Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kestral posted:

Yeeeep, that's exactly what I've been doing. Where should I locate the files instead?

Literally anywhere else, i do it in the folder where BOB will spit out its .pack file ,assembly_kit> retail>data, but you can put do it anywhere you like except that one stupid folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Hey Olive, that was a pretty good match. If you want, I saved the replay, I could do a commentary on it if you want me to.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

terrorist ambulance posted:

The morale adjustments on harder difficulties really make for absurd outcomes. Orc boar boyz charging into the back of goblin spearmen --> orc boar boyz break after 15 seconds of combat. Sure, sounds good.

Lmao what are you doing leaving orc boyz in melee for 15 seconds. Charge and withdraw dude

Anytime youre 'inexplicably' losing take a second glance at what you might be doing wrong cuz I guarantee you there's a tactical choice that would be better that you're just not doing. Lost a battle? Reload and do something different

Really examine your matchups and consider alternatives

That said battle difficulty setting at VH is genuinely tough. The AI leadership bonus/player penalties are really serious

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 2, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
yes "lmao" indeed heavy shock cav should panic and run if left in contact without cycle charging against expendable poo poo infantry that don't even have a bonus to large good point

I'm not complaining about the difficulty in general, I play VH / legendary because I like the challenge, I'm just saying that adding a flat leadership bonus to everything has some pretty weird / dumb break points. IE: it makes goblins stick around even when they get charged from behind by shock cav, it makes enemy trolls really loving good, it makes basically all dwarfs fight to the last man. There's probably better / less lazy ways to add difficulty

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 2, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

That said battle difficulty setting at VH is genuinely tough. The AI leadership bonus/player penalties are really serious

Because im a bitchboy who hates losing i use that mod that removes morale penalties/buffs in battles making it all equal numbers. Apparently the AI tries harder on VH and thats why i have the mod rather than just sliding it back to "normal" in the menus.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

terrorist ambulance posted:

yes "lmao" indeed heavy shock cav should panic and run if left in contact without cycle charging against expendable poo poo infantry that don't even have a bonus to large good point

Orc boar boys aren't "real" heavy shock cav in that their charge bonus is good, but they have little armour, low damage and all around crappy stats. If the goblin unit turns around, they'll beat a unit of orc boar boys. A proper heavy shock cavalry unit is something more like a unit of Reiksguard or knights of the realm. Those units would kill enough goblins on the charge to then pull through and their stats make it so they don't die back. Think of orc boar boys more like very light shock cavalry.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Managed to finally grab the game for $61 AUD, which is not bad considering it's like $75 in stores, and it came with Chaos Warriors even this late since purchase.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trujillo posted:

There's a discord a few of us have been using to organize a few casual matches that anyone can join, you can use it to organize the tournament too if you want so you don't have to make a new one:

https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ

Discord is giving people free poo poo for shilling for a bad app. Reconsider.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Yukitsu posted:

Orc boar boys aren't "real" heavy shock cav in that their charge bonus is good, but they have little armour, low damage and all around crappy stats. If the goblin unit turns around, they'll beat a unit of orc boar boys. A proper heavy shock cavalry unit is something more like a unit of Reiksguard or knights of the realm. Those units would kill enough goblins on the charge to then pull through and their stats make it so they don't die back. Think of orc boar boys more like very light shock cavalry.

The true heavy shock cav for Greenskins are trolls. You dont even have to pull them back yourself, becouse they will do it automatically when their morale breaks ten seconds after a charge and they run away. :v:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Grognan posted:

Sorry you dont like free software friend

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Seems that Blood Knights are only a 2-turn recruit time. Seems odd for such a high-tier unit.
Can they grind away like Demigryphs, or are they more shock-cavalry?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

420 Gank Mid posted:

Sorry you dont like free software friend

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

They have enough armor to stand a bit of a grind but their best use is in the charge with their lances. And holy gently caress can they charge. A unit of mine killed 20 marauders in its first run, bodies flying everywhere. That plus the 2 turn recruitment and the fact that they're hardly more expensive in upkeep than the Hexwraiths makes them a hell of a deal.

Watched one of my Blood Knights lean slightly and make a quick thrust with his lance arm to skewer a marauder. The animations are really well done, and with the blood pack the battles are intense.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Grognan posted:

Lollllllll what does that have to do with how the app works tho

Edit--like God this is so dumb. "this company is marketing their product which is free and easier to use than anything else on the market!!! Bewair!"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grimgor just told me that I'm lucky to still be breathing.
Nobody tell him anything. I want to see if he figures it out.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Ammanas posted:

1) build your economy and tech up
2) have 3 decent+ armies
3) declare war on everyone

The proper Orky way to do it - I just finished an Orc campaign on hard where, once I'd mopped up Chaos for the ungrateful sods, all the continental races including the Vampires formed a grand alliance to try and take me down.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Why are 99% of the battle maps almost completely flat and boring?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It is the Uber of voip and it doesn't work well and it bundles with adware. The incentive program has them shilling it everywhere they can. It is not a good product.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Yukitsu posted:

Hey Olive, that was a pretty good match. If you want, I saved the replay, I could do a commentary on it if you want me to.
Go for it, though I don't think my 2 AM playing merits much commenting other than "what was with this unit composition, what was with that control of his units?" :razz:

That said, you certainly played much better than me, I guess my hit-and-run was wasted and my units took too many arrows to the face.

Also, holy crap are Vampire Counts even more annoying to fight now. Two necromancers and a crapton of Crypt Horrors and Wraiths means I can't kill anything when Nehek goes off. That is such a powerful spell now.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Idk, I feel that like 80% of all my battles end up in dense forests terrain with giant hills and vallyes everywhere, just to screw me over from efficiantly using all the artillery, ranged and cav that im fielding, I loving cheer whenever I end up on a flat map.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Battle maps depend on where you are on the campaign map. There will usually be at least some token hills around, and even a slight bit of terrain can mess up flat trajectories like organ guns.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

The true heavy shock cav for Greenskins are trolls. You dont even have to pull them back yourself, becouse they will do it automatically when their morale breaks ten seconds after a charge and they run away. :v:

I do feel like orcs are sort of missing one real quality murder unit which isn't lateish game like the spider.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
I am enjoying this game so much. First game playing as Empire, juggling friendships and treaties. Utilizing hero abilities makes generals feel so much more integral, and the fact that they can actually play a starring role in any fight now is fantastic.

Mortars are an unexpected pleasure. They kill a bunch of dudes each fight, they do morale damage(I think) and they go off with very satisfying effect.

The AI is much much improved I feel, I've never had to pay attention to my ranged so much before.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Some of the Steam achievements for this are super buggy. I just got "Down in the Underway at Midnight" aka "win 5 underway battles in a single campaign" - for winning my first underway battle of the campaign. Presumably it was counting my other Greenskins game as well which doesn't seem how that's supposed to function. On the flip side, last time I occupied Karaz-a-Karak almost straight away since the Dwarfs left it unprotected and the achievement never popped. Not a big deal (MY CHEEVES) but still.

Played Vamps, enjoyed it (especially following in Chaos' wake, carrion-like, hoovering up all the razed parts of the Empire) but it all fell apart about a hundred turns in. It feels like there's too many directions for things to come from and I didn't really manage my backfield properly. Decided on another Greenskins playthrough to try and do things a bit more optimally now that I know how the game actually works (unlike my previous file where for example I didn't realise that the groups of 4 skills typically have 3 ranks each). Having a lot of fun with it!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Light school is pretty drat good with Molay's mod: didn't realize that the net spell will snare everything around the targeted unit, not just the unit itself. Was hilariously tragic when a snared Marauder Horsemen unit that was getting shot to pieces inadvertently trapped its fellow warriors between it and my advancing melee line as they got routed by them.

The healing + vigour restoration spell is also really good for buffing Franz when you send him ahead of your lines to tank enemies. I imagine it + a Seed of Restoration would let your ranged units dump an ungodly amount of firepower on anything stupid enough to get stuck on Franz.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I do not have this experience. I feel that 80% of maps have mountains, forests and/or steep hills that I have to plan around. I could stand more flat maps.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does your number of defensive or military alliances effect how likely a single enemy is to declare war on you?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I do not have this experience. I feel that 80% of maps have mountains, forests and/or steep hills that I have to plan around. I could stand more flat maps.

It does need a lot more variation in my opinion. The lack of river/bridge battles in particular feels weird.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Grognan posted:

It is the Uber of voip and it doesn't work well and it bundles with adware. The incentive program has them shilling it everywhere they can. It is not a good product.

Both Uber and Discord own actually

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Grognan posted:

Really?

Got a link to Discord installing adware?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The voices in his head don't have a website.

There's one reddit post complaining about difficulty uninstalling. That's all that googly showed me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Couple things i wasn't sure about reading the OP --

If starting as Empire, what's a good way to build your emperor franz dude?

Any advice on the strategic map? Are non-combat victories possible?

is it worth it to hunt down and crush fleeing enemies at the end of fights or should i just let them go

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 2, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Grognan posted:

What paid software do you use that Discord seems like it doesnt work well? Its miles better in terms of voice quality, bandwith and cpu usage compared to every free voip ive tried. Lots of settings, actively updated, and has a great ui. So its miles ahead of any paid voip ive ever used as well.

I realize the rest of your post is literal insanity, but im hoping you can back this claim up.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

is it worth it to hunt down and crush fleeing enemies at the end of fights or should i just let them go

Franz will unlock naturally and via quests powerful weapons and Deathclaw, destroyer of worlds. So if you build combat on him he will be a laughably powerful one man army. If you build either other tree, he will still be one of the strongest generals in the game. I personally recommend the leadership line(red iirc) because it buffs your infantry that you will probably have until the game ends.

No non-combat victories. The usual start is to take over province to your North West because its a huge money maker. Then pick one or two factions to ally with and fight their wars for them to gain land. Then you can confederate your ally.

If you mean during the battle, its useful to gain experience to buff your guys up. If you mean after, on the strategic map, definitely finish them off so they dont return and bite you in the rear end.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 2, 2016

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Nasgate posted:

No non-combat victories. The usual start is to take over province to your North East because its a huge money maker. Then pick one or two factions to ally with and fight their wars for them to gain land. Then you can confederate your ally.

If you mean Marienburg, that's on Reikland's western border.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

I usually go through the red line with Franz. Human lords aren't super Tanky, and Franz on deathclaw is still plenty strong. Perhaps add some defensive combat skills on him.

I'm not sure what you mean with your second questions. There is diplomacy in the game with trade and allies. You can also confederate with certain factions, thus peacefully absorbing them into you.

Aside from what Nasgate said about routing troops. Keep in mind that "broken" units will probably return to the fight, while "shattered" units are gone for the battle. Thus it can be a good idea to keep chasing a broken unit if you want to keep it from returning.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The Chaos campaign feels less like you're Archaon the Antichrist and more like Archaon is going on a long road trip but he really sucks at planning. Are there any mods that just let me play as the Varg or Skaeling?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
^ Long unplanned road trip actually described Archaon's life perfectly.

Olive Branch posted:

Go for it, though I don't think my 2 AM playing merits much commenting other than "what was with this unit composition, what was with that control of his units?" :razz:

That said, you certainly played much better than me, I guess my hit-and-run was wasted and my units took too many arrows to the face.

Also, holy crap are Vampire Counts even more annoying to fight now. Two necromancers and a crapton of Crypt Horrors and Wraiths means I can't kill anything when Nehek goes off. That is such a powerful spell now.

The composition was actually pretty OK, it's not too far off from what I'd take. The only thing that went really wrong for you was you sort of let your cavalry get hammered in a match where your big advantage was you had a much better cavalry wing than I did. Since I had a bit more infantry, a lot more shooting but you had a lot more cav, especially if you include the arachnarok, you kinda didn't take the win on the cav front.

I've been getting those wraith necromancer balls too but I haven't been having a hard time dealing with it. It depends on faction I'm using but I feel like every faction can deal with it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Get enough points in red to max out "honest steel" - it gives large, flat bonuses to swordsmen and turns them into very cost effective and relatively tough infantry.

Then go far enough in the blue line to get lightning strike - it allows you to attack armies without them receiving reinforcements, which is valuable because usually you're outnumbered by the AI.

Then either return to the red line to pick up points in pistolkorps (enhances the effectiveness of your ranged infantry) and the morale boost actives (rally, hold the line) or just go straight down the combat line and pick up +hp, +melee defence, and +weapon strength skills as well as the actives. Don't buy a horse / pegasus until you can get Deathclaw.

On the strategic map - make allies / trade agreements early, because once you become larger you have to pay huge amounts of money to get them to even consider trading with you. Just keep an eye on diplomacy - you're centrally located as the empire and if everyone declares war on you at once it can suck. Get the port in Marienburg (west of your starting point) built up and build Reikland into a recruiting / income centre - everywhere else, try to build growth, income, and garrison buildings. Level 2 garrisons add walls to cities and can usually fight off a stack on their own, and will give you time to get an army there to rescue them, and also seem to hugely discourage the AI from attacking, so they're very valuable even though they take up a spot. When population is maxed out in your province, make sure to delete the buildings and replace them with something else.

On whether it's worth catching fleeing enemies - if they're only "routed", they'll come back to the fight, so yes you should keep up the pressure to make sure they don't come back. If the whole army is "shattered" and the win screen pops up, it's still worth chasing them down if you have fast troops capable of it - often a defeated army will withdraw a couple moves after a lost fight, but will still retain all the troops that didn't actually die in the battle. If you kill as many as you can while they're running away from you on the battle screen, you don't have to face them again in the new battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, so am I trying too hard with Dwarves if I try and grab the Pillars on the first turn? Is it not going to end well for me?

• Locked thread