Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tender Bender posted:

There's a pretty popular cat collecting app, basically you buy food and toys to lure new cats to your yard and get prizes from them. Use that as a basis and build on it. Follow the typical f2p structure of trickling out ingame currency while encouraging you to pay money for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I love Tubbs.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tender Bender posted:

There's a pretty popular cat collecting app, basically you buy food and toys to lure new cats to your yard and get prizes from them. Use that as a basis and build on it. Follow the typical f2p structure of trickling out ingame currency while encouraging you to pay money for more.

yeah ruin neko atsume by making it about dogs

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I love Tubbs.
If not for Tubbs you could 'beat' the game in like a week

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Boten Anna posted:

They do, but they don't cater to gamers, they just throw gamers a bone sometimes. Nintendo of recent is actually a lot better about this than nintendo of yesteryear, which was frequently openly hostile to their biggest fans (rpg players are losers, clean the fridge, everything about competitive smash, the list goes on) but they will forever be chasing the dragon blue ocean of Non Gamers to buy their poo poo, and can I blame them? I'm going to be there at midnight for whatever they poo poo out no matter what, as will all the other nintendo fangirls/boys/persons. None of us need convincing.

It's funny how people have forgotten that the original unveiling of the Wii U was very much geared towards the gamer audience, and there was a lot of hype on the fact that it would be getting releases of the bigger AAA franchises like asscreed, Mass Effect, Call of Duty and such.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I do not want to play assassin's creed on my Nintendo NX, or in fact, on anything

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Instant Sunrise posted:

It's funny how people have forgotten that the original unveiling of the Wii U was very much geared towards the gamer audience, and there was a lot of hype on the fact that it would be getting releases of the bigger AAA franchises like asscreed, Mass Effect, Call of Duty and such.

EA's unprecedented partnership: giving the Wii U Mass Effect 3 months after giving it to other consoles and not releasing Mass Effect Trilogy on the Wii U despite that platform not having had the first two games.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

How would you monetize the caring of virtual dogs? By letting them die if you don't buy the food packs (only $2.50 for 5!)? That would very likely cause a tremendous backlash with soccer moms.

3 words. Dog Breed Gacha.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Patter Song posted:

EA's unprecedented partnership: giving the Wii U Mass Effect 3 months after giving it to other consoles and not releasing Mass Effect Trilogy on the Wii U despite that platform not having had the first two games.

Obviously it didn't sell as well as the other platforms because of something inherent to the Nintendo audience and not the fact that they would have had the first two games on other platforms and would be importing their saves there, or that the negative word of mouth surrounding ME3 might have had an effect by the time it was out on the Wii U.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

ddogflex posted:

2) How are midnight releases "making GBS threads on people in the midwest and east coast"? Because midnight PST isn't midnight MST/EST? Lol.

Yea, it's pretty loving dumb to do midnight releases at midnight on the west coast and 3am in the midwest and east coast.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Saoshyant posted:

How would you monetize the caring of virtual dogs? By letting them die if you don't buy the food packs (only $2.50 for 5!)? That would very likely cause a tremendous backlash with soccer moms.

Uhoh! It looks like little Turbo has contracted dog AIDS! Get him to the vet pronto for his monthly treatment (2.99$), or you can buy a 6-month pack for 12.99$ (BEST VALUE)!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

oddium posted:

yeah ruin neko atsume by making it about dogs

There's already a dog version but apparently it's done by a company that specializes in ripping off other people's apps so don't support that.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

And we all know how the Wii U turned out. The Gamers Were Wrong.

I think the NX will be pretty cool and probably do well but its gimmick isn't going to be something gamers give a poo poo about but whatever the thing is, I place it at better than even odds on actually catching on.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, I had those friends that were lucky to get one game a year on their birthday or Christmas, while I was rocking a 40+ game NES library. Why would people buy a console and not get games? I literally know people who has a Wii and only have Wii Sports.

My wife, and people like her I guess, are what drag the numbers down. She had, I think literally every system from NES through PSX/N64 and only every had 1 game for each because she was spoiled but didn't really care that much about games. She's terrible.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

Yea, it's pretty loving dumb to do midnight releases at midnight on the west coast and 3am in the midwest and east coast.

I have not seen a psn game unlock at 12 pacific its always eastern for the games i buy. what games made you wait?
SFV is unlocking a new mode tonight at 3 am eastern but that's a capcom thing not a sony thing

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Saoshyant posted:

Fuckin' dog clothes, man. Custom goddamn doghouses. Accessorized dog toys. Custom dog emotes. Pay 3.99 to teach your dog to roll over. It's like you don't know any people who can't shut the gently caress up about their pets, it's practically a license to print money.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

Whenever you catch yourself saying poo poo like this, remind yourself that Nintendo is a toy company that is not and probably will never go for the Gamer Audience. They couldn't be any clearer (in their shareholder presentations, etc) that their whole thing is trying to get people who aren't "gamers" and kids to play their toys.

how's that working out for them

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Mandrel posted:

how's that working out for them

Pictured: A cheap piece of plastic that is keeping Nintendo solidly in the black.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Is there any word yet if Amiibo's will still be a thing for NX. I hope so and they actually make them more useful (they totally won't, though....).

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Ventana posted:

Is there any word yet if Amiibo's will still be a thing for NX. I hope so and they actually make them more useful (they totally won't, though....).
They're making nintendo a shitload of money so the awnser is definately yes. And if you want further evidence the new zelda game will have amiibo support and i very much doubt they'd give excluse features to the wii u version instead of the one designed to sell a new game system.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

raditts posted:

Is this... Battleship, but with a penalty of getting a face full of water for losing?

Not just losing, but any time someone hits your submarines you get splashed in the face. It was pretty great. Can't wait for Nintendo to try to incorporate this technology into the NX.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ventana posted:

They don't even have to say anything official, there's zero chance amiibo will go away any time soon. As far as anything that isn't glorified DLC though I'm skeptical that will ever happen. I'm guessing the Animal Crossing board game is as sophisticated as amiibo use will ever get

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

CrashCat posted:

They don't even have to say anything official, there's zero chance amiibo will go away any time soon. As far as anything that isn't glorified DLC though I'm skeptical that will ever happen. I'm guessing the Animal Crossing board game is as sophisticated as amiibo use will ever get

There isn't zero chance. Disney just scrapped their toys-to-life division, so there is some precedent for that market shrinking or disappearing as more advanced augmented-reality entertainment proliferates.

Also, the other problems with Nintendo are their US marketing and also their retail training/presence. Go into any GameStop and check the size of the Nintendo section and the knowledge of the employees. Back in the day when I worked at GameCrazy, the regional Nintendo rep NEVER loving came in and educated the employees on anything, whereas the MS, Sony, EA, etc. reps would be in almost quarterly to educate employees, distribute promotional materials, etc.

... I guess what I'm saying is that Disney should just buy NoA. :smithicide:

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 1, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the difference with Amiibo is that Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and Lego Dimensions are kind of their own things, while Amiibos can be subtly or not so subtly marketed to anyone who buys any of their games with various bits of functionality. They also can pack Amiibo in for collectors/first print editions like they did with Wooly World and Twilight Princess.

I mean, there are a lot of factors here, there are probably more hardcore Nintendo fans than there are hardcore Skylanders fans, but Skylanders is multiplatform which is a larger audience to market to generally. Lego can bank on well known properties like Doctor Who for quick income boosts, and so on. It's not clear that one of the four folding (in this case, Disney Infinity) means anything for the other 3 because they all have different things going for them. Disney Infinity is probably closest to Lego Dimensions in that they bank on character recognizability*, but Lego also has a more polished game style having a history of Lego games to bank on whereas Disney had to invent their own mostly unfulfilling game around it. None of them are quite like Amiibo though, which have become this sort of ubiquitous constant in Nintendo's properties, something the others can't manage in the same way. There was was never anything so bold as "buy Princess Elsa and unlock a secret deleted scene on the new Frozen Blu-Ray".

While you're right that it's not like Amiibos are a done deal, with the whole Wolf Link in BOTW dealio it seems highly unlikely they'll suddenly drop it unless the next quarterly report is basically "we're hemorrhaging money manufacturing these things :shepface:!" It's more likely that if they have intentions to discontinue it it'll just be quietly phased out, with maybe a slightly cheaper gen 2 or 3 NX without an Amiibo NFC bundled. (E: Though I suppose it's also possible that they could just make it a peripheral right off the bat instead of built in)

* I realize Skylanders has stuff like the Crash Bandicoot or even Bowser deals, but that's not the bulk of their product.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 1, 2016

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

While Nintendo definitely enjoys marketing things to kids and profiting from that, that's not enough anymore if they want their system to be a success. The rise of the smartphone/tablet means that their console/handheld is no longer a given for youngsters.

They lost their market share for traditional gamers long ago to Sony/Microsoft, and now the smart phone/tablet has encroached on their lucrative kid market.

This is why I find NX so fascinating. Their normal business model is under siege from all sides for the first time, and they are coming off a huge failure in Wii U (despite it being great). When talented people have their backs up against the wall many times it leads to great things, so I'm hoping that's the case. On the flip side, if Nintendo fucks this next release up it will be equally as fascinating.

I just want the next mainline Animal Crossing game, damnit.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The thing about amiibo is that they are easily available, relatively high quality figurines of characters who mostly aren't already available. There's already a ton of merchandise out there for almost everything in Disney Infinity but where can you get a Ganondorf or Isabelle?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Chill Penguin posted:

There isn't zero chance. Disney just scrapped their toys-to-life division
Which nobody buzzed over even a fraction as much as amiibo, despite what seemed like good sales. There's no way you should be thinking they're equivalent.

If you really want to pick a nit, then amiibo could die out first if the NX got horribly delayed (many years, not just a short while) or a truly miraculous fad came along and made everyone forget. I don't see a significant chance of either though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Chill Penguin posted:

There isn't zero chance. Disney just scrapped their toys-to-life division, so there is some precedent for that market shrinking or disappearing as more advanced augmented-reality entertainment proliferates.

Also, the other problems with Nintendo are their US marketing and also their retail training/presence. Go into any GameStop and check the size of the Nintendo section and the knowledge of the employees. Back in the day when I worked at GameCrazy, the regional Nintendo rep NEVER loving came in and educated the employees on anything, whereas the MS, Sony, EA, etc. reps would be in almost quarterly to educate employees, distribute promotional materials, etc.

Disney's Infinities problem was that they overestimated. And that politics kinda forced their hand and made them make a ton of toys that weren't going to sell at all(Shout out to Yondu).

The Software side of Disney infinity was actually doing good numbers, but they just had warehouses full of toys no one wanted that they couldn't get rid of.

Nintendo does not overestimate. Which is why Amiibo's can actually and often do sell out completely until they reissue them.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dexo posted:

Disney's Infinities problem was that they overestimated. And that politics kinda forced their hand and made them make a ton of toys that weren't going to sell at all(Shout out to Yondu).

The Software side of Disney infinity was actually doing good numbers, but they just had warehouses full of toys no one wanted that they couldn't get rid of.

Nintendo does not overestimate. Which is why Amiibo's can actually and often do sell out completely until they reissue them.

Case in point: Check the used "Interactive Figures" display at any gamestop. Skylanders/Infinity will outnumber Amiibo 10:1, assuming they even have any Amiibo.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 1, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Chill Penguin posted:

Hahah, what? Disney Infinity was handled utterly incompetently and was a mediocre game to boot, that's why it's loving dead.
Have there even been any good Disney-based games since the mid-90s heyday? The remakes of Ducktales and Castle of Illusion don't count, because they're remakes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

raditts posted:

Hahah, what? Disney Infinity was handled utterly incompetently and was a mediocre game to boot, that's why it's loving dead.
Have there even been any good Disney-based games since the mid-90s heyday? The remakes of Ducktales and Castle of Illusion don't count, because they're remakes.

Eh, Disney infinity was actually the most fun and the best of the games in the Toys to life genre.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Disney Infinity had no Alice in Wonderland model (the original, not that Tim Burton abomination). It is therefore a failure.

In NX rumors, the newest one is from some dude who studied a bunch of free-form 3D patents from Nintendo and is making a case that the NX would turn any TV into a 3D system with head tracking similarly to the Nu3DS. Or something.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 1, 2016

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Saoshyant posted:

Disney Infinity had no Alice in Wonderland model (the original, not that Tim Burton abomination). It is therefore a failure.

In NX rumors, the newest one is from some dude who studied a bunch of free-form 3D patents from Nintendo and is making a case that the NX would turn any TV into a 3D system with head tracking similarly to the Nu3DS. Or something.

The N3DS does have vastly improved 3D compared to the first couple of models, but most still play with it off that I know of.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I hear what you guys are saying and definitely agree that Amiibo are the strongest of the TTL field, but that just means they'll die last. The numbers on Lego Dimensions have also been fairly disappointing; the only thing keeping them on the shelves is the amazing margin Lego have on their production costs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Disney didn't just scrap toys to life, they scrapped their entire gaming division, since overall it just wasn't profitable.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

While this idea is kind of neat (and I do usually play my N3DS with the 3D on), it would only work with one person in the room (or at the very least one person playing), wouldn't it? You can't adjust an image to account for multiple heads at once. Seems like a 180 on Nintendo's ethos for consoles.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 1, 2016

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

they are Smash trophies you can own irl

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I hope the NX will be good and nintendo continues to make good games :)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Chill Penguin posted:

I hear what you guys are saying and definitely agree that Amiibo are the strongest of the TTL field, but that just means they'll die last. The numbers on Lego Dimensions have also been fairly disappointing; the only thing keeping them on the shelves is the amazing margin Lego have on their production costs.
Oh sure, it might not last forever. But it'll make it to the NX for sure, unless some bizarre poo poo goes down. That was all this argument was about to begin with :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwWAI_Zfn4

Those crazy Nintendo of America folks chasing the Youtube generation. Should have used the chance to get Dark Gary back.

#itsforkids, Internet, don't get mad as usual.

• Locked thread