Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

Personally I dislike that he shot down Keith so quickly after Messer died and with no apparent improvement or effort on his part. I'm hoping he has to do it again at some point with no help from Freyja in the form of a song buff, but that it's much harder and takes maybe even more than one go, perhaps getting a different buff from his crystal or something instead to keep up with Keith when he has his wind buff going from his rune - their story being about the two of them having to learn to improve with no direct help from each other and become independent, but as is, SDF really did do it better.

I do agree that he got it because he's the protagonist, but I don't think it's really a bad thing. It makes sense for him to. I just wish the show had done a better job building to it.

I dunno, I didn't really view Keith being shot up as Hayate's accomplishment. He was pretty clearly riding entirely on Freyja's super song boost rather than on his own power, since Hayate/Mirage/Chuck all working together couldn't touch Keith before Freyja did her thing. There's still plenty of thematic room for Hayate to learn how to be a super ace outside of when Freyja gives him the musical equivalent of a Doom Berserk Pack.

I mean, fundamentally, this entire battle was a crushing loss for the protagonists. They lost their home planet, the last minute contingency plan failed and the Windmerians took all the Protoculture ruins in the sector, the Windemerians now have a fully functional floating doom fortress, and Heinz and Keith are still alive and kicking. Freyja, Hayate, and the Elysion's heroics basically boiled down to "we managed to save some civilians and run away without dying", which isn't exactly a high point or a victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The thing is, Keith got a similar buff himself. He got it from his rune by feeling the wind instead of a song, or maybe because of Heinz's song as well as the wind, but he clearly had one as well. With the yellow trails and all. And he and Messer both had it in the fight where he killed Messer, though in Messer's case he was getting it off Kaname, not Freyja. And yet, even with that song buff he still only kept up with Keith who had his own buff, despite being a much more capable pilot than Hayate operating without it. So it comes across as unearned to have Hayate surpass Messer by shooting down Keith just because of Freyja's buff given that Keith had his own buff at the time and having a buff didn't save Messer.

By the way, I wouldn't say the contingency plan failed outright, since the Lt who came to inform Chaos of it seemed to get what he wanted, in getting the data of what happens when the ruins are blown up. Which appears to have been as predicated by him and whoever he's working with/for. I also wouldn't say the Windermereans have a death fortress either, since it appears to look a lot like a Birdman and may just be their undoing, not the planned weapon they think at all. It's a big loss for them otherwise yea, but I don't think Hayate shooting down Keith is bad because it goes against that or anything, just because it doesn't feel earned.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Messer was hardly at his top condition in his final flight; he was super hosed up by the var and was barely able to keep himself sane in his final fight with Keith, so I'd say that would make up the difference between him and Hayate.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He was also super hosed up and suffering from var corruption in several other fights (if not all of them) from what we're told, yet he'd always kept up with buff-less Keith despite it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Wind singer buffs overwrite each other. Someone's song is always stronger. But really, supercharging a single fighter isn't much compared to the protoculture doom ship.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

He was also super hosed up and suffering from var corruption in several other fights (if not all of them) from what we're told, yet he'd always kept up with buff-less Keith despite it.

The only two fights against Keith where he was visibly var-infected was the one after the infiltration mission(where he was noticeably struggling to the point where Keith commented that Messer was slower and shittier than usual) and the one prior to his reassignment, where he nearly died a couple of times due to var tunnel visioning before Kaname snapped him out of it(and it was considered dangerous enough that they reassigned him) Prior to that it was presumably in remission because he never got the face veins or seemed to be in physical pain.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Episode was pretty great but I can't help but feel a little frustrated with the pilot side of the show, I'm really not getting any sense of progression on any of their parts and if anything the dogfighting has gotten kind of boring. Every encounter, even this "the stakes are raised!" battle, feels like it plays out exactly the same. Which I suppose is to be expected when every battle is named characters vs. named characters with little to no enemy cannon fodder for them to show off against; can't have a huge number of kills without completely depleting the casts on either side in short order.

Luckily we still have the Freyja side of the plot which remains a lot of fun.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Does anyone have any theories about links between delta and zero? Major spoilers for zero:

Macross zero has the song 'Wind of falling into ruin' which is fairly similar to the wind singer's song, the king's name is Mayan, and , plus the finale has the opera background singer sending people crazy in front of a very familiar-type of robot.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I cannot stop listening to Giraffe Blues and also most of the other songs too.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"

Kylra posted:

I cannot stop listening to Giraffe Blues and also most of the other songs too.

Same but mostly NEO STREAM instead.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

BurningDance posted:

I'm still going to root for Mirage

Ethiser posted:

the odds are solidly in Mirage's favor.
Yeaaaaah

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I watched to the latest episode of this a few days ago and never knew how much i needed macross in my life
but now i've been dying for the next episode, which is always my fear with ongoing things

there's no break between cours with this right? i dont know if i could handle that after that episode

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There isn't, but gg said it might be late because of AX.
:ohdear:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I will watch it in Japanese and just let the emotions flow over me anyway.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Is there a way to digitally purchase the OST or the Walkure album? I dunno that I can wait for them to ship from Japan. :ohdear:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Mikumo has been significantly less in charge lately. She needs to teach those windemerians who is boss.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I will take one of each of these things, thanks.

https://twitter.com/GwynCampbell/status/749083793126936576

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

So hype for ep 14.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

a kitten posted:

I will take one of each of these things, thanks.

https://twitter.com/GwynCampbell/status/749083793126936576

Dat Mirage. :allears: I hope they switch roles and make Freyja a fighter pilot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rectus posted:

Dat Mirage. :allears: I hope they switch roles and make Freyja a fighter pilot.

it would be pretty great if they did so for an episode, yeah.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well Sheryl did join pilot school and try to learn how to use an EX-Gear, so there is kinda precedent I guess.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

tsob posted:

Well Sheryl did join pilot school and try to learn how to use an EX-Gear, so there is kinda precedent I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZgJi0SmLKQ

It didn't work out too well.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My favorite is when Ikenai BORDERLINE starts to play.

giri giri ai

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I like the part where I find out the next episode has been released the most.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

ManSedan posted:

My favorite is when Ikenai BORDERLINE starts to play.

giri giri ai

That's the jam for whenever you gotta get serious

"gently caress, I've got an exam tomorrow..."
"GIRI GIRI AI"

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

MJP posted:

That's the jam for whenever you gotta get serious

"gently caress, I've got an exam tomorrow..."
"GIRI GIRI AI"

WHAT

Ikenai BORDERLINE is not a training song. It's a song for the real deal, for when poo poo goes down.

"gently caress, I've got an exam RIGHT NOW!!"
"GIRI GIRI AI"

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

WHAT

Ikenai BORDERLINE is not a training song. It's a song for the real deal, for when poo poo goes down.

"GIRI GIRI AI"

Walkure Attack! is the real poo poo goes down song though. :colbert:

Kiss kiss feel love motherfuckers.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kylra posted:

So hype for every ep.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Oh my god oh my god oh my god it's sunday

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kylra posted:

Oh my god oh my god oh my god it's sunday

GG said both this and kuromukuro would be late because of AX

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Droyer posted:

GG said both this and kuromukuro would be late because of AX
I have faith in anime!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

WHAT

"GIRI GIRI AI"

"Exchange server just died, gently caress"
"GIRI GIRI AI"

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I think my favorite songs might be Axia and Bokura no Senjou, and Halation the War is super good for bookending both ends of the album perfectly. I've yet to skip a track. :kimchi:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

:stonklol:

It's a hoax.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Does that loving say Blanka?

e: ah

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 4, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

a kitten posted:

Does that loving say Blanka?

e: ah

Bianca.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Mogomra posted:

It's a hoax.
:(

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

i don't get the joke. why would more robotech be a good thing?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I don't think I know anything about robotech, but maybe the combination of singing + robots will make it better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kylra posted:

I don't think I know anything about robotech, but maybe the combination of singing + robots will make it better?

robotech's literally just macross but slightly worse, and then two other shows but much worse

• Locked thread