Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

Permanently missable I mean. There's one in the foresty area in Through Time and Space and you miss out on one if you side with Hjalmar in King's Gambit.

Ah, understood. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over a couple misses though, the game allows for so many op builds as it is that a tiny handful of ability points won't make or break a god-tier build.

Also the one in Kings Gambit, even if you make the right choice, is only accessable during the hectic escape scene. If you miss it for whatever reason, like I did, there's no way back to it. The pantry kitchen is locked with no key and the storage entrance near the blacksmith is sealed. I looked everywhere for that drat pantry key, stopped just short of trying to murder Cerys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Modding question: When you use the script merger, do you need to replace the files it creates, or is that handled automatically?

I'm trying to get Auto Apply Oils to work to no success, as well as these two mods:

More Blood
Ultra Gore 2

But so far I'm not seeing any change when I run the merger.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Staltran posted:

Too tired to figure out if you can actually get all spies on your side though

Can't think of this playing out without cooperation between players, though that's true for most of these hands. Closest I can get to is 5 vs Nilf, with them using scorch to destroy one of your round 2 spies and then resurrecting 4 and using Emyr's Play From Discard to get your last one.

I forgot about faction abilities and I don't think I'm accounting for the free card draw NR gets when they win a round. I also did some math on Skellige (to a 489 points hand), but also forgot you could stall to third round with only spies on discard and guarantee they get played.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Nice gwent playing folks. I forgot about the northern realms free card as well and did the math wrong somehow.

I'd also totally forgotten about the gaunter cards, that makes things interesting. I've never used those or the cow card

Skellige hitting that high seems insane, I didn't like that deck at all

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 2, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MikeC posted:

Blood and Wine ending discussion

Did anyone else hate the Duchess more and more as the game went on? I mean sure, she is your loving sister but she is also the cause of this entire bloody mess. I got the "sad" ending but I was actually pretty ok with the bitch biting it

I sure did. At the start she seems cool because she is assertive, but as the game progresses you see that she is just stubborn and doesn't really listen to anyone else. Better hope that your interests align with hers or she will crack down on you hard. However I don't think she deserved to die like Syanna or Detlaff.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Y'all are just jealous of my raincoat.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Decked out in a full set of Griffon Gear :dance:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, it's 4th of July weekend, everyone is setting off fireworks, and one of my dogs is terrified of them, so I'm staying up with him. I just finished my NG+ main game, dug into the DLC just a bit... And decided to start a new game from the beginning. I already have 230 hours in the game. Do,do I have a problem?

Also, honest opinions here, I love this game, will I like Witcher 2? I downloaded it when it was free on Xbox One, but I've not touched it. Would I be better off replaying 3 and just reading up on 2?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

More things shifting through other things:

(A mouse!)

Hit this guy so hard he pushed another guy through a wall:

"Whenches"

Also, shiny magic hat:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Xander77 you seem to have an absurd amount of graphics/engine bugs for some reason, you might wanna contact CDPR support or reinstall your game at some point?

I ran into some of that on my first playthrough after release but they've fixed things up a lot since then, I'm 50 hours into my second (and a half) playthrough and haven't run into anything weird at all.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pellisworth posted:

Xander77 you seem to have an absurd amount of graphics/engine bugs for some reason, you might wanna contact CDPR support or reinstall your game at some point?
Uh, maybe? I verified my game cache at one point, and the game has been installed one week ago. Haven't even shown off Roche going down steep slopes on just his two front feet.

Meanwhile, I've just arrived in Skellige, and I'm level 21, having completed just about everything in Vellen that wasn't level 30+. I wonder how anyone get there at the recommended level 16+ if they don't explore the entire map.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:confused: Everything seems normal here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xander77 posted:

Haven't even shown off Roche going down steep slopes on just his two front feet.

That one isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

That one isn't a bug, it's a feature.
Well, Roche is a biped. :v:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Konsek posted:

Not sure what happened here. Pretty sure 700 of those hours is Gwent.

Yeah mines like this, altho at 682. I think it bugged out back in the first bunch of patches, not really sure. It's probably half that. I started the two dlcs at 620 so whatever was happening has stopped. I run the gog version without galaxy so i can't see for sure.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are dumb questions allowed in this thread?

If I'm really tired of "burly gruff dude" main characters, will I be bothered by Geralt or is he more interesting than comes across in images and videos? I know it's silly, but I figured I could at least ask :shobon:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Your Computer posted:

If I'm really tired of "burly gruff dude" main characters, will I be bothered by Geralt or is he more interesting than comes across in images and videos? I know it's silly, but I figured I could at least ask :shobon:

He doesn't have a lot of range in his voice, but his character is pretty diverse. He gets sad, has a sense of humor, can express love & affection, etc. Since it's an RPG you have a certain range for the character that you have available, I think a lot of people tend to play Geralt as a secret softie with a huge heart (this is the correct way to play him).

Not a dumb question, I'm super sick of those sorts of characters too.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Pellisworth posted:

t all.

I think it's more that most people don't document them in the thread in excruciatingly spergy detail like this dude seems compelled to do :rolleyes:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I just had to install a mod to increase the level cap, because my "always get full EXP even from gray quests" mod made my leveling go super haywire, and I ended up at level 100 on NG+ before the Battle of Kaer Morhen.

And also because my grandmaster witcher armor on NG+ required level 101, which I couldn't get otherwise.

I think I've gone too far with mods in this game.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

10 Beers posted:

So, it's 4th of July weekend, everyone is setting off fireworks, and one of my dogs is terrified of them, so I'm staying up with him. I just finished my NG+ main game, dug into the DLC just a bit... And decided to start a new game from the beginning. I already have 230 hours in the game. Do,do I have a problem?

Also, honest opinions here, I love this game, will I like Witcher 2? I downloaded it when it was free on Xbox One, but I've not touched it. Would I be better off replaying 3 and just reading up on 2?

I loved Witcher 2 but be warned, it does have a bit of a difficulty curve. It's also not open world so you need to keep that in mind.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
For what it's worth, I hear Polish has better Geralt if you dislike Geralt of Rivia, P.I. What aspect of his is better, no idea.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Your Computer posted:

Geralt may start his morning by gargling 5 pounds of gravel, but he's actually a really nice guy in a pretty lovely to live in world.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Lareine posted:

I loved Witcher 2 but be warned, it does have a bit of a difficulty curve. It's also not open world so you need to keep that in mind.

The Witcher 2 doesn't have a difficulty curve as it does a difficulty slide. You'll find it hellishly difficult in chapter 1 and a sunny day afterwards. Some of the tricky bosses can be beaten in seconds with a basic Yrden spell. Don't touch alchemy unless you like the unskippable animation that occurs every time Geralt takes a sip. Skip crafting for the most part and just use gamefaqs so you can bee-line to the strongest gear in the chapter.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Lareine posted:

W2 is definitely a lot more focused. truth be told, between that and the chapter 2 swing, i think its narratively more interesting, although w3 is still loving miles ahead of almost all the competition

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

He doesn't have a lot of range in his voice, but his character is pretty diverse. He gets sad, has a sense of humor, can express love & affection, etc. Since it's an RPG you have a certain range for the character that you have available, I think a lot of people tend to play Geralt as a secret softie with a huge heart (this is the correct way to play him).

while you're kicking around - i dunno if you're allowed to disclose this, but how many hours of voice acting does w3 have? Im not thinking in a playthrough but more of an estimate of all the lines in a string looks like 50 hours

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 2, 2016

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

GuyUpNorth posted:

For what it's worth, I hear Polish has better Geralt if you dislike Geralt of Rivia, P.I. What aspect of his is better, no idea.

imo this is only really true for the first game, and it goes for almost every character in that game, really (i.e. the game is best played in Polish with subtitles). From W2 the English VA is superb in the role, and in W3 I can't think of a single character with a bad VA.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear :3:

I love RPGs and have heard so many good things about this game, but I was a bit hesitant because the player character is so important for immersion to me and on the surface he's... not a character I'd pick if I had a choice. Considering the praise the game has gotten, I expected he was probably more interesting than the images convey but I figured I'd ask before buying.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear :3:

I love RPGs and have heard so many good things about this game, but I was a bit hesitant because the player character is so important for immersion to me and on the surface he's... not a character I'd pick if I had a choice. Considering the praise the game has gotten, I expected he was probably more interesting than the images convey but I figured I'd ask before buying.

Incidentally, Geralt is pretty much the type of guy I usually play even when I get to create my own character. Tough, sarcastic, intelligent, but with a heart of gold.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Azazell0 posted:

Incidentally, Geralt is pretty much the type of guy I usually play even when I get to create my own character. Tough, sarcastic, intelligent, but with a heart of gold.

Same, but with a black chick given the option.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
does the ending of the main game have any effect on either expansion?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I, too, only will play CCG-addicted pun-abusers with special needs mounts in my RPGs.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Speaking of gravely protagonists, people keep referring to the ritual of the grass killing all of a witcher's emotions, but every witcher we meet definitely feels stuff- is that just a peasant superstition?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of gravely protagonists, people keep referring to the ritual of the grass killing all of a witcher's emotions, but every witcher we meet definitely feels stuff- is that just a peasant superstition?

Yes, almost everything Witchers say is just perpetuating a myth that makes them seem mysterious. See: the Witcher code, which is made up on the spot depending on what they feel like doing at the time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:gonk:

Ham Bro are you sure this isn't a hardware problem? W2 revealed hardware defects in my graphics card a pc back by pushing it to the limit. Happily it was still under warranty and replaced free of charge.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Jerry and Bert talk about this at one point and it seems the witchers we see are the lucky ones. The unlucky ones don't last as long.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

?

quote:

are you sure this isn't a hardware problem? W2 revealed hardware defects in my graphics card a pc back by pushing it to the limit. Happily it was still under warranty and replaced free of charge.
Might be, but there's basically no way to find out, due to complicated reasons.

Meanwhile:

Idyllic village scenes after Vess defends it from an attack:

"Ow" sounds about right.

Put on the clothes Yen left for me at Skellige, and she still scolded me for showing up with the wrong clothes. Maybe because I left my gloves / swords on?

Finally found time to look at all the bestiary entries. The bestiary claims that Succubi are immune to Igni, which I’m pretty sure is factually wrong.

I’m really getting tired of Geralt going “haw, peasant superstitions about monsters” all over the place.

I basically never parry / counter-attack, preferring to dodge around and backstab things. Am I missing something necessary?

I have no idea why the Nilf history, Conjunction of Spheres and White Frost books are so rare and hidden away, compared to the million copies of “Sword against Witchers” etc. Would really help new players figure out the backstory, I think.

When breaking into Ermine’s lab, there’s only one entrance to the place he keeps the mask – from which an Earth Elemental is REALLY goddamned clearly visible, right before a cutscene in which Geralt and Yen stroll up to the mask and are surprised by said elemental. Terrible scene blocking. Just move the elemental into an alcove or something.

The thing about the recycled faces is – why is it so hard to at least shift a few features here and there? The soothsayer you meet at the Skellige wake has the basic Pellar model, but with a few changes (not enough, but still) to render him distinctive. Meanwhile, the prince has pretty much the default “goober” face, complete with the pimple on the forehead.

Does Wolven Hour (the “reduce required level by 2” potion) allow you to keep the items once it wears off?

Hah – having Geralt jump into something past some water , his dive turns into a roll midway. Amazing.

The inability to shift your viewpoint up or down gets really annoying when checking out amazing views. Like I’m passing under the bridge that connects that two parts of the starting Skillege island together, might cliffs on both sides, trying to have a look – nada.

Also, how do I get to the northern part of those two islands? I don’t mean the palace, I mean the parts outside it. Steep cliffs everywhere I look.

I wish I could leave my own notes on the map, in proper RPG style. Since monster lairs don’t actually change their color to show that they are completed, so the ones that are too difficult to complete at the moment aren’t differentiated from the rest in any way. Wonder why either of those particular decisions was made.

This game gets really pretty at times:

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 2, 2016

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Just wanna say this game is awesome. I'm quite impressed by the writing, every plot and mission has a few twist which makes it truly interesting

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
You are able to put markers on the map, on PS4 at least. No text but just pick one marker type for "all done" and you're good to go.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Xander77 posted:

I wish I could leave my own notes on the map, in proper RPG style. Since monster lairs don’t actually change their color to show that they are completed, so the ones that are too difficult to complete at the moment aren’t differentiated from the rest in any way. Wonder why either of those particular decisions was made.

You can as of the last update leave a few different icons on the map for your own reference, and monster lairs do change to grey once you've cleared them and taken any treasure lying about there. In fact I think the treasure might be the switch as I managed to loot one without killing the thing and pretty sure itn greyed out afterwards.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Shannow posted:

You can as of the last update leave a few different icons on the map for your own reference, and monster lairs do change to grey once you've cleared them and taken any treasure lying about there. In fact I think the treasure might be the switch as I managed to loot one without killing the thing and pretty sure itn greyed out afterwards.
"Monster dens" with a name of some sort do. Generic "entrance" don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Oh god Bart. :gonk: What do I have to do to make you happy again?