Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone tried Vanilla Bagel: The Roguelike? I hadn't heard of it but the tile work is pretty good
So I tried out this new Vanilla Bagel roguelike on Steam.

Not a bad game--the sprites are okay--but overall it's quite unpolished at the moment. The UI needs a lot more work, and it's fairly obvious this hasn't been played by many people before it was dumped on Steam. Feels like it would've been better released as an EA title, as it's clearly not "done." Sometimes even basic actions like using potions from your inventory won't work, and you'll have to try multiple times, or even exit the inventory and return (or wait until a later turn).

It's billed as an ADOM-like, so you have the expected populated overworld that connects subterranean areas, the former being static and the latter composed of pretty random low-quality map generation.

As the title indicates, it really is a Vanilla roguelike experience (bagel == roguelike in the dev's native language). There is no manual (or wiki, either) and many important mechanics go unexplained, so unless you enjoy learning blind without much in the way of feedback (and redoing all the same dialogue and quests with each new run) I'd say wait on this one for a while until it gets some updates. At least the dev seems responsive enough, so I'm sure it'll get better with time.

(I've seen others with a very different take on it, saying it's a great game and pouring dozens of hours into it already, but I don't think it's worth it yet.)

My recommendation: Buy CoQ instead. Same price, 10x the roguelike :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

Is the main quest complete yet?

Hahahahaha. :allears:

You see this? You see this Unormal?

Qud just got sludgy sludges and sludges that make you high and...

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hahahahaha. :allears:

You see this? You see this Unormal?

Qud just got sludgy sludges and sludges that make you high and...

After tonight's update adding scripting mods, the community is already burning the midnight oil.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to create the universe, one must first create a dick mod

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Unormal posted:

After tonight's update adding scripting mods, the community is already burning the midnight oil.

I am unreasonably happy.

CoQ rings

:allears:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Is that a 30-pound cock ring, or am I misreading the image?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Counterbalanced, flaming

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

how else is it supposed to provide armor

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

FredMSloniker posted:

Is that a 30-pound cock ring, or am I misreading the image?

The mutation said large, it just didn't say in relation to what.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Unormal posted:

Johnny Joestar posted:

to create the universe, one must first create a dick mod

Congrats, Unormal! You've finally hit the big time!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
update on Runner complex. I ducking suck at inheritance and am switching to rpg maker because a lot of the plugins are already done for what I want. I'm sure it will still be fun.

e: Runner Complex is just an idea for a name

e2: My lord this is easy. I just find RPG Maker scripts and slap them together for what I want. This seriously might be something amazing.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 2, 2016

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
I shelved Dungeonmans after playing it for an hour or so awhile back. It didn't click for me then and I'm not sure why because after firing it up again the other day I haven't been able to stop. I think I was being to harsh on it and expecting it to be exactly like Dungeon Crawl or something.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
On the bandwagon of people whove downloaded unity after the discussion from a few pages back. I think im gonna follow tutorials for a few nights then start a project. I might try the roguelike one tonight but it might be over my head. Thinking of trying to make something like Kings of Dragon Pass which im thinking may not be too hard, but at the moment I know so little I dont really have a clue how hard anything is.

Edit:

About 4 hours into the unity roguelike tutorial and ive got the level gen working. I only half know whats going on code wise but I could usually pinpoint which function i made a mistake on. I havent ever done any object oriented programming and this is making it make a bit of sense.

Isaac fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 2, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jimb posted:

I shelved Dungeonmans after playing it for an hour or so awhile back. It didn't click for me then and I'm not sure why because after firing it up again the other day I haven't been able to stop. I think I was being to harsh on it and expecting it to be exactly like Dungeon Crawl or something.

It's closer to ToME but easier to jump into, and with a Dredmor style grab bag skills system.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Jimb posted:

It's gotten quite a bit better over the years. Surprising for an Early Access game, I know!

Isaac posted:

On the bandwagon of people whove downloaded unity after the discussion from a few pages back. I think im gonna follow tutorials for a few nights then start a project. I might try the roguelike one tonight but it might be over my head. Thinking of trying to make something like Kings of Dragon Pass which im thinking may not be too hard, but at the moment I know so little I dont really have a clue how hard anything is.

Edit:

About 4 hours into the unity roguelike tutorial and ive got the level gen working. I only half know whats going on code wise but I could usually pinpoint which function i made a mistake on. I havent ever done any object oriented programming and this is making it make a bit of sense.

Go, man, go! Nothing's as hard as it looks!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Johnny Joestar posted:

anyways, 9 bucks is seriously a steal for one of the most tightly-constructed and coherent roguelikes that's easy to get into to that i've ever played

I don't know about "tightly-constructed." Qud has a lot of system stapled together and some of them (at least last I played) were a mess. Like there's a reason everyone who praises it talks about the cool stuff you can do / that can happen and not in-depth mechanical analysis.

Sproggiwood, now, that's a tightly-constructed game. Caves of Qud with Sproggiwood-like combat would make me very happy.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
There's some Deathstate happening right now, 12p PST 2 July

https://www.twitch.tv/esty8nine

e: dude finally turned the game music on, within 30 seconds I was clicking on the steam shop page like a mad whore to buy the game... and the servers are being lovely. But I will!

edit 2: one more game, what should I get?

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 2, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

madjackmcmad posted:

e: dude finally turned the game music on, within 30 seconds I was clicking on the steam shop page like a mad whore to buy the game... and the servers are being lovely. But I will!

Do you have 868-HACK? That's probably my favorite minimalist roguelike at the moment.

edit: Right, I nearly forgot to ask: Deathstate: do the drifting bands of color have any gameplay effects? I can't find anything on 'em in the steam forums or via google.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

Mini metro game is crunk

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Unormal posted:

Mini metro game is crunk

I picked Mini Metro up on sale recently, as I had it on my wishlist since I first saw it. I think it's pretty well made, though it's definitely one of those games I play one round of when I've got like 10 minutes to kill rather than a game I sit down and play for hours at a time. If you like logistic puzzles though, I would personally recommend it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you have 868-HACK? That's probably my favorite minimalist roguelike at the moment.

edit: Right, I nearly forgot to ask: Deathstate: do the drifting bands of color have any gameplay effects? I can't find anything on 'em in the steam forums or via google.

The 868-HACK video is pretty good, turns out I would bootleg a burrito.

Also I saw that Harebrained Schemes is making a game called Necropolis, it's 3rd person action roguelike with coop. Looks pretty cool but I'll wait and see how tight the combat feels.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/384490/

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
How is The Curious Expedition? I heard the developers talking about it on Roguelike Radio, but I already have one exploration-themed roguelike in Renowned Explorers.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
In free-time game-dev news, I did some more environmental work and started blocking in (really, really) placeholder UI. I've also tentatively landed on the title I Will Not Die

http://i.imgur.com/6xuePGQ.gifv

madjackmcmad posted:

Thanks! I'll be sure to let our music guys know you dig the tunes!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Short answer, yes. Specifically what they do depends on what you're talking about.

Mechanics spoiler:
Every level has one or two minor gameplay changing "auras" like faster mana regen, or the spinning wave of darkness which doubles all damage while you're inside the beam. All the auras are messaged visually by either a unique screen effect or a unique symbol in the overlay.

Double spoiler:
The "expanded insight" items tell you explicitly what auras are currently in effect.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Naar posted:

How is The Curious Expedition? I heard the developers talking about it on Roguelike Radio, but I already have one exploration-themed roguelike in Renowned Explorers.

I also would appreciate a review/answer.

Might be useful for some people if you want the majority of the games in the bundle. Re: Roguelikes and Steam Summer Sale

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3088591/software-games/10-great-steam-summer-sale-game-bundles-that-will-save-you-even-more-money.html#slide4

quote:

Turn-based strategy bundle
Steam has also packaged similar games together to create themed bundles around specific genres. Most slip in a full-priced game or two and the occasional stinker, but a couple stand out from the crowd.

First up: The $39.82 turn-based strategy bundle, which includes The Banner Saga, Invisible Inc., Hard West, Gremlins Inc., and Thea: The Awakening. That’s a great lineup, and you’ll save 10 percent more than if you purchased the games separately.

Hey guys. Buy Neo-Scavenger if you like post-apoc survival games. UNDER $5.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3088761/software-games/more-steam-summer-sale-gems-15-great-games-under-5.html#slide3

quote:

Neo Scavenger
Speaking of ugly, brutal, and wonderful games, fans of tough experiences will want to check out Neo Scavenger ($4.94 during the sale).

You wake up in a wasteland with no idea what’s going on, and must survive long enough to figure out the randomized world. Saying that’s harder than it sounds would be an understatement. The game’s mechanics don’t let up, with the constant threats of hunger, weather exposure, dehydration, and devastatingly dirty no-holds-barred combat looming. The fighting, wound system, and inventory are all gloriously, sometimes frustratingly realistic. And did I mention that when you die, you stay dead, and have to start over? There aren’t even experience points in the game—you just learn how to play it better.

Neo Scavenger won’t be for everyone. But if you like it, you’ll love it, and it’s worth rolling the dice when the game’s selling for under $5. The combat system alone is worth it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248860/

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 3, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I also would appreciate a review/answer.

I've played it a bit, but it hasn't really grabbed me.

The theme and feel is fun, it's very 19th century exploring the dark continent style, as you set out on your dapper english ships with your racist/cannibal/sexist friends and explore a continent filled with hostile animals, temples, volcanos, and strange, possibly chthonic horrors, while your sanity is sapped by traveling through a jungle with said rear end in a top hat buddies and a rude donkey carrying chocolate and whiskey to keep you sane.

Which sounds great, but in actual play, ehhhhhhhhhhh. Map is random, companions are random, encounters are random, combat is random.

It is entirely possible I am just bad at vidya game, I'd recommend looking up some vids to see what you think first.

superh posted:

In free-time game-dev news, I did some more environmental work and started blocking in (really, really) placeholder UI. I've also tentatively landed on the title I Will Not Die

http://i.imgur.com/6xuePGQ.gifv

Thanks! I'll be sure to let our music guys know you dig the tunes!

This owns :neckbeard:

And seconding the music praise, I love the Deathstate music a lot. It adds to the chill one-stickplayness of it somehow.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ã…Â, cħ gøài- <Ecl8

drat, that's gorgeous.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I just lost my one of my best attempts at Desecration I by going into a Dark Place portal I mistook for the exit :negative: I was Eye plus I looted the artefact that gave me larger lasers the longer they fired. I was a king! Then I fat fingered my item button and didn't drink my Health+ potion. I do have a few clears under my belt now -- I kind of wish Deathstate didn't suffer the BoI problem where getting too much speed is hugely detrimental, though it's hard to stack it to the point where you're inadvertently running into all the bullets (unless you use that artifact that gives you third eye + a massive burst of speed)

Does anyone know what Dark Damage, Dark Seeking, and Black Eye stats do? I'm guessing maybe Dark Seeking increases dark portals and Dark Damage increases damage you do in a dark zone? And Black Eye...heck if I know. I'm guessing it has something to do with the random incorporeal skeletons I start seeing after I pick them up?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

victrix posted:

I've played it a bit, but it hasn't really grabbed me.

The theme and feel is fun, it's very 19th century exploring the dark continent style, as you set out on your dapper english ships with your racist/cannibal/sexist friends and explore a continent filled with hostile animals, temples, volcanos, and strange, possibly chthonic horrors, while your sanity is sapped by traveling through a jungle with said rear end in a top hat buddies and a rude donkey carrying chocolate and whiskey to keep you sane.

Which sounds great, but in actual play, ehhhhhhhhhhh. Map is random, companions are random, encounters are random, combat is random.

It is entirely possible I am just bad at vidya game, I'd recommend looking up some vids to see what you think first.

Thanks man

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
I gotta try it, and OMG ITS JUST RNG is what everyone says about FTL and I love it because it's just actually super hard. Interested to see if it's truerandom or skillrandom.

Another example is Tharsis: http://store.steampowered.com/app/323060/

All the reviews are like "you just die to rng"; my first game I felt like that, but after fiddling with it for 3 or 4 hours I had it solved so I could essentially win every game. Very fun 3 or 4 hours of system solving.

It's curious, I wonder what the threshold/causes for skill-based play appearing to be pure random to new players are.

Might just start actively seeking out games that are decried for "omg pure rng"; because they seem to be my favorite.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 3, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RoboCicero posted:

I kind of wish Deathstate didn't suffer the BoIGradius problem where getting too much speed is hugely detrimental

Please correctly cite game antecedents :colbert:

(oh god I'm so old)

Unormal posted:

I gotta try it, and OMG ITS JUST RNG is what everyone says about FTL and I love it because it's just actually super hard. Interested to see if it's truerandom or skillrandom.

I'm honestly not sure! I don't think I played it enough to determine one way or another.

I'll say I felt like I had far more control in FTL just because of the way combat worked in that game fwiw :v:

It didn't draw me in nearly as much as FTL did though and I have lots of other games that do soooo...

Unormal posted:

All the reviews are like "you just die to rng"; my first game I felt like that, but after fiddling with it for 3 or 4 hours I had it solved so I could essentially win every game. Very fun 3 or 4 hours of system solving.

It's curious, I wonder what the threshold/causes for skill-based play appearing to be pure random to new players are.

Might just start actively seeking out games that are decried for "omg pure rng"; because they seem to be my favorite.

Depends, how much do you like Magic/Hearthstone/card games/risk management games? :v:

I'm thinking the threshhold is low frankly, given how fast people give up on most roguelike games.

The game needs to look and feel incredibly appealing and give some happyfeelgoods pretty quick to offset the feeling that a capricious RNG god hates them.

(my favorite example of rng hate is probably the Puzzle Quest dev patiently explaining that there was no evil AI-favoritism in the gem drops, but everyone believed the computer cheated because meat-brains are absolutely horrible at understanding randomness and great at spotting patterns + confirmation bias)

victrix fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 3, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Isaac posted:

Edit:

Isaac's Roguelike Ideas:

Pecky Becky's Big Adventure

Goat King of the Mountain

The Search for the Ultimate Shine

Absolut Bucolic

Keep at it and Interested in what you come up with.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

victrix posted:

(my favorite example of rng hate is probably the Puzzle Quest dev patiently explaining that there was no evil AI-favoritism in the gem drops, but everyone believed the computer cheated because meat-brains are absolutely horrible at understanding randomness and great at spotting patterns + confirmation bias)

So a weird thing, though: the Puzzle Quest AI was pretty straightforward in that it would go for a 5-in-a-row over a 4-in-a-row consistently, and a 4-in-a-row over a 3-in-a-row consistently, unless the "lower ranked" one would chain into something as highly-ranked as the other option on the field. However, it would also consistently "know" when gems dropped from above the field would create such a chain, and this was the only time it would violate the aforementioned rule. Having had nothing better to do with my time at that point in my life, I actually made a little project of trying to test for alternative explanations. Ultimately I am quite sure that, at least for Puzzle Quest on DS, the computer player was aware of gems queued up at least one or two rows "above the screen", although I never saw any reason to suspect the actual spawning was rigged in its favor.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Unormal posted:

The enter the gungeon thread is like 50% cheat engine posts because people deride the game for being to rngy while I can win almost every game :negative:

My problem with ftl is that normal is too easy when you know all the tricks and and it requires doing dumb poo poo like diverting power to engines to dodge individual shots to get any consitency in hard. It's a good game, but it could use a real good do-over by the crawl devs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I still keep going back to wanting to make a roguelike. My favorite is DCSS, and I have a cool idea and I want to make in that vein

I will try and fail to get started

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Benly posted:

So a weird thing, though: the Puzzle Quest AI was pretty straightforward in that it would go for a 5-in-a-row over a 4-in-a-row consistently, and a 4-in-a-row over a 3-in-a-row consistently, unless the "lower ranked" one would chain into something as highly-ranked as the other option on the field. However, it would also consistently "know" when gems dropped from above the field would create such a chain, and this was the only time it would violate the aforementioned rule. Having had nothing better to do with my time at that point in my life, I actually made a little project of trying to test for alternative explanations. Ultimately I am quite sure that, at least for Puzzle Quest on DS, the computer player was aware of gems queued up at least one or two rows "above the screen", although I never saw any reason to suspect the actual spawning was rigged in its favor.

quote:

Modjo: Some PQ players are adamant that the AI "cheats" by knowing what pieces will fall from the top of the board. We've found these falls benefit the player as often as the AI, but some owners are insistent. Can you confirm/deny, and possibly walk us through the AI's decision-making process when it examines potential matches?

Steve Fawkner: The AI definitely does NOT cheat. I actually scripted all the AI for the game, so I am 100% certain it doesn't cheat, and as I mentioned in a post on our Forums, I'm far too lazy to make the it cheat anyway - if I'd wanted to make the game harder I would have just given the enemies more Life Points!

The AI has a very simple decision-making process... it looks around the board at all available moves and gives each one a score between 0-100 based only on what it would give immediately (it doesn't look ahead at all). It then looks at all its available spells and gives each one a score between 0-100 based on how useful they would be. Finally it picks the move with the best score. On "Hard" difficulty it always picks the best one, On "Normal" it picks one of the top 10%, and on "Easy" it picks one of the top 50%.

One interesting thing the AI does is to bias its scores slightly higher towards the bottom of the board, because matching lower down tends to give more possibilities for cascades.

quote:

Gamasutra: I just played a bit of Puzzle Quest 2, and was reminded of the balance of luck versus skill in these games. For example, I got a crazy chain off a random jewel drop, but so could the enemy.

When the player gets that kind of bonus, they feel great. It's awesome. But when it starts to happen too much on the enemy side, they feel like the game is stacked against them -- even if it really is random or luck-based.

Steve Fawkner: And it is indeed random and luck-based. There's no cheating going on in the game. But it wasn't in the first one, or Galactrix either, although it quite often feels that way.

I think one of the challenges as a designer, and something you want to actually try to do, is you want to have the games just frustrating enough the player wants to keep playing it. I feel we actually hit that with Puzzle Quest. People kind of feel cheated, but not cheated so badly they want to ragequit. They feel cheated, and they want to get back at it. If you can get that, you've got a very, very addictive game.

Perception's a bitch man :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Benly posted:

However, it would also consistently "know" when gems dropped from above the field would create such a chain, and this was the only time it would violate the aforementioned rule.

This is exactly what the Puzzle Quest dev was talking about. Unless you can demonstrate that the AI consistently gets more "free"/"random" chains than the player does for an equivalent* play, you're just falling victim to the standard human pattern recognition problem, viz. noticing patterns that aren't there.

* "Equivalent" is hard to define but can roughly be described as "shakes up the board by the same amount". Introducing new gems into the deeper layers of the board matters at least as much as sheer number of gems cleared.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is exactly what the Puzzle Quest dev was talking about. Unless you can demonstrate that the AI consistently gets more "free"/"random" chains than the player does for an equivalent* play, you're just falling victim to the standard human pattern recognition problem, viz. noticing patterns that aren't there.

* "Equivalent" is hard to define but can roughly be described as "shakes up the board by the same amount". Introducing new gems into the deeper layers of the board matters at least as much as sheer number of gems cleared.

I will say the inverse of this is really lovely - when there is a problem with an RNG element, it can be a loving pain to identify it, and if it is even there, to convince devs that it's actually a problem. Or just the relationships between bugs and expected game behavior.

There are very very good reasons not to expose all systems to players, but at the same time, obfuscated systems that have regular interaction with the player can cause some really obnoxious behavior that can be much harder to identify if players don't know how the system works in the first place without extremely careful/tedious testing.

There was a pretty funny story about aggro tables in Asheron's Call being affected by an invisible id# that was assigned to your character on creation, and some players would get a ton of aggro, others would not: http://asheron.wikia.com/wiki/Wi_Flag

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

One fun example of that was in Enter The Gungeon, actually. There was a bug for a long time where if you killed the last enemy in the room with your (generally crappy) starting weapon, you removed most of the chance for an ammo crate to drop. So the more careful you were to conserve ammo for your real guns, the less ammo you actually got and the more your belief in the importance of ammo conservation was reinforced. Half the player base was screaming about the lack of ammo forcing them to do the first three floors with nothing but the starting gun, and the other half was denying there was any problem because their ammo drops were genuinely fine.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys, we're getting closer and closer to that covetted "Is a game" thing. Look at what I've got so far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTiQs-7-LKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Isaac's Roguelike Ideas:

Pecky Becky's Big Adventure

Goat King of the Mountain

The Search for the Ultimate Shine

Absolut Bucolic

Keep at it and Interested in what you come up with.

Chicken farming Kings of dragon pass is litterally what my goal is once i learn a whole lot more