Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

Yes, in the era where blue had everything and green had ramp and giant growth and basically nothing else

curiosity was reprinted in original Innistrad dork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

curiosity was reprinted in original Innistrad dork

Oops I forgot about that my bad

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm definitely looking forward to Tibalt, but black.

As much as I'm also looking forward to a new joke planes walker, only red gets those.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

this will go great in my derevi edh deck

no really it will

but seriously gently caress you if you play derevi

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Doubling Season -> Tamiyo seems quite good. Kindof feel like the card doesn't actually do that much in general though.

Doubling Season ---> Planeswalker is usually busted, which is why Doubling Season is a $40 card. I seem to recall someone built a janky modern deck around Doubling Season and 4 Jace, Architect of Thought where you cast 3 cards out of your opponents library for free using Jace's ult and fetching more Jaces and ulting them.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 1, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There are no green cards and never have been, also red. And mono black. None of these have ever been viable and its not dumb that they've been complained about being bad for actual ever.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

Oops I forgot about that my bad

it's cool, honestly i'm surprised they reprinted that over keen sense too

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

guys my uncle at magic says they will only make green and white cards in the future present

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

this will go great in my derevi edh deck

no really it will

but seriously gently caress you if you play derevi

Sad that there's no love for the Bird Wizard.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

You could in theory draw as many as 4 cards from one activation of her +1 if double-strike is involved.

8 with double strike and vigilance

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Sickening posted:

Since lily and emmy are the focus of this set lily better be forced as gently caress. She might be the last hope to play anything not green and white.

Liliana has seen the light and joined the gatewatch, is now in Abzan colors.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kuiperdolin posted:

Add a fight spell, ten. Ka-ching.

Fights don't cause any combat damage. However, I just realized that you could draw twelve cards if you immediately followed Tamiyo with the new Emrakul.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

They could straight-up reprint Liliana of the Veil and it wouldn't make a dent in white and green dominance. (Fun fact: Liliana of the Veil is currently $110.00.)

Why is Tamiyo Bant, anyways?

quote:

biospark88 asked: The new Tamiyo could easily be mono-blue. All of her abilities are in blue's pie. Is she Bant just to balance her?

She’s Bant so we can print her. In order to get a sixth planeswalker in the block, we had to make something more narrow to not cause developmental problems.

So the option was to print her at three colors or not print her. Once you look at what three colors she is, Bant (Blue/White/Green) was obvious. She’s not Black or Red. She’s orderly and a scientist that studies natural phenomenon (mostly moons and their effects).

Her card was designed to be something centered in Blue but that touched upon overlaps with White and Green.

Translation: we wanted Tamiyo to have a card, but we didn't want her to be competitive, so we made her super narrow and unlikely to see play.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 1, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

An arbitrary number if your opponent keeps taking extra turns/combat phases!!

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Zoness posted:

8 with double strike and vigilance

Everyone is forgetting about Relentless Assault et al

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

They could straight-up reprint Liliana of the Veil and it wouldn't make a dent in white and green dominance. (Fun fact: Liliana of the Veil is currently $110.00.)

Translation: we wanted Tamiyo to have a card, but we didn't want her to be competitive, so we made her super narrow and unlikely to see play.

Buying 16 of those when i cashed out from being infinite in ISD block constructed was a lot smarter than the 12 Garruks I bought, but where does it stack up to the 24 Snapcasters I bought?

I got 8 Griseldads and 8 of all the Miracles staples too. ISD block constructed was good to me.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Angry Grimace posted:

Q: Couldn't we just not have had an unremarkable Jace, and had Tamiyo fill that role instead?

A: I'm not sure I follow.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jace is dumb because they started to follow the Ob Nix template way too close: I picked up a couple of them for like 500 pucapoints and I don't expect a return of much on it. I just threw them in EDH decks because whee scry

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I think its interesting that they're transitioning other walkers to other colors, setting the precedent that the only mono colored walkers are those of the Gatewatch.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Irony Be My Shield posted:

An arbitrary number if your opponent keeps taking extra turns/combat phases!!

You realize too late that their plan along was to keep using time walk/lure effects in order to deck you.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Network42 posted:

Everyone is forgetting about Relentless Assault et al

no you're supposed to add that and say 12 way to nip the meme in the bud

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The secret to using Tamiyo is to use her plus on your opponent's creatures.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

I thought that was the more obvious option.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

:eyepop:

Bring on the next season of type 2 GWx ValuStuf!

Edit: I'll just be over here not playing FNM ever again (not by choice, though).

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 1, 2016

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Q: Couldn't we just not have had an unremarkable Jace, and had Tamiyo fill that role instead?

A: I'm not sure I follow.

MaRo has made it clear they're shoehorning the gatewatch into every storyline from here on out

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

MaRo has made it clear they're shoehorning the gatewatch into every storyline from here on out

Every set from now on:

Set 1: Gatewatch member visits [plane] for whatever reason. Bad stuff happening.
Set 2: Go Go Power Rangers!!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Their implementation of Not-Avengers is still way better than their Not-Star Trek as far as ripping off pop culture goes.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

whydirt posted:

Their implementation of Not-Avengers is still way better than their Not-Star Trek as far as ripping off pop culture goes.

Hmm yes we could have the same characters go to new and exciting places and face them as mortals or we could have our plot armored group of quip spouters fight eldrazi forever.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Except that's not what they did with Weatherlight. The ship of cool dudes could easily be sweet, but instead we got an ersatz Riker and crew bumbling around.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Nissa: Just So In Love With Nature
Gideon: Just So In Love With Justice
Chandra: Just So In Love With Fire
Jace: Just So In Love With Jace
Liliana: Just So In Love With Zombies Jace

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Is Koth dead? If he makes an appearance, would he be in Naya colors?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

So did Nahiri just kind of gently caress off after summoning Emmy or what?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did Scar's story work (I believe that's the prevailing sentiment) because there were palpable stakes, and actual bad consequences?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Did Scar's story work (I believe that's the prevailing sentiment) because there were palpable stakes, and actual bad consequences?

BFZ block's story ended with an entire plane basically being destroyed, which is some pretty heavy consequences, and it still sucked.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I believe Scars' story was well received, but you can't end every block on a big world ruining downer like that.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Foreskin Problems posted:

Is Koth dead? If he makes an appearance, would he be in Naya colors?

Koth is presumably phyrexian now, hopefully

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I'm actually kind of surprised that they didn't kill Sorin. Dude is useless and boring to anyone but slashfic writers and it makes thematic sense that he would die here.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mae posted:

Koth is presumably phyrexian now, hopefully

Planeswalkers are immune to compeation.

Unless they give up their spark willingly. Which Venser did.

But Karn took his body off plane. Hopefully he wasn't enough of an idiot to bring it back.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Wizards can't afford to hire things like 'writers' or 'talent' so it really doesn't matter what template their stories use, they'll always be poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I think they're setting up Innistrad 3 to be a fight between Lilliana and her zombie minions versus Sorin and his vampires.

• Locked thread