Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I've played a bunch of ranked thus far with friends and it's an excellent experience in a full stack. Games are intense but not exhausting, and there's minimal rage compared to other competitive team games.

Good job Blizzard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm sort of in a weird spot where competitive games leave me going "hoooo why is it so hot in this room oh wait it's not I'm literally pouring sweat because of trying so hard to be good at a video game" (Dota also does this), whereas Quick Play is legitimate no-sweat fun but everyone is a lunatic who is so anti-tryhard that I can get five gold medals.

Basically they never should have split the playerbase like this.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 2, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Craptacular! posted:

I'm sort of in a weird spot where competitive games leave me going "hoooo why is it so hot in this room oh wait it's not I'm literally pouring sweat because of trying so hard to be good at a video game" (Dota also does this), whereas Quick Play is legitimate no-sweat fun but everyone is a lunatic who is so anti-tryhard that I can get five gold medals.

Basically they never should have split the playerbase like this.

Dota sucks. MOBAs suck.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Verranicus posted:

Dota sucks. MOBAs suck.

this game is a lovely moba sooooo

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

verbal enema posted:

this game is a lovely moba sooooo

YOU'RE A lovely MOBA

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mierenneuker posted:

I find myself wishing there was a character select tip that said "too many flankers" if we already have a Genji, Tracer or Reaper and another player hovers over them. It's the same problem with double snipers, people don't understand that they become more effective if there's other people distracting the enemy team.

You have two problems with this:

1) Expecting people to know what a "flanker" is, especially since most people play this game as 6v6 at the choke point.

2) You picked half of the offense heroes. You expect only one of those three on an attack team at any time? In addition, you picked three of the most aesthetically cool looking characters (box art butt girl and two edgy Kylo Ren looking motherfuckers.) There's going to be 2/3 at any moment just on being awesome alone.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I just won a solo queue competitive match 4 to 0 and lost rank, from 46 to 45. Is that normal? Am I that bad?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

pzy posted:

I just won a solo queue competitive match 4 to 0 and lost rank, from 46 to 45. Is that normal? Am I that bad?

Were all your 'allies' shooting you?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It would be easier to know what a flanker is it was a category itself :v:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

pzy posted:

This has been reported on the official forums too, don't think Blizz has commented yet.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

pzy posted:

Did you disconnect at some point? I've heard that counts as a loss, even if you get back in and win

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013
As annoying as the chokepoint at the gate on Hanamura A is, I never really argued for them to add in flanking routes because the time would be better spent on new characters/maps/whatever. But then I accidentally noticed that there IS another flank route, or at least it may have been one in the past: the walls to the right of the main gate (from the attackers' point of view, to the right of the white van) are low enough to be jumped/climbed/flown over and lead into 1) the building with the health pack and 2) the courtyard between A and B.

...Except you can't actually do it, because they added an invisible wall there. :(

Usually they control player movement by making buildings too tall to be flown over or making the rooftops slick so you can't stand on them, leaving any platform you can reach under your own power as fair game. The invisible walls make it seem like moving through there was allowed at some point during development, but I guess they changed their minds? Re-adding that flank route would be as simple as removing the walls so I wonder what the big deal is.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Nihilarian posted:

Did you disconnect at some point? I've heard that counts as a loss, even if you get back in and win

gently caress, when the game first started my screen was entirely black except for the chat interface, I alt-f4'd and reconnected successfully. We won and I still got dicked? Good times.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Competitive sucks.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I wonder what impact losing the first 6 of my placement matches had on my rank. Like did it initially use my hidden quick play rank as a starting point but that was way too high so I started against better people or was I just unlucky and I was always around a 41?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Verranicus posted:

No, but see, the top 5% will have to wait longer for matches and Blizz desperately wants this to be an esport so

the problem was that said Top 5% was being matched waaaay below their bracket because everyone else was voiding them

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nihilarian posted:

It would be easier to know what a flanker is it was a category itself :v:

people who're next to you when you're Reinhardt and you think "scat cat go do cat stuff and come back when you're done"

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

PassingPie posted:

As annoying as the chokepoint at the gate on Hanamura A is, I never really argued for them to add in flanking routes because the time would be better spent on new characters/maps/whatever. But then I accidentally noticed that there IS another flank route, or at least it may have been one in the past: the walls to the right of the main gate (from the attackers' point of view, to the right of the white van) are low enough to be jumped/climbed/flown over and lead into 1) the building with the health pack and 2) the courtyard between A and B.

...Except you can't actually do it, because they added an invisible wall there. :(

Usually they control player movement by making buildings too tall to be flown over or making the rooftops slick so you can't stand on them, leaving any platform you can reach under your own power as fair game. The invisible walls make it seem like moving through there was allowed at some point during development, but I guess they changed their minds? Re-adding that flank route would be as simple as removing the walls so I wonder what the big deal is.

My favorite way to capture the Hanamura A Gate is to play Reinhardt and charge all the way through the gate, across the courtyard and into the point. It works best against teams that flank the gate but leave the point itself empty, so you force them to break their line and come deal with you as you run around in there.

It's a real shame the PoTG algorithm could never be programmed to detect that kind of thing. Plays like that have been some of my best moments.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Played my first competitive game and we got absolutely wrecked. Feelsbad. If this continues I might just stick with quick play lol.

Grammaton fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 2, 2016

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

I wonder what impact losing the first 6 of my placement matches had on my rank. Like did it initially use my hidden quick play rank as a starting point but that was way too high so I started against better people or was I just unlucky and I was always around a 41?

Pretty sure it's entirely random. My first placement game was a serious case of "none of these people know which end of the gun the bullets come out of."

I didn't realise just how bad they were until I made a quad kill on the final cap... as Mercy. I legitimately felt bad for them after that. :ohdear:

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I got placed at 39, I totally accept that I'm dumpster tier and deserve to be at this rank. That being said, how do I improve my ability to impact the result of the game? I get gold medals so I know that's not it, I try to communicate but mostly get ignored. Should I just try to get really good at Lucio, and tanks?

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Verranicus posted:

Competitive sucks.

It does indeed suck, in that I keep losing when I play that mode.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Do I get rewards for doing the ten placement matches? Because that's literally the only reason I did them.

Comp is garbage. Had one round that went on for almost an hour until we lost, and lost a lot more in comp matches than I do in QM because they draw so many of those guys who have 5x+ more time on one hero than any others and are godly at that one hero (which they play against you) and bad with anything else (when they're on your team.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
had some good games tonight in quick play. i'm glad that both comp and quick play exist (though i'm not exactly satisfied with the state of comp atm) because it means i have an avenue for both Going Hard and Going Less Hard in order to practice stuff.

that said ive noticed a HUGE amount of leavers in quick play the past 3-4 days. like, waaaaay more than there were before comp was introduced.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

JackDarko posted:

I got placed at 39, I totally accept that I'm dumpster tier and deserve to be at this rank. That being said, how do I improve my ability to impact the result of the game? I get gold medals so I know that's not it, I try to communicate but mostly get ignored. Should I just try to get really good at Lucio, and tanks?

Lucio and Winston are the easiest characters to learn, imo. Reinhardt looks easy to learn as well, although i haven't played enough of him, but it shouldn't be too much of a learning curve.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Apparently I'm some sort of competitive god, me on the left. Also average 14.3k healing with Lucio over 6 games heh.

(I'm not even ranked yet :ssh: )

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Getting rapidly tired of games being settled by the 2 man that's always 'Pharah with permanently attached Mercy'. It's actually good gameplay, as they're rewarding coordination, but it's making comp outside of my group annoying to the point of not wanting to do it. Cuts both ways too, duo queue as it and you can just settle the whole tempo of a game. Well, minus one of the savant Widowmakers, but even they only get one shot before the amped missiles start coming in.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Well that's fun. Game completely kicked me out to a login screen halfway through a competitive match and wouldn't let me back into the game even though I reconnected in the 1 minute window, leaving 5 goons to try and win a man down :suicide:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

JackDarko posted:

Gold medals do mean that you're doing well relative to your teammates, but not necessarily that you're actually having an impact on the match. A Soldier who's dashing back to the fight every time and pumping entire clips into Reinhardt's shield* is going to have plenty of medals, but not necessarily swinging the match's flow.

The most immediate-impact thing you can do is going "What is my team missing? Can I switch to fill that role without causing my team to miss another significant role?" The second is "Am I being effective with this hero? Are they actively shutting me out? Can I switch to another hero and have a greater impact, or at least force the enemy to adjust?" Can you get the enemy to adjust in such a way that it gives the rest of your team an opening to crack them like a watermelon? Alternatively, is the enemy selling out on shutting down your team's composition and can you pick a hero that will chew up half their team without any recourse on their part?

After that it gets muddier. What routes are the enemy consistently taking? Can you cover these routes? What is your team having particular trouble with? Do you know, or can you guess, where everyone on the enemy team is, even if you can't see them? You might have your ultimate, but do you *need* to use it right now when your teammates are actively finishing off the remnants of the enemy push? Stuff like that. Be thinking about the gamestate and the flow of it, and how you can best push it forward or disrupt it at any given time. After long enough actively thinking about this, it'll start coming second nature to you and it won't require as much effort for you.

I actually wouldn't recommend generalist heroes like Soldier or Lúcio. They're great heroes. They can go into practically any composition and can perform well on an individual basis. But in my experience the generalists are very team-reliant. They amplify the rest of their team and cover for their weaknesses. If you're decent with these heroes, over time you'll notice you're winning more games than otherwise simply through the sheer power of Being Slightly Better. But their actual agency for flipping the tables in a match is a lot lower than a hero like Reaper or Reinhardt who can repeatedly shut down their healer or drop a team-wide stun.

*: I don't mean to disparage doing this. Please please please make concerted efforts to destroy Reinhardt's shield. I just mean to point out that someone racking up loads of free damage on the shields isn't necessarily getting that damage from killing heroes. A Genji who's sneaking around looking for people to pick off is going to have relatively low damage done compared to the Soldier's who's hanging back and nonstop spraying everything he can see, but the Genji can have a greater impact on the match.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Everyone getting demolished by Roadhog yet again made me realize that the concept of ELO is poo poo in this game compared to a moba or whatever. Nobody's power ever increases over the duration of the game, rather it just comes in peaks and valleys, meaning that some guy is going to be a god schooling everyone, he's going to be like that starting from the very get go and likely be that way all the way to the end. If someone's skills relative to their enemies can tip over the game balance cart so hard that countering doesn't work, that's pretty much it.

I've had it too; the same team that we couldn't move off Kings Row A couldn't take our Kings Row B because somehow I was playing Tracer out of my mind and got 18 kills without a death.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Craptacular! posted:

Everyone getting demolished by Roadhog yet again made me realize that the concept of ELO is poo poo in this game compared to a moba or whatever. Nobody's power ever increases over the duration of the game, rather it just comes in peaks and valleys, meaning that some guy is going to be a god schooling everyone, he's going to be like that starting from the very get go and likely be that way all the way to the end.

I don't understand how this makes Elo poo poo. If anything that makes it more consistent, more in line with how it works for games like Chess.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Perhaps I should be more clear: it makes wanking/despairing over your skill number less satisfying/worrying.

EDIT: Don't take this too seriously; this is just me being salty about playing really well on defense, like game career good, and yet still losing.

Edit 2: if you still don't get it, consider it like this: you're rank 48, but play Hero X like you're rank 60. There's considerable drop off on everything else, which accounts for your lower rating. If you pick Hero X, you're disrupting the skill balance. The point is that other games use power curves to keep any hero from overwhelming the entire game. OW gives everyone the same kit all match long with occasional ult peaks.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 2, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Macaluso posted:

No but like for real, please patch in the option to turn off the ranking bar after each match Blizzard. It's the most useless screen in the game.

Also please bring avoid player back, I don't care if it messes up matchmaking, I don't want to play with instalock Hanzos who contribute nothing

Get good and it'll stop teaming you with them, or get bad and it'll start putting them on the enemy team

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010
Some guy added me to tell me how bad I was at playing reaper. I agreed because it was pretty much true, and in response he became angrier. After some insults about how bad I am at video games, he then told me that "he was going to stop wasting his semen on me" and unfriended me.

Joke's on him, after me he'll never find a reaper bad enough to jack off to again.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Countblanc posted:

had some good games tonight in quick play. i'm glad that both comp and quick play exist (though i'm not exactly satisfied with the state of comp atm) because it means i have an avenue for both Going Hard and Going Less Hard in order to practice stuff.

that said ive noticed a HUGE amount of leavers in quick play the past 3-4 days. like, waaaaay more than there were before comp was introduced.

Maybe being unable to leave lovely comp matches has lowered their tolerance for sticking around.

I had a comp match today, defend Dorado. I lock in Symmetra first, next two people lock in Pharah and Reaper. Okay, looks good so far, just need a healer, tank, and either another tank or frontline DPS, right? Next two players lock in Bastion and Hanzo and I knew immediately we were getting steamrolled. Both the Bastion and Hanzo even had the dedication to stick with their two worthless picks until the very end (of that very short round). loving hell.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lemonpieman posted:

Some guy added me to tell me how bad I was at playing reaper. I agreed because it was pretty much true, and in response he became angrier. After some insults about how bad I am at video games, he then told me that "he was going to stop wasting his semen on me" and unfriended me.

Joke's on him, after me he'll never find a reaper bad enough to jack off to again.

Some people are just sharks and showing that you are bleeding will drive them insane. I had a game where I said sorry to our Hanzo for whiffing my Zarya ult and he was fine with it, probably because he knew we had several great ult combos before (he was great at following it up). Then we gradually start losing and another guy starts complaining about bad ultimates.

Just a typical case of people looking for a scapegoat instead of doing some inner reflection and focusing on self improvement.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mierenneuker posted:

Some people are just sharks and showing that you are bleeding will drive them insane. I had a game where I said sorry to our Hanzo for whiffing my Zarya ult and he was fine with it, probably because he knew we had several great ult combos before (he was great at following it up). Then we gradually start losing and another guy starts complaining about bad ultimates.

Just a typical case of people looking for a scapegoat instead of doing some self reflection.

i had a quickplay earlier where my team won Volskya in less than two minutes, and then our soldier went Genji on defense and this dude starts complaining about having a genji on defense. like, cmon dude, we just loving annihilated the other team AND its quickplay

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I'm sad that reaper's teleport effect is purple now. I know it's still red to the enemy team, but it's harder to get into high functioning psychopath mode when the signal of impending shotgunny doom is purple to me. Even if it was blue, that'd be decent. I would still miss my red teleports though.

And seriously, having all reaper teleports red is a public service! This way I can keep my teammates on their toes!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I love Pharah but god drat this game loves embarrassing me when it decides the best end of game award to stick out is my 81 direct rockets with a "whopping" 23% direct-hit rate and not the four golds or whatever :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Papercut posted:

Maybe being unable to leave lovely comp matches has lowered their tolerance for sticking around.

I had a comp match today, defend Dorado. I lock in Symmetra first, next two people lock in Pharah and Reaper. Okay, looks good so far, just need a healer, tank, and either another tank or frontline DPS, right? Next two players lock in Bastion and Hanzo and I knew immediately we were getting steamrolled. Both the Bastion and Hanzo even had the dedication to stick with their two worthless picks until the very end (of that very short round). loving hell.

Yeah people seem more determined to get players they're stuck with good. My biggest mistake so far in competitive has been switching characters to counter something that the team is too uncoordinated to do. I was rightly called out over it, but in a very chill constructive fashion. My best play in competitive seems to have been clearing a point and dying. By the time my Rein got back into the game, we were on second objective and by the time I got near it the game was won. I think my ult is spectator mode in some matches.