Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
For the record, your MMR and comp placement change depend on your individual performance as a player as well as whether or not your team loses. If you pop into this thread to bitch about how your rating sucks because your team made you lose, you are Dunning-Kruger as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
dunning and kruger are the names of reaper's shotguns

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Brosnan posted:

For the record, your MMR and comp placement change depend on your individual performance as a player as well as whether or not your team loses. If you pop into this thread to bitch about how your rating sucks because your team made you lose, you are Dunning-Kruger as gently caress.

Personal performance only affects how much it changes, whether you win or lose determines which direction it goes.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
and whether you win or lose is dependent on your personal ability to play, on average

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I've done solo queue about 90% of the time since the game launched and I have never seen such lousy players as those in Competitive. I never ever felt frustrated or angry at a lovely teammate until Competitive launched.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

hhhat posted:

So if anyone wants to team up and we can help each other, at least I know there's a solid chance your team will get more kills with me around.

Whats your bnet info

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Afraid of Audio posted:

and whether you win or lose is dependent on your personal ability to play, on average

Right, on average. But the scenario where you play best out of the 12 and still have your rank go down isn't even close to an impossibility.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Papercut posted:

Right, on average. But the scenario where you play best out of the 12 and still have your rank go down isn't even close to an impossibility.

no but the scenario where over some amount of games that consistently happens is unlikely at best

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

mcvey posted:

Whats your bnet info

Meldon#1403 looking for fun teams to team on!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371#post-3

This should be in the OP - Kaplan goes into detail about everything.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm still wondering if 76's heal + the cart heal stack.

Also it's shocking how many people don't know the cart heals.

I think it does

76's heal definitely stacks with other forms of healing at least

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

They should do a weekly brawl where it's just plain Overwatch but with every ult removed.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think it does

76's heal definitely stacks with other forms of healing at least

Nice, I wasn't sure but I was putting one there because it looked cool and I'm an OK player who knows to stick to the payload.

Jeff Kaplan posted:

If you played in any of these (over 10 million players did), we had already determined a skill rating for you (most likely). This means that it’s not uncommon to see a level 1 matchmade against much higher level players. In most of these cases, the Level 1 is a skilled player who played during the phases I mentioned but did not immediately play at launch.

This is interesting and I didn't know the seed went that far back. Still trying to determine how I ended up 5 points higher than 2 of my friends who are way better than me.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Wheeee posted:

They should do a weekly brawl where it's just plain Overwatch but with every ult removed.

It'd probably end up being a little too popular and make Blizzard feel uncomfortable.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I played with a level 2 a couple nights ago and he was an awesome Lucio. Everyone was joking with him before the round but he knew what he was doing.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Wheeee posted:

You shut your mouth

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Finally finished my placement matches. 8-2, ended up at 59.

Not a ton of medals and I feel like I was carried a fair bit, but I'll take it!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It'd probably end up being a little too popular and make Blizzard feel uncomfortable.

That's the point!

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

hhhat posted:

Meldon#1403 looking for fun teams to team on!

With all your talk I was expecting better stats :p

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Good Will Hrunting posted:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371#post-3

This should be in the OP - Kaplan goes into detail about everything.

Yeah, people should really pore over this post (that sounds sarcastic but it's not).

Also shouts to goony goon ExcalZ for making a good thread that prompted Jeff's response.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

mcvey posted:

With all your talk I was expecting better stats :p

I said wildly inaccurate but at least I had a respectable k/d ... so what you don't want to be my e-friend?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

hhhat posted:

I said wildly inaccurate but at least I had a respectable k/d ... so what you don't want to be my e-friend?

based off how you talk in the thread, no

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Afraid of Audio posted:

based off how you talk in the thread, no

I'm so sorry

Yeah, again, game's different than anything else I've played, despite being an FPS, there's a lot more going on than just shooty dodgy

I think the initial rush of 'YAY NEW GAME' has worn off already so a lot of the players I initially added to the friends list are falling away and doing other games already

Whatever solo q is still better than Battlefront

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Where's the zen buffs and improvements to custom game interface Blizzard

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brosnan posted:

The problem of that is that it involves trusting the system blindly. I don't mind that the system is evaluating how bad I am but we don't know what that means exactly. Even Jeff K's post won't go into the fine details.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

And I hope they never go into fine details because 100% of the time people just try to game it and play solely to maximize their Skill Rating Matchmaking Value as a Human Points instead of just playing the video game

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if you are searching so desperately for ways to explain via the intricacies of the matchmaking system the reasons that your rating isn't accurate, it's accurate and you just suck.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

And I hope they never go into fine details because 100% of the time people just try to game it and play solely to maximize their Skill Rating Matchmaking Value as a Human Points instead of just playing the video game

Something worse than that will happen. People will make stuff up since they don't know the fine details and you'll start seeing exactly what you described, but worse.

I'm already seeing people saying in-game that they don't want to play supports or tanks because they get less rating and that some streamer said that. People already do that in other games where they try to game the system even if the system isn't public and it sucks.

Brosnan posted:

Yeah if you are searching so desperately for ways to explain via the intricacies of the matchmaking system the reasons that your rating isn't accurate, it's accurate and you just suck.

That's not really the point, though. The system feels accurate enough for me.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

nickhimself posted:

The funniest messages in chat are when someone complains about no one playing support

Uh, guess what, guy? You can play support

It's always the guy who picked last picked Widow on a team with Hanzo, Genji, Soldier, Roadhog, Winston.

Afraid of Audio posted:

no but the scenario where over some amount of games that consistently happens is unlikely at best

To add to this point, 12 games is not data. 100 games might be closer to real data.

FranktheBank fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 1, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

they do that anyway but in ways that aren't actually helping them or anybody else because they're just guessing

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
If they made the metrics that determine skill the meaningful metrics that also help teams win games, that would be good IMO because more people would be playing to win.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Attestant posted:

Yup, played a few quick play games, did well and figured why not. I'll risk a pub ranked game.

Play Lucio on attack, get gold heals, objective time and objective kills. Swap to Pharah on defense, get gold eliminations & damage.

Still lose the game because we went to defense sudden death, and lose half a meter and a rank again. I think I'm done with ranked. :shepface:

Gold heals and objective time, as Lucio? Clearly you are a gaming god

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the matchmaking doesn't measure the friends you make along your gaming journey

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Elentor posted:

Something worse than that will happen. People will make stuff up since they don't know the fine details and you'll start seeing exactly what you described, but worse.

I'm already seeing people saying in-game that they don't want to play supports or tanks because they get less rating and that some streamer said that. People already do that in other games where they try to game the system even if the system isn't public and it sucks.

Proper response: "And if you lose you get NO rating, so stop trying to race and start trying to win."

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

mormonpartyboat posted:

This is a good attitude to have.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It seems like whatever algorithm they have set up uses medals as a metric, and since healing is almost always a guaranteed gold they tried to account for it so you didn't end up with a ladder full of level 85 Lucio mains not able to matchmake because DPS all have to split the damage/elims medals.

They just missed their target low by about 10%, and they're probably happier to miss it low than high.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

god bless us everyone

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I've had a good time going solo for Quick Play since the game's release, but for the past two days the games have been very low quality. So many one-sided games.

It's actually encouraging me to stick to Competitive, even with some of the issues it has right now.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

I've had a good time going solo for Quick Play since the game's release, but for the past two days the games have been very low quality. So many one-sided games.

Playing as Mercy in quickplay is an absurd feeling. My teammates are both dumb and can't aim and run around into packs of 4 enemies, dying alone. It's a pointless endeavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Brosnan posted:

Can you bitch if you always feel like you're getting your rear end kicked? I know that I suck, so please match me with people who aren't 360 noscope sniping me all game every game. I'm not good enough to play against these tryhards, why the hell does matchmaking think I am?