Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zoness posted:

Um there is nothing janky or late-pick worthy about detention sphere, azorius charm, supreme verdict, and sphinx's revelation.
Or Boros Reckoner/Pack Rat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Or Underworld Connections or Desecration Demon or Gray Merchant of Asphodel or Thoughtseize.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Zoness posted:

Um there is nothing janky or late-pick worthy about detention sphere, azorius charm, supreme verdict, and sphinx's revelation.

The Black and Blue devotions decks were exactly what Ciprian Maricon wanted in Magic: decks worth more than the sum of their parts. Also gently caress UW Elixir forever.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GoutPatrol posted:

See blue gets NOTHING

Hello RTR/THS Standard, where uncommon jank and draft leavings (with small exceptions) became the best decks.

The best decks were:

GR Monsters, a deck that curved Domri into Polukranos into Stormbreath Dragon
UW Control, a deck that had Detention Sphere, Sphinx's Revelation, Supreme Verdict, Elspeth and 4 copies of Jace
Mono-Black, a deck that had nothing but rares other than Grey Merchant.
Mono Blue, which had 4 copies of Thassa and Master of Waves, sometimes ran Jace. Running Frostburn Weird, Judge's Familiar and Cloudfin Raptor doesn't mean the deck was draft leavings. It was an expensive deck.

All of these decks had 3 or 4 copies of Mutavault. I don't know what universe you are in where Mono black or mono blue were cheap or made of uncommon jank.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 2, 2016

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm definitely in the minority though, so I'd just settle for like a bone thrown my way now and again, let me lose a million FNM matches with a bad Astral Slide 2.0, id prefer that to winning forever with some Gxx list in perpetuity.

I'm not sure what kind of rational world view can hate terrible grindy GW mirrors but love Astral Slide, the original and most grindy of all GW mirrors.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The recent deck made out of draft leavings is actually rally, except for its manabase, jace, and coco

Elyv fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 2, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

legoman727 posted:

Also Wailing Ghoul is a color shift of Screeching Skaab from Innistrad 1, it's kinda great.

It's not and Screeching Skaab got reprinted in Origins (from Dark Ascension) and is still in Standard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think quite a lot of people would have called Rally the Ancestors the worst rare in FRF when it was released.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think quite a lot of people would have called Rally the Ancestors the worst rare in FRF when it was released.

Rally the Ancestors is still the worst rare in FRF.

It's just for different reasons. :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I remember someone specifically calling it a bulk rare that someone smart will eventually find a way to abuse.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It was Collected Company that allowed that deck to be properly unfair anyway. It wasn't a deck before Dragons, right?

The first sighting I remember had a Mogis's Marauder combo finish, I think before Origin's Natuko Husk. Not certain if that was DTK standard.

e:I forgot Satyr Wayfinder also powered the Rally when it was legal

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 2, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yes, playing paper Magic again was certainly a good idea.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Star Man posted:

Star Man, you know I have mad love for you, bro, but I see a clean store and no buttcracks. I think you just need to deal with it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Star Man posted:

I'm afraid I don't understand.
Granted, I'm looking at this on my phone but

Edit: Oh. Now I see.

Could be worse.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Mikujin posted:

Also kind of a tired and boring premise to see Liliana, largely a villainous anti-hero, suddenly decide "You know what, friendship really IS magic guys."

"So that's it, huh? You want me to take some kind of oath to watch the Gate?"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i can't even tell what is going on there. he's got some sort of fur cape with bloodstains on it?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

little munchkin posted:

i can't even tell what is going on there. he's got some sort of fur cape with bloodstains on it?

look down from that

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

The first sighting I remember had a Mogis's Marauder combo finish, I think before Origin's Natuko Husk. Not certain if that was DTK standard.

Yeah, I think Mogis's Marauder was the first time I saw someone actually pay mana to cast Rally. It was magical because Devotion had absolutely nothing to do with anything else in that deck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
oh just noticed the tail. tails are cool i guess

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

little munchkin posted:

oh just noticed the tail. tails are cool i guess

Tails is cool. Tails, however are not.

Cool.

Not cool.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Miles "Tails" Prower isn't cool either.

So we have 5? Mythics revealed. Liliana will be one. I wonder how bad the red ones will be.

Star Man posted:

It also doesn't smell in here either. Too bad the singles prices here are worse than SCG.

This one always baffles me. I had a story try to sell me something 25 percent over SCG when they knew I was finishing a deck so I could play it... at the tourney SCG was hosting!

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 2, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Toshimo posted:

Star Man, you know I have mad love for you, bro, but I see a clean store and no buttcracks. I think you just need to deal with it.

It also doesn't smell in here either. Too bad the singles prices here are worse than SCG.

Anyway, 2-0 with White Weenie. Went 2-1 against GW tokens and 2-0 against UR Prowess.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Wasn't there a picture of some vendor that had a full foil rally sheet and the joke was how bad that was

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Well that was a frustrating evening. First two rounds I mulled 4/5 games twice to five. All clear mulligans. Round three my deck finally works and crush some poor new guy. Pretty nice U splash black for removal. Ended 1-1-1

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Angry Grimace posted:

They could form an entire team of insane Planeswalkers with Nahiri, Sarkhan, Tezzeret,
Garruck and Tibalt.

WotC already han entire team of insane Planswalkers, it was called the Invasion block.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
How the hell are my pre-ordered new Thalias shipped today? Place your bets on what I find in the package.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Jorath posted:

How the hell are my pre-ordered new Thalias shipped today? Place your bets on what I find in the package.

Enjoy your playset of Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jorath posted:

Welcome to the fold'mrakul.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Death Bot posted:

Wasn't there a picture of some vendor that had a full foil rally sheet and the joke was how bad that was

How do people get sheets of cards? Isn't that suspicious as hell?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Salvor_Hardin posted:

How do people get sheets of cards? Isn't that suspicious as hell?

They are given out as promos and prizes for various things.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Death Bot posted:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cactrot posted:

They are given out as promos and prizes for various things.

Oh ok. Outside of that it seemed like it would have to be lifted from a printing factory or fall out of the back of a truck sort of deal.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I went 3-2 and lost to an RG deck and a Mono R deck. I won four packs and turned them into $10 store credit at $2.50 per pack. I think I did okay.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Schwarzwald posted:

WotC already han entire team of insane Planswalkers, it was called the Invasion block.

And they're all dead now.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

What do you think this dude does for a living. Like, how does he live.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Soul Glo posted:

Looks like an investment banker. Those (fur)suits are expensive.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Soul Glo posted:

Professional assassin.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Soul Glo posted:

You know all those creepy anime card game kickstarters? Yeah, that.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Angry Grimace posted:

The best decks were:

GR Monsters, a deck that curved Domri into Polukranos into Stormbreath Dragon
UW Control, a deck that had Detention Sphere, Sphinx's Revelation, Supreme Verdict, Elspeth and 4 copies of Jace
Mono-Black, a deck that had nothing but rares other than Grey Merchant.
Mono Blue, which had 4 copies of Thassa and Master of Waves, sometimes ran Jace. Running Frostburn Weird, Judge's Familiar and Cloudfin Raptor doesn't mean the deck was draft leavings. It was an expensive deck.

All of these decks had 3 or 4 copies of Mutavault. I don't know what universe you are in where Mono black or mono blue were cheap or made of uncommon jank.

Mono-Red was also a strong deck in that standard, though they, too, contained Mutavaults. Most everything else was bulk, though (unless you were on the Mono-R Devotion deck which wasn't as good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Feels nice to run the tables every once in a while. Didn't even drop the game I mulled to five.

• Locked thread