Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

So in Remember11, one of the main characters actually physically changes shape and looks completely different from how he's supposed to because you saw the dude design on the boxart and assumed that was him.

wasn't that ever17, or does uchikoshi just go that well a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Cake Attack posted:

wasn't that ever17, or does uchikoshi just go that well a lot

No no, in Ever17 the appearance of one of the main characters was always different and you just couldn't see him from inside his face. In Remember11 there's actually a body-shift.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why else would they freeze Phi other than knowing she was patient zero for Radical 6 and thus already had the disease? I find it hard to believe Akane the timelord does not know this, seeing as she knew to gas Sigma before the Mars test site to set everything in motion.

She might know that Phi needed to be frozen to preserve the timeline, but that might be it. Kind of like how the only reason Lotus was in 999 was because Akane foresaw she had to be there (and I guess to tell Junpei what prosopagnosia is).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

No no, in Ever17 the appearance of one of the main characters was always different and you just couldn't see him from inside his face. In Remember11 there's actually a body-shift.

man i don't remember anything about what happened in remember11

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
How do you like your coffee?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I was gonna explain more about Remember11 but then I realized that explaining that game's plot makes me feel high.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
hi friends i just beat this great game. boy what a ride! im very sad eric didnt die a lot more onscreen but we can't always get what we want and i had a whale of a time regardless.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i mean it was also loving retarded but sometimes that's a plus, like my boy carlos Kool-Aid Manning through the wall to save all of reality. get 'em, carlos!!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Carlos is a Real American Hero.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I agree that the connection to VLR has problems, especially in regard to Akane. I guess some of it can be handwaved away by her being a Batman-level mastermind with a literal 45-year plan and keeping everyone else on a strictly need-to-know basis, but then that's a pretty unsatisfactory way of trying to explain that. Some threads from the end of VLR don't get a reasonable conclusion in this one, either, which is kind of disappointing (what happened to Kyle?).

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Ok, I think I finished the game. I really liked it. Two questions though.

1. Is there an actually decision for killing Delta or is it supposed to be ambiguous?

2. Are there aftermath files for Diana, Phi and Sigma? It seems weird that everyone else gets them but them.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

thinking about it, i think the thing that bugs me a lot is how little any of the characters seem to ever accomplish. with the exception of Carlos, real american hero, shifting like mad, it feels like everyone just kinda bumbles along aimlessly until the player has the right info and then delta spouts exposition and the game ends. this was especially bad in the case of sigma and phi, who were supposed to be infiltrating the experiment to stop radical 9, and proceed to basically do nothing all game except get born

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...
Not much of spoilers, but basically this game contains a robot, a childish murderer who is the sole cause of about 90% of the events that led the people in this list to being who they are, an Ethereal voiced by Wesker, a childish idiot who I wish to throw at the dartboard, and 6 people from Freeza Planet 419, who consist of Yugioh Abridged's Bandit Keith, a man with 40 extra years of horniness attached at no extra cost, the female incarnation of David Xanatos, the biggest stalker of said female, the pacifist nurse meant to balance this crazy out... but only when she's sober, and a girl who's history is so confusingly strange even Hideo Kojima would give up on understanding it.

When being the robot in the group makes you the most normal... drat son. :golfclap:

devius
Mar 22, 2013
I actually went into the game with the prediction/hope that the Dcom incident was actually Brother's plan to capture the body-hopping ? entity somehow. The way the game was laid up with clear requirements for extensive SHIFTing (random chances, memory erasing, alternate X-codes) seemed to confirm my theory at first. I figured ? was jumping between Diana, Carlos, and Sean, and that their memories of each other's experiences was proof of that.

Then the explanation with Delta and MIND HACKING came in and that went out the window, but I was really hopeful for a while there. Still, it feels like there's yet another purpose to the game that Delta did not share with us, considering it already filled several purposes.

I actually tried replaying the game and going straight to the true end as quickly as I could (spreading the votes, nobody pressing the button, putting in all Force Quit codes and then SHIFTing) with the hopes of unlocking a secret ending, but nope.

I just can't drop this feeling that there's more. One scene, one file. Just a little more...

But I guess I'll have to wait until the Q&A, and even then it'll probably raise more questions than it answers.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
transporting alien technology is useless at the end, sean is op, and I can't believe the end game solution is "eh let's teleport to a time when we didn't get into this mess".

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

transporting alien technology is useless at the end, sean is op, and I can't believe the end game solution is "eh let's teleport to a time when we didn't get into this mess".

But they learned the power of friendship!

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
am i supposed to believe mira was going to willingly turn herself in, or actually listen to eric

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Did Sigma and Phi even jump once? They were the SHIFT masters in VLR but it was more Team C shifting this time.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I think making shifting blatantly visible took a lot out of it. In VLR, basically every time you selected another node on the flowchart, that was shifting in action. In ZTD, it seems it only actually takes place whenever the glowy balls show up and everything else is just ???.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hahahaha Uchikoshi is an absolute madman. He really did it, leaving a sequel hook at the end of a game which almost never got made in the first place.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaggy_dog_story

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

voltcatfish posted:

Did Sigma and Phi even jump once? They were the SHIFT masters in VLR but it was more Team C shifting this time.

They SHIFTed in the D team execution scene. Phi even calls out to Sigma to do so.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

korrandark posted:

Ok, I think I finished the game. I really liked it. Two questions though.

1. Is there an actually decision for killing Delta or is it supposed to be ambiguous?

2. Are there aftermath files for Diana, Phi and Sigma? It seems weird that everyone else gets them but them.

1. Nope, Delta was the one making all of the decisions in the game via mind hacking, so you don't get one there because he promised he wouldn't use it on Carlos.

2. Nope! Probably will have to wait till the Q&A to learn what happens with them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Personally I think the interpretation that "The player is actually Delta mindhacking everyone!" is dumb and wrong, if only for the fact that he's dead in a bunch of the timelines anyway.

It's way more likely in my opinion that the decisions and the transfer of information between characters is ?/Blick Winkel's unstated role in the game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Did Mira kill Akane's dad?
Why were Eric and Mira even there?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fadam posted:

No, Mira killed Eric's mother (probably). Akane's dad was somewhere nearby at the time and was arrested and convicted for the crime.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

fadam posted:

Akane's dad was executed in Jail for a crime he didn't commit.

Mira killed Eric's mom, however.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Personally I think the interpretation that "The player is actually Delta mindhacking everyone!" is dumb and wrong, if only for the fact that he's dead in a bunch of the timelines anyway.

It's way more likely in my opinion that the decisions and the transfer of information between characters is ?/Blick Winkel's unstated role in the game.

The game pretty much flat out states that's the case for some of it though. Hitting the button as Carlos, or Diana for example. Both of them swear they didn't do it, and it pretty much implies Delta was behind it.

Now that I actually think about it though, yeah I suppose saying that Delta did all of the decisions doesn't make sense.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The game pretty much flat out states that's the case for some of it though. Hitting the button as Carlos, or Diana for example. Both of them swear they didn't do it, and it pretty much implies Delta was behind it.

Now that I actually think about it though, yeah I suppose saying that Delta did all of the decisions doesn't make sense.

They did it because the player forced them to do it in order to get all the information you need to complete the game. Those specific decisions are actually what I consider to be ?'s biggest influence on the game, not Delta's.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I wonder what Carlos whole role was in the whole VLR timeline? Akane didn't erase his memories so he must have been involved in the AB project right?

And also yeah I don't know why people are freaking out about "?" not coming up, like they are us the player, the whole Akane saying "that you will have major role" is saying to us "yo buy and play this game when it comes out pls". That's it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IceBorg posted:

I wonder what Carlos whole role was in the whole VLR timeline? Akane didn't erase his memories so he must have been involved in the AB project right?

And also yeah I don't know why people are freaking out about "?" not coming up, like they are us the player, the whole Akane saying "that you will have major role" is saying to us "yo buy and play this game when it comes out pls". That's it.

Well the reason is that at the time it seemed like a very clear nod to Ever17 and seemed like it was Uchikoshi saying that he was going to use the plot device of Blick Winkel in a very big way in the next game.

In actuality it seems like that's not what he was saying, but I think there's still evidence that the influence of a fourth dimentional entity (?/BW/the player) is there in ZTD.

Mind Hacking certainly confuses the issue but I think it's way less powerful and all present than people seem to think. I don't think Delta controlling literally everything is what the game was going for.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Though the part of VLR's epilogue that I think really bothers people is that Akane was very explicit in saying that Kyle had jumped back as well because Sigma wouldn't leave him behind. We had no idea what the mechanism of that would be and it was not brought up in the slightest in ZTD. That I have no explanation for other than it was dropped/forgotten.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In a timeline we didn't get to see, baby Delta suddenly opens his eyes and exclaims "Father! I have come to aid you!" Surprised, Sigma drops the baby, killing it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Q&A will reveal that Kyle actually jumped back and helped them hack the D-com database to get them there in the first place, well. there you go.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the Q&A will reveal that kyle is gab

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Terper posted:

In a timeline we didn't get to see, baby Delta suddenly opens his eyes and exclaims "Father! I have come to aid you!" Surprised, Sigma drops the baby, killing it.

Perfect

Poonerman posted:

the Q&A will reveal that kyle is gab

This was literally my theory for much of the game

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Uchikoshi also said Dio would be ZTD (although "not as we know him") but I guess that went nowhere either. That kind of makes it sound like maybe Delta was supposed to be Left or something at some point?

Regy Rusty posted:

This was literally my theory for much of the game

I'd like to think Delta shot Gab for the express purpose of enabling him to Shift to the CQD-END:2 timeline.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm unsure why people think Delta was making every choice, but there's no way he's not responsible for the "No it wasn't me! I swear!" choices.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
where was it stated that the person Mira killed was Eric's mom?

Also I still don't understand Sean's ability to shift. He's a robot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

where was it stated that the person Mira killed was Eric's mom?

Also I still don't understand Sean's ability to shift. He's a robot?

Quantum computer antics.

• Locked thread