2016

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Wurzag posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Ashiok showed up in Kaladesh block (or even if he's from there originally).

Edit: actually gently caress it I'm going to bet it's Ashiok kicking off revolution there for some reason or another.

No, it's going to be new phyrexia, then they get lit on fire and trapped in an ornithopter.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Logicblade posted:

I don't know, if the flavor text is just "Happy now?" then that'll get a chuckle out of me.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The pseudo-monstrous is a bit boring on the Eldrazi werewolves, but it's probably the best way to push a tribal deck toward being constructed playable since as mentioned above, the activation costs let you use your mana while flipping your traditional werewolves.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

C-Euro posted:

I don't know, if the flavor text is just "Happy now?" then that'll get a chuckle out of me.

that would be a homerun, so it won't be obv

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Zemyla posted:

So instead, you have the correct answer be "don't play red". I fail to see how this is an improveent.

what gets me about that is that he's calling lightning bolt degenerate, in a format with Jace TMS and primeval titan. It was also a format with a variety of red decks, Jund, boros bushwhacker and RDW all come to mind.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

born on a buy you posted:

tournament players are < 20% of all magic players and < 10% of wotcs income

You see my point then.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Logicblade posted:

I hope the flavour text is literally just "Happy now?" -- Liliana Vess

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Ok so they're just binding her to the moon then?

Well alright. That leaves enough room to bring er back at some point.

I suppose there's nothing stopping them from just making new Eldrazi Titans too though- it's not written in stone anywhere that there's just the three right?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly from a story telling standpoint, killing off ulamog and kozilek made sense, so the eldrazi have a unified face in emrakul. The gatewatch winning a victory but not a decisive one against emrakul also makes sense because they're still trying to build them up as a badass team, they can't lose so early but killing off emrakul removes the eldrazi forever.

So basically the overall plot structure is fine but almost every single detail is extremely stupid.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly from a story telling standpoint, killing off ulamog and kozilek made sense, so the eldrazi have a unified face in emrakul. The gatewatch winning a victory but not a decisive one against emrakul also makes sense because they're still trying to build them up as a badass team, they can't lose so early but killing off emrakul removes the eldrazi forever.

So basically the overall plot structure is fine but almost every single detail is extremely stupid.

Still a better resolution than RTR's "there's a maze for some reason? Let's have a race through it.

Oh, Jace won."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So what are Tamiyo's colors going to be?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Neat stuff

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

Neat stuff

They both seem pretty bad...

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Thou shalt love the tentacle!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Rinkles posted:

So what are Tamiyo's colors going to be?

I would normally guess Mono-U, but given we have Jace around, I would lean towards either U/W, or she's still mono-U but at a low CMC.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Probably U/W, because she's incredibly orderly about her research.

loving look at that journal, she's also got an assistant.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

They both seem pretty bad...

Collective Brutality would be a reasonable card purely as a charm but having that discard ability makes it a lot stronger.

Its removal, burn, and disruption all at once, and it looks like a pretty reasonable discard outlet for Modern Dredge maybe?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
where's the fucken planeswalkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

where's the fucken planeswalkers

Probably with today's official batch. Like every Friday during spoiler season.

• Locked thread