Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

the trick to the gaia guardian is to stack as much run speed as you can muster, buff up with absorption and hit mans potions, and just run around the arena like a spastic toddler trying to hit the thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

the trick to the gaia guardian is to stack as much run speed as you can muster, buff up with absorption and hit mans potions, and just run around the arena like a spastic toddler trying to hit the thing

in blightfall i did it easily.
This one i had no enchantments no my armour so it was tough. Even now i have some protection it isnt that good. The botania pots are good though. I'll load up a game soon and see if i can screen cap my killing myself.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you've got Thaumcraft alongside your Botania, the Shock Focus trivializes the Gaia Guardian if you're at all comfortable with first person shooters. Do Potency 4 with Chain Lightning. If I'm not mistaken it's hitscan (or its projectile is so fast it feels like it) and the Gaia Guardian won't dodge it, and the Chain Lightning will fry all of its adds.

Bonus points if you have Blood Magic, you can use Teleposers to move nodes without damaging them so it's really easy to bring in a couple nodes (or one good node) to charge your wand up between fights.

E: I know TC5 replaced nodes with Aura or something, how does that actually work? I haven't started playing with TC5 yet.

Magres fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 30, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

E: I know TC5 replaced nodes with Aura or something, how does that actually work? I haven't started playing with TC5 yet.

There are still "nodes", but they are mosty indestructible and exist for the most part separately from the physical world. Nodes "replenish" the aura and flow around to an extent. the 8 chunks around a chunk that has an entropy node will very quickly replenish entropy in the aura, but the further you go from a node, the less vis will flow to that area. Meaning it is entirely possible to deplete a certain type of vis in chunks. Nodes can be grown from silverwoods, but nodes that are too close will attract each other and one will eat the other. This won't be a problem if you have a node that has all the types of vis in it and you want it to grow, but if it doesn't then you've just lost a node permanently. Pure nodes will remove flux from the aura, but it destroys itself in the process.

As for wands, they only draw vis from the aura in your hand, if you have the research, in your hotbar. the specialized wands like the reed wand will recharge themselves to 50% even if there is no vis of that type in the aura. Staves and scepters get massive discounts over wands. Also a void capped primal staff is still impossible without cheating it in.

Taint is not much of a problem, but you may want to intentionally horribly taint an area for taint shards because alot of things are gated behind requiring tainted shards and a bunch of higher things require taint essentia. There is an alchemy research for making tainted shards but it needs alot of taint essentia for it.

Also the bosses in the thaumcraft dungeons will gently caress you up if you don't cheese the poo poo out of them, and they will also go supersayan if you damage them too quickly, the boss rooms also have anti-cheese measures in them as well.

One last thing, melting items into essentia has 80% efficiency meaning 1 out of every 5 essentia is lost, but they made it so you don't need pipes ever again for most things.

Also alot of things make flux so if you aren't farming silverwoods meticulously for pure nodes the taint will literally destroy the land and everything in it because taint in this version completely obliterates blocks.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Magres posted:

If you've got Thaumcraft alongside your Botania, the Shock Focus trivializes the Gaia Guardian if you're at all comfortable with first person shooters. Do Potency 4 with Chain Lightning. If I'm not mistaken it's hitscan (or its projectile is so fast it feels like it) and the Gaia Guardian won't dodge it, and the Chain Lightning will fry all of its adds.

Bonus points if you have Blood Magic, you can use Teleposers to move nodes without damaging them so it's really easy to bring in a couple nodes (or one good node) to charge your wand up between fights.

Done and done. Its how i defeated it. though i just moved a node using the jarring.
Im finding not having decent enchants on armour the main problem. But swigging some botania hp pots is easy and works. (im almost tempted to add in the TC4 mod that gives the osmotic enchanter.

Got enough gaia essence to make the 12 end portals, got there and the end was skyblock too :/ So there goes my idea of mining the end for endstone to get draconic ingots.

Of course all this fades away once i get 3 awakened draconic ingots to make the FRTools dimension builder. But that is a pain in itself.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

Done and done. Its how i defeated it. though i just moved a node using the jarring.
Im finding not having decent enchants on armour the main problem. But swigging some botania hp pots is easy and works. (im almost tempted to add in the TC4 mod that gives the osmotic enchanter.

Got enough gaia essence to make the 12 end portals, got there and the end was skyblock too :/ So there goes my idea of mining the end for endstone to get draconic ingots.

Of course all this fades away once i get 3 awakened draconic ingots to make the FRTools dimension builder. But that is a pain in itself.

Iirc, if you throw a botania bottle of ender air, it converts a ton of nearby stone into endstone. That's probably your best bet.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

senae posted:

Iirc, if you throw a botania bottle of ender air, it converts a ton of nearby stone into endstone. That's probably your best bet.

ohh this is didnt know. I will have to try it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

100% correct.

But the mobs that spawn after arent. Plus it has been happening well before any of this fight.

And no, no flames about anything that returns fire.

Is there some weird TInker's Construct mod on your bow or arrows that does damage to you as you use it?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

Is there some weird TInker's Construct mod on your bow or arrows that does damage to you as you use it?

nope. They literally turn around and come back at me. I can see them. I originally thought it was skeletons, but i ruled that out when it was happening against zombies only. Normally i just carry on if i died to it, but when i died to the gaia fight i looked over my logs and i killed myself with my enderium bolt.

Ive since then put a bit of projectile protection on my armour and now i dont die in 1 or two hits from myself.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

nope. They literally turn around and come back at me. I can see them. I originally thought it was skeletons, but i ruled that out when it was happening against zombies only. Normally i just carry on if i died to it, but when i died to the gaia fight i looked over my logs and i killed myself with my enderium bolt.

Ive since then put a bit of projectile protection on my armour and now i dont die in 1 or two hits from myself.

if you shoot a mob that's in the middle of taking damage (might not count stuff like fire but minecraft's code is a garbage fire so WHO KNOWS) your projectile will bounce off. That's probably what you're seeing.

Is your crossbow a gattling gun? that might be your problem, try shooting a bit slower.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

Didn't you post something about a magnum torch earlier? I vaguely recall from the Void World pack that magnum torches deflect arrows shot by skeletons, are you shooting directly at your magnum torch and getting hit by the deflecting arrow?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

chrisf posted:

Didn't you post something about a magnum torch earlier? I vaguely recall from the Void World pack that magnum torches deflect arrows shot by skeletons, are you shooting directly at your magnum torch and getting hit by the deflecting arrow?

Don't you mean interdiction torches? And it was that they *don't* deflect arrows. ...wait, I'm thinking of a different modpack. One where you had to make a base in the Deep Dark and all the light sources were nerfed.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Don't you mean interdiction torches? And it was that they *don't* deflect arrows. ...wait, I'm thinking of a different modpack. One where you had to make a base in the Deep Dark and all the light sources were nerfed.

Obscurity.

Fun pack, once you get past the facegrindingly hard opening part (big hint: the pit they tell you to build in is a total death trap, just dig yourself a hole in the ground nearby). I really enjoyed having to trek across the Underdark and dot the landscape with little outposts to keep the darkness from killing me. At one point Taffer and I went on a real long expedition together and got our outpost blueprint down to a science, to the point that we could slap one together out of cobble, without getting in each other's way, in like 10 seconds flat.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 30, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
A reminder for the Sky Factory mod: End Cake exists as part of one of the Ex A/N/C mods and requires fairly easy to obtain materials. You regenerate the cake with eyes of ender then eat it to teleport to the end, no complicated end portal shenanigans required.

e. The mod it's from is Ex Astris

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 1, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Mobs taking damage might be the cause, though it doesnt explain the deaths in the gaia fight as the mobs then werent taking damage.

My xbow isnt too fast. Its about 1s or just under in terms of firing. The bolts are typically a 1 hit kill, so unless the mob is taking a bolt and living?

Magnum torch is new. Only put it up for the gaia fight as i use the main spawn area for that.

Might look at the end cake thing. But there are about 3 different skyfactory 2.5 packs out there and they arent all the same.
Pack im on has 2 obsidian flanking a gaia spirit for 1 portal frame. The gaia battle drops 8 spirits, so you need to do the fight twice.

The ender air bottles worked a charm. Ive got a stone platform i just convert to endstone, then equal trade it up for more stone. Now i need to learn this draconian stuff.

(oh i also have an ender dragon flying around my main base in the overworld. It hatched from an egg and is apparently a mount? how do i tame it?)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Update, this pack does have the end cake and it works. Awesome. sort of ...

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
So I've built my FTB Infinity Evolved base in an RFTools dimension and I need around 1300 rf/t to keep it running.

What I want to do is to have a completely independent power source powering it in the overworld that will never require any maintenance or input from me (so no deletable fuel, etc.) so I can just leave it and never think about it again.

What would be the best way to go about that? I was thinking solar panels, but any panel good enough to put out that amount of power is not just expensive to craft but ridiculously fiddly and time consuming without an autocrafter set up. They also have the limitation of only generating power during the day. I also thought of a tree farm but I'd rather not go that route cause it can cause lag.

Any ideas?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr Scumbag posted:

So I've built my FTB Infinity Evolved base in an RFTools dimension and I need around 1300 rf/t to keep it running.

What I want to do is to have a completely independent power source powering it in the overworld that will never require any maintenance or input from me (so no deletable fuel, etc.) so I can just leave it and never think about it again.

What would be the best way to go about that? I was thinking solar panels, but any panel good enough to put out that amount of power is not just expensive to craft but ridiculously fiddly and time consuming without an autocrafter set up. They also have the limitation of only generating power during the day. I also thought of a tree farm but I'd rather not go that route cause it can cause lag.

Any ideas?

A second RFTools dimension, always raining, always thundering. Dig down to bedrock and put a Immersive Engineering lightning rod there. Run steel fence all the way up and fill the entire top layer of that chunk in more steel fence. You'll start getting lightning strikes every minute or so for 16m rf/ea, and you can hook more lightning rods to the fence grid in the sky if you need power faster. Drop your favorite chunkloader in that chunk, add a tesseract, and you're good.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

A second RFTools dimension, always raining, always thundering. Dig down to bedrock and put a Immersive Engineering lightning rod there. Run steel fence all the way up and fill the entire top layer of that chunk in more steel fence. You'll start getting lightning strikes every minute or so for 16m rf/ea, and you can hook more lightning rods to the fence grid in the sky if you need power faster. Drop your favorite chunkloader in that chunk, add a tesseract, and you're good.

Holy poo poo. 16m RF??? Seriously? Guess I've found my overall power generation for this playthrough. Goodbye, big reactor.

Thanks!

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

ah! another overwatch player

You could have just said that potency 4 with chain lightning turns you into winston

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

So here I am again. I've finally gotten the age up and running and the lightning rod base built. Despite it using RF, it won't connect to Thermal Dynamics fluxducts. What's the easiest way get around that?

Edit: For clarification, I want to use this lightning rod to charge a resonant energy cell, but I have no clue about how to do that.

Edit2: Nevermind, I figured it out. Like a lot of things in modded Minecraft, it was a complete fuckabout but it's all good now.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 1, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Apparently, this can be a thing. It was ... interesting to clear out. This is in a world generated with biomes of plenty on the Material Energy Natural Capital mod. Hostile mobs can't spawn naturally on the overworld, and the spawners were pumping out baby mobs. 2 zombie spawners making baby zombies riding mutant chickens, and 1 skeleton and 1 spider spawner.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Dalris Othaine posted:

That makes sense :v: thanks for pointing me in the right direction

No problem. I didn't want to favor one over the other or anything, though I will mention that - since there's appeal to getting in on the ground floor - that I think Disasterpiece theatre is maybe resetting/starting over shortly.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Just started Sky Factory 2.5 last night using the Garden of Glass map, and it's been fun so far. The extra stuff from GoG (a bunch of grass and a few blocks of living root) really helped accelerate the slow start of a sky block.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Is there any way to tone down the spawning of blue slimes?
I guess there is some ID conflict between biomes o plenty and twilight forest so they spawn in the overworld and man, there are loving shitloads of these things around.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

TheresaJayne posted:

ah! another overwatch player

You could have just said that potency 4 with chain lightning turns you into winston

Haha I hadn't started playing Overwatch yet when I wrote that. I have since become horribly addicted to Tracer because BLINK BLINK BLINK shitshithshit REWIND is super fun.

Now I really want a mod that gives me Tracer's dashes

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Magres posted:

Haha I hadn't started playing Overwatch yet when I wrote that. I have since become horribly addicted to Tracer because BLINK BLINK BLINK shitshithshit REWIND is super fun.

I was watching Wyld's stream of some modpack they were testing for one of the new Minecraft versions, and he had a slime slingshot that you held down and then let go to launch you in the opposite direction from where you were looking REALLY fast. He also had slime boots that let him bounce and keep momentum on falling from height. So he would line up where he was going, turn 180 degrees and look down, then cross his fingers that there wasn't lava at the end. Was very amusing to watch, in reality probably much more frustrating than flying. But neat overall.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Magres posted:

With the Ender IO Staff of Travelling, right clicking while sneaking does a short blink like Tracer's ability. Unlimited uses until you run out of RF. You can also use it to fly in an awkward sawtooth pattern.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ImpactVector posted:

Just started Sky Factory 2.5 last night using the Garden of Glass map, and it's been fun so far. The extra stuff from GoG (a bunch of grass and a few blocks of living root) really helped accelerate the slow start of a sky block.

It is very nice. And i love the sky, it is actually interesting. Sneak punching dirt for stones is by far the best improvement though. (also the sneak squatting on trees to make them grow faster is pretty cool too) Dirt is just too valuable in an early skyblock to waste sifting for stones.

I ended up building a 2nd reactor last night in order to charge my draconian blocks :/ Getting closer and closer to a new dimension.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

bbcisdabomb posted:

I thought that the lightning rod was super nerfed after an update a few months back.
My preferred resource-free power in SF2.5 is a stack of Immersive Engineering thermoelectric generators using water and blazing pyrotheum. I think I have 80 or so generating 2,400 RF/t.

central dogma fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 2, 2016

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

central dogma posted:

I thought that the lightning rod was super nerfed after an update a few months back.
My preferred resource-free power in SF2.5 is a stack of Immersive Engineering thermoelectric generators using water and blazing pyrotheum. I think I have 80 or so generating 2,400 RF/t.

I've just spent the night doing what I can to make the lightning rod a viable overall power source, but it doesn't seem like a good bet. It's great for powering a few dimensions, for sure, but the limited output of 4096RF seems to be a total dealbreaker, even with 9 of them running together. They can't power my currently very modest base as well as my badass ender quarry without losing power in the buffer.

Now that I have a really stable solution to power my base dimension I'm looking for a really high output means of power generation. The kind where I can set it up and never have to worry about running low again.

I've made a maximum-size Big Reactor before, and that's viable, but it was a huge amount of work, requiring me to build infrastructure just for the construction for the materials, which was kind of cool but now I just want to generate a huge amount of power with minimal lag and time investment.

Considering I'm running FTB Infinity Evolved, what is my best bet? I'm thinking it might be withers, but I've had a considerable amount of trouble getting wither farms performing reliably in the past and they can be extremely resource intensive and time consuming to ever attempt.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Considering I'm running FTB Infinity Evolved, what is my best bet? I'm thinking it might be withers, but I've had a considerable amount of trouble getting wither farms performing reliably in the past and they can be extremely resource intensive and time consuming to ever attempt.

The generators that run on food - culinary generator and its upgrades - are very good for a renewable source of power. I ran a medium Ender Quarry off of a one-chunk garlic and eggplant farm to make stuffed eggplant. If you get fancier with your food, or have a larger farm, you can get pretty ridiculous with it. You do have a pretty hefty investment up front to make the higher tier generators.

To make farms more efficient, make sure to max out your plant using Agricraft breeding, and you can use Agricraft sprinklers covering the roof of your farm to speed things up dramatically.

I avoid using culinary gens because it's kind of like cheating. I prefer the aesthetic of having a resource like yellorium. When you're at the point of making ludicrous power, you can create mining dimensions to get enough yellorium to do whatever you need.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've just spent the night doing what I can to make the lightning rod a viable overall power source, but it doesn't seem like a good bet. It's great for powering a few dimensions, for sure, but the limited output of 4096RF seems to be a total dealbreaker, even with 9 of them running together. They can't power my currently very modest base as well as my badass ender quarry without losing power in the buffer.

Stupid question, but do you have the lighting generators hooked up directly to tesseracks without any conduits inbetween? or is this a limitation of the lighting generator of it's limited power output?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr Scumbag posted:

I have no idea where you're getting the 4096rf/t drain issue, mine are hooked to a tesseract on a Mekanism induction cell and drain in about two seconds. In my test world with a better cell it drains in one tick. Maybe check your power line? Or maybe it's been nerfed more on your pack, I'm still on Ferret Business.

central dogma posted:

The lightning rod was nerfed to generate its own lightning strikes instead of intercepting normal lightning strikes. Before you could use a weather obelisk or a blood magic ritual to generate lightning on-command for 16mrf per strike per rod, which may have been a little broken. Now they basically just generate a charge every so often and play the lightning strike sound effect.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

bbcisdabomb posted:

I have no idea where you're getting the 4096rf/t drain issue, mine are hooked to a tesseract on a Mekanism induction cell and drain in about two seconds. In my test world with a better cell it drains in one tick. Maybe check your power line? Or maybe it's been nerfed more on your pack, I'm still on Ferret Business.

Mr Scumbag posted:

So here I am again. I've finally gotten the age up and running and the lightning rod base built. Despite it using RF, it won't connect to Thermal Dynamics fluxducts. What's the easiest way get around that?

Edit: For clarification, I want to use this lightning rod to charge a resonant energy cell, but I have no clue about how to do that.

Edit2: Nevermind, I figured it out. Like a lot of things in modded Minecraft, it was a complete fuckabout but it's all good now.

This might be why. Mr Scumbag mentioned connecting the lightning rod with a fluxduct; it should have a tesseract connected directly to it and another on primary power storage.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

bbcisdabomb posted:

The lightning rod was nerfed to generate its own lightning strikes instead of intercepting normal lightning strikes. Before you could use a weather obelisk or a blood magic ritual to generate lightning on-command for 16mrf per strike per rod, which may have been a little broken. Now they basically just generate a charge every so often and play the lightning strike sound effect.

Ah, so that's how the lightning rod works. Got it. And Scumbag, I'm sure you figured out your lightning rod by now with the tesseracts, but just FYI, my thermoelectric setup is expandable in any direction and is super cheap, so you could make as much passive RF as you want. A buddy of mine is making 16 kRF/t, I think, though his setup is a bit of an eyesore. I've moved on to a steam turbine with a 5x5x1 reactor that only burns 0.05 mB yellorium a tick. At that rate, it may as well be passive lol.

central dogma fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 2, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Devor posted:

I avoid using culinary gens because it's kind of like cheating. I prefer the aesthetic of having a resource like yellorium. When you're at the point of making ludicrous power, you can create mining dimensions to get enough yellorium to do whatever you need.
Except in Infinity Expert, Big Reactors require this loving IC2 fuel pellet thing to craft, which itself requires plutonium, which you can only get with long, drawn out waiting using the lovely IC2 nuke reactor or the replicator which is even messier.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I just made my rftool dimension builder in SF2.5. And all the worlds it makes are also void worlds. Is this meant to be? I ended up setting the config to false so i actually got some worlds to spawn.

Or was i just putting my dimlets in the wrong order?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

I just made my rftool dimension builder in SF2.5. And all the worlds it makes are also void worlds. Is this meant to be? I ended up setting the config to false so i actually got some worlds to spawn.

Or was i just putting my dimlets in the wrong order?
I can't tell you about specifics as I never played it, but skyblock packs do have ways to try to make every dimension generated be a void dimension. IIRC there was some mod to override the default generator, so anything that would defer to that would just get void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Well that's embarrassing. I wasted so much time making cryo fluxducts and arranging the lightning rods just so for all the cables and poo poo.

Now I'm going directly into tesseracts and everything is great. Thanks.

I still remember reading somewhere that the lightning rod base couldn't output faster than 4096rf/t. If it weren't for that misinformation...