Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batman fans, like Batman himself, need to be taken down a few pegs on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah I'm sure they're going to do that to the only successful character they have right now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah I'm sure they're going to do that to the only successful character they have right now.

At least some WB execs know that they can't just keep making Batman movies. Hopefully Wonder Woman will be legitimately good. Though I could totally see Batman fans hating the poo poo out of it, but it being super popular with everyone else.

Though on the other hand if it doesn't do well, or at least reaches a Man of Steel level of success, there will be lots of "Should have had Batman".

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
WB execs are reportedly convinced that the real money is in the Hanna-Barbera Shared Cinematic Universe

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 1, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope ww doesn't tank and give disney even more excuses to not do captain marvel

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SirDan3k posted:

WB execs are reportedly convinced that the real money is in the Hanna-Barbera Shared Cinematic Universe

As long as it's more along the lines of Future Quest and less Wacky Raceland then I agree.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

site posted:

I hope ww doesn't tank and give disney even more excuses to not do captain marvel

Captain Marvel's a done deal. They are doing that movie come hell or high water. It'll probably be done with all principal photography by the time that Wonder Woman even premieres.

And either way Marvel is not influenced by the stuff DC is or isn't doing in the DCCU, not to the level that DC/WB is so very clearly influenced by Marvel. Wonder Woman's success or failure has little to no bearing on Marvel Studios' creative direction, although says a whole hell of a lot for DC's/WB's.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At worst, Marvel will do the old trick that's worked fairly well in the past and write the movie as if the lead was a man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Squizzle posted:

Whatever Marvel Studios phase comes after everything that's been announced, it should have a Kamala movie and a Sam Alexander Nova movie.

I have serious reservations about a live action Kamala Khan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I have to say that her power set would probably be goddamn creepy in live-action.

An animated film tho'?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

I would totally be down for a ms marvel movie, but it would probably have to be outside the main mcu like the netflix series are

I dunno what it is but like i kinda felt really uncomfortable with teenage spidey throwing down in civil war even though i can kinda sorta accept it in the books

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

I would totally be down for a ms marvel movie, but it would probably have to be outside the main mcu like the netflix series are

I dunno what it is but like i kinda felt really uncomfortable with teenage spidey throwing down in civil war even though i can kinda sorta accept it in the books

Spider-Man in the books is usually drawn as a bulky adult. When you get sometimes like MIles (where he's drawn as a skinny kid) it actually does look creepy uncomfortable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I have to say that her power set would probably be goddamn creepy in live-action.

An animated film tho'?

If Marvel can finally get some people who aren't awful to make their animated films, Pixar Ms. Marvel would be rad.

Big Hero 6 doesn't really count.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really don't know why Disney isn't spitting out tons of Marvel animated films or tv series featuring the younger heroes. All we got are those terrible Anime Iron Man and Black Widow movies. The closest I've seen that even comes close to the tone I'd expect is the Xmas one where the Avengers have to find Santa and Tony doesn't believe in Santa and Carol is a giant dork about the whole thing. But yea, their animation unless its big giant features, they don't seem to put any effort into it.

A Ms Marvel or Squirrel Girl show would be perfect too, because both are heroes in their own right but also have a great deal of story power in their relationships with other heroes.

Though a Young Avengers movie that followed up with post Not Infinity War 2 that says "Here is the new generation of heroes" would be good, something that bridges the generations of films.

I'd be surprised if Captain Marvel isn't in Not Infinity War 1, even if it's a minor role sorta like Black Widow in Iron Man 2.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

twistedmentat posted:

I'd be surprised if Captain Marvel isn't in Not Infinity War 1, even if it's a minor role sorta like Black Widow in Iron Man 2.

Or possibly as early as Guardians 2. Marvel execs have said that movie-verse Captain Marvel is a character on the cosmic side of things, and the single most powerful hero in the movie-verse.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Toxxupation posted:

Captain Marvel's a done deal. They are doing that movie come hell or high water. It'll probably be done with all principal photography by the time that Wonder Woman even premieres.

Wonder Woman comes out next year, Captain Marvel is scheduled for 2019 and still doesn't have...well anything official beyond a script. I think that's an ambitious goal you've set.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm still expecting Captain Marvel to get quietly canceled.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

I'm still expecting Captain Marvel to get quietly canceled.

I really want a Carol movie but yeah, it's been delayed what like three time already and they still haven't even casted for it yet. I'm not gonna hold my breath.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's been delayed once, and there wouldn't be any casting for it this early outside of Carol herself who may appear in Infinity War. In fact we just had casting news in the trades on her a few weeks ago.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

howe_sam posted:

Wonder Woman comes out next year, Captain Marvel is scheduled for 2019 and still doesn't have...well anything official beyond a script. I think that's an ambitious goal you've set.

They're closing on a lead actress and Feige has given numerous interviews to the effect that they're publicly announcing her at SDCC. And considering they're signing that woman to some ridiculous nine picture deal or whatever they're gonna be locked in basically.

My assumption that they'd be done with principal photography by the time Wonder Woman premiered was admittedly faulty, because I googled "Captain Marvel premiere date" and the first result is a big box that read "July 6, 2018"...which is clearly, you know, untrue. It's still quite possible that principal photography will be finished or in the middle of shooting by the time WW premieres depending on how much time they budget to post-filming VFX work (which you can reasonably assume it'll be a lot since it's, you know, Captain Marvel).

But yeah, I have full faith and confidence that nothing's preventing a CM movie. They've made it too public and there's clearly a lot of interest in the film being made, which is...a hell of a lot more than you could say about an Ant-Man/Guardians movie before they premiered.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 2, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only people that see that keep saying that Captain Marvel is going to be canceled at those that are salty it's being made rather than what ever character they'd prefer to have a movie focused on, and in general just hate that she's been defacto made the 1# female hero in Marvel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not salty, I just have no faith in the Disney machine to make a movie starring a female lead in an action film.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...What about Star Wars...? What about two Star Warses?

I can't tell which posts are sarcasm anymore?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
None of those movies have a female lead, one of the characters is female which might qualify.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
If Rey isn't the lead of The Force Awakens, who is?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Qui-Gon Jinn

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

If Rey isn't the lead of The Force Awakens, who is?

Kylo according to their marketing and merchandising

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

greatn posted:

Vader has always been the poster boy for Star Wars, but that doesn't make him the main character of 4-6.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

CharlestheHammer posted:

None of those movies have a female lead, one of the characters is female which might qualify.

Rogue one has a female lead.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Wasn't the big roadblock to Captain Marvel and Black Widow getting movies Ike Perlmutter? So maybe with him gone, from the movie side of things anyway, those movies can move forward.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's the reason Black Widow wasn't getting toys, at least.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

greatn posted:

I understand how lovely that is, but gender biased marketing shouldn't prevent you from realizing who the lead of the film is. I mean all Star Wars marketing is centered around Vader WAY more than it is Luke. Luke isn't the one that made it to Soul Calibur.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even if you have trouble there's literally a spinning helicopter shot showing the passing of the torch.

In the wrong direction, granted, but still.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

greatn posted:

Star Wars is a franchise primarily targeted to children

The guy with the cool mask and the laser sword is probably going to be the most marketable to children

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You guys have been posting about "Captain Marvel" for a few pages and for a while I thought you were talking about Shazam so I went looking around for info on that film; if and when it's really getting made, etc.

This may have been posted before but I haven't seen. Seems like so far they have cast one entire actor:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Shazam-What-We-Know-So-Far-71717.html

I'd like to see a well done Shazam movie.

I think it could work but the talking tigers and the worm guy, Mister Mind, might have to be woven in with a little more nuance than the comic and reigned in a bit. I could see a thing where maybe Mister Mind is transplanted into someone's brain and Tawney Tiger is a science experiment, maybe implanted with the worm, that learns to sort of say a few words here and there and exhibiting human emotions, all under the control of Dr. Sivana, who you can pretty much leave as he is. Mad scientist bad guy and all.

I'm not sure how you can make the wizard and the Billy Batson believable, or the CaptainMarvel siblings. I guess you could go the Thor route or somehow tie into Wonder Woman's mythology and magic. But if DC can handle this shared universe correctly, a Kingdom Come movie could be really huge and the Superman vs. Shazam battle could really kick rear end.

Who could play old, broken, brace wearing Batman? Bruce Willis?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

I understand how lovely that is, but gender biased marketing shouldn't prevent you from realizing who the lead of the film is. I mean all Star Wars marketing is centered around Vader WAY more than it is Luke. Luke isn't the one that made it to Soul Calibur.

Probably also nobody wants to shell out for likeness rights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The protagonist of The Force Awakens, the person who literally follows all of Luke Skywalker's path and eventually inherits his lightsaber and defeats the villain before going to train with Luke Skywalker, is Rey. Claiming she isn't the protagonist is dishonest as poo poo in your attempt to justify your cynicism. Even if you ignore that the protagonist of Rogue One is unarguably a woman so your point is still invalid. Stop being stupid so you can justify being cynical.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

Whatever Marvel Studios phase comes after everything that's been announced, it should have a Kamala movie and a Sam Alexander Nova movie.

I get that I'm the weird one for hating Sam Nova, but gently caress if you think even Marvel will be able to make a movie centered around a tween not annoying and terrible af

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Soonmot posted:

I get that I'm the weird one for hating Sam Nova, but gently caress if you think even Marvel will be able to make a movie centered around a tween not annoying and terrible af

They could, just make him the same age as Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I think Max Landis' "Rey is a Mary Sue" criticism is dumb as poo poo but it's got a kernel of truth to it where the beginning of TFA intimates it'll be more of a duo protagonist deal (where Finn is gonna have all the lightsaber powers and Rey is gonna have all the Force powers, sort of a Knight/Wizard setup) but by the end of the film Rey is the Millennium Falcon's pilot and Han Solo's heir apparent and beats up the Darth Vader stand-in in a lightsaber duel and has awesome Force powers and meets the protagonist of the first three films (and she's probably his daughter considering what the movie was implying) and is about to be trained by the last, best Jedi of all time. She's the ultra-protagonist. She could not be more of the protagonist to the point it's kind of staggering how much of the protagonist she is.

• Locked thread