Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I finally got around to doing placement matches with a friend going 7-3 and placing 58, primarily as Lucio/Rein/Zarya--and I found the general quality of games to be very good. Only had one game go to sudden death and we won (we got attacking on Anubis A which was fairly easy to bum rush with mass tanks) but I can see that mechanic being super lovely if it comes up too much.

Actually got several games in a row where most of the team used ingame voice chat for once and we did really well with a coordinated last minute Transcedence push which I've never been able to organize in QM. And only two hanzos (who switched off :toot:). Sucks that they kind of ruined KoTH in it because otherwise its been really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Apparently I'm some sort of competitive god, me on the left. Also average 14.3k healing with Lucio over 6 games heh.

(I'm not even ranked yet :ssh: )

Hate to burst your bubble but there's a bug where you see that as your icon. I get that every other game as well. You're not top 500.

Also competitive games are much longer since you play both sides and koth is 3/5 so it's not hard to get high levels of healing like that.

don't worry tho you're still special to me.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

fortocero posted:

don't worry tho you're still special to me.

Plus its a reaper called something funny instead of deathsmash420 or whatever.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

vorebane posted:

I'm sad that reaper's teleport effect is purple now. I know it's still red to the enemy team, but it's harder to get into high functioning psychopath mode when the signal of impending shotgunny doom is purple to me. Even if it was blue, that'd be decent. I would still miss my red teleports though.

And seriously, having all reaper teleports red is a public service! This way I can keep my teammates on their toes!

You strike me as a reaper player even if you weren't directly talking about playing reaper.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
'Allo, just got the game, playing single player to work out the kinks.

Any idea whether someone based in NZ should go for Asian servers or USA servers?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WarpedNaba posted:

Any idea whether someone based in NZ should go for Asian servers or USA servers?

Aussie servers are grouped with US and you apparently sometimes get stuck in lovely-ping matches with Americans, but I've gotten good consistent ping with the Asia ones.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Good to hear. Guess I'd better brush up on my Hangul, then.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Reaper isn't actually a proper flanker. He can do the job if required but he really shines as a backline skirmisher. Not your backline, obviously.

On any given push if you have your team on one side and your Reaper on the other you're going to have a much easier time of things.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

I was playing solo queue because I hate myself. I accidentally picked Genji and this player told me to switch or otherwise "enjoy your loss" among other flattering things.

He didn't notice I swapped to Soldier 76 when the round started and for the entire game he kept complaining about me playing Genji while I just said nothing. We (barely) won anyways.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 2, 2016

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

WarpedNaba posted:

USA servers includes the AUS/NZ servers.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Theta Zero posted:

I was playing solo queue because I hate myself. I accidentally picked Genji and this player told me to switch or otherwise "enjoy your loss" among other flattering things.

He didn't notice I swapped to Soldier 76 when the round started and for the entire game he kept complaining about me playing Genji while I just said nothing. We (barely) won anyways.

Someone who calls themselves Daddy was cringing. And many fantasies were learned. On that day.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I've played Reaper a grand total of like 3 games and have no idea when to use his teleport, please advise.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I've played Reaper a grand total of like 3 games and have no idea when to use his teleport, please advise.

When no one is looking at either you or the destination. It's good for getting into high places and flanking routes and stuff.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The ideal situation for Reaper is to run up to someone and start shooting them in the chest when you are really close. That gets a lot easier if they don't see you coming, so you use your teleport to get to higher ground and/or to flank people. Always look for alternate routes to approach people.

Just keep in mind that he says something when teleporting and that his boots are very loud. You are not a stealthy motherfucker.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I almost never use it cause the aiming is so drat fiddly

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Apparently, a guy got permbanned for doing the Hanzo/Genji server crashing exploit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4qw7wq/blizzard_will_ban_you_indefinitely_for_crashing/

Which would be good news.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Main Paineframe posted:

When no one is looking at either you or the destination. It's good for getting into high places and flanking routes and stuff.

To add to this, I've gotten away with using the teleport by going to a spot a bit awhile from where the wm's spot on her perch is, so I feel like maybe the voice line's reach is pretty short? But this has has also worked on a wm on the arch outside Anubis B, which is a very small platform, so maybe people are just bad. If anyone sees or hears you teleporting they are going to have about a second of you standing still at the new spot with which to murder you and laugh. You'll get shot while waiting to actually teleport too. I've used it to jump from inside a building to inside the next one over, so I can stay in cover from the baleful gaze of widowmakers and s76s. What's also worked out, if there's time, is finding cover from something bad like half the enemy team, and teleporting SOMEWHERE as a juke.

Motherfucker posted:

You strike me as a reaper player even if you weren't directly talking about playing reaper.

Guilty as charged. Was it referencing the best voice line in the game that gave it away?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xaris posted:

I love Pharah but god drat this game loves embarrassing me when it decides the best end of game award to stick out is my 81 direct rockets with a "whopping" 23% direct-hit rate and not the four golds or whatever :mad:

I don't take low accuracy as Pharah as a bad thing, it just means you're using rockets for area denial and not just for kill shots. The only time you shouldn't be firing rockets like a madman is when you're trying to set up an ultimate from an unexpected angle.

Ddraig posted:

Reaper isn't actually a proper flanker. He can do the job if required but he really shines as a backline skirmisher. Not your backline, obviously.

That's what "flanker" means. :confused:

I mean there is kind of a distinction in that Reaper has a bit more staying power than the others, but he's still much closer to Tracer or Genji than he is to, like, Winston or D. Va.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 2, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't take low accuracy as Pharah as a bad thing, it just means you're using rockets for area denial and not just for kill shots. The only time you shouldn't be firing rockets like a madman is when you're trying to set up an ultimate from an unexpected angle.

That's what "flanker" means. :confused:

I mean there is kind of a distinction in that Reaper has a bit more staying power than the others, but he's still much closer to Tracer or Genji than he is to, like, Winston or D. Va.
I consider D. Va a flanker, too :v:

Otherwise, agreed

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Xaris posted:

I love Pharah but god drat this game loves embarrassing me when it decides the best end of game award to stick out is my 81 direct rockets with a "whopping" 23% direct-hit rate and not the four golds or whatever :mad:

Things like that, Symmetra's turret kills, and Roadhog's hook percentage are overly weighted for cards at the end I think. They show up way too much.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
So last night our team was getting pretty countered by the opposition having a good comp and working together. I was playing Junkrat in the beginning but kept getting killed by the Reaper who would flank, as he should be trying to do. I got tired of being killed by him so I switched to Mei since she was gonna be a decent pick against their Genji that kept running in alongside another hero that I don't remember.

I killed the Reaper one time with an m2 from distance. He got loving angry. Like, berating me for being a no-skilled human being for picking Mei angry.

I literally killed him one time to trigger that. It was amazing. We lost, but that was potg imo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WarpedNaba posted:

Good to hear. Guess I'd better brush up on my Hangul, then.

If you want Aussie goons to play with, there's a thread here with Battlenet ID's.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I played with a level 284 last night :stare:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Papercut posted:

I played with a level 284 last night :stare:

Highest I've seen is 253. At launch, I liked looking at the hours of people with insanely high levels and doing the math on how much Overwatch they need to play per day to reach that level. Best I got was a level ~150 on week 2 who had more hours in Overwatch clocked per day than a full time job.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
This is going to look like an SH/SC post but I thought I'd ask you guys first. Is there any way I can upgrade my i3-4160/2x4GB DDR3/GTX 750 Ti specifically to get performance in Overwatch? All connected to an H97M motherboard and I already got the must-have SSD.

Like, what's the bottleneck here? I play on the lowest settings and get decent FPS but it stutters every now and then and I'm pretty sure that's the Reason Why I Suck™.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

My favorite Reaper teleport is Anubis B defense. I go from behind the wall near the dark tunnel onto the sniper balcony (this is assuming it's empty) and then drop down behind anyone who has run in. Unless there's a Widow or Pharah on the other team, this usually all happens without the enemy even noticing it.

crabf
May 29, 2015

Theta Zero posted:

Highest I've seen is 253. At launch, I liked looking at the hours of people with insanely high levels and doing the math on how much Overwatch they need to play per day to reach that level. Best I got was a level ~150 on week 2 who had more hours in Overwatch clocked per day than a full time job.

Being a full-time gamer is no joking matter.

On-topic, I got pitted into a game last night with a level 300. I am level 38. Do levels even affect who you get matched up with?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

crabf posted:

Being a full-time gamer is no joking matter.

On-topic, I got pitted into a game last night with a level 300. I am level 38. Do levels even affect who you get matched up with?

No. Nor should they, because not everyone learns and improves at the same rate.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Good God, everything about this is rage inducing

https://twitter.com/Code_Blade/status/749107075494481920

Edit: That dance at the end :argh:

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 2, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mister Fister posted:

Good God, everything about this is rage inducing

https://twitter.com/Code_Blade/status/749107075494481920

Edit: That dance at the end :argh:

Just an aside, but I think Mei's freezing ability should scale based on character size. Let her ice the small/average-size Heroes as it is now, and take a bit longer to freeze a Tank like Winston or Reinhardt so she isn't utterly and inescapably ruining their day in about three seconds flat.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Won a competitive game last night with a good solid group of pubbies. After the game ended everyone got added as friends and we queued up as a group. Won about 4 games in a row and I grew from 37 to 39. Lost the last game and fell back to 38. Moral of the story is..a group of fully coordinated, voice using, flexible pubbies were able to win 4/5 games straight and it was so good. When is team queue coming?

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

internet inc posted:

This is going to look like an SH/SC post but I thought I'd ask you guys first. Is there any way I can upgrade my i3-4160/2x4GB DDR3/GTX 750 Ti specifically to get performance in Overwatch? All connected to an H97M motherboard and I already got the must-have SSD.

Like, what's the bottleneck here? I play on the lowest settings and get decent FPS but it stutters every now and then and I'm pretty sure that's the Reason Why I Suck™.
The free MSI Afterburner tool can log a bunch of useful metrics to help troubleshoot this. You'll want to log at least Framerate, Frame Times, GPU Usage and CPU Usage across all cores, with a polling time of 100ms eg. http://imgur.com/KH1Nnvj

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just an aside, but I think Mei's freezing ability should scale based on character size. Let her ice the small/average-size Heroes as it is now, and take a bit longer to freeze a Tank like Winston or Reinhardt so she isn't utterly and inescapably ruining their day in about three seconds flat.

Do you notice how Mei isn't really used in comp? She's not actually all that powerful. She's good at stomping idiots who run off alone constantly or slipping past a Reinhardt shield and freezing him while his team are too loving stupid to just shoot you, but she's not powerful against people with a brain. She doesn't need a nerf.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because the best thing they should do to Mei is make her even worse.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
They should make it so Mei's wall can be placed horizontally on walls so she could create temp platforms or a shelter from overhead ults.

I don't know how better this would make her but it would make the most fun character even more fun.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Really the main Mei to worry about is the one that has mastered her M2 because that poo poo is loving scary. Has higher damage and less damage falloff than McCree's M1. It can one-shot a tracer.

Seagull gets destroyed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHi_a0FYGGI

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

actually Mei should freeze everyone faster than she does now and have less windup on her M2

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Why do people keep proposing nerfs to characters that already have close to 0% competitive usage?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sade posted:

Why do people keep proposing nerfs to characters that already have close to 0% competitive usage?

search your heart, you already know the answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mei is annoying when I am running around as gorilla mans, please nerf.