Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Soviet Commubot posted:

I'm pretty sure Scotland is part of the UK, at least for the moment.
Hence "in a few years".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hence "in a few years".

And ":v:"

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I like the Turkish anthem where there's a verse where they tell the flag not to be sad, cause the crescent kind of makes it look like a sad face.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Iprazochrome posted:

I like the Turkish anthem where there's a verse where they tell the flag not to be sad, cause the crescent kind of makes it look like a sad face.

A thing I feel we can all like how and also be the.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

And then there's La Marseillaise:

And some maps I found by googling "national anthem map":

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

re: national anthems

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
The irony is that Moldova, the one country in that map I see as having an anthem about their language, famously doesn't have its own language, it being just another name for Romanian.

Also, Slovenia's is the most :3:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Golbez posted:

The irony is that Moldova, the one country in that map I see as having an anthem about their language, famously doesn't have its own language, it being just another name for Romanian.

it's not ironic, it's sad.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

A lot of these maps make Slovenia look like a cool country but I know very little about it. Did they just get out of Yugoslavia relatively unscathed and instantly join the ranks of European countries that have a fairly good quality of life while being kind of cheap but are unexceptional in every other way? Or are they actually a bad country that looks good compared to the rest of the former Yugoslavia?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

And "England".

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Chicken posted:

A lot of these maps make Slovenia look like a cool country but I know very little about it. Did they just get out of Yugoslavia relatively unscathed and instantly join the ranks of European countries that have a fairly good quality of life while being kind of cheap but are unexceptional in every other way? Or are they actually a bad country that looks good compared to the rest of the former Yugoslavia?

no country that produced žižek is free of blame

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Huh, never noticed that Spain and Bosnia has a purely instrumental anthem, that's cool. You'd think it would be popular with countries that have multiple national languages.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

mobby_6kl posted:

Huh, never noticed that Spain and Bosnia has a purely instrumental anthem, that's cool. You'd think it would be popular with countries that have multiple national languages.

Doesn't south africa have an anthem that changes language every couple of lines to fit them all in?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Doesn't south africa have an anthem that changes language every couple of lines to fit them all in?

Yes it's got 5, and it changes key too although it's not the only one that does

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yes. Well, like four/five of the eleven in.

And it completely changes musical style halfway through, from an African inspired backing to a European styled one (basically the same tune as Die Stem but with the 'Vaderland! :geert:' bits stripped out).

And the last verse often just gets taken out entirely. That one's in English. :britain:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Golbez posted:

If Serbian can be a language separate from Croatian, Moldovan can be separate from Romanian. Years ago Romanian politicians asked Moldovans to provide a dictionary of their language to prove it existed, and they did. Well, it was a dictionary composed of an arbitrary mixture of Romanian and Russian words, but Moldova still exists, and it has an army, so Moldovan language is legit, I think.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The real German national anthem technically has words but is only played instrumentally because it mentions a united fatherland.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Imagined?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Chicken posted:

As far as I can tell the answer is "basically, yeah"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

What the heck Slovenia.

Also, of course Moldova's song is about its language.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

You could make a strong case that America's anthem is just as much about a battle as about a flag.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Swiss anthem doesn't have much to do with the flag either, it's meant to be an ode to God. It's literally called the Swiss Psalm.

Also, having your anthem be about friendship is the most :3: thing imaginable.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Hawai'i should be color coded yellow.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Slovenia's anthem is a call for international brotherhood and the end to all conflict.

It's pretty rad.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Chicken posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

I visited Slovenia for the first time a month ago and it is hands down the most underrated part of Europe. Amazing people, not completely overrun by tourists, gorgeous capital city, amazing countryside, just there are literally no downsides to Slovenia.

The lady at the bakery down the street from where we were staying gave me free treats the day I left :3:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lord Hydronium posted:

Could be The Revolution, could be The Eschaton, could be Finally Dealing With Those Jerks Who Have Tried To Roll Over Us For A Millennium, whatever.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Who the hell puts lyrics about bombs and rockets into their anthem? The US that's who. How gauche.

Finnish one is about how the land is in the north, and is nice, and will be successful in the future. Basic stuff but the sentiment is :angel:

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

HookShot posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

I visited Slovenia for the first time a month ago and it is hands down the most underrated part of Europe. Amazing people, not completely overrun by tourists, gorgeous capital city, amazing countryside, just there are literally no downsides to Slovenia.

The lady at the bakery down the street from where we were staying gave me free treats the day I left :3:

Slovenia is an unimpeachably wonderful country to visit. Awesome people, lovely land, lots of cool stuff, lots of things to do, plus also really good food wherever you go.

The impression I get about actually living in Slovenia is that it's a good country that is also dealing with a lot of problems. Just like every other country out there, obviously, just with their own added wrinkles. Their economy had a meteoric rise until 2008, when it got body-checked by reality, and since then they've been healing. While the standard of living has remained quite high, the rise-crash-heal narrative has made life pretty stressful for many people. Uncertainty is no fun, even if you're not literally starving.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I definitely didn't mean to imply that it was an amazing place to live, I have no idea on that front. Just that it's a great place to visit.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I definitely didn't mean to imply that it was an amazing place to live, I have no idea on that front. Just that it's a great place to visit.

No worries, I wasn't implying that that was what you're implying. I was just seconding that it's a great place to visit, while also trying to give my impression of what some of the troubles have been over there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TheWeepingHorse posted:

No worries, I wasn't implying that that was what you're implying. I was just seconding that it's a great place to visit, while also trying to give my impression of what some of the troubles have been over there.

:)

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Yeah one of my more successful fuckups was boarding a train to Venice and somehow ending up in Ljubljana instead. Beautiful place.

Bates fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 2, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chicken posted:

Slovenia was by far the richest of the Yugoslav republics before the breakup, just by historical virtue of being nearest Italy and Austria and because a lot of Yugoslav industrialization money got spent there. They aren't a bad country but they also aren't some amazing success story. They were something like 2+ times as rich as the Yugoslav average even before the breakup.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

doverhog posted:

Who the hell puts lyrics about bombs and rockets into their anthem? The US that's who. How gauche.

Finnish one is about how the land is in the north, and is nice, and will be successful in the future. Basic stuff but the sentiment is :angel:

Being on the receiving end of them even. It's like the Rocky of national anthems

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Anos posted:

Yeah one of my more successful fuckups was boarding a train to Venice and somehow ending up in Ljubljana instead. Beautiful place.

James Joyce once accidentally took the train to Ljubljana. He spent the night at the railway station as a result. There is now a monument to him there, for that reason.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Spain don't have lyrics for his anthem, because we are scare of nationalism and we can't agree on one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Haha the Carlist version has a line about masons

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tei posted:

Spain don't have lyrics for his anthem, because we are scare of nationalism and we can't agree on one.

I'd recommend something about English grammar, maybe lift a bit from Open Sesame?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Phlegmish posted:

Haha the Carlist version has a line about masons

I'm guessing it's not the labourer sort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tei posted:

Do it in Moroccan Arabic