Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
By most accounts Fletcher and Tarr absolutely wanted to completely retcon TKJ but editorial said nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The real problem with Batgirl of Burnside was that they only had one story beat that they recycled through two arcs. Mysterious figure is taps into Bab's memory and leverages that information for nefarious purposes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Toxxupation posted:

I see no real indication that that's not the case outside of the awful wedding issue that randomly crowbars rear end in a top hat Dick Grayson in there because Luke Fox is totes for reals Barbara Gordon's true love forever.

To be clear, I'm joking. But barely. Man Batgirl of Burnside had a lot of chips on its shoulder.

Hey Toxx, how do you feel about the Rape of Dick Grayson?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Semper Fudge posted:

DC just announced a Midnighter/Apollo miniseries by Steve Orlando and Fernando Blanco. Link.

Essentially an extension to my second favorite DCYou book. Now just give Orlando an Authority book after this and we'll be set for life.

Shame ACO isn't on interiors, but YEAH!!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Semper Fudge posted:

DC just announced a Midnighter/Apollo miniseries by Steve Orlando and Fernando Blanco. Link.

Essentially an extension to my second favorite DCYou book. Now just give Orlando an Authority book after this and we'll be set for life.

"“This is the World’s Finest Couple — kicking back and making each other better than they are on their own.”

Sold!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Future Quest #3's turned into a fill-in issue, but it's two stories about Birdman and the Herculoids with Steve Rude, Aaron Lopresti and Karl Keschel on art, so I ain't mad (e: except if it's revealing Doc Shaner can't keep up with a monthly :()
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/06/30/the-future-of-future-quest-just-changed-at-dc-comics/

The covers are the best part.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nothing with Steve Rude art can ever be considered a fill in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Future Quest #3's turned into a fill-in issue, but it's two stories about Birdman and the Herculoids with Steve Rude, Aaron Lopresti and Karl Keschel on art, so I ain't mad (e: except if it's revealing Doc Shaner can't keep up with a monthly :()
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/06/30/the-future-of-future-quest-just-changed-at-dc-comics/

The covers are the best part.

DC is finally publishing a good bird character with wings book I see after many attempts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

DC is finally publishing a good bird character with wings book I see after many attempts.

Is he using his law degree?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

A lot of people have told me to read Multiversity. Is there any greater context I need to read to "get it" or is it just "Grant Morrison does a yearlong series set on different universes"?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Toxxupation posted:

A lot of people have told me to read Multiversity. Is there any greater context I need to read to "get it" or is it just "Grant Morrison does a yearlong series set on different universes"?
Superman Beyond (from Final Crisis) would help a lot.

There's a lot of stuff that will help you get more out of it (eg Watchmen, in the unlikely event you haven't read it), or would introduce characters (eg Action Comics #9, but the idea of Super-Obama isn't too hard to get), but if you had to read one thing before it I'd suggest that.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

So, I just finished Omega Men. It's basically one of the best books DC has published in the past ten or fifteen years.

The trade comes out on August 30, according to Amazon. Please buy it. It rules

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Swillkitsch posted:

So, I just finished Omega Men. It's basically one of the best books DC has published in the past ten or fifteen years.

The trade comes out on August 30, according to Amazon. Please buy it. It rules

Yeah, it is really good. There's some context if you read Green Lantern: New Guardians but not much.

I kind of can't believe DC let him write that book. It's literally a book about heroic space terrorists.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Stop the presses!
https://www.comixology.com/KFC-The-Colonel-Corps-2016/digital-comic/393832?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NsaWRlckxpc3QvMTIwMTI

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is brilliant.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Best issue of 2016, calling it now

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Chicken Colonel makes me uncomfortable

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Previews!
Justice League Rebirth #1
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/justice-league-rebirth-1-dc-comics-2016

New Super-Man #1
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/new-super-man-1-dc-comics-2016

Batman #2
http://www.newsarama.com/29972-is-this-rebirth-s-new-dynamic-duo-in-batman-2.html

Superman #2
http://www.newsarama.com/29944-man-of-steel-does-old-school-saving-with-a-smile-in-superman-2-preview.html

e: and a Hellblazer interview with art.
http://www.newsarama.com/29954-rebirth-s-hellblazer-a-johnnie-walker-fueled-journey.html

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 2, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't wait to get home to read this

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man I feel bad for Hitch for that obviously-last-minute WW costume redraw.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would be happy getting Tim Sale covers for every issue of this new Batman, if that's what they're going for.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wait, they didn't seriously just put Hitch on writing and art duties after he literally just proved this last year that he can't do that on a monthly basis did they?

EDIT: Man, that New Super-Man art is rough.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's only drawing the Rebirth issue, then it's good ol' Tony S.

X-O posted:

Man, that New Super-Man art is rough.

I like it. Nice expressive faces.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 2, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Those Super-Man preview pages really do seem like DC's running with "What if Peter Parker got Superman's powers and was a complete rear end in a top hat". It does seem like young Kenan Kong will be learning something significant about great power and the responsibility that comes alongside it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That KFC comic is notable for being a brand new DC comic in TYOOL 2016 with Impulse in it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wow, that Super-Man preview....huh. It didn't read like Spider-Man, I don't see that comparison outside of a hypen. It read the worst Damian Wayne writing. I don't even have a good way to describe it. It's just "Look at this rear end in a top hat. He's Superman! In CHINA! Isn't that wacky?" No, no it's not wacky. It's annoying.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Can I just say that I love that this is now a universe where I can say "I need to get the back issue of KFC in the DCU to really understand the canon" and be totally serious about it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ayy Toxxup, as long as you're maniacally binge-reading superhero comics, you should read the entire Wally West run of The Flash. Start a thread and just post your thoughts as you have them—no need to do it on a schedule or post something every issue. It'd be neat to see it from The perspective of someone with strong opinions and fresh eyes.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Toxxupation posted:

Can I just say that I love that this is now a universe where I can say "I need to get the back issue of KFC in the DCU to really understand the canon" and be totally serious about it.

The KFC comics are good and cool and I'll fight anyone who thinks otherwise.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I just have a soft spot for DC comics universe corporate tie-in comics like the time the Craftsman Bolt-On System saved the Justice League

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

graybook posted:

I just have a soft spot for DC comics universe corporate tie-in comics like the time the Craftsman Bolt-On System saved the Justice League

:hfive:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Squizzle posted:

Ayy Toxxup, as long as you're maniacally binge-reading superhero comics, you should read the entire Wally West run of The Flash. Start a thread and just post your thoughts as you have them—no need to do it on a schedule or post something every issue. It'd be neat to see it from The perspective of someone with strong opinions and fresh eyes.

I've done stuff like that before but I'd rather not do something like that here without explicit mod approval since I'd rather not be perceived as trying to monopolize a forum or whatever. Plus I'd have to work out a reading list and some sort of structure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I doubt it would be too big a problem considering we had a Red Hood thread that had literally one poster, while a classic Flash thread might actually get some traffic and interest.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Anyone big Legion readers here? I've got a question. Is the Legion that is in the New 52 title a continuation of the one that was in the most recent Adventure Comics and Volume 6?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Toxxupation posted:

I've done stuff like that before but I'd rather not do something like that here without explicit mod approval since I'd rather not be perceived as trying to monopolize a forum or whatever. Plus I'd have to work out a reading list and some sort of structure.

Wally West's run is thankfully lax on crossovers or required annual readings or whatever. I can only think of maybe 3 fairly important ones -- Zero Hour, the Dead Heat crossover with Impulse (two issues of Impulse in that arc), and Identity Crisis tying into The Secret of Barry Allen. And even then you can just read straight through, ignoring those, with little issue.

The only real issue is if you just want to read everything (in which case you start out with the bad Baron run) or if you just want to skip to Waid. Though the Baron run is thankfully short and the Messner-Loebs run is fine, if not super spectacular. There's a couple great issues in there (#19 is one of my favorites ever). Honestly you can just straight shoot from #1 to #225. It's not like Batman where there's a bunch of poo poo on the side that all ties together. The only periphery books I'd suggest is The Life Story of The Flash (after The Return of Barry Allen, it's basically a crash course on Silver/Bronze age stuff) and Impulse.

I'm a huge Waid/Morrison/Millar/Johns Flash run fan so I'm always down for seeing how other people view it.

One thing I would suggest, which isn't really important in modern comics, is maybe skimming over the letters in the back of the books that have Waid and Augustyn responding to fans and giving post-story arc thought processes behind what they were doing and see how you like that. I was always fond of those little blurbs and it may be up your alley.

edit: Speaking of Wally West, let's get a look at a real, not-Booth artist drawing his new costume:

Titans #1 variant courtesy of Mike Choi.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 3, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Wally West's run is thankfully lax on crossovers or required annual readings or whatever. I can only think of maybe 3 fairly important ones -- Zero Hour, the Dead Heat crossover with Impulse (two issues of Impulse in that arc), and Identity Crisis tying into The Secret of Barry Allen. And even then you can just read straight through, ignoring those, with little issue.

I think the only way such a project would be enjoyable to read about is if I read everything, good bad and indifferent (and provide thoughts on it all) that Wally West appeared in in some sort of chronological order, so is that it? Because in my preliminary research I'm seeing some Flash/Green Lantern mini (The Brave and The Bold). And shouldn't, realistically speaking, a Wally West readthrough end in Flashpoint since that's when he's erased from existence?

Also I'd need help building a reading order of some sort. Are there any other line-wide or Flash comic-specific crossovers besides those?

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 3, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wally was already sidelined by the time Flashpoint happened.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Why not just start a new general Flash thread so you don't have to get to know it all and make an expert's OP?

Pretty sure there used to be one, and there was probably with less going on then than now with the Rebirth shenanigans.

I mean, you're about to go read all of Bendis' Avengers aren't you?

e: I think Waid's run is being collected later this year. Pick that up and see if you're a fan at all before going on a mission.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 3, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Why not just start a new general Flash thread so you don't have to get to know it all?

Pretty sure there used to be one, and that was probably with less going on than now with the Rebirth shenanigans.

A Flash thread would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Why not just start a new general Flash thread so you don't have to get to know it all and make an expert's OP?

Pretty sure there used to be one, and there was probably with less going on then than now with the Rebirth shenanigans.

I mean, you're about to go read all of Bendis' Avengers aren't you?

e: I think Waid's run is being collected later this year. Pick that up and see if you're a fan at all before going on a mission.

Well this wouldn't be so much as like binging the whole thing as more just something I'd read like six issues of here or there and write up my thoughts about it on a more or less consistent schedule. Again, have a bit of experience doing stuff like this, so it wouldn't be a huge deal for me to just sort of knock 'em out every week or so.

And I'd be fine doing a general Flash thread if I knew literally anything about the Flash outside of the tv show and a couple of episodes of Journey into Misery, but I'm pretty unqualified to make a thread like that.