Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MGS4 is a masterpiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

beepstreet posted:

I'm actually really excited to end my playthrough with 4. It's been awhile since I've played through it all. I love how insanely brutal the future of the MGS universe feels. The sterile, vaguely sinister PMC ads over loudspeaker in the middle of the battlefield, Old Snake dealing with freakish drones and super futurist technology, private military nanomachines controlling every soldier down to their emotions, awesome and terrifying.

Kojima's take on cyberpunk capitalist dystopia was so loving good and fresh and cool

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

In Training posted:

MGS4 is a masterpiece

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
If you like Kojima doing a dystopia play Snatcher, it was my favorite game of his for a little while

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got MGS1 on an emulator ready to go when I get home. Wish I still had a PS1 but what can you do. I did a test run a few weeks ago and it looks good and runs fast.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its an amazing looking game too. i mean every chapter had to be installed individually lol but god was it worth it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bobnumerotres posted:

its an amazing looking game too. i mean every chapter had to be installed individually lol but god was it worth it

im glad i got the current version where i could just let snake smoke a carton while i do something else and install it all

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ol yeller posted:

If you like Kojima doing a dystopia play Snatcher, it was my favorite game of his for a little while

Snatcher was fun but falls under cookie cutter cyberpunk by leaning so hard on its blade runner inspiration. I really liked how MGS4 took some of the classic cyperpunk themes and explored them in battlefield settings that you'd never find in a William Gibson novel, and made them fresh and relevant by having the all-powerful ungovernable corporations be PMCs

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

acksplode posted:

Snatcher was fun but falls under cookie cutter cyberpunk by leaning so hard on its blade runner inspiration.
This is what allows it to be good. It uses a familiar cyberpunk world so it can focus on telling a good detective story without having to constantly fill the player in on setting details.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is what allows it to be good. It uses a familiar cyberpunk world so it can focus on telling a good detective story without having to constantly fill the player in on setting details.

It needed a cookie cutter cyberpunk setting so it could tell a cookie cutter noir detective story, both of which were lifted from Blade Runner? o____O

edit: I'm not saying Snatcher is bad, I fuckin loved it when I played it on a sega cd emulator in college, but it's not masterful storytelling. It's a cool fun game in a cool fun setting

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"This genre work uses the genre's conventions well. That's bad." - a moron

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry that was unreasonable, I'm reading too much Games.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

"This genre work uses the genre's conventions well. That's bad." - a moron

I'm arguing that it didn't use the genre's conventions well so much as just regurgitate them, and contrasting it with MGS4, which did use them in a very interesting way

edit: no worries bruh

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

acksplode posted:

I'm arguing that it didn't use the genre's conventions well so much as just regurgitate them, and contrasting it with MGS4, which did use them in a very interesting way

edit: no worries bruh

It did more than regurgitate them. To say that's all it did is to deny Kojimas genius, and that will only lead to me destroying you.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It good blade runners story, but better. So which is the true genius?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Black Baby Goku posted:

*turning away from chalkboard with 1+1=3 on it* it all makes sense!

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

PRO TIP: Using a fake death pill in above knee high water will kill you for real

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

beepstreet posted:

PRO TIP: Using a fake death pill in above knee high water will kill you for real

ALSO TIP: you can use this to skip the sorrows battle if youre doing a speedrun/going for Foxhound rank

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Black Baby Goku posted:

I like how the hardboiled cop wants to gently caress his buddys 14 year old daughter. kojima ftw

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HolePisser1982 posted:

I like how the hardboiled cop wants to gently caress his buddys 14 year old daughter. kojima ftw

Realism was his strong suit

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lmao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

that was a 9/11 edit but i headcanon that new yorkers have seen it all

New Yorker as Arsenal Gear crushes several city blocks: Hey!!! I'm walkin here!!!!!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

New Yorker as Arsenal Gear crushes several city blocks: Hey!!! I'm walkin here!!!!!!!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

goferchan posted:

Lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

goferchan posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As cool as snatcher may look the gameplay is SEGA cd era lightgun crap with a controller so it will always suck

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

In Training posted:

As cool as snatcher may look the gameplay is SEGA cd era lightgun crap with a controller so it will always suck

Actually it owns.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

Never played Snatcher but I emulated Policenauts on a PSP years ago and it's a pretty fun VN with some memorable art/settings. There's some shooting stuff but as far as I can remember it's infrequent and extremely easy

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

In Training posted:

Thats like 5% of the game

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

For the second time in a row I ran out of tranq round and had to resort to kicking The End to finish him off. Next time I'm gonna plant TNT on him

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

goferchan posted:

lol

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
"Metal Gear Solid 3 is a rail shooter, and it suffers because of it." - That's how loving crazy it is to call Snatcher a lightgun game. gently caress you

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Hideo Kojima is just ripping off blade runner durrrrr. The greatest artist in the history of a medium is just stealing from a director who made fewer than 5 great movies in his entire 35+ year career. I have AIDs and love Blizzard and EA.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Snatcher has a great story and setting but is really tedious to actually play, unfortunately

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

mycophobia posted:

Snatcher has a great story and setting but is really tedious to actually play, unfortunately

Prepare to die.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mycophobia posted:

Didn't it play more like an "adventure game" with an inventory and verbs and stuff ? Can't look it up right now but I think that's what I remember seeing. Policenauts is more like a straight VN with a couple Ace Attorney investigation style areas where you have to click on stuff to advance iirc. It's a cool story I like how "light" it is in terms of the sci fi elements. Like there's space travel but everyone still has to wear big bulky gently caress-off spacesuits and stress over gravity and stuff all the time. It felt really grounded, in a good way, and I liked how it told a pretty straightforward film noire detective story that just happened to mostly take place in space

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ol yeller posted:

Hideo Kojima is just ripping off blade runner durrrrr. The greatest artist in the history of a medium is just stealing from a director who made fewer than 5 great movies in his entire 35+ year career. I have AIDs and love Blizzard and EA.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

• Locked thread