Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

All I know about LF was that Lowtax got visited by the Secret Service, then used that as an impetus to shut LF down. What was some of the poo poo "the 4" got up to, aside from that whole "threatening the president" bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Recent Goon here, please share your history lesson.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

All I know about LF was that Lowtax got visited by the Secret Service, then used that as an impetus to shut LF down. What was some of the poo poo "the 4" got up to, aside from that whole "threatening the president" bit?

That's really pretty much it. They, in an incredibly obviously sarcastic manner, "threatened" to kill Obama and that got the Secret Service to visit Lowtax.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That's really pretty much it. They, in an incredibly obviously sarcastic manner, "threatened" to kill Obama and that got the Secret Service to visit Lowtax.

One dude literally said "I can see where Marine One takes off from my office, what's the range on an RPG?"

The Secret Service usually doesn't see the humor in that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

zakharov posted:

One dude literally said "I can see where Marine One takes off from my office, what's the range on an RPG?"

I get that, I'm just saying there really isn't much more to the story than that. The interesting part is the consequences, not what caused them.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. My only real point is that it's a really, really loving dumb idea to threaten the president no matter how much hyperbole or """irony""" you might be using.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like cracking jokes about bombs at the airport metal detector. Sure everyone there can obviously tell you're joking, or at least not a real threat. But they can't afford to allow even the impression that an "it's a prank, bro" defense will hold water. It's more about setting examples and creating deterrence for when a real threat arises.

Then again it would probably be smarter to let actual terrorists/assassins think it's safe to plan in the open so they can be nabbed, than to scare them into hiding in darker places where nobody will rat them out.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Indian MRAs always make me :psyduck:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Doing a Google search on LF caused me to stumble upon this old Reddit thread.

quote:

I guess never meet your hero has never been as relevant as it has been now.

I've had my favorite let's players retweet and favorite tweets fom Alex Lifschitz, Matt Binder, Sarkeesian, Jonathan Macintosh etc. they've several times pronounced their hate of gamergate. They spew misinformation and lies all the time and it makes me so sad.

Can anyone explain what happened since long before this whole ordeal they never mentioned the whole SJW rhetoric now they've gone "full macintosh"

Never meet your heroes kids.

quote:

Your default narrative setting is not apolitical
The personal is political
There is no neutral on a moving train
If you're not fighting the status quo, you're defending it
You're either with us or against us
Only Siths deal in absolutes

quote:

SJW ideology fills a religion-shaped hole, in a world where religion (with thanks to scientific advancement and education) is less and less relevant. It has the same "chosen one" feeling as religion (you are one of the select few who truly 'sees' the world as it is (false consciousness etc)) but it also massages the ego, in that it's wrapped up in a thin veneer of intellectualism. It's not intellectual in any way, of course, but since academia as a whole is considered to be an intellectual arena, and humanities departments are the breeding-ground of SJW ideology - if you are particularly vulnerable to the cognitive bias that is the Dunning-Kruger effect (as many of these people seem to be) then SJW ideology can make you feel very important and intelligent indeed.

TL:DR - SJW ideology is, to people bereft of any capacity for self-reflection, an easy, intellectually untaxing way to feel wholesome, intelligent and part of a special 'all-seeing' group.

quote:

Saw this on 8chan (I think) a while ago and saved it copying here:

LF.

More specifically Lowtax and FYAD hated LF because it was more popular than FYAD. FYAD has this weird thing where they talk about how much they don't care about the internet but their whole lives revolve around FYAD; FYAD is Lowtax's favorite forum.

LF was pretty self-contained that started as an ironic Ron Paul forum and eventually became leftist. There were actually lots of posters who were both smart and able to be funny and post about social causes without being thought policing SJW faggots; you know reasonable people. The problem is that you had posters who came in from offsite and these were people who were depressed and angry at where they were in life and a great many of them had miscellaneous mental issues. They used leftism and social justice as excuses to scream, shout and harass at the world they thought was responsible for their situations; the prime example of that was a poster named maggotmaster who once threatened to assassinate the Obama which got Lowtax in trouble with the Secret Service. Goons like to say that's what caused LF to be closed but that's not it at all; in reality it was closed for making fun of Groverhaus, a house belong to a mod named Grover where he built dangerous, incompetent additions to it. They were posting publicly available pictures but mod sass (as making fun of mods is called there) is against the rules so they said LF was stalking Grover and closed the forum thinking they'd finally gotten rid of the LF problem.

The thing is, LF was the second most popular forum on SA after Games. When they closed it, a lot of people migrated either to offsite spinoffs or places like Tumblr and Twitter. This includes the mentally ill Sadbrained Leftists. These people started engaging in echo chambers on the offsite forums which were always destroyed by drama and in-fighting (mentally ill echo chambers aren't stable, who knew) and on social media they were free to spread their message to impressionable middle school/high school/college students. As tumblr became an SJW hell hole, the LP forum on SA started getting popular because of the Dangan Ronpa LPs/live translations which were HUGE on tumblr. Many tumblrites registered just to read and post in those threads and LP bringing with them their SJW ideologies.

In general as the site grew older, especially after Helldump closed, things started being phased out. Ironic racism/homophobia and poo poo was already kind of not cool. SJWs that came from Tumblr exacerbated it. For the last two or three years SA has been a constant fight between SJW posters, FYADs/something sensitive posters and posters who hate both and just want to post funny poo poo without fear of being banned or doxxed for pissing off one side or the other. The problem is, like on other sites where they're numerous, the SJWs while the minority are the loudest and have no lives leaving them free to post everywhere and seem more numerous than they are.

The other turning point was the Redditbomb. If you don't remember, this was a few years back when a goon organized a massive effort to expose all the jailbait subreddits on Reddit. This resulted in all of them being deleted and the eventual removal of mod/user violentacrez. Whatever you think about it (I was actually anti-jailbait and poo poo but never posted in the threads or spread the Redditbomb around but whatever) this was a negative thing as it led to the creation of SRS (of which infamous twitter user a_girl_irl is/was one of the head mods of) which has also helped to spread SJW values across the greater internet.

Small aside, I used to post on a couple of the spinoffs because I was a big time LF reader. I watched at least three get destroyed by one specific user who would constantly talk about how hard she had it as a mixed race girl in New York and a woman in the television industry. She would constantly take offense at everything and start massive drama bombs over otherwise innocuous comments which would spiral out of control and result in the admins getting fed up and closing the forum and people having to migrate to a new one. Eventually people got tired of this and she was banned. It later came out that she is literally an heiress to a fortune worth billions but the person who revealed this wouldn't say anything more than that (i.e. who she really was, etc.).

Edit: Still not over "Robocop Ideology".

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

chitoryu12 posted:

Robocop ideology is the best ideology :colbert:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

Doing a Google search on LF caused me to stumble upon this old Reddit thread.

I remember working with a guy who kept bringing up all this obscure internet stuff. I eventually asked him if he visited Something Awful, and he responded to the tune of "No, I hear they're all a bunch of social justice warriors."

I guess we have a reputation these days.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

trapped mouse posted:

I remember working with a guy who kept bringing up all this obscure internet stuff. I eventually asked him if he visited Something Awful, and he responded to the tune of "No, I hear they're all a bunch of social justice warriors."

I guess we have a reputation these days.

I've also heard this sentiment. It's like whoever started that rumor only read D&D and thought it was the whole forum.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

WTF is Robocop Ideology?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

WTF is Robocop Ideology?

Robocop is the word filter for s j w.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Where does it even come from?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
e: goddamnit henchman!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

From an 80's action movie

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

chitoryu12 posted:

Detroit

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Jesse Carpenter

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

chitoryu12 posted:

Nowhere, it's just a fun thing to imagine when someone talks about a bogeyman taking their videogames away.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Robocop can take all of my violent video games if he lets me hold his gun just once.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That infodump is largely accurate except for the thing about 2/3 of the way through that suggests that "putting a little extra effort into your own life so as not to be a dick to other people who might be having a tough time at theirs" is something only an ENEMY COLLABORATOR would do

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
-Nerd Alert-
I did enjoy that bit about Dangan Ronpa because I originally came for the LPs and signed up a little bit after that thread. It was rather funny to read it in real time, see people post "^_____^ OMG thx orenronen I signed up 4 u =^^=" and get probated immediately after.

Course, it did provide images such as...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Jesus loving Christ

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
Someone posted this story about how stacking rocks near streams can cause a negative impact on the ecosystem. It was a nice little story, something to you know, consider, no big deal to 99.99999% of people in 99.999999% of their lives.

But the comments are just.... like someone beat up their mama. The vitriol! The name calling! Over some goddamn rocks!?

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/outdoors/article86051077.html

Edit: The comments have gotten worse since I first saw it posted :aaa:

quote:

You know it's libtards doing this thinking that they are improving nature with they little artsy stacked stones (after all it started in Western States) and it's liberal getting pissed thinking it's destroying nature as if the stones would not be moved by the river or heavy rains.
So it's great to see liberals getting pissed at liberals ... how do I know it's not conseveritives because they'd be there to hunt and fish not stack freaking rocks.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

"yer" is making me crazy.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

yer making me crazy too :3:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

That70sHeidi posted:

I love that we as a society have devolved literally every human act into a political two party choice.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Robocop is the word filter for s j w.

I always preferred the s j w -> skeleton wordfilter because it lead to the best angry internet posts

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
It's like some really weird version of the Last Supper: Judas is down in front, wearing the olive-colored tie, and Peter is on the right with his hair slicked up into a unicorn horn.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Wait what's wrong with my RANCID patch?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
SROs are unarmed in California? They're armed here in Mass.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

fullroundaction posted:

Wait what's wrong with my RANCID patch?

Isn't "fresh-cut" a term for a new skinhead?

Ninja edit : whoops didn't quote the image

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

lol I love how completely this narrative falls apart if you actually go to it on Snopes. The guy shot himself.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

zakharov posted:

The answer for an RPG-7 is about 200 or less if you want a 50% or better chance of a hit. 500 is about the max if you want any chance of hitting anything. However, they self destruct at about 950m, which can be used for bombardment.

You know, if it ever matters.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That70sHeidi posted:

Someone posted this story about how stacking rocks near streams can cause a negative impact on the ecosystem. It was a nice little story, something to you know, consider, no big deal to 99.99999% of people in 99.999999% of their lives.

But the comments are just.... like someone beat up their mama. The vitriol! The name calling! Over some goddamn rocks!?

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/outdoors/article86051077.html

It's hilarious how ridiculously offended so many people get when you ask them to just leave something alone. Some people really hate the entire concept of Leave No Trace because it takes away from their FREEDOMS.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It's like some really weird version of the Last Supper: Judas is down in front, wearing the olive-colored tie, and Peter is on the right with his hair slicked up into a unicorn horn.

Of course all of the cosplayers are the ones bitching about SA policy. Am I right in assuming that they wouldn't even be cosplaying those characters if not for the translations done by goons? Because my only experience with this whole fiasco has been through the Retsuprae videos on the games.

So now if you just come out with a correct or fact that does not line up with their preconceived views than it MUST have come from snopes. Cause I didn't see any linking to Snopes in those comments by the guy goes "Well you can't trust Snopes!" like it's just a natural reaction to someone disagreeing with you.

Picnic Princess posted:

It's hilarious how ridiculously offended so many people get when you ask them to just leave something alone. Some people really hate the entire concept of Leave No Trace because it takes away from their FREEDOMS.

Luckily it's safe to assume that the idiots in the comments would never go to these nature preserves. But I can't help but picture the South Park "I thought this was AMERICA!" everytime someone tells you something you might be doing is harmful.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Chomp8645 posted:

lol I love how completely this narrative falls apart if you actually go to it on Snopes. The guy shot himself.

See? Guns prevented a mass shooting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Data Graham posted:

It's like cracking jokes about bombs at the airport metal detector. Sure everyone there can obviously tell you're joking, or at least not a real threat. But they can't afford to allow even the impression that an "it's a prank, bro" defense will hold water. It's more about setting examples and creating deterrence for when a real threat arises.

I had something like this happen. I was going back home after visiting my grandparents in Boston (though I took the plane from NYC since I was also visiting friends there), and I had the bright idea of keeping some of my grandpa's old WW2 bullets in my pocket. I realized before getting to the metal detector that this just might be a problem, so I walk up to one of the TSA guys and ask him "so I have these old bullets do I need to throw them out or package them differently?" The guy then gets this "oh jesus christ" look on his face and tells me that he knows I'm not a threat but that he has no choice but to report this. He said that if I had thrown them away without telling anyone it would have been fine, but as soon as he found out he had no choice but to detain me, even if I let him confiscate the rounds. So I sit down for a while and chat with the TSA people (one of whom recognized one of the rounds as being one that is used in the machine gun he used when he was in the army) and then this policeman comes over. I talk to him and he says that if the rounds are live that I would have to come back for a court date, but that I could go ahead and take my flight (obviously sans bullets). While in the plane waiting for it to leave, I get called out by the policeman again. Fortunately they discovered that the rounds were not live, and as a result I didn't break any laws and wouldn't have to go to court. Unfortunately this also meant I missed my flight, though I had friends in the area and didn't have a problem rescheduling it for the next day.

Definitely one of the dumbest things I've ever done. Even though I ended up missing the flight in the end, the TSA people were all very good about trying to take care of the situation as fast as possible, since they all felt kind of bad for me.