Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

zVxTeflon posted:

Does Arya even know about Edmure? Wouldn't she just assume hes dead too or did she learn about his capture from somewhere?

Did Walder mention it at all during the party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is it a thing that now Arya gets to run around murdering people all willy-nilly and it doesn't seem to bother the religion that makes a point of only killing specified people with a purpose that trained her?
At any rate Jaqen should've been pissed he lost two good employees in one day

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Is it a thing that now Arya gets to run around murdering people all willy-nilly and it doesn't seem to bother the religion that makes a point of only killing specified people with a purpose that trained her?

Now that she is officially No One, the many-faced god tells her exactly who she should kill. It just happens that he wants her to kill the exact same people that she wants to kill and no one else.

Basically because people are dying, the many faced god is happy. He couldn't give a poo poo who.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
But isn't one of the big tenets of that religion that the gift of death isn't something to be given out lightly

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Calaveron posted:

But isn't one of the big tenets of that religion that the gift of death isn't something to be given out lightly

No. gently caress you. Suck aryas dick!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Calaveron posted:

At any rate Jaqen should've been pissed he lost two good employees in one day

Arya realized that murdering for pay was not her style, because those that died would be innocent of any wrong doing, like the actress. She wants to be an avenging angel, kill those that have wronged her and her family.

Thing is, did anyone seriously think that Arya's time in the house of black and white was going to result in her becoming a level 100 Faceless Man Assassin and be assigned to kill Dany? From the start it was obvious this was an distraction, something she thought she wanted but was not something she would see to the end. She was always going to leave at some point, and thinking anything beyond that was just a lack of reading comprehension.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I always figured she was gonna split, but there were definitely readers who thought Arya was gonna stay a Faceless Man and kill Dany or Sansa.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The faceless started off dealing karmatic justice, Arya is basically unwittingly bringing them back to their roots.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

twistedmentat posted:

Thing is, did anyone seriously think that Arya's time in the house of black and white was going to result in her becoming a level 100 Faceless Man Assassin and be assigned to kill Dany?
There is a small but loud minority that wants Dany to be in conflict with the Starks. Arya getting assigned to kill her was one possible way to do it.

In reality, it's probably more that they will have a competition about who kills Cersei first (answer: dark horse Jaime coming in from the left field).

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Before DwD I thought that she was going to be assigned to kill jon and then and only then would she break.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

meristem posted:

There is a small but loud minority that wants Dany to be in conflict with the Starks. Arya getting assigned to kill her was one possible way to do it.

In reality, it's probably more that they will have a competition about who kills Cersei first (answer: dark horse Jaime coming in from the left field).

King and Queen-slayer

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Calaveron posted:

When they meet at Harrenhal Jaqen asks Arya to just randomly name three people he can kill.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think the best way to explain Jaqen's treatment of Arya is that the Faceless Men are regular people too. He clearly has some kind of fascination with Arya, which explains all the weird things she allows her to do. The actor suggested as much in his interviews; it's a bit silly to see Jaqen as a mindless enforcer.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One thing I'm sad that they cut was when Arya beat her Daredevil training by warging into a cat and using it to see. The Faceless Men are just as fallible as anyone, and have no way of identifying an ancient form of magic that is antithetical to their own. Plus, Arya is just one of those people who has Grand Destiny written all over. It's not so odd to want a piece of that action.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
They've left out a lot of the magical elements from the books, like when Dany first goes to Qarth or whatever it was and there were a bunch of pyromancers throwing fireballs in the air, it's small stuff but details like that add a lot imho.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

IIRC the crannogmen also have ways of getting past it by land, but they're only useable if you have a guide who's deeply familiar with the marshes.

Yea you can bypass it, by going through the swamps ruled by the crannogmen. It just blocks the only dry land route into the north, which realistically is the only way an army could take, without suffering massive casualties in the swamps.

Lycus posted:

Did Walder mention it at all during the party?

Yes Walder mention it to Jaime when he sits down with him, that Edmure is back in his cell.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 2, 2016

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Alhazred posted:

When they meet at Harrenhal Jaqen asks Arya to just randomly name three people he can kill.

Yeah, but the implication is that he's got an explicit code he's following; she robbed the god of three lives, so she owes it three lives. Tip the balance one way, you need to reset that balance, and that goes both ways. Doing things willy nilly one way or the other messes things up. Or at least, that's the way it used to be until Arya quit and Jaqen just sort of nodded because why not?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

maybe aryas death list was the request and her servitude was the payment

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Maybe the next plot point was that she goes to the Twins to kill Walder Frey, so gently caress it, here's a boat and off you go.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Maybe the next plot point was that she goes to the Twins to kill Walder Frey, so gently caress it, here's a boat airplane and off you go.

ftfy

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Arya is not a faceless man so there's no reason to hold her to their standards. She just knows how to face swap.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
A few small oddities and loose ends:

- It seemed like the position of Lord Commander was passed on to Edd by default, with no new choosing. Do the garrisons at the Shadow Tower and Eastwatch even know what transpired at Castle Black this season?
- It seems like only the North was torn between the rivalry between the Stark and Boltons. As far as any viewer knows, there are no noble houses in Dorne that are discontent with the bastard Ellaria Sand murdering their lord and seizing the throne. Nobody in the Reach objects to Olenna Tyrell allying with Dorne and Daenerys. Nor have any Lannister bannermen or lords from the Stormlands and Crownlands withdrawn their support for Cersei. Granted, something like this might happen next season, but thus far it seems like all regions except the North are completely politically unified.
- Will Daenerys' fleet sail straight past Volantis, the most notorious slavers among the Free Cities and leave them unmolested. Considering Braavos is ideologically opposed to slavery, wouldn't it make sense for her to seek an alliance?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Atreiden posted:

Yea you can bypass it, by going through the swamps ruled by the crannogmen. It just blocks the only dry land route into the north, which realistically is the only way an army could take, without suffering massive casualties in the swamps.

Yes Walder mention it to Jaime when he sits down with him, that Edmure is back in his cell.

Now that winter has arrived the swamps should be frozen and passable. But why anyone would want to invade the north in winter is beyond me

Also there should be some unnamed male heir to high garden that is danys most valuable potential husband and it's weird that hasn't come up at all

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DirtyRobot posted:

Yeah, but the implication is that he's got an explicit code he's following; she robbed the god of three lives, so she owes it three lives. Tip the balance one way, you need to reset that balance, and that goes both ways. Doing things willy nilly one way or the other messes things up. Or at least, that's the way it used to be until Arya quit and Jaqen just sort of nodded because why not?

Of course Jaqen is more than happy to break this code if it means that he doesn't have to die.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kopijeger posted:

- It seemed like the position of Lord Commander was passed on to Edd by default, with no new choosing. Do the garrisons at the Shadow Tower and Eastwatch even know what transpired at Castle Black this season?

I'm assuming Edd is just Acting Commander until a new Lord Commander is elected, if another choosing ever happens. Castle Black has no Maester, and Jon executed the first ranger, builder and steward before he left. I assume the Night's Watch stopped mattering when Jon left, so Edd will stay in charge until the Wall falls because there's no point to showing any more Night's Watch politics.

Kopijeger posted:

- It seems like only the North was torn between the rivalry between the Stark and Boltons. As far as any viewer knows, there are no noble houses in Dorne that are discontent with the bastard Ellaria Sand murdering their lord and seizing the throne. Nobody in the Reach objects to Olenna Tyrell allying with Dorne and Daenerys. Nor have any Lannister bannermen or lords from the Stormlands and Crownlands withdrawn their support for Cersei. Granted, something like this might happen next season, but thus far it seems like all regions except the North are completely politically unified.

I wouldn't count on it. All the political conflict in Game of Thrones comes from GRRM, and most of that is excised. Even the North was hardly a conflict; everyone backed the Boltons at least passively right up until Jon showed up with an army of wildlings and Vale knights.

Kopijeger posted:

- Will Daenerys' fleet sail straight past Volantis, the most notorious slavers among the Free Cities and leave them unmolested. Considering Braavos is ideologically opposed to slavery, wouldn't it make sense for her to seek an alliance?

She's already allied with half the Seven Kingdoms to conquer Westeros. I don't think she's in a position to make stops along the way, but Volantis may well be brought up as a backburner project.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

It would be neat to see some of the Martells rival houses propping up Ellaria's rule in Dorne, even if they were just in the background providing some justification for how they were able to take power. Make it the Daynes, maybe, since show watcher's have some concept of them now thanks to the TOJ (I might just be saying this just because I desperately want to see the show take a crack at Darkstar.)

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

A few small oddities and loose ends:

Braavos seeking alliance with Dany makes more sense than the other way round, given that she's the one with the army. (I do think that she will make a brief pit stop in Volantis, and that's where we'll see her start the next season.) And if there was one thing that would made me no-poo poo quit the show, it would be forcing me to watch Edd/Ellaria/Olenna/whoever have to deal with political nobodies at a time where the show should be speeding to the conclusion. That would completely break the momentum.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

meristem posted:

(I do think that she will make a brief pit stop in Volantis, and that's where we'll see her start the next season.)

Yeah, if anything, next season is going to have to find ways to slow Dany's arrival to Westeros, rather than have her turn up immediately.

I'd assumed that they'd spend the first few episodes setting up The Seven Kingdom's plan to repel Dany, leading up to some sort of naval conflict. Probably something to do with Euron (and his horn?), but they could do a whistlestop invasion of Volantis. Or both.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Also, we saw Volantis twice in the past seasons. And one of the guys Grey Worm killed came from Volantis. And the actress who plays Marei, last seen in Volantis, has signed up for Season 7. It just seems like a convenient place marker, 'Here is where Dany now is.'

Otherwise, she'll probably start out in Dragonstone. She'll probably want to visit it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Where would Dany land in Westeros? Certainly not at Kings Landing, maybe down south or will she stop at Dorne?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Demiurge4 posted:

Where would Dany land in Westeros? Certainly not at Kings Landing, maybe down south or will she stop at Dorne?

Considering the tyrells have joined her she should just land at highgarden. I don't think the show will ever acknowledge her supply issues but her army is going to need a huge amount of food. The dothraki sure can't graze in dorne

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

mastershakeman posted:

Considering the tyrells have joined her she should just land at highgarden. I don't think the show will ever acknowledge her supply issues but her army is going to need a huge amount of food. The dothraki sure can't graze in dorne

Didn't Bronn have a line about Dornish horses being the best?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Super Deuce posted:

Didn't Bronn have a line about Dornish horses being the best?

Dornish horses adapted to live off of sand, dothraki havent

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, if anything, next season is going to have to find ways to slow Dany's arrival to Westeros, rather than have her turn up immediately.

I'd assumed that they'd spend the first few episodes setting up The Seven Kingdom's plan to repel Dany, leading up to some sort of naval conflict. Probably something to do with Euron (and his horn?), but they could do a whistlestop invasion of Volantis. Or both.

Her fleet will get shipwrecked on the shores of the Dothraki steppes and they spend the whole season there

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I'm not going to give the show any more poo poo because they actually put Dany on a boat and set course to Westeros which is something that's never going to happen in the books.

So thank you D&D and HBO for getting poo poo done unlike the fat bastard.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm assuming she'll go Volantis, (naval battle), King's Landing, with the Tyrell-Martell armies doing the actual fighting. By the time she'll get to King's Landing, it will be deserted and Cersei and Jaime will have killed each other. Tyrion won't meet either of his siblings again.

It simply feels like the cleanest solution. Qyburn having a bit of a showdown with Varys and the Cleganes killing each other does, too. Wiping off the slate before the endgame, as it were.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Edit removed link

halokiller fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 2, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

Does Arya even know about Edmure? Wouldn't she just assume hes dead too or did she learn about his capture from somewhere?

A ton of people saw Edmure, all the Frey and the Lannister men saw/heard what happened. Him being strung up and then surrendering Riverrun is something that everybody would be talking about. Not just the soldiers but also peasant in taverns or inns or wherever.

Plus she was at the after-party, all the soldiers would be bragging about how they took Riverrun without suffering a single casualty.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

El Hefe posted:

I'm not going to give the show any more poo poo because they actually put Dany on a boat and set course to Westeros which is something that's never going to happen in the books.

So thank you D&D and HBO for getting poo poo done unlike the fat bastard.

I don't even think Sansa is going to leave the Vale in TWOW, let alone Dany leaving Slaver's Bay, hell didn't GRRM imply she won't meet Tyrion for a good while? I love the books and I like GRRM but holy poo poo he's hosed.

While it's great we'll be getting the ending for the main saga via HBO, I'm sad about Dunk & Egg likely never getting concluded. Those guys are rad. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BillBear posted:

I don't even think Sansa is going to leave the Vale in TWOW, let alone Dany leaving Slaver's Bay, hell didn't GRRM imply she won't meet Tyrion for a good while? I love the books and I like GRRM but holy poo poo he's hosed.

While it's great we'll be getting the ending for the main saga via HBO, I'm sad about Dunk & Egg likely never getting concluded. Those guys are rad. :smith:

Maaaann... I've been reading Dunk and Egg and enjoying it and the fat man's blue balling us there too? :argh:

• Locked thread