Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
dealer's an idiot then. thanks guys! any luggage advice? revzilla doesn't have any hard luggage for me or I'm being an idiot with their site. something with low drag, preferably hard so i can bolt it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

edit, I wish the first gen sv came in fully faired. That blue with that nose looks fantastic, and they just need to complete it on down.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Does anyone know off the top of their head know the volume of oil needed to change out both forks in an 04+ SV? I think a 1 liter bottle will do both, but I can't recall.

I do have a fork oil height tool and notes from the last time I fooled around with it, but I just want to make sure I have enough oil on hand when I get around to it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Buy 2 to be safe and save you if you have an accidental spill.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Put about 170 miles on the SV today, :feelsgood:

There is no better feeling than taking off work to just gently caress off and ride all day

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
About to overpay for this beauty. Super loving stoked.

Built by the local motorcycle shop owner and was his personal bike. Now owned by an older gentlemen who kept it in his living room and barely rode it. No rust in the tank, new brake fluid, etc.

Has Ohlins rear shock, racetech internals in the forks, rear sets, clip ons, etc.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That thing is gorgeous. Overpay whatever it takes to get it. Everywhere I look, I see a new upgrade. Are the front brakes upgraded, or just those rotors? You have the gear indicator, too, I see. I loved that on my SV.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Coydog posted:

That thing is gorgeous. Overpay whatever it takes to get it. Everywhere I look, I see a new upgrade. Are the front brakes upgraded, or just those rotors? You have the gear indicator, too, I see. I loved that on my SV.

Just the standard SS lines and upgraded rotors and pads. But yeah, it's super loving cherry. 12k miles, 05. Got into a bidding war on the local forums when he posted it. Ended up at my max but it's going to be pimp. Does everything my old SV didn't do and way more.

I'll post up tonight whether it comes home with me or not.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

XYLOPAGUS posted:

About to overpay for this beauty. Super loving stoked.

Built by the local motorcycle shop owner and was his personal bike. Now owned by an older gentlemen who kept it in his living room and barely rode it. No rust in the tank, new brake fluid, etc.

Has Ohlins rear shock, racetech internals in the forks, rear sets, clip ons, etc.

Nice!! Any idea what rotors those are?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Coydog posted:

any recommendations for gear indicators? for a '00

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Verge posted:

try a brain and rudimentary counting skills

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nice!! Any idea what rotors those are?

Braking STX

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Razzled posted:

try a brain and rudimentary counting skills

it's just nice to be sure when I'm not certain it switched gears.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
And the SV used to have such a welcoming community.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

TheFonz posted:

And the SV used to have such a welcoming community.

don't mind him, he just follows me around salting everything. i don't think he even rides an sv

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Verge posted:

Nah, my sv came with it installed, like his does. Look online and pick one that looks good to you. Or don't, because it's more trouble than it's worth. Shift when the bike wants to be shifted. Doesn't matter what gear it's currently in, if the revs are right. If you ride long enough, you'll be able to tell anyway, subconsciously.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Verge posted:

I've never seen the point in a gear indicator on a motorcycle. Why do you want one?

e:

Verge posted:

If this is a regular problem, adjust your shift linkage to better accommodate your foot's range of movement.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 2, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Verge posted:

I have a Healtech on my R6. Little finicky but it works. I'd wager that OPs bike has the same one.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

I've never seen the point in a gear indicator on a motorcycle. Why do you want one?

e:

If this is a regular problem, adjust your shift linkage to better accommodate your foot's range of movement.

sweet thanks, didn't know i could do that

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Verge posted:

this is my 5th bike... anyway, ive always had 6 speeds but as far as i know, it's supposed to have 5 because it's first gen.

Verge posted:

sweet thanks, didn't know i could do that

Bicycles don't count when you talk bike ownership history.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

TheFonz posted:

Bicycles don't count when you talk bike ownership history.

ninja 250, cm400t, xg750 plus a typo.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
So I was cut off by someone turning left in front of me friday and I dropped the bike and broke my clutch handle and bent some stuff. I just put a new clutch handle on but I'm not 100% sure it's adjusted correctly. I tried to look this up and could only find a guide with missing pictures and it was confusing.

The green line shows the original position of the cut in the top of the bolt. I read that I want the angle more where I adjusted it, close to 90 degrees. Is this correct though?

Right now there is zero slack in the handle, I'm not convinced the clutch can fully engage the way it is. Is this something I adjust with the barrel nuts themselves?

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Yes. Adjust the slack at the handlebars, not down by the engine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah. Screw the lever adjuster in all the way (max slack), then move the bars back and forth while turning it back out until you reach a point where the clutch starts to engage somewhere by turning the bars. Turn the adjuster back in a turn or two from that point, so that the clutch is loose throughout the entire range of motion. If you can't reach that point with the lever adjuster, then you mess with the clutch actuator bit.

If that's too complex, just put 2cm of slack in the lever and leave it at that.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah. Screw the lever adjuster in all the way (max slack), then move the bars back and forth while turning it back out until you reach a point where the clutch starts to engage somewhere by turning the bars. Turn the adjuster back in a turn or two from that point, so that the clutch is loose throughout the entire range of motion. If you can't reach that point with the lever adjuster, then you mess with the clutch actuator bit.

If that's too complex, just put 2cm of slack in the lever and leave it at that.

Thanks I appreciate this, makes sense too with the handlebar movement. I'm a bit sore still but I'm pretty sure it was kind of hosed up to begin with so at least it'll come out better than before.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, gently caress all that.
Put your new lever on, stick a quarter in between where the lever hits the perch, wind the barrel out until it's snug but not tight, lock the barrel snug with the larger ring, and remove the quarter.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yeah thanks guys I have it all set up, even better than it was before. A little slack then it engages right around the middle.

Now to ride it around tomorrow and listen for other signs of brokenness :downs:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Update: The SV is sitting in my garage right now.

Gear indicator could only be useful at a track which means it's just a cool farkle for me. Also has a quick shifter that I have no idea how to use. Bike sat in the dudes living room for a while, won't idle on its own but I'm pretty sure it's the super old gas. Tossed some octane booster in it and rode it around a bit, blipping the throttle like a retard.

Front master is off a gsxr. Tank spacers installed. Handles like a loving dream. Need to replace tires asap. Title transfer is going to be tricky but I'll get into that later.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Bike sat in the dudes living room for a while, won't idle on its own but I'm pretty sure it's the super old gas. Tossed some octane booster in it and rode it around a bit,

If it's having difficulty burning the old/bad gas, increasing the octane is just going to make the problem worse. :science:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Ca approved method is to drain the tank?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
12v on the fuel pump

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Ca approved method is to drain the tank?

Yup, just like if you got old oil, bro. Drain that poo poo, put it in your mower (assuming you hate your mower as much as I do!)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Got a gsxr front end! Putting it in this Saturday and getting rid of that hideous half fairing. Hopefully it all goes well.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Partial Octopus posted:

Got a gsxr front end! Putting it in this Saturday and getting rid of that hideous half fairing. Hopefully it all goes well.

i like the hideous half fairing. anyone know if they would fit on a 2000 sv650 naked?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Verge posted:

i like the hideous half fairing. anyone know if they would fit on a 2000 sv650 naked?

No, no they would not.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The one I have is all rashed up on the right side. You probably wouldn't want it anyway.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

After 10 hours and frustration and machining brackets for gauges I have completed the front end swap. It looks amazing and I'll post pictures soon.

So before doing the swap my throttle was not very smooth. After putting on clip ons the throttle will not close by itself at all. It seems that the position the clip ons are in creates too much of a bend in the cables I suppose. Keep in mind these cables are over 10 years old and have never been lubed.

If I get new cables should I get OEM cables or go with something like GSXR cables?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I just ordered some new clip ons with risers as well as the Motion Pro throttle kit. Hopefully that fixes all my problems.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Dope. You get the speedo sorted alright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

M42 posted:

Dope. You get the speedo sorted alright?

Yep. Made a mounting bracket for it and got some parts and magnets from Digikey to get the speedo running correctly. Used this fix: https://www.reddit.com/r/SVRiders/comments/1m53dv/speedo_fix_for_gsxr_frontend_swap_source_greg_li/

• Locked thread