Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Vargatron posted:

Just bring back decoder rings.

"Go to this URL and download the manual. What is the third word on the 24th page?" doesn't work very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The frustrating thing about this is that a few years ago I was looking for a list of all the CDs with these on it since and I never found a complete list. I was linked to various sites, even official ones, but I'd always find some sites had what was considered a 'full list', but other sites had a few missing CDs and a few different ones.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What's with all the 'W's being italic?

Not all of Susan Kare's ideas were homeruns.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I remember I downloaded my first SNES emulator in 1999. One of the first games I got was Zelda: A Link to the Past. The first time I played it the rain in the first part of the game was weird - it was only in the black bounding boxes for some other game objects. Same thing with the mist in the forest before you got the Master Sword and a few other parts of the game. I didn't know how it was supposed to look until I played it again several years later on better emulators, but just being able to play those games without needing an actual SNES was fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynjERjWIOmY&list=PL2V5vyJ-xzGV9P8G-ekciw6TGmqQBgoa-

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

holy poo poo. I remember playing FFIII on zsnes with that weird wailing sound during the intro. What a weird thing I'd never think about having nostalgia for.. But here it is.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

TheMostFrench posted:

My dad has been a pharmacy owner for over 40 years, and he was notorious for hoarding every bit of equipment he used.

This is the CRT monitor for the till, the image of the point of sale program is burned into it. In the background, on top of the black workstation is a dot matrix printer and ps/2 keyboard.

Not computer related, but the stickers on there have prescription prices, starting from $4.00 for concession holders, who pay over $6.00 now, I think. The prices usually went up about 10-30 cents each year.

Pharmacies are loving terrible when it comes to computer equipment and software. Hospitals too.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

SNES9x is kind of nice but the fucker hijacks a ton of your file associations, including .IMG and .BIN, thinking they're all SNES ROMs. As far as I know there's no way to stop it. I just use Higan now.

Can't you just edit the registry to fix up the associations or does it change them every time it starts?

Anyway I guess probably nobody cares anymore anyway :v:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Last Chance posted:

holy poo poo. I remember playing FFIII on zsnes with that weird wailing sound during the intro. What a weird thing I'd never think about having nostalgia for.. But here it is.

They programmed a TON of pitch sliding into the instruments on that soundtrack. Early emulation couldn't do it properly.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In addition to chip emulation, transparency layers and music pitch sliding, I also remember proper Mode7 implementation being a huge deal. I also remember when they got Star Ocean and Tales pf Phantasia working, but I can't remember why it was such a big deal. Something to do with the size of the roms maybe?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

drunk asian neighbor posted:

In addition to chip emulation, transparency layers and music pitch sliding, I also remember proper Mode7 implementation being a huge deal. I also remember when they got Star Ocean and Tales pf Phantasia working, but I can't remember why it was such a big deal. Something to do with the size of the roms maybe?

Not sure about ToP, but IIRC Star Ocean had graphics compressed with an algorithm that took a while to crack.

For years, another SNES game called Far East of Eden Zero needed an external texture pack that was like 200MB in size because emulators couldn't decompress them on the fly.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Not sure about ToP, but IIRC Star Ocean had graphics compressed with an algorithm that took a while to crack.

For years, another SNES game called Far East of Eden Zero needed an external texture pack that was like 200MB in size because emulators couldn't decompress them on the fly.

Yeah, I think you're right. ToP was probably something to do with the voice acting, which was actually pretty solid considering that poo poo was almost unheard of on SNES.

IIRC the modders who translated that ROM went so far as to record English dialogue, which was loving impressive as hell. I really hope some of those amateur ROM translators got industry jobs because of it, because a lot of times they really did work that would have been indistinguishable from an official localization.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Yeah, I think you're right. ToP was probably something to do with the voice acting, which was actually pretty solid considering that poo poo was almost unheard of on SNES.

IIRC the modders who translated that ROM went so far as to record English dialogue, which was loving impressive as hell. I really hope some of those amateur ROM translators got industry jobs because of it, because a lot of times they really did work that would have been indistinguishable from an official localization.

The ToP voice acting and theme song were kept in Japanese. I believe the translators of the PlayStation version dubbed it, though. Star Ocean was the one with the opening captain's monologue dubbed in English.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hm, I could have sworn I played it on an emulator with English voices. An English-dubbed SNES rom definitely exists, but it may have been adapted from the PSX dub. I'll have to look into it.

Regardless, game loving owns and the translation was excellent. DeJap was a good enough translation team that I still remember their name. ToP, Star Ocean, Bahamut Lagoon, Kirby's Dreamland 3, and I think they were actually the ones that got that Far East of Eden rom working.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

This isn't as exciting as emulation chat but:

Microsoft KB833404: Description of the Bookshelf Symbol 7 Font Removal Tool in Office 2003

quote:

This tool removes the Bssym7.ttf font that is included in Microsoft Office 2003. This font has been found to contain unacceptable symbols.

:dong: ? No:

http://dready.org/blog/2004/02/12/ms-bookshelf-symbol-7-update/ posted:

3 symbols have been removed – 2 Swastika’s and a six-pointed star.

The funny thing is this very long article which isn't that interesting says Unicode does define some swastika characters but there were some efforts to hide them, e.g. if we put them in with all the other Chinese characters and don't actually use the word "swastika" hopefully nobody will find them! These are some of them:

quote:

U+534D CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH-534D 卍 (left-facing or anticlockwise swastika)
U+5350 CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH-5350 卐 (right-facing or clockwise swastika)

I don't know if since the Office 2003 days, Microsoft has changed their ideas - that might have been pre-Unicode? :shrug: Does anyone not actually see the swastika characters in the quote above? They work fine for me on Linux.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I see them fine. Windows 7 Home Premium here.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
gently caress am I supposed to do now, draw my swastikas by hand?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░▄▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░▄▀░▄▀░▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░▄▀░▄▀░▄▀░░░▀▄░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░█▀▄░░░░▀█░▄▀░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░
░░░▄▀▄░▀▄░▀▄░░░░▀░░░░▄█▄░░░░▀▄░░░
░▄▀░░░▀▄░▀▄░▀▄░░░░░▄▀░█░▀▄░░░░▀▄░
░█▀▄░░░░▀▄░█▀░░░░░░░▀█░▀▄░▀▄░▄▀█░
░▀▄░▀▄░░░░▀░░░░▄█▄░░░░▀▄░▀▄░█░▄▀░
░░░▀▄░▀▄░░░░░▄▀░█░▀▄░░░░▀▄░▀█▀░░░
░░░░░▀▄░▀▄░▄▀░▄▀░█▀░░░░▄▀█░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀▄░█░▄▀░▄▀░░░░▄▀░▄▀░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀█▀░▄▀░░░░▄▀░▄▀░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▀▄░▄▀░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░█░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

my first one was the VOODOO2 and whats funny about even early video cards is the marketing was actually less cheesy in 1997 than it is today

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

extra stout posted:

my first one was the VOODOO2 and whats funny about even early video cards is the marketing was actually less cheesy in 1997 than it is today

Marketing for high end consumer (gaming) computer hardware has been an amazing race to the bottom. Although we may have hit bottom and are coming back into sanity after everyone got done putting ridiculously proportioned semi-nude CGI girls on their boxes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Buttcoin purse posted:

This isn't as exciting as emulation chat but:

Microsoft KB833404: Description of the Bookshelf Symbol 7 Font Removal Tool in Office 2003

:dong: ? No:

The funny thing is this very long article which isn't that interesting says Unicode does define some swastika characters but there were some efforts to hide them, e.g. if we put them in with all the other Chinese characters and don't actually use the word "swastika" hopefully nobody will find them! These are some of them:

I don't know if since the Office 2003 days, Microsoft has changed their ideas - that might have been pre-Unicode? :shrug: Does anyone not actually see the swastika characters in the quote above? They work fine for me on Linux.

Works fine in Windows 10. Does this mean Swastika emoji are coming soon?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Wasn't there some really odd controversy after 911 that "NYC" in Wingdings has characters that could be construed as related to the 911 attacks or some bizarre nonsense like that?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Original_Z posted:

Wasn't there some really odd controversy after 911 that "NYC" in Wingdings has characters that could be construed as related to the 911 attacks or some bizarre nonsense like that?
This is NYC:

And Q93NY, supposedly one of the flight numbers that didn't actually exist:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Mak0rz posted:

The "is that what you want?" makes it sound like subtle emotional abuse.

Is that an ELO reference from the song "2095"?

"Although her memory banks overflow
No one would ever know
For all she says: "Is that what you want?"
Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace
And kiss her interface
'Til then, I'll leave her alone."

http://youtu.be/wtfjzmYZvTw

Three-Phase has a new favorite as of 11:53 on Jul 2, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The mid 90s were a magical time for the internet, I think we can all agree. Although it is almost certainly childhood nostalgia speaking, I kind of miss it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It was basically the wild west. Just like the real one, it was kind of lovely, objectively, but on the other hand everything was new and exciting as everyone was discovering stuff at the same time. Now everything is trivial to find thanks to google so there's no sense of satisfaction from finding something interesting, and all the sites are the same boring web2.0 reactive bullshit anyway.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the 90's were a great time to be online. the pioneer days ... oh how i long for them :allears:

~what a time to be online~

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

thathonkey posted:

the 90's were a great time to be online. the pioneer days ... oh how i long for them :allears:

~what a time to be online~

At least until you got kicked off because someone needed to use the phone. :v:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
There was always one dick that bragged about having a dedicated phone line. :argh:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The parts like mom picking up the phone after you're an hour into your AoE game and having to take turns on the computer instead of everyone having their own etc sucked, but I definitely miss a lot of things about it. Mostly with games - the communities were comparably to today very tiny and more relaxed. I look back fondly on the near 25,000 hours I spent through middle and highschool on a MUD even though it's god-awful when I try to play it today. I don't know what I saw in it back then but it was fun at the time.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Remember completely arbitrary application menus like File, Edit, Properties, Tools and Window, with seemingly random items each? What is the difference between a tool and an edit? If I change a property, am I not making an edit? To a file? With a tool?

People poo poo on MS Office 2007+ because they like to be different, but holy poo poo ribbons with functions grouped into categories that actually relate to the application made life so much easier.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

http://www.udic.org/

(There's a fairly active Facebook group but, as with all internet communities, it has a lot of liberals.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Germstore posted:

There was always one dick that bragged about having a dedicated phone line. :argh:

We had two phone lines :smugdog:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I was one of the five people who had an ISDN line, that also meant 2 phonelines automatically. You could also "bundle" them for blazingly fast ~14 kb/s. This was a time with no flat rates so this also would cost double.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Germstore posted:

you're lookin at him :c00lbert:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
actually i got teased pretty badly one of the first times i remember getting online was when my dad got an ISDN line installed at the house courtesy of his work so he could telecommute or whatever. i was downloading star wars 3d renderings and poo poo n seconds. then he lost that job and we had to go back to the peasantry of 14.4k dialup :cry:

other people could connect at closer to 56k but our neighborhood had ancient and lovely phone lines or something and 28.8 was the best speed we ever got for years until broadband cable internet became available in like 1999 or 2000 maybe.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Fabulousity posted:

Marketing for high end consumer (gaming) computer hardware has been an amazing race to the bottom. Although we may have hit bottom and are coming back into sanity after everyone got done putting ridiculously proportioned semi-nude CGI girls on their boxes.

I remember a few years ago seeing a heatsink on some "xxxtreme gamer" motherboard that was shaped like a gun. Although modern motherboard designs still have a lot of visual wankery going on they started looking a lot more thame and less childish and gaudy again, the motherboard in my current desktop here even doesn't have any garish colors! Manufacturers probably figured that most of their customers are actually somewhere in their 30s.

EDIT: Found it!

Police Automaton has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Jul 2, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Police Automaton posted:

Manufacturers probably figured that most of their customers are actually somewhere in their 30s.

haha nope

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
The first one is downright tame to what they looked like a few years ago tho :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Buttcoin purse posted:

The funny thing is this very long article which isn't that interesting says Unicode does define some swastika characters but there were some efforts to hide them, e.g. if we put them in with all the other Chinese characters and don't actually use the word "swastika" hopefully nobody will find them!

That was an interesting article if for nothing else the idea of unicode committee infighting. I'm surprised though it didn't pick up on the Japanese use of the manji, which has also been in the news recently.