Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Flakey posted:

If you mean Marienburg, that's on Reikland's western border.

I was totally thinking "west, not east" while typing too :v:

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, so am I trying too hard with Dwarves if I try and grab the Pillars on the first turn? Is it not going to end well for me?

The way the game goes for dwarves, i would honestly expect Grimgor to somehow know youre away and immediately march on your capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I had two armies attack a settlement with an enemy army garrisoned in it. When the battle loaded up, my reinforcing army was going to come behind the enemy army, and their reinforcing army was going to come behind me. Is this working correctly? My second army was behind me on the campaign map.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Swedish Horror posted:

I had two armies attack a settlement with an enemy army garrisoned in it. When the battle loaded up, my reinforcing army was going to come behind the enemy army, and their reinforcing army was going to come behind me. Is this working correctly? My second army was behind me on the campaign map.

Nope, not working correctly. The devs have posted how it's a known bug they are working on.

Nothing you can really do now though, maybe quick save before battles and reload and see if it starts them in a new spot?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Captain Beans posted:

Nope, not working correctly. The devs have posted how it's a known bug they are working on.

Nothing you can really do now though, maybe quick save before battles and reload and see if it starts them in a new spot?

I'll have to try that. Good to know they're fixing it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Grognan posted:

It is the Uber of voip and it doesn't work well and it bundles with adware. The incentive program has them shilling it everywhere they can. It is not a good product.

source on this, because i'm in IT and have had a lot of runins with buggy-rear end adware-installing software and have had absolutely no problems at all since installing discord

compare this to google hangouts which breaks every time the browser or any of the plugins it uses updates or skype which works according to the phases of the moon, what color underwear i'm wearing, universal background noise, etc.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
So I'm a huge Total War fan that just couldn't get into Rome 2 or Atilla but played Medieval 1, 2 and Darthmod Empire into the ground. Is this worth my scratch?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

So I'm a huge Total War fan that just couldn't get into Rome 2 or Atilla but played Medieval 1, 2 and Darthmod Empire into the ground. Is this worth my scratch?

Every TW vet has said this is the best total war yet by far. Idk about the specifics of other games because i came for the warhammer.

I imagine specifics on what you didnt like about Rome and Atilla would help a lot. Since theyre the recent titles, i imagine warhamm is based more on them.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yes.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Yes yes yes yes yes. Speaking for myself, who fell in love with Rome 1, skipped Medieval 2, played a bunch of Empire, then some Shogun 2, it is fantastic.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Yukitsu posted:

^ Long unplanned road trip actually described Archaon's life perfectly.

The composition was actually pretty OK, it's not too far off from what I'd take. The only thing that went really wrong for you was you sort of let your cavalry get hammered in a match where your big advantage was you had a much better cavalry wing than I did. Since I had a bit more infantry, a lot more shooting but you had a lot more cav, especially if you include the arachnarok, you kinda didn't take the win on the cav front.

I've been getting those wraith necromancer balls too but I haven't been having a hard time dealing with it. It depends on faction I'm using but I feel like every faction can deal with it.
Yeah, when you started flinging the fireballs the smartest thing I should've done was to bring my boars back behind my lines, but I have a bad habit of prepping cavalry on the flanks way ahead of my infantry force in the hopes of scaring the enemy into blobbing up to let me hem them in at my leisure. I need to be more patient!

What do you recommend for dealing with such blobs of Vampire enemies getting Neheked? Even when surrounding them, the spell seems to outdo any damage and prevents leadership crumbling.

Also, I've been really sucking at MP lately. So many matches ending in close defeats, it's actually a little frustrating. Well, ain't nothing to it but to play more and learn. I've friended you on Steam in case you want to try more matches later on!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Just want to chime in and say that I would also like to know more about Discord being bad software with adware. I haven't had any problems but I'd like to know more about what I might run into!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Buschmaki posted:

The Chaos campaign feels less like you're Archaon the Antichrist and more like Archaon is going on a long road trip but he really sucks at planning. Are there any mods that just let me play as the Varg or Skaeling?

Best way to play Chaos is to roll with Kholek and Sigvald and pretend Archaeon doesn't exist.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Just want to chime in and say that I would also like to know more about Discord being bad software with adware. I haven't had any problems but I'd like to know more about what I might run into!

If you Google Discord Malware you get jack. The only thing I saw was some dude on reddit having issues removing a corrupted install.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Olive Branch posted:

Yeah, when you started flinging the fireballs the smartest thing I should've done was to bring my boars back behind my lines, but I have a bad habit of prepping cavalry on the flanks way ahead of my infantry force in the hopes of scaring the enemy into blobbing up to let me hem them in at my leisure. I need to be more patient!

What do you recommend for dealing with such blobs of Vampire enemies getting Neheked? Even when surrounding them, the spell seems to outdo any damage and prevents leadership crumbling.

Also, I've been really sucking at MP lately. So many matches ending in close defeats, it's actually a little frustrating. Well, ain't nothing to it but to play more and learn. I've friended you on Steam in case you want to try more matches later on!

I beat the wraith ball differently with different factions. With Empire, I just have to surround it and then get a really well timed bloodroar on them. Usually if I can force 3 relatively rapid invocations, he can't do a fourth overcast right away because he won't have a mana pool left so I can bolster my troops, ram my general in the middle and hit them with bloodroar. A lot of my matches, they start to disintegrate in that brief window before they can get a fourth invocation off. With dwarves I focus one unit down at a time with the rune of wrath and ruin taking 2 rune priests in a lot of my setups. With Bretts, obviously they can just grail knight them with cycle charges. Everyone with lore of death, you can hit the ball with the -18 leadership overcast over and over or you can pick units apart with fate. I've also seen final transmutation in conjunction with winning a melee do it since the damage outpaces invocation's healing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Welp first game was a wash. I didn't really expand in any which way. I got Marienberg and one of the Bretonian lands that attacked me. Never got to fight Counts though and by the end Chaos came and I couldn't keep up.

Playing as Empire of course

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nasgate posted:

What paid software do you use that Discord seems like it doesnt work well? Its miles better in terms of voice quality, bandwith and cpu usage compared to every free voip ive tried. Lots of settings, actively updated, and has a great ui. So its miles ahead of any paid voip ive ever used as well.

I realize the rest of your post is literal insanity, but im hoping you can back this claim up.
I always found teamspeak and mumble to be better, but both of those require you to pay for servers.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rygar201 posted:

If you Google Discord Malware you get jack. The only thing I saw was some dude on reddit having issues removing a corrupted install.

Yeah, all I found is an actual piece of malware called Discord, of no relation the voip solution.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

I always found teamspeak and mumble to be better, but both of those require you to pay for servers.

Yeah, i find the easy to use UI is much better than teamspeak or mumble though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Yeah, i find the easy to use UI is much better than teamspeak or mumble though.
To each his own man. I just appreciate that mumble takes basically no resources and works without any need for emulation on linux.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Blood for the Blood God loving owns. The geyser of blood Kholek unleashes with each hammer swing is just... :allears:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

So im 280+ Hours into this game by now, and as you may understand im quite Biased for it, seeing as ive never spent this much time on a TW titel in such a short time. The closest would be Rome 1 i suppose, but even that is probably not even remotely as close honestly. So lemme break it down for you.

Warhammer uses the same building system that Rome 2 and Attila does and some people loathe this system however the good news is that every negative mechanic has more or less been stripped clean. What i mean by that is that there is no squalor, there is no food or climate whatever. Upgrading your buildings are only a matter of currency or currency cost+ population surplus. The building have also been more or less simplified, which some people once again hate but most people love the fact that its not a jumbling mess of confusing stuff. You got your income buildings, happiness buildings, growth buildings, upgrade building, recruitment buildings, and thats more or less it besides unique buildings that do exist.

The rosters for each team are smaller than what you'd remember from Rome 2 or Attila, however each faction is markedly different, wildly so in some cases. Theese rosters will also undoubtedly grow bigger in the future if that sounds like a concern for you, though you really shouldn't worry as the smaller rosters makes your units feel more interesting and it has forced CA to make even the crappiest T1 unit have its own identity (the humble zombie is the weakest T1 unit by far for instance but it is excellent at tying down units for your elite units/monsters to come in from the back).

Besides that the rosters themselves are also more varied than ever before. Some armies have units from almost every era of total war. From spearmen to muskets in some cases. Thats not mentioning the new unique ones from this game, big monsterous units and even more importantly, flying units. The monsterous units are close to Elephants in usage but many of them are far more versatile than those units ever were. The flying units are even more so, as you now finally have ways to deal with walls, artillery etc in a more effiecent way if you so chose.

Another new mechanic is magic. It is still swinging a bit from useful/great to underpowered/disappointing, even with the latest patch but it DOES add another strategy element to your choices, and in some cases a well placed spell can alter the entire battle! That can mean a powerful vortex spell, aka aoe spell that moves around, wiping out a good deal of your foes or it can mean a buff making your units not break at the wrong moment or, in the Empires case, there is a goddamned root spell which can stop cavalary (or anything else for that matter) flat in their tracks, allowing you to counter charge them if you so wish.

The AI is better on both the strategic level and in combat, but don't expect miracle work. Its still bound by simple rules as before, and it cheats just like in every other TW title ever made. This doesn't mean you can underestimate it as it will gladly ruin your day if you let it, once again both on the strategic map and in combat.

Finally, i'll mention the optimisation of this game. Both Rome 2 and Attila have been guilty of being unoptimised messes for their entire lifespan. This is no longer true for Warhammer, thank the chaos gods, as the developers actually took the time to optimise their engine. I could play this on Ultra on my 2500k+970GTX though that changed to High once they introduced the blood&gore DLC since it adds so much more particle effects its silly. The launch of this game was probably the smoothest one to date for any TW title because of this optimisation and a delay of one month.

So there you have it, from the fanboys own mouth. Sorry for the wall of text, but i hope this works for you!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 2, 2016

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Playing as Vamps again, and watching Chaos melt under Blood Knights never, ever gets old.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Grognan posted:

It is the Uber of voip and it doesn't work well and it bundles with adware. The incentive program has them shilling it everywhere they can. It is not a good product.

It does not bundle with adware.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
After having played as the Dwarves for a long time, I started an Orc campaign and man had I grown dependent on quarrelers murdering everyone.

Greenskin ranged is pretty god drat bad, except when I played against them they were a lot more lethal.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

After having played as the Dwarves for a long time, I started an Orc campaign and man had I grown dependent on quarrelers murdering everyone.

Greenskin ranged is pretty god drat bad, except when I played against them they were a lot more lethal.

Technically, greenskins have the best archers in the game

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

unwantedplatypus posted:

I am not sure on that. other than the Doom Diver, which as a warmachine can really gently caress off.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

unwantedplatypus posted:

Not true. Bretonnian archers disqualify orcs & goblins by existing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What makes orc/goblin and bret archers good? Cheapness?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Punk living can't defend poo poo. As Mannfred everything north of me was razed and I have had to rebuild northward just to get the damned Norscans away from Sylvania. Just as I'm putting the finishing touches on Kislev, here come Archaon and his pals, right on time for my Blood Knights! Been lightning striking furiously since then to keep the hordes at bay while Kemmler rushes back from a poorly timed Talabheim reconstruction. Kislev will prevail. 190 hours in. gently caress.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Not true. Bretonnian archers disqualify orcs & goblins by existing.

1)Bretonnians aren't a real faction yet :colbert:

2) I'd argue that night goblin archers and goblin spider rider archers are better than the Bretonnian equivalents. Also orc arrer boyz are decent in melee.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Now that the blood DLC is in, it is now impossible to go back and play previous Total War games. I tried out all the ones people here recommended and every time I did a fight I just thought "well yeah but I could be doing this with vampire bats and gryphon knights and literal giants" and came back to TW:W.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Lone Badger posted:

The fact they are the only Archers in the game. Dwarfs and Empire have Crossbowmen. :thejoke:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

Now that the blood DLC is in, it is now impossible to go back and play previous Total War games. I tried out all the ones people here recommended and every time I did a fight I just thought "well yeah but I could be doing this with vampire bats and gryphon knights and literal giants" and came back to TW:W.

And yet we still have about two thirds (maybe even as much as four fifths) of content left to us. I can't believe im saying this but.. i want elves, give us wood elves with bullshit auto-aim arrows please. Another TW doctrine shattered, consider having archers that most likely will be able to not only shoot over your frontline dudes, but also do so with ridiculous accuracy.

Or naval combat with sea monsters. gently caress.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

They aren't good. But they are the "best archers" by dint of being the only actual archers. Crossbowmen and quarrelers are crossbowmen, handgunners and thunderers are riflemen.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ridiculous autoaim arrows would be cool, but I thought the Wood Elf Thing was really versatile units? Like, archers who are also your frontline.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Gejnor posted:

Or naval combat with sea monsters. gently caress.

Sending a fleet against a rampaging megladon would certainly spice up the sea battles.:krakken:

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
I'm really looking forward to nuking some poor bastard with a giant fuckoff laser cannon from the back of a dinosaur.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So the other factions will get new units like the Blood Knights eventually, right? But it probably won't be for a while?

I'm tempted by an Ungrim campaign.

Edit: ^^^ I wanna play Skaven.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
blood dlc is well worth it, things like giants and artillery could feel a bit sterile when all they did was throw people around and some of them got back up

now the people who die explode in a shower of blood so you can see youre doing something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Ridiculous autoaim arrows would be cool, but I thought the Wood Elf Thing was really versatile units? Like, archers who are also your frontline.

No, none of the bow units want to fight in melee aside from Glade Riders (spear and longbow equipped fast cavalry). Wood Elfs shtick was skilled and fragile Elfs backed up by really tough Forest Spirits.

• Locked thread