Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have at least three nvidia driver issues with my 1080:
- Artifacts appear on screen and flickers when card transitions from idle to load. Known issue, nvidia has a hotfix driver that doesn't appear to fix it. Thankfully someone on the forums discovered it mostly goes away if you change the power from adaptive to maximum and overclocking the card appears to help a bit, too. This looks bad.
- Vsync keeps being enabled in nvidia control panel. This has apparently been an issue for a few builds. Workaround is to check nvidia control panel obsessively.
- Card doesn't idle at 144hz. It will idle at 120hz. Workaround is to just let it slurp power I guess.

There is also the multidisplay lowest common denominator refresh rate bug but I don't have multiple displays.

None of these are showstoppers for me, although I'm surprised they shipped the first since I've seen people rma cards that likely are just that bug. And frankly, the AMD power thing seems much worse than any of these.

It's one of those "you don't have to out run the bear, just the other guy" types of situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

wicka posted:

then stop posting

You should reconsider this whole "being a tremendous rear end in a top hat" thing, I don't think it's working out for you.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
My 1070 was delivered on Saturday from Newegg and that wasn't even overnight. That was like two weeks ago. That's some pretty serious nickel and diming there

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

My 1070 was delivered on Saturday from Newegg and that wasn't even overnight. That was like two weeks ago. That's some pretty serious nickel and diming there

via fedex or UPS?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

wicka posted:

via fedex or UPS?

FedEx 3 day

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/detail/index/sArticle/61887

Sapphire 480 Nitro 8GB just showed up for £250, which is £20 more than reference. Not bad considering how much of an improvement that cooler will be.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

bizarre. from the city of industry warehouse? to be fair, fedex delivery drivers are independent contractors, in the past i've gotten stuff from them seemingly far earlier than i should have, like they grabbed a bunch of packages that weren't scheduled to be delivered yet and delivered them anyway.

repiv posted:

Sapphire 480 Nitro 8GB just showed up for £250, which is £20 more than reference. Not bad considering how much of an improvement that cooler will be.

this is the card we were talking about being ugly a while ago, it looks a thousand times nicer painted black.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I ordered my 1070 on Tuesday night and got it Thursday with newegg 3 day. Like someone else said it's probably inconsistency on fedex's end.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

- Artifacts appear on screen and flickers when card transitions from idle to load. Known issue, nvidia has a hotfix driver that doesn't appear to fix it. Thankfully someone on the forums discovered it mostly goes away if you change the power from adaptive to maximum and overclocking the card appears to help a bit, too. This looks bad.
- Vsync keeps being enabled in nvidia control panel. This has apparently been an issue for a few builds. Workaround is to check nvidia control panel obsessively.
- Card doesn't idle at 144hz. It will idle at 120hz. Workaround is to just let it slurp power I guess.

There is also the multidisplay lowest common denominator refresh rate bug but I don't have multiple displays.

None of these are showstoppers for me, although I'm surprised they shipped the first since I've seen people rma cards that likely are just that bug. And frankly, the AMD power thing seems much worse than any of these.

It's one of those "you don't have to out run the bear, just the other guy" types of situations.

Also heads up 10x0 folks, check your clocks if performance drops down. A couple times my Strix 1080 has gotten stuck at a lower clock until I toggle the profile in the Asus OC tool off and back on. Kinda funny that it took me a bit to notice when running Overwatch at max settings w/vsync at 1440p at a core clock of 950mhz instead of 2030! Lame to run the monitor all the time to glance over and check it though.

And 10x0+Korean monitor folks, Nvidia said in that one thread on their forum they're looking at "fixing"/changing the thing so Windows will boot right at <80 hz over DL-DVI in one of their next driver releases.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Looking forward to see what the 480 nitro can do.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, the 480 is a huge, huge bug. Before that I had no bugs with the 290 other than videos flickering, which was solved quickly. Meanwhile I had serious issues with the 970 drivers around launch, then later got a problem that lasted months where alt tabbing would cause serious issues when I returned to game with the game doing under a frame per second and iirc loving with the sim speed at least in vermintide. Luckily I was on an AMD card before 364 dropped and started causing loving BSODs in the year 2016 and lasted for something stupid like well over a month. That's outright bugs and not things like running at full 3d clocks because I have multiple monitors.

So NV doesn't have driver issues is categorically false, and in my experience their driver quality is on a sharp decline. Problem is AMD needs to be obviously better to get people to change their mind and launch issues are going to tar them in a way NV doesn't have to worry about, since the GPU market is built on confirmation bias, poor research, half-remembered info from a friend in the know, and is in general a perfect refutation of the existence of homo economicus.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

repiv posted:

A 20 dollar premium is about what I expected. However, this does make the RX 480 the same price as a faster R9 390X at OCUK and you can get equally as fast R9 390's for 50 dollars less. I guess we'll find out soon if the 8-pin and better coolers help these cards OC better, or if the reference cards are already closed to capped.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Beautiful Ninja posted:

A 20 dollar premium is about what I expected. However, this does make the RX 480 the same price as a faster R9 390X at OCUK and you can get equally as fast R9 390's for 50 dollars less. I guess we'll find out soon if the 8-pin and better coolers help these cards OC better, or if the reference cards are already closed to capped.

That card looks way too tall for my case.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The only NV widespread hardware fault was the mass BGA solder failures aka Bumpgate on the 8800GT and even that, while serious, is still not as dangerous as this AMD power issue.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So, this is going on: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121926

If the 480 is supposed to be equivalent to the 970, then this is a cheaper deal than the 480 ($199 after MiR). THe only issue is that it's blower style which (for me at least) is necessary since I use a SFF PC! And of course it's this goofy white thing but I never have to look at it, so I'm cool with it.

Price drops are great considering all the other ones are like $300 and I don't think they'll be getting much lower than $199. I'm gonna buy it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

So, this is going on: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121926

If the 480 is supposed to be equivalent to the 970, then this is a cheaper deal than the 480 ($199 after MiR). THe only issue is that it's blower style which (for me at least) is necessary since I use a SFF PC! And of course it's this goofy white thing but I never have to look at it, so I'm cool with it.

Price drops are great considering all the other ones are like $300 and I don't think they'll be getting much lower than $199. I'm gonna buy it.

I actually saw a review of that card a while back, other than it looking pretty cheap it's apparently pretty good for a blower card.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
AMD is claiming they have a fix:

http://videocardz.com/61783/amd-testing-driver-fix-for-rx-480-pci-express-overcurrent-issue

For some reason I feel suspicious of this. I hope that they explain in detail what went wrong and how they're fixing it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's really simple guys. I bought a nvidia last year after a pretty long time of only having ATi (hey, they were always better at higher resolutions). Right about the next big nvidia driver update, everything went to poo poo. I'm sorry, but maybe some people will finally switch to AMD now, so not actually sorry :v:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Its hard for me to not read "NV" as New Vegas instead of NVidia.
Anyway, what do you guys mean by "blower?" Is it a specific style of fan or something?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I actually saw a review of that card a while back, other than it looking pretty cheap it's apparently pretty good for a blower card.

The actual card's processor itself is pretty short but the case is long (almost 12 inches), and the fan is (supposedly) pretty great. The tradeoff is that it is so ugly I guess.

sout posted:

Anyway, what do you guys mean by "blower?" Is it a specific style of fan or something?

Cards can have blower style coolers (also called reference) in that they have an intake fan on one end that sucks in ambient air and then blows air into the shell and across the card and out the exhaust port (where the ports are). The other ones are where they have fans mounted all across the card, usually with copper heat pipes and such so that they're able to more effectively dissipate heat into the case and away from the card.

Blowers are better for smaller, tighter fits like small form factor PCs (like mine) that are about the size of an Xbox or for people who do Crossfire/SLI configurations where the heat generated from one card won't dissipate onto the other card.

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 2, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

http://videocardz.com/61783/amd-testing-driver-fix-for-rx-480-pci-express-overcurrent-issue

For some reason I feel suspicious of this. I hope that they explain in detail what went wrong and how they're fixing it.

Trying to bullshit a fix would totally backfire 100x more than silence. I would really be surprised if their card couldn't adjust its power draw through software. It will be interesting to see what kind of performance impact it causes though.

Truga posted:

It's really simple guys. I bought a nvidia last year after a pretty long time of only having ATi (hey, they were always better at higher resolutions). Right about the next big nvidia driver update, everything went to poo poo. I'm sorry, but maybe some people will finally switch to AMD now, so not actually sorry :v:

Both companies have poo poo drivers and I never understood why people insist that one or the other is better. Even if a company is currently better at drivers that doesn't mean they won't be making GBS threads the bed in 6 months.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

The actual card's processor itself is pretty short but the case is long (almost 12 inches), and the fan is (supposedly) pretty great. The tradeoff is that it is so ugly I guess.

And really noisy.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Yeah, I saw this earlier. I hope this all works out but I'm a little suspicious because I would think an issue like this would need to be fixed in a BIOS/Firmware update. If they can do it through the driver and it does not cause a performance loss or problems with overclocking then great, I'm hoping that this isn't too good to be true so that this issue can be put to rest.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xae posted:

Trying to bullshit a fix would totally backfire 100x more than silence. I would really be surprised if their card couldn't adjust its power draw through software. It will be interesting to see what kind of performance impact it causes though.

Yeah, that's basically my fear -- that this "fix" will effectively neuter performance.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

snuff posted:

And really noisy.

Blower style fans are just plain not as good as their counterparts, they just have specific use-case scenarios. The way my PC is set up, it shouldn't have to speed its fan up too much. Probably.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

sout posted:

Blower = A cooler that with a fan at the rear that blows incoming air through a heatsink shroud and exhausts out at the rear slot, usually found on the cheapest version of cards.

The idea is blow the hot exhaust air directly out of the case so it doesn't mix with the cooler air inside.

But they are usually disliked because the blower fan tends to spin too fast and noisy, and the traditional fan on top of heatsink designs can fit more fans (more fans = more airflow = fans can spin less = less noisy) and more heatsinks (better cooling potential) in the same volume.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Yeah I'm cautious about it as well for similar reasons as the original problem. The card is targeting the budget market where people will cut corners anyway heightening the inherent risk. Their current stock has a dodgy bios, and while they can push out new stock with the fix applied they'll need a recall on the existing stock to be anywhere near safe. Any trust placed on users updating their drivers before trying out their new card is misplaced, and the non-immediate failures will cause more damage in the long-term.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

sout posted:

Blower coolers use a special type of fan to suck air in from inside the case and then push it through the shroud on the card like a wind tunnel and out the back of the case. It's an inefficient way of cooling but it has the advantage of exhausting all the heat out of the back of the case instead of back into the case like on an open cooler. The other issue is that that type of fan has to spin at high speeds to be effective and this can make blower cards quite loud, the RPM range on an open cooler's fans is typically between 500 and 2000 RPM and these days they can even turn the fans off when under low load levels, on a blower you are looking at something more like 1000-6000 RPM.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Yeah, that's basically my fear -- that this "fix" will effectively neuter performance.

I have a feeling that's all it all do. It's a shame, because if it could be changed in software to draw the majority of the power it needed from the PCIe power connector, and not the PCIe slot, then that would be acceptable. But I have a feeling that's going to need some firmware changes or even worse, a board re-design.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wicka posted:

my. loving. god. you're complaining about AMD's launch issues even though you're not using a 480, and yet you refuse to comment on nvidia's launch issues because you don't yet have a 1070. do you genuinely not understand the problem?

What, exactly, do you think "NVIDIA's launch issues" are?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 2, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, I saw this earlier. I hope this all works out but I'm a little suspicious because I would think an issue like this would need to be fixed in a BIOS/Firmware update. If they can do it through the driver and it does not cause a performance loss or problems with overclocking then great, I'm hoping that this isn't too good to be true so that this issue can be put to rest.

Considering they've added power target and a lot of other stuff to the driver I wouldn't be surprised if they've pulled a lot of the power management out into the driver. But that's a guess there.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Paul MaudDib posted:

What, exactly, do you think "NVIDIA's launch issues" are?

NVIDIA is sprinting headfirst into diminishing returns. At a point, they'll be charging $600 for a 10% gain in performance over their last generation of cards.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HalloKitty posted:

I have a feeling that's all it all do. It's a shame, because if it could be changed in software to draw the majority of the power it needed from the PCIe power connector, and not the PCIe slot, then that would be acceptable. But I have a feeling that's going to need some firmware changes or even worse, a board re-design.

I'm pretty sure the power distribution circuitry are already set in stone, there is no way to program the card to draw less power on the slot while drawing more power from the 6-pin to compensate. It's extremely hard to believe the 480 have this functionality when no other card ever has the need to solve a flaw by design.

The only solution left is to downclock or downvolt the GPU to reduce overall TDP altogether until the slot power is <75W.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

NVIDIA is sprinting headfirst into diminishing returns. At a point, they'll be charging $600 for a 10% gain in performance over their last generation of cards.

As long as people buy the cards, that's not an actual problem for NVIDIA, is it?

I would've thought the spotty availability of the cards so long after launch would be a bigger issue. It reeks that they're running on a process with sub-optimal yields.

This might've given AMD a good window of opportunity against the GTX 1060, but the power issue might cause many people to just sit out and wait.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

The x80 has always been pure trash from a price-to-performance perspective. Buy a 1070 or wait for a 1080 Ti and hope AMD actually has a competitive product that forces a reasonable price (hint: they won't)

The 1070 is actually a very good value, it's the same performance as the 980 Ti at 2/3 the price. People were raving about the value of that in the 900-series generation.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

AMD should probably make some cards that are better than what Nvidia is offering if they want to get market share.

Doesn't need to be better, AS GOOD is acceptable now.

It seems like the days when ATI had hardware that was as good it underwritten by shoving 2MB Rage PROs into a Packard Bell. I understand that they're sort of being double-teamed by two companies that would probably be investigated for conspiracy if this was Europe or something. Integrated graphics wiped out their old workhorse of making underpowered 2D-focused cards for the OEM set, and Nvidia has the price tags and money to build the best stuff.

It's kind of funny how much Intel's "now you don't even need a graphics card!" shtick only really eliminates what used to be ATI's majority of sales. Meanwhile, despite the early 2000s competitive moment of ATI making good cards and NVidia making hair dryers that allowed you to jack it to that fairy, NVidia never once budged on prices. They lucked out as the whole market swung their way when the PCMR mindset appeared and evangelized paying lots more money for your hardware and compensating with Steam sales.

sout posted:

Its hard for me to not read "NV" as New Vegas

Well people in Old Vegas read it as "Nevada" so you're not alone, stranger.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Well that'd be true if it were true. They are on target for performance gains for the 1000 series over the 900, and thats only comparing it to the same performance gains that 900 series had over the 700 (which were good). The overwhelming problem with nvidias launch is weird rear end dual MSRP pricing and availability.

Not to say what you are implying wont happen, its just it definitely has not happened yet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Well that'd be true if it were true. They are on target for performance gains for the 1000 series over the 900, and thats only comparing it to the same performance gains that 900 series had over the 700 (which were good). The overwhelming problem with nvidias launch is weird rear end dual MSRP pricing and availability.

Not to say what you are implying wont happen, its just it definitely has not happened yet.

The diminishing returns part is still the case if it's true that they had to spend billions of dollars to get these gains. We probably won't see the same leap when the next generation comes around. But that's mostly due to physics, not really their fault.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 1070 is actually a very good value, it's the same performance as the 980 Ti at 2/3 the price. People were raving about the value of that in the 900-series generation.

Well, if I can buy a 970 right now for $200, or a 1070 for $450, I hope the 1070 is about twice as good. But it's not. It's becoming a novelty thing instead of a performance thing-- a higher proportion of the value of the new card is wrapped up in it being the new hotness instead of literally offering significantly improved performance. If that trend continues because it doesn't have any real competitors, then there will just be less and less of a reason to upgrade to the new card.

That being said, I'd love a 1070 and this generation seems spot-on, but I just can't justify the price point. I just imagine there'll be a trend in smaller and smaller performance gains per dollar value while they run into the same issues that other manufacturers are dealing with in miniaturizations. Didn't Intel piss everyone off because they thought they'd be able to deliver on a miniaturization goal but it proved to be beyond their reach?

Besides, what am I getting in the 1070 over the 970 that's worth $200? Why would I get the 1070 instead of getting 200 cheese burgers and a 970?

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 2, 2016

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Phlegmish posted:

We probably won't see the same leap when the next generation comes around.

Or it will simply take longer, which is what just happened with 28nm -> (no 20nm) -> 14/16nm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Phlegmish posted:

The diminishing returns part is still the case if it's true that they had to spend billions of dollars to get these gains. We probably won't see the same leap when the next generation comes around. But that's mostly due to physics, not really their fault.

Oh yeah I believe that. Two in a row is more than I expected, the next gen I would assume is rebrands.

Unless nvidia has locked the 1000 cards to not perform above a certain level on purpose.