Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
drat Nahiri, that's stone cold :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Magicmadhouse weekend of magic!

Anyone joining me in classy Blackpool?

Didn't qualify for the finals so going to play the 4k tomorrow then get drunk when I scrub out.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Elyv posted:

Considering that none of those were involved from Inn1-bfz, that's a weird criticism.

Innistrad 1 was initially unrelated, but is directly influenced by and leads up to Eldrazi-related shenanigans

Theros is Elspeth looking for refuge from Phyrexians, as well as beings and/or weapons that can't be corrupted by them.

Tarkir is Sarkhan resurrecting Ugin by undoing Nicol Bolas' fuckery so that the original Eldrazi fighter trio can seal them away again.

Return to Ravnica is the only block that stands completely apart from the overarching, Multiverse threats. The flavor of Innistrad, Theros, and Tarkir actually isn't bad, each had their own plane-specific threats (Griselbrand, Xenagos, and Zurgo, etc) and at some point WOTC will learn that telling tangential stories works better than beating people over the head with "LOOK AT HOW EVIL THIS BIG EVIL THING IS, ONLY THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP CAN DEFEAT IT".

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, are we going to have standard Shard/Wedge walkers now?

Bant: Tamiyo
Naya: Ajani
Grixis: Nicol Bolas
Esper: (??)
Jund: (??)
Abzan: (??)
Jeskai: Narset?
Sultai: (??)
Mardu: Nahiri?
Temur: Sarkhan

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

Jeskai: Narset?

She was WU because Ojutai forced the R out of the clan.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

She was WU because Ojutai forced the R out of the clan.

Well, yeah. But, I can definitely see her becoming Jeskai colored just on the precedent of her alternate history self. (And she's still autistic as all hell.)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Innistrad 1 was initially unrelated, but is directly influenced by and leads up to Eldrazi-related shenanigans

Theros is Elspeth looking for refuge from Phyrexians, as well as beings and/or weapons that can't be corrupted by them.

Tarkir is Sarkhan resurrecting Ugin by undoing Nicol Bolas' fuckery so that the original Eldrazi fighter trio can seal them away again.

Return to Ravnica is the only block that stands completely apart from the overarching, Multiverse threats. The flavor of Innistrad, Theros, and Tarkir actually isn't bad, each had their own plane-specific threats (Griselbrand, Xenagos, and Zurgo, etc) and at some point WOTC will learn that telling tangential stories works better than beating people over the head with "LOOK AT HOW EVIL THIS BIG EVIL THING IS, ONLY THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP CAN DEFEAT IT".

I don't see ISD1 as being influenced by eldrazi shenanigans, nahiri wasn't released until avr and I don't think emrakul was involved by that point, they just used the events as a springboard to bring in the eldrazi 5 years later. You can argue that Tarkir and Theros took place with a backdrop of multiverse-ending threats, but they had little to know impact on the actual story arc of those blocks, just, at most, the motivation. Also I don't think Sarkhan knew that Ugin helped imprison the Eldrazi, although it was indicated to him that Ugin fought Nicky B.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Angry Grimace posted:

She was locked in a box that is essentially a pitch-black void for 1000 years, its not surprising she's gone batshit.

And don't forget that, at some point, all kinds of demons started showing up in there as well. And then Sorin's goth-chick angel ended up chucked in there as well. Being stuck with that bunch is bound to make anyone crazy.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Jenx posted:

And don't forget that, at some point, all kinds of demons started showing up in there as well. And then Sorin's goth-chick angel ended up chucked in there as well. Being stuck with that bunch is bound to make anyone crazy.

please dont spoil my new sitcom All In The Helvault

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What did she do that was insane?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

she had a creepy grin!!! thats apparently all it takes

mtg writing at its finest

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

She tried to bring Emrakul to Innistrad to get revenge on Sorin, which is just crazy given that those Gatewatch chucklefucks are there to easily defeat the world-ending monstrosity. She would have been better off framing Sorin as the actual harbinger - Sorin killed Avacyn which was the last barrier to Emrakul entering the plane, so it's obviously Sorin who's working with Emrakul! Get him, Gatewatch! Nahiri could even make some weapons to help them defeat Sorin and Emrakul. Why would a bunch of kids (and Liliana) trust a bloodthirsty, murderous vampire?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

Nahiri would make a better antagonist if she actually could beat Sorin by herself but I guess that's asking too much.

She's not actually an antagonist. Sorin is.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hellsau posted:

She tried to bring Emrakul to Innistrad to get revenge on Sorin, which is just crazy given that those Gatewatch chucklefucks are there to easily defeat the world-ending monstrosity. She would have been better off framing Sorin as the actual harbinger - Sorin killed Avacyn which was the last barrier to Emrakul entering the plane, so it's obviously Sorin who's working with Emrakul! Get him, Gatewatch! Nahiri could even make some weapons to help them defeat Sorin and Emrakul. Why would a bunch of kids (and Liliana) trust a bloodthirsty, murderous vampire?

Because they have had slumber parties at his mansion before.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Do we even know why Sorin locked Nahiri in the Helvault in the first place?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Retromancer posted:

m'lady turned him down and laughed at his fedora

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

anglachel posted:

She's not actually an antagonist. Sorin is.

"Do-nothing antagonist" is worse than "do-nothing protagonist."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm going to go play constructed tournament Magic for the first time in three years with White Weenie. I am truly the scum of the earth.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

I'm going to go play constructed tournament Magic for the first time in three years with White Weenie. I am truly the scum of the earth.

consider this: adding green for CoCo and Sylvan Advocate

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Retromancer posted:

So hundreds of years ago, the eldrazi nearly broke out of zen and nahiri pushed them back into their holes but then she was like, "where the gently caress are sorin and Ugin they said they'd come to help if there was a breakout", so she goes to visit innistrad and basically goes "wtf sorin" and he responds with "oops this helvault thing I built takes me off the grid and I didn't think about that but that's okay." She eventually gets mad, attacks sorin, and is beating him when avacyn comes to save the day and then he locks her in the helvault

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mandatory lesbian posted:

Or adding U for Reflector Mage.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
They could form an entire team of insane Planeswalkers with Nahiri, Sarkhan, Tezzeret,
Garruck and Tibalt.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Angry Grimace posted:

They could form an entire team of insane Planeswalkers with Nahiri, Sarkhan, Tezzeret,
Garruck and Tibalt.

The anti-gatewatch. With Bolas as their leader. After all, every super hero team needs their super villain team.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I miss tezzeret, maybe he can be a villain in the upcoming artifact set

but actually I mostly miss venser, can't wait for esper/UB colored zombie venser in return to new phyrexia

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

GeneX posted:

I ... can't wait for ... return to new phyrexia

Seconded.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I don't have any of those :(

I bought Tom Ross's list from the SCG Orlando Open and substituted Silkwrap for Secure the Wastes in the sideboard.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I loving love that once again, Sorin gets undone by his own arrogance and inability to give a gently caress about anything but himself.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Art dump, some better than others

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Also Wailing Ghoul is a color shift of Screeching Skaab from Innistrad 1, it's kinda great.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

she had a creepy grin!!! thats apparently all it takes

mtg writing at its finest

I mean summoning a world devourig monstrosity to a plane for the sake of pissing off a millennium old vampire seems pretty crazy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I mean summoning a world devourig monstrosity to a plane for the sake of pissing off a millennium old vampire seems pretty crazy.

Wasn't she thereby protecting Zendikar?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Wasn't she thereby protecting Zendikar?

She already tried that and it's safe to assume she thought Zendikar was hosed after Sorin sealed her in the Helvault.

She knew Emrakul was out, at any rate.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

After the helvault got broken, she was confused about why she sucks now, but then went to zendikar. She saw ulamog or whatever rampaging around and was like, "welp, zen is dead and gone, time to get revenge."

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It's a shame everything that's a hybrid needs to be a [type] horror or eldrazi [type]. I really want to see Doublewolves and Spiderwolves. Also the City Council.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

legoman727 posted:

Also Wailing Ghoul is a color shift of Screeching Skaab from Innistrad 1, it's kinda great.

See blue gets NOTHING

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm definitely in the minority though, so I'd just settle for like a bone thrown my way now and again, let me lose a million FNM matches with a bad Astral Slide 2.0, id prefer that to winning forever with some Gxx list in perpetuity.

Hello RTR/THS Standard, where uncommon jank and draft leavings (with small exceptions) became the best decks.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 2, 2016

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It's not, though, Screeching Skaab is 2/1.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

revenge is not crazy, to me

her plane got mega-hosed, it was an equivalent exchange

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

After the helvault got broken, she was confused about why she sucks now, but then went to zendikar. She saw ulamog or whatever rampaging around and was like, "welp, zen is dead and gone, time to get revenge."

I mean she wasn't on board with the idea of sealing them on her plane in the first place, she kinda just got bullied into it by a vampire and a dragon, both with a lot more experience than her. I'm sure Helvault Time wasn't fun either.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

revenge is not crazy, to me

her plane got mega-hosed, it was an equivalent exchange

equivalent exchange is white, revenge is red, insanity is r/b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

Hello RTR/THS Standard, where uncommon jank and draft leavings (with small exceptions) became the best decks.

Um there is nothing janky or late-pick worthy about detention sphere, azorius charm, supreme verdict, and sphinx's revelation.

• Locked thread