Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

In the Korean translation, All Might emphasizes that the fact that people feel insecure about / have trouble trusting 'the UA of the present' is an unavoidable fact, and that the heroes of UA are seeking to make changes because they realize the current situation is unacceptable. The Mangastream translation makes it sound like the school itself is in disarray, while the Korean translation is more about how people currently perceive UA, what with the many scandals it has undergone. He's saying that it can't be helped that people currently don't have confidence in UA, not that this perception (or the school if you follow Mangastream's translation) can't be changed. So he's asking her to shift her perspective from the UA of now to the UA of the future.

When in doubt, blame Mangastream.

It's not her just going "okay", there's a lot more gravitas in what All Might is saying because he is pretty much the greatest hero in the world and a living legend. His words carry far more weight than most, and the dude's bowing down before her.

And like other people have said, she's doing this for her son, and Deku's heartfelt words reached her as well.

Yeah, and that's what's really cool about All Might. He's a good person, you'd think he'd have a huge ego like Endeavour, but at every opportunity he earnestly tries to do the right thing, and that's hard not to love. He only really seems to use his public image to encourage peace. On the translation note, I wish it were easier to find raws, I usually pick up the Tankoubon voolumes, but they come out way later or whatever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The last spread is really cool. I thought Frog Girl was just making a weird neutral face until I took a closer look at Grape Boy's panel.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Deku's mom continues to be great. I hope we get to see more of her when she isn't emotionally distraught over Izuku horrible injuring himself.

Professor Wayne posted:

The last spread is really cool. I thought Frog Girl was just making a weird neutral face until I took a closer look at Grape Boy's panel.

I love how a bunch of those panels overlapped with others.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
That last page is pretty neat for the overlaps. Looks like Kouji might have a crush on Kyouka :3:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm surprised that All Might didn't need to drop the bomb about how and why exactly Deku suddenly manifested a quirk.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 30, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kanos posted:

I'm surprised that All Might didn't need to drop the bomb about how and why exactly Deku suddenly manifested a quirk.

That would be an excellent reason for her to never trust him.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kanos posted:

Frankly, I'm surprised that All Might didn't need to drop the bomb about how and why exactly Deku suddenly manifested a quirk.

I was sure that's where he was going. It would certainly help his argument that he's the best possible teacher for Deku, but I suppose he doesn't even see himself that way anymore. Grandpa Megaman taught Deku way more in the short time they were together.

All Might hasn't really given him much training help besides the while beach cleanup thing.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Best mom in any manga ever.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

That would be an excellent reason for her to never trust him.

On the one hand, it is directly All Might's fault that Deku is in a position where he has been put in extreme danger and is pursuing a career path that will put him in further danger in the future. All Might allowing Deku to accept One For All without consulting her is the height of hubris and irresponsibility, since he's not an adult, he's a teenager and she's his parent.

On the other hand, it is directly All Might's fault that Deku has an opportunity to actually achieve his sole driving dream and motivation since childhood which was previously thought to be impossible while also granting her son the greatest power in the world and the opportunity to learn how to use it. Prior to his meeting with All Might, Deku had pretty much retreated into a hopeless fantasy world and was living in denial.

I could see it going either way, really. All Might got pretty close to spilling the beans already by talking about how he believed Deku was his successor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It isn't just that he gave Deku a quirk which allowed him to attend ua in order to become a hero. Rather, the problem is that he gave Deku a quirk that is tearing his body apart and may permanently cripple him. If Deku wasn't the protagonist of a shounen fighting manga he would have a very real risk of ruining himself before he ever realized his potential. Dekumom doesn't seem to be very genre-savvy.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

It isn't just that he gave Deku a quirk which allowed him to attend ua in order to become a hero. Rather, the problem is that he gave Deku a quirk that is tearing his body apart and may permanently cripple him. If Deku wasn't the protagonist of a shounen fighting manga he would have a very real risk of ruining himself before he ever realized his potential. Dekumom doesn't seem to be very genre-savvy.

That would be a good gag in Gintama or something, but one of the big themes is kids like Bakugo assume they're the main characters of the universe, and kids like Deku do not.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You're gonna have to explain to me how a kid crippling himself would be a good gag for.... anything, really.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

HenryEx posted:

You're gonna have to explain to me how a kid crippling himself would be a good gag for.... anything, really.
Was a laugh riot in Game of Thrones.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Find someone who looks at you like Aoyama looks at the reader.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

ActionZero posted:

Find someone who looks at you like Aoyama looks at the reader.

I love this and I love you for posting this

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I finally read this week's (last week's? Officially this week's because leaks) chapter. Bakumom and Dekumom are both good moms on opposite ends of the mom spectrum. I also liked how Horikoshi namedropped the band that did the anime's ED.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be fair taking Izuku out of UA at this time would be pointless. Shigaraki knows his name, his face, and he wants him dead. I doubt he'd give a hot poo poo if Izuku actually ended up withdrawing from UA.

I still don't get how dorming the students is a major improvement when the enemy still has a dude who can just teleport people anywhere he wants and knows UA campus already. You can't hide the dorms for too long if they're not obvious.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

there's something deeply, inherently amusing about birdboy riding a bicycle

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Jintor posted:

there's something deeply, inherently amusing about birdboy riding a bicycle

pretty sure it's just a bike.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fabricated posted:

To be fair taking Izuku out of UA at this time would be pointless. Shigaraki knows his name, his face, and he wants him dead. I doubt he'd give a hot poo poo if Izuku actually ended up withdrawing from UA.

I still don't get how dorming the students is a major improvement when the enemy still has a dude who can just teleport people anywhere he wants and knows UA campus already. You can't hide the dorms for too long if they're not obvious.

Well, explaining to Deku's mom about Shigaraki wouldn't be very helpful either.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fabricated posted:

With dorms you can keep a few Pro Heroes on call as security for all the students at all times

I don't think it's a matter of hiding them so much as them being a hella secure setup, even if you have excellent infiltration powers

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JT Jag posted:

With dorms you can keep a few Pro Heroes on call as security for all the students at all times

I don't think it's a matter of hiding them so much as them being a hella secure setup, even if you have excellent infiltration powers

plus grape boy can get in more ecchi situations. everyone is in plus ultra mode now

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah it's less of a "we can keep them out" thing and more of a "if they're all in one place that means we can have teachers around to protect them, and also they can protect each other"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Every time the kids have been attacked by villains in the past, the reason why it's been a huge deal is that the pro heroes were too far away or too scattered to intervene immediately. If the kids are all living at a dorm in UA, presumably there will be a dedicated guard of pro heroes around a relatively concentrated area all the time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I wouldn't be surprised if the teachers start living on campus too, and being in charge of various dorms. Maybe in addition to hiring on a supplementary security force. Got to be more than a few hero companies who do security work--plus guarding UA would be a good way for them to scout and recruit talent.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kanos posted:

Every time the kids have been attacked by villains in the past, the reason why it's been a huge deal is that the pro heroes were too far away or too scattered to intervene immediately. If the kids are all living at a dorm in UA, presumably there will be a dedicated guard of pro heroes around a relatively concentrated area all the time.
If Shigaraki's HR department improves his mook quality I dunno- having pros close on-hand is nice until the kids and everyone are all in close quarters in a building.

Honestly though they'll probably factor attacking the dorms as being too risky when the most straightforward (and too realistic/boring/unfun) thing to do would be to use AFO's apparently extensive resources to just buy 100 pounds of simtex, stick a timer on it, and have blackmist plop it into the building somewhere and call it a day.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Every pro hero is gonna be the RA of their class. Get ready for Aizawa preventing shenanigans

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Blackmist has to be familiar with an area in order to gate there. He's never been inside UA.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

If Shigaraki's HR department improves his mook quality I dunno- having pros close on-hand is nice until the kids and everyone are all in close quarters in a building.

Honestly though they'll probably factor attacking the dorms as being too risky when the most straightforward (and too realistic/boring/unfun) thing to do would be to use AFO's apparently extensive resources to just buy 100 pounds of simtex, stick a timer on it, and have blackmist plop it into the building somewhere and call it a day.

and then gravity girl throws it into space

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Blackmist has to be familiar with an area in order to gate there. He's never been inside UA.

didn't he teleport the group of villains into that indoor testing area thing a while back

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The indoor testing area that was detached from the main campus, yes. Presumably the security there was lax enough that he was able to visit.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The indoor testing area that was detached from the main campus, yes. Presumably the security there was lax enough that he was able to visit.
They also infiltrated UA campus during the panic they caused with the reporters.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Fabricated posted:

They also infiltrated UA campus during the panic they caused with the reporters.

Until we get a panel of the villains dramatically gating into UA in a reprise of the rescue scene, I'm going to assume that only Shigaraki infiltrated. He was the only one shown to be at the gate. And sure Blackmist could have been there off-panel but I'm betting he wasn't. It''s too easy for them otherwise, and you would have to start explaining away why they don't make better use of it. Besides, you would think a tall figure with a formless head and a strange metal collar would be easy to spot on UA's security footage, crowd or not, but it hasn't ever come up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was kinda hoping this would've been stretched out longer tbh. I was hoping that we'd get to see more home visits besides just Jirou as far as side characters.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RareAcumen posted:

I was kinda hoping this would've been stretched out longer tbh. I was hoping that we'd get to see more home visits besides just Jirou as far as side characters.

It takes time to design quality parents.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It takes time to design quality parents.

Probably doesn't take much time to come up with the design for Hagakure's parents.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

JosephWongKS posted:

Probably doesn't take much time to come up with the design for Hagakure's parents.

I like to believe she has a very detailed design but we just can't see it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mr. Fowl posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the teachers start living on campus too, and being in charge of various dorms. Maybe in addition to hiring on a supplementary security force. Got to be more than a few hero companies who do security work--plus guarding UA would be a good way for them to scout and recruit talent.

Maybe they can divide the school into four houses, with fanciful names. And then they can all wear color-coded scarves and sweaters. Also I think Deku needs glasses.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

JosephWongKS posted:

Turns out her parents are a bird person and a rock person, deepening the mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'd also say there's a decent chance that they pull out some kind of teleportation countermeasure, either a Quirk or a device. They didn't have it before because, as they said, teleportation is super rare.