Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How does the decay work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Nobody knows specifics, but with any matchmaking system I can think of, decay is a normal and ubiquitous feature that exists to prevent inflation. Generally speaking, if you take a big enough break to where your rank disappears, you probably lost at least some rating. If it wasn't long, it might not be enough to derank you once; if you're gone for a few months, it might be a more severe cost. Generally, decay stops at a certain rank in the middle, but like I said, these are guesses based on other MM systems I'm familiar with.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
From my own experience with decay, I've had a global rank down to mg2 after 3+ months of inactivity, a global rank down to SMFC after only a couple of days past losing the displayed rank, and an SMFC go down to LE after a little less than two months. Decay from inactivity seems pretty aggressive, but ranking back up also appears to be faster than usual, though that may also just be because I'll be playing against high ranks and getting more elo or whatever from that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hi I haven't played this game in a long time and my mouse sensitivity from when I played it last is set to 20 inches per rotation. I remember it was on the low end but is that within the normal range? It feels very low

edit: ok i remember it was 30cm/360 back then, this feels much more reasonable

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 30, 2016

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Mine's lower

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

Hi I haven't played this game in a long time and my mouse sensitivity from when I played it last is set to 20 inches per rotation. I remember it was on the low end but is that within the normal range? It feels very low

edit: ok i remember it was 30cm/360 back then, this feels much more reasonable

how much god drat desk space do you people have

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Pomp posted:

i have one of those big flat desks that attaches to your shelving from ikea

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

any desk with a little keyboard shelf drawer thing = fail

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Pomp posted:

Quite a bit. Put my whole arm up there. It helps, but I still can't hit poo poo because my crosshair placement discipline falls apart the second I get startled or distracted.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I used to play at almost 45" per 360 on a 17" mousemat.

Also lol at people talking about the rank shift without mentioning the original rank inflation that was undone in the great deranking. I love it when people go "well I was lem before the rank shift, now im gn2" and never mention they were also gn2 before they got that sweet sweet free rank increase.

On the subject of decay: Before they instituted XP I had LE (pre-pre shift) alt that I never got to rank 3 to play mm on. Now that they dropped the rank requirement I jumped back on and its silver 3.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I wonder how many overwatch reports you'll generate if you try to rank it back up

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I went 45-7 when I got my rank back with a CT pistol ace to start the game so at lease one so far.

Not sure if its worth playing on as a smurf or alt without prime though. I was thinking about trying to get global on it and keeping my main account at lem for more casual play with friends and goons but I'd want prime if I was gonna do that.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pomp posted:

I actually play on the floor. 10 feet of mouse maneuverability, bitches. :getin:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't handle the inadequacy i'm feeling, so i'm buying a bigger mousepad and moving my tower off my desk but to spite you all i'm sticking to my 10cm 360

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

loving...matchmaking...

I went into death match and walked into a fight and this guy insisting that he is trying to tell this story and people keep interrupting him. This guy keeps doing this for 2 servers and somewhere between having a fight and trying to tell people his story, he and his mom get into a weird conversation. So, at the end of the fourth round he finally says he'll tell his story on the next one. He then proceeds to tell a much dirtier version of my dog skip. People were loving mad. It was the most elaborate troll alive seen pulled off in a while. And it was fun to watch

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

trying to jack off posted:

any desk with a little keyboard shelf drawer thing = fail

Thats what I got and I own (In Silver Elite)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/astralisgg/status/748863841333813248

Gonna win this and then start spinbotting mid match

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Am I the only one that has trouble adjusting to the 128 tick private server after only playing MM? I swear it seems people are reacting inhumanly fast, I'm actually wondering if my autoexec isn't good for that tick. I'm not new to the game, I understand prefiring known spots and such, but it almost seems like I'm getting killed when I appear to be behind cover on my screen. Feels totally different to MM servers.

Edit: In b4 git gud

Crimson fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 2, 2016

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So to get a displayed rank you need 10 wins. I'm up to a whole 4 wins in 10 matches and the past 2 wins earned me a nice 21hr cooldown each time. Is people buying new accounts to get easy kills that bad?

I only picked up this game last week and have not played CS other than a few source matches long ago and very old .8-1.2 or so. Kind of sucks to see the same loving maps are still spammed and still always get map voted. I mean really dust 2.. again? ugh.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ded posted:

Kind of sucks to see the same loving maps are still spammed and still always get map voted. I mean really dust 2.. again? ugh.
They fixed this a few weeks back, though, so it removes the current map out of the voting pool.

I mean it's dust2-mirage-dust2-mirage-dust2-mirage now with cache occasionally thrown in for good measure, but still.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ya thats what I run into when doing casual. Its dust2-mirage SOMETIMES cache omg! Then for reserves its office/italy only and people get mad as hell if assault actually comes up.

For the competitive matches all I've seen is dust2 and mirage. And strangely I seem to do 200% better in a competitive match. Is something different with the accuracy or is it just I'm not getting mobbed by half the team every time heh.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

ded posted:

Ya thats what I run into when doing casual. Its dust2-mirage SOMETIMES cache omg! Then for reserves its office/italy only and people get mad as hell if assault actually comes up.

For the competitive matches all I've seen is dust2 and mirage. And strangely I seem to do 200% better in a competitive match. Is something different with the accuracy or is it just I'm not getting mobbed by half the team every time heh.

The simple change to 5v5 makes a big difference and on top of that there is an actual economy to worry about and a need to purchase your own armor. There's no difference to the weapons except for the on-kill bonus.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

ded posted:

So to get a displayed rank you need 10 wins. I'm up to a whole 4 wins in 10 matches and the past 2 wins earned me a nice 21hr cooldown each time. Is people buying new accounts to get easy kills that bad?

but of course
what did you think?

also casual/dm is not real cs!!! Comp is where its at, just dont click on d2 when queuing and youll get other good maps. Mind you, the played maps pool hasnt really grown in size since 1.6, the trifecta of endless d2, inferno and nuke only had a couple additions in GO: some classic maps that were comparatively rarer like mirage, cobble and (much more uncommonly) train, with two newcomers, cache and overpass, with cache not even a go original.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

ded posted:

I only picked up this game last week and have not played CS other than a few source matches long ago and very old .8-1.2 or so. Kind of sucks to see the same loving maps are still spammed and still always get map voted. I mean really dust 2.. again? ugh.

The cooldown is pretty aids but just keep at it. Either find a good community server or play the other modes I guess.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
It is kind of sad that new maps are ephemeral but thanks to people stubbornly holding onto their classics there's little hope for anything new to get into the rotation. I'm surprised Nuke and Train made reappearances, much less Inferno getting removed.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Yeah I know what you mean. I wish they would take the cream of the ops maps and put them in the reserve pool or something.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ded posted:

The difference is that you could be playing with Globals in Casual, but MM will match you against people closer to your skill level. Even before you get your rank displayed, you're still getting matched with middle-of-the-road players instead of just whoever happens to join.

I can play casual all day and never get more than 10 kills. Queue up in MM and suddenly I'm top fragging with 25-30+ kills. The ranking system isn't perfect but at least there's some consistency in who you face.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

What sites do you guys use to trade?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Rekkit posted:

It depends on what you're trading, and your goal. If you're talking top tier stuff, the reddit trade subreddit isn't bad.

For trading up, I just use csgodiamonds.com. If you're putting skins in that cost a certain amount, you get full value. They also don't require you to gamble your deposit, so you can just put in skins of your choice and then withdraw the skin you want from the marketplace.

Depositing is easy, you send the trade, and an offer will pop up telling you how much they'll give you. You can accept it or deny it (and the trade doesn't go through if you don't accept. It's way less painless than dealing with some people, even if you get slightly less than what you could squeeze out over long negotiations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBgefPtWzBE

randomrambo has some interesting thoughts on the SG that pretty much sums up things I've been saying for ages

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBgefPtWzBE

randomrambo has some interesting thoughts on the SG that pretty much sums up things I've been saying for ages

cod gun is good your just bad

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Smithereens posted:

cod gun is good your just bad

Agreed on both counts

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I mean, I've said it before. It seems objectively better on paper than an AK, but it simply fails to deliver. This guy is delusional if he thinks pro players have not pretty exhaustively messed around with it. When the MP9 sees more competitive play, you know there is something inherently wrong with the gun. I've seen more Dualies than SGs to be honest. The spray pattern may be simple yet it just seems to just be kinda poo poo in practice. It's superior maybe 2 situations out of 10, and those times I think I'd prefer to have an AWP.

The only really good point made in the video is that people try to use it like an AK, but that is not playing to its strengths. This is true, but that just puts it in an awkward situation where it's not as good as a sniper for holding/peeking long angles and not as good as an AK when it comes to bread and butter rifling. He seems confused how a game with millions of players hasn't caught onto this hidden gem, and he's right to be confused, because there's really no way that could happen. It's just pretty much everybody else has played around with it and eventually rejected it.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Jeza posted:

I mean, I've said it before. It seems objectively better on paper than an AK, but it simply fails to deliver. This guy is delusional if he thinks pro players have not pretty exhaustively messed around with it. When the MP9 sees more competitive play, you know there is something inherently wrong with the gun. I've seen more Dualies than SGs to be honest. The spray pattern may be simple yet it just seems to just be kinda poo poo in practice. It's superior maybe 2 situations out of 10, and those times I think I'd prefer to have an AWP.

The only really good point made in the video is that people try to use it like an AK, but that is not playing to its strengths. This is true, but that just puts it in an awkward situation where it's not as good as a sniper for holding/peeking long angles and not as good as an AK when it comes to bread and butter rifling. He seems confused how a game with millions of players hasn't caught onto this hidden gem, and he's right to be confused, because there's really no way that could happen. It's just pretty much everybody else has played around with it and eventually rejected it.

i am a pro and i use the sg. i think it is a cool and good gun that you can basically use as an awp with more mobility. people usually complain when they get 1-clicked in their domicile which means i am doing something good.

in all honesty, it seems like a really strong gun for aggressive peeking and holding angles, which is everything i ever do with any gun. only downsides i see are price, limited fov when scoped, and movement speed. i try to minimize the scope/movement issues by holding angles where i know i'm covered from my flank or just minimizing time while scoped in ala the QUIK scope method.

but if you don't like the sg you probably don't like the ssg which i also think is a strong gun that is more fun than the awp. promotes good headshot aim and you can abuse the jump accuracy ;^]

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Jeza posted:

It seems objectively better on paper than an AK, but it simply fails to deliver.

Only if you're incompetent with the SG, which is probably true for 99% of the playerbase. If you're comfortable with the spray and the occasional quickscope, the gun is fantastic. Obviously you need to play to its strengths, but it not being as good as an awp while sometimes having a semi-similar role doesn't really make things awkward, just different, and I think that's the point he's trying to make when he says people treat it like an AK. Certainly the awp is a better rifle for almost any long range engagement but it also costs a fortune in comparison, so it's not like you're gonna have the ability to freely choose between the two on the vast majority of rounds.
Also, like he says in the video, I would never encourage anyone to field like four sg's and one awp, that's just silly. It's not a rifle that replaces the AK or its role, nor is it meant to be, I think. (that said, running three sg's and two awps for a total of five scopes can often be hilarious on stomps)

Unrelated to its applications in high level play and more towards the millions of players who haven't caught on, I don't doubt that a lot of people have "played around with it and eventually rejected it", but having briefly played around with it really isn't enough time to learn the nuances of the gun, and the incredibly negative attitude people have towards the scoped rifles, especially at lower ranks, probably drives a lot of people away from even considering playing with it. Like, I have never been told to literally kill myself when owning someone with the aforementioned mp9 or any other weapon in the game, but with the sig it's pretty much par for the course, sometimes on the very first round it's in play.
When I first started playing GO as a nova 2 or whatever, I was lambasted almost every other game by either my teammates or the opposition, usually not-so-politely informing me that the gun was poo poo, I was poo poo, and that it would never work against good players and the only reason I took this kind of negative attitude as intense encouragement is that I'm probably retarded.

They were probably right that I was and am poo poo, but it turns out the gun is good (enough to carry me) and that it kills the highest level of player just as easily as it kills the detritus down in nova, sometimes I suspect it does the job better because even high level players don't know what to expect from a competent sger since they're almost as rare as unicorns

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 2, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
A good player can make any gun work. You can probably roll with the galil all game and do 80-90% as well as you would have otherwise, and given that performance fluctuates pretty wildly, you can probably own as much face with an SG as an AK most of the time. I'm just a firm believer in the idea of collective intelligence and the way players naturally gravitate to what works best. Maybe if this was a small game I could believe there were undiscovered depths on this scale, but if the gun really was superior to the AK I think we would know by now, 3 years into its shelf life. All it takes is a few games of somebody getting owned by a few SG trendsetters to start the ball rolling, and it would spread exponentially. The fact that is doesn't and never has says more, I think, than any specific argument I could give against the gun.

I totally buy into the idea that the gun has an unfair rep, and that maybe too much old school tradition stands in the way of it being played more, but few were sentimental about the Deagle for long when the CZ and Tek-9 replaced it.

Y
Sep 29, 2004

it's time to step up
i love the sg but i don't see how it's a "pro" gun.

the spray pattern being "better" in a vacuum is negated by the fact that instead of 1 rifle spray pattern on your side (AK) now you have to master 3 of them (scoped and unscoped sg as well as AK for when you end up using one due to economy or not playing a position where it's advantageous or whatever) and you'll invariably make more mistakes spraying than you otherwise would.

the scope doesn't really give pros much vision advantage since they all have adderall hawkeyes and can spot a mote of dust shifting. the accuracy advantage is real and measurable but in most shooting situations - where you're closer than pit long A to goose or whatever - the accuracy improvement won't be noticeable. as the video mentions the vision loss on everything outside the scope is very relevant.

it's strange the video listed the cost of the gun as a pro, and not a con. at least it should be in both categories like the scope is. just two rounds of buying the sg instead of the AK is money that could have gone to two flashes, a molly, a tec9 on a future eco, etc. that poo poo adds up quickly. it's certainly cheaper than holding angles with an awp every round but the point of comparison is clearly to other rifles first, not an awp.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Rekkit posted:

B

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Only situation I can imagine the SG being worth it, is in hitting long range, like in pit to A on dust, but lol if you sit still in pit and try to pick fights with the awpers on site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The biggest risk of the SG is dropping it to the CTs and I'm willing to bet that's at least part of the reason why pros don't buy it.