Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, I meant Fog Creek. Haven't heard about their bug tracker(?) written in a bespoke, artisanal VB knockoff (:barf:) in about a decade, so I figured they went under.
I assume they're still going, Joel himself has that "indestructible charismatic Web designer" archetype down cold so he will always land on his feet even if he's producing zero of value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Calling this as the top of the bubble.
Surely that's a joke, right?

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I assume they're still going, Joel himself has that "indestructible charismatic Web designer" archetype down cold so he will always land on his feet even if he's producing zero of value.

It's been years since I've read any of his or Jeff Atwood's writings (I at least found Jeff to be a pretty okay guy) and I had to search the company just to make sure it still existed. You can Google "Street View" the actual office. I can't speak at all for his paid products, but I've had a major crush on StackOverflow since it went live.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

pangstrom posted:

Surely that's a joke, right?

Probably. It was actually on LinkedIn but has since been removed. And SoundCloud doesn't have an office in Geneva.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

In other words, it's the internet Peter Thiel sees when he's alone at night.

gently caress, thanks for the explanation.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Quote-Unquote posted:

Probably. It was actually on LinkedIn but has since been removed. And SoundCloud doesn't have an office in Geneva.

Eugene Murman has a big bit about how garbo linkedin is in fact checking so I'm not surprised. Like for years his account credited him as an executive at at&t because he typed it in and they never bother verifying anything.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Coolness Averted posted:

Eugene Murman has a big bit about how garbo linkedin is in fact checking so I'm not surprised. Like for years his account credited him as an executive at at&t because he typed it in and they never bother verifying anything.

I wouldn't expect Linkedin to verify what your job is, that would be a pretty monumental task for how many users they have.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Let's be honest LinkedIn kind of sucks. I got zero interviews thanks to it and most of the job postings seemed to be "you are required to be bill Gates and also a unicorm."

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Let's be honest LinkedIn kind of sucks. I got zero interviews thanks to it and most of the job postings seemed to be "you are required to be bill Gates and also a unicorm."
5 years of React and ES6 experience required

edit: I have gotten multiple interviews from Linkedin recruiters but in my experience it's most useful as a glorified directory of (ex)-coworkers/fellow alumni who you then contact offsite

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 1, 2016

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

JamesKPolk posted:

gently caress, thanks for the explanation.

Don't forget that in order to get on the network, you have to buy your network address from Moldbug, because any other arrangement would be communism.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/01/tech-tax-san-francisco-homelessness-inequality?CMP=fb_gu

quote:

‘Tech tax’: San Francisco mulls plan for taxing the rich to house the poor
A payroll levy on the city’s largest tech companies – such as Google, Twitter, Uber and Airbnb – aims to tackle inequality, but some have savaged the proposal

San Francisco’s long, complex and often fraught relationship with the tech industry has come to a head with a proposal to levy a “tech tax” on the companies that have fueled the city’s transformation into a place that is increasingly uninhabitable for people on low or medium incomes.

Under the plan, large tech employers in the city, potentially including Google, Twitter, Uber, Airbnb and Salesforce, would be required to pay a 1.5% payroll tax. The estimated $120m in annual revenue would be used to fund affordable housing and services for the city’s large homeless population.

Local politicians are seeking to put the bill to a citywide vote in November, a move that would mark the culmination of years of boom that have rendered San Francisco one of the most unequal places in the US.

It is a city where 57.4% of homes are worth more than $1m, but hundreds of people sleep in tents on the street every night.

“The rapid tech boom in our city and region threatens our city’s ability to thrive and prosper,” said supervisor Eric Mar, who authored the bill. “Five years after the boom, it’s time for San Francisco to ask the tech companies to pay their fair share.”

Every week brings new outrages, whether it’s the tenant in North Beach who, it emerged this week, received a notice informing him that his rent was increasing from $1,800 a month to $8,000, or the kindergarten teacher whose building was bought by two tech workers and, it was revealed this month, is now facing eviction for nuisance violations that include “using appliances”.

San Francisco tech worker: 'I don't want to see homeless riff-raff'

The city is deeply divided politically between technological evangelists who believe passionately in an industry that has spurred the local economy and made the already rich even richer, and others who believe the sector’s recent encroachment into the city is responsible for erasing the city’s rich culture and sparking a housing crisis.

“They spend $25,000 per employee per year on perks like free beer and pool tables and massages,” said Feng Kung, an organizer with Jobs with Justice, a coalition of labor and community organizations that is backing the tech tax. “That’s great, but can they spend $1,000 to help the rest of San Francisco survive?”

The anger finds its outlet in different ways. Queer activist group Gay Shame regularly plasters telephone poles around town with posters featuring slogans such as “Brogrammers off the block” or drawings of the severed heads of tech CEOs on spikes. In the Mission, a Latino neighborhood being transformed by an influx of tech gentrifiers, including Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, graffiti recently appeared on the sidewalks declaring “Queers Hate Techies”.

Meanwhile, more than a few tech workers have gained viral notoriety for anti-homeless screeds, such as a February 2016 “open letter” that included the complaint: “I shouldn’t have to see the pain, struggle, and despair of homeless people to and from my way to work every day.”

There was a time when San Francisco would not have had the power to tax major tech companies, which have traditionally based their campuses in the suburbs of Silicon Valley, about forty miles to the south.

A seminal moment came in 2011, when homegrown Twitter threatened to decamp somewhere cheaper and more business friendly.

The city responded, first by offering a payroll tax break to companies like Twitter that located in its rundown Central Market neighborhood, and then by phasing out the payroll tax altogether and replacing it with a gross receipts tax – a popular change for tech companies that often have large workforces before they have any revenue.

The companies that took advantage of San Francisco’s tech-friendly incentives were, back then, just getting started. Today, that same stretch of the city, where Twitter put down roots, now hosts companies (Uber, Spotify, Dolby, Square, Zendesk, Yammer) whose valuations collectively approach $100bn. Silicon Valley natives like Google, LinkedIn, and even Apple are rapidly expanding into the city too.

The tech tax would partially turn back the clock, bringing back the 1.5% payroll tax, but only for tech companies.

“I was convinced that we needed to do something to keep Twitter and other companies in the city,” said Mar, who voted for the Twitter tax break in 2011, “but we should have built in more protections for the community. I think it was a big mistake.”

This week, the city’s tech, political, and media establishment have savaged the proposal for the tech tax.

Mayor Ed Lee, through a spokeswoman, called it a “job-killing” measure that would “return this city back to the days of the Great Recession”. The San Francisco Chronicle called the the tax “a dangerously dumb idea” that is “profoundly reckless and self-defeating”.

Supporters of the tax admit that its passage is a political long shot, requiring the support of six supervisors to place it on the ballot (they currently have just three), followed by a two-thirds majority of voters in November. But they argue that the city needs to at least have a debate about the role of the tech industry in the city’s many challenges.

That debate, if it comes, will likely only sharpen the divide between the two different San Franciscos.

There are few places that divide is more visible than the headquarters of Twitter – a 1937 art deco building in a neighborhood with a high concentration of low-income residents, many of the city’s nearly 7,000 homeless people, and single-room occupancy residential hotels that still advertise that their televisions are color.

A female Google employee stood on the sidewalk one afternoon this week, a block from Twitter HQ, distributing free hot dogs and watermelon to a cluster of homeless and poor people. The food was leftover from an event organized by HandsOn Bay Area, a group that coordinates volunteer activities for corporations.

“It’s nice to do something in your own community,” said the Googler, who asked not to be identified because the company frowns upon its employees speaking to the media.

Down the street, millennials were hunched over laptops in the Twitter HQ’s plaza. What once was an alley providing access to a wholesale furniture marketplace has been transformed into a pedestrian plaza with an astroturf lawn, reclaimed wood boardwalks, a gas-fueled fire pit, and a glass gate that can be locked at night.

Watching over it all was Robert Shields, a security guard who lives in a residential hotel and says he is worried about getting evicted. His job is pretty simple, he said, and mostly involves “keeping homeless people out”.

That’s not really a challenge, Shield said as he surveyed the landscaped expanse fronting shops offering $5 coffee and $9 hot dogs served on baguettes. “They know better.”

loving do it already.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
A minor tax on the rich to help out the poor is “a dangerously dumb idea” that is “profoundly reckless and self-defeating”? Amazing.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
The following argument has been iterated many times in this thread, but techies are just scapegoats and really are undeserving targets for clueless liberals' frustration towards the cost of living in SF and the rest of the Bay Area. D & D posters and other progressives constantly complain about how millennials are not doing well economically and how they should have better opportunities, while in the same breath chastise young techies for making too much money.

The policies enacted by the landed gentry in SF and the rest of the Bay Area to limit the housing supply are the real reason why it is so expensive to live there. In an ideal world, the landowners would pay for the homeless shelters through their property taxes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
heres how it will go.

1. raises $120m in taxes to build poor people housing
2. is immediately shot down by voters who dont want to ruin their neighborhood

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

cheese posted:

A minor tax on the rich to help out the poor is “a dangerously dumb idea” that is “profoundly reckless and self-defeating”? Amazing.

If you don't keep a good supply of poors around to instill fear, how will you keep the petite bougoisie towing the line?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

It always strikes me as funny when people decry SFs high gini coefficient. Thats basically proof we haven't evicted all the poors.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Platonicsolid posted:

If you don't keep a good supply of poors around to instill fear, how will you keep the petite bougoisie towing the line?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEUh4FZIf8E

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

go3 posted:

heres how it will go.

1. raises $120m in taxes to build poor people housing
2. is immediately shot down by voters who dont want to ruin their neighborhood

Amendment: Anyone caught supporting any measures (including other people) preventing new construction is subject to a three strikes law, whereby after the third offense your home is bought by the government at the price prop 13 sets your taxes at. Tears shed for having to "leave your neighborhood" will be collected to combat the drought.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gail Wynand posted:

5 years of React and ES6 experience required

edit: I have gotten multiple interviews from Linkedin recruiters but in my experience it's most useful as a glorified directory of (ex)-coworkers/fellow alumni who you then contact offsite

I've gotten straight-up unsolicited job offers via LinkedIn, despite not having anything about what I've actually worked on for the past dozen years on the site

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cheese posted:

The job creator is rare creature, easily startled. It must be coaxed carefully with tax breaks and financial incentives. It is elusive but important to the ecosystem; without it the system will no doubt collapse. Take great care to avoid presenting things it does not like or it will burn everything down.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

cheese posted:

But why only tax tech specifically? There are plenty of finance industry 1%ers in San Francisco, and I think the city already has a local income tax.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ToxicSlurpee posted:

LinkedIn's core business is selling recruiters access to candidates. The standard fee for recruiters in tech is tens of thousands of dollars per candidate matched. "Recruiter spam" is common talk among softtware developers.

Meanwhile, other industries have dozens of people competing for unpaid internships so that they can get years of experience for highly competitive "entry-level" positions that hardly pay anything. Those are not industries where recruiters use LinkedIn.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The job creator is rare creature, easily startled. It must be coaxed carefully with tax breaks and financial incentives. It is elusive but important to the ecosystem; without it the system will no doubt collapse. Take great care to avoid presenting things it does not like or it will burn everything down.

Offer a tax break for guillotine occupancy.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

ShadowHawk posted:

But why only tax tech specifically? There are plenty of finance industry 1%ers in San Francisco, and I think the city already has a local income tax.
Probably because the Tech industry is not grounded in reality and plays with monopoly VC money, so why not let the city get a chunk of that cash? Taxing actual normal businesses, even if they are finance, might actually have an impact. Tech isn't moving out of the city over a 1% tax, but Uncle Joes Chinese food restaurant is not going to be able to shrug off that tax as easily.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Surely there's a way to do that through a progressive payroll tax that wouldn't affect businesses that aren't paying extremely high wages? Because afterwards deciding what is "tech" or not is going to get messy really fast.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah property taxes and a highly progressive payroll tax are probably the best ways to take care of this

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shazback posted:

Surely there's a way to do that through a progressive payroll tax that wouldn't affect businesses that aren't paying extremely high wages? Because afterwards deciding what is "tech" or not is going to get messy really fast.

lol tech. Untold billions are offered up at the altar of pinprick blood mysticism kits, automated highway guillotines, cadmium-infused Weight Watchers, and smartphone jitney services, but accounting software to impose an industry-specific payroll tax? That's black magic. Can't be done. Not possible. No siree.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

lol tech. Untold billions are offered up at the altar of pinprick blood mysticism kits, automated highway guillotines, cadmium-infused Weight Watchers, and smartphone jitney services, but accounting software to impose an industry-specific payroll tax? That's black magic. Can't be done. Not possible. No siree.

how would you judge which tech startup to tax? revenues? if so,

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Aliquid posted:

how would you judge which tech startup to tax? revenues? if so,

Wait wait wait, are folks in this thread actually claiming that there's no way to selectively or preferentially by industry? Ever heard of tv/movie production? Aerospace? This is pretty loving common.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait wait wait, are folks in this thread actually claiming that there's no way to selectively or preferentially by industry? Ever heard of tv/movie production? Aerospace? This is pretty loving common.

hey i just want to gently caress bankers and consultants just as hard, friend

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Accounting how does it work. :shrug:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Feinne posted:

Offer a tax break for guillotine occupancy.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Solkanar512 posted:

If you think it's straightforward to legally define "the tech industry", you should be able to offer a definition. As an example of why this might be hard, see the poster including "cadmium-infused Weight Watchers" in tech.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my app coordinates the crafty contractor with home depot parking lots. i'm in the construction industry

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

twodot posted:

If you think it's straightforward to legally define "the tech industry", you should be able to offer a definition. As an example of why this might be hard, see the poster including "cadmium-infused Weight Watchers" in tech.

Yet somehow the government already does this for foreign worker visas and tax incentives that target the tech industry.

You may be right though, Google might just have put Floral Design business on their incorporation documentation and there is just no way to classify an industry.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

ocrumsprug posted:

Yet somehow the government already does this for foreign worker visas and tax incentives that target the tech industry.

You may be right though, Google might just have put Floral Design business on their incorporation documentation and there is just no way to classify an industry.

This is how they classify industries.

But it's all based on self-identification AFAIK so it works a lot better for carrots than sticks, if you start taxing some NAICS codes higher than others than everyone's just gonna pick different codes to describe their businesses.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Aliquid posted:

yeah property taxes and a highly progressive payroll tax are probably the best ways to take care of this
This reminds me of that onion article Frustrated Nation Out Of Ideas To Solve Gun Violence Problem Except For All The Obvious Ones
except replace Gun Violence with Getting Rich Tech Companies To Pay Their Share. If only there were some way to take money from rich tech companies without hurting other business, besides the obvious of progressive payroll tax raises! Shame really.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Guy DeBorgore posted:

This is how they classify industries.

But it's all based on self-identification AFAIK so it works a lot better for carrots than sticks, if you start taxing some NAICS codes higher than others than everyone's just gonna pick different codes to describe their businesses.

twodot posted:

They could just make a loving list.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
CEO score on a standardized lolbertarian test + median number of "well, actually" tweets per employee should do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Ya, great idea. Let's drive out all the tech companies keeping the city afloat and let SF complete it's transformation into a 3rd world slum.

Not to mention it's a pointless idea anyway, as has been mentioned, that 150 million of housing revenue means gently caress all when there's nowhere in the city to build said housing, and no neighborhood will want it in its backyard.