Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

a cyberpunk goose posted:

ah yes, the racist and knee jerk citizenry actually wanted to deal a blow to the upper class, that was their true goal all along

:newlol:

yes, actually. the poorer regions voted leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

poor people are hella racist too

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Velkest posted:

Bye-bye to the billions received for redeveloping poorer regions.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36561084

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Lol at Vote Leave/Tory leadership candidates saying all week that they will be able to negotiate access to the single market without having to allow freedom of movement. The EU haven't given that to anybody else and have been entirely clear that if we think we can get any such thing, we can think again.

"My official position on this matter is that we as a nation can have our cake and eat it" - Michael Gove

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Velkest posted:

hahaja I'm dead

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The EU can suck a fat one. Congrats on the majority of Brits that voted to take their country back!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stoatbringer posted:

but thats money the UK gave the EU. they still have that money, they can keep spending it on poor people if they want

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Stoatbringer posted:

Britain pays more money into the EU than it gets, just like France and Germany. That's british money in the first place.

now if you're arguing that being in the EU would force a Tory government to spend british tax money on its own people, fair enough. That shouldn't apply, theoretically, to a Labour government though. (But then again seems like most social democrat parties all over europe are all about that neoliberalism.)

btw i don't know that much about the finer points of british politics, as i am not from the uk.

Velkest fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 2, 2016

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
mass immigration is great for the elite, so in no way is it gonna stop and lol if you thought it would

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i love people going on about the EU sending money back for redevelopment. lol that is so paternalistic, as if the people of the UK are not responsible enough to decide how to spend their own money! that is exactly how colonial governments worked. the colony sends money to the crown, then the crown sends (some of) it back for development projects that the dumb natives wouldn't have done on their own

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
‾‾‾‾‾ ← Majorities must be this high to have a mandate!

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

Rutibex posted:

but thats money the UK gave the EU. they still have that money, they can keep spending it on poor people if they want

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bitter Mushroom posted:

mass immigration is great for the elite, so in no way is it gonna stop and lol if you thought it would

mass immigration is also pretty bad for the countries that are losing a substantial portion of their working-age people, leaving behind the old or unable. it's the 20th century rural/urban problem writ large.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

poor people are hella racist too

It ain't the white collar jobs and neighborhoods being impacted by these immigrants, legal and illegal. It's easy for them to point fingers and call names though.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

mass immigration is also pretty bad for the countries that are losing a substantial portion of their working-age people, leaving behind the old or unable. it's the 20th century rural/urban problem writ large.

You mean the regions with exploding-out-of-control populations, rampant misogyny, minimal female education, low access to birth control, and where the median age is barely older than a teenager? I think they'll be fine.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Velkest posted:

Britain pays more money into the EU than it gets, just like France and Germany. That's british money in the first place.

now if you're arguing that being in the EU would force a Tory government to spend british tax money on its own people, fair enough. That shouldn't apply, theoretically, to a Labour government though. (But then again seems like most social democrat parties all over europe are all about that neoliberalism.)

btw i don't know that much about the finer points of british politics, as i am not from the uk.

You are overlooking how the UK takes advantages of other forms of aid such as free trade and also help from the ECB.

Things like ECB packages will have to be paid back as part of the Brexit.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

hemophilia posted:

You can't even admit that a simple majority shouldn't be able to drag a nearly full half of the country that was in opposition to this into this situation that will affect everyone, and the children of everyone. You can't accept that because you only barely got an outcome you wanted. Do you know what a Pyrrhic victory is? If you get your way, that's what this is. If the UK left with a supermajority, united in their will to leave the EU, that would be different. Instead you're probably going to lose scotland, and North Ireland is going to move that way too. The emprie is dead and England isn't that useful scotland to the world without scotland's oil fields. A brexit would rear end-gently caress your finance sector, which employs basically everyone and pays off the pensions of the dying old people that voted for this.

so lol just lol I can't believe you're clinging to the idea that a 2% lead in a non binding vote is an ACTUAL mandate. If your government weasels out of this, and it should, and probably will, i just want you to understand why- And that's because 2% of the country doesn't get to dictate a decision of this magnitude.

It takes a supermajority to get anything important or with permanence like a constitutional amendment or admitting a state* in the United States. You would think something that has that much of an effect on the nation as a whole would require a supermajority.

*technically, enabling or allowing admission requires an act of Congress, but in almost all cases, they had clear supermajorities backed up popular votes in the soon-to-be-state territory.

Also, don't forget Wales has been talking about their own independence referendum despite voting to Leave following all the news about Scotland and North Ireland.

Moridin920 posted:

ITT a bunch of brexit brits try to claim they aren't racist, even though the only real tangible bit of the 'leave' campaign's promises is now 'we're gonna close the borders'

sure you're not racist, you're just xenophobic morons

They don't even get that, because now they're not in any position to dictate to the EU how to handle immigration.

Velkest posted:

Tell me again how the Leavers are going to use that £350 million a week that they were going to send to the EU to fund NHS. That's always a good joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA3XTYfzd1I

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 2, 2016

stefania_r
Sep 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Spoiler alert they won't

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

It takes a supermajority to get anything important or with permanence like a constitutional amendment or admitting a state* in the United States. You would think something that has that much of an effect on the nation as a whole would require a supermajority.

thats all well and reasonable for the next time we have an important vote. unfortunately that wasn't how this vote worked. you can't go back and say "nuh uh simple majorities dont count!" retroactively. that undermines the entire point of democracy

if people had known that they actually needed 60% or whatever to leave it would have influenced the way they voted!

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
the UK was just fine before they joined the EU but now they are doomed because of these massive structural changes to the country:

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Young Freud posted:

Tell me again how the Leavers are going to use that £350 million a week that they were going to send to the EU to fund NHS. That's always a good joke.

It's your own fault if you believe Tories, I suppose.
Farage didn't pull poo poo like this, incidentally.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol only liberals could think they pumping 350 million a week back into your own economy would be detrimental. Leave the real politics to the conservatives, liberals should just focus on putting trigger warnings on everything.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I've heard a lot of different opinions on this whole European Union thing but I feel like I can't really come to a conclusion on the issue until I see the Iron Pill take on it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's almost like the stock market loses 400 points if the right people see a rat in the corner

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Internaut! posted:

the UK was just fine before they joined the EU but now they are doomed because of these massive structural changes to the country:

the UK wasn't "fine" when it joined the EU. it was flattened by terror bombing and on the doorstep of of the Red Menace

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Junkfist posted:

I've heard a lot of different opinions on this whole European Union thing but I feel like I can't really come to a conclusion on the issue until I see the Iron Pill take on it.

finally someone talks sense

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Moridin920 posted:

ITT a bunch of brexit brits try to claim they aren't racist, even though the only real tangible bit of the 'leave' campaign's promises is now 'we're gonna close the borders'

sure you're not racist, you're just xenophobic morons

you know literally nothing about this or anything much else

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

the UK wasn't "fine" when it joined the EU. it was flattened by terror bombing and on the doorstep of of the Red Menace

bruh when do you think the EU was formed exactly?

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

you know literally nothing about this or anything much else

i know you're a poopy butt

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Moridin920 posted:

i know you're a poopy butt

do you have any loving idea how hard it is to wipe away all the poo poo after you take a dump if you're a bit husky?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it's difficult

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wish someone would send me £350million a week.

Even with 7 kids and no job I think I can only get like £100k or something.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
if only the leave campaigners were as overjoyed by the result as some of the posters in this thread.

spud posted:

I wish someone would send me £350million a week.

Even with 7 kids and no job I think I can only get like £100k or something.

benefits queening is hard graft. respect blud

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ranbo das posted:

A lot of Bernie Sanders fans made/are making similar arguments in the US, although like to be fair they have a point, the current election system is poo poo and leads to the most popular candidate winning instead of the best one.

That's democracy you retard

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

corn in the bible posted:

That's democracy you retard

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

this loving thread

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
in a fair election, the side with more votes wins. pretty loving simple imho

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
The issue with FPTP is that it doesn't always translate into most votes = winner though. Hence crowing about electoral reform on both sides of the pond since forever. (mainly by third/independent parties who get shafted the hardest)
Under an AV system we'd have more UKIP MP's for instance. They weird old dudes who smell of pipe tobacco and poo poo lager though so gently caress that noise.

and greens lmao

either way the referendum wasn't FPTP which seems to have confused a lot of protest voters.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

It's the elephant in the room and I can't stand it any longer. What the gently caress is up with Boris Johnson's hair? Is he so austerity that he can't afford a comb? Has no one ever pulled him aside and told him about pomade?

It's like Trump overly preened his hair and Boris took the exact opposite approach.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Automatic Slim posted:

It's the elephant in the room and I can't stand it any longer. What the gently caress is up with Boris Johnson's hair? Is he so austerity that he can't afford a comb? Has no one ever pulled him aside and told him about pomade?

It's like Trump overly preened his hair and Boris took the exact opposite approach.

His name isn't even Boris, it's Al. His hair is probably a wig and I think his body is just a vessel for a bunch of super intelligent rodents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Automatic Slim posted:

someone told boris that he had gone bald 30 years ago and he hasn't yet realized that they were joking

• Locked thread