Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
disgaea 3 wasnt that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Finished TiTS SC. Goddamn that Loewe battle is complete bullshit and I didn't bother trying to stick it out and win. Oh well. I was just happy to see a conclusion to Estelle and Joshua's arc.

The other party members were great outside their own character arcs, but the villains were all really dumb and boring

Now to play Zero Escape 3.

E: oh i guess i won after playing for two minutes. Cool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We don't have a lot of SRPGs because they're not actually that popular by and large, not because of anything else.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

We don't have a lot of SRPGs because they're not actually that popular by and large, not because of anything else.

This lack of SRPGs that aren't Fire Emblem must be the work of an enemy Stand!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tired Moritz posted:

disgaea 3 wasnt that bad

All of them are bad and cheap.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Disgaea really flooded the SRPG market with its six games over 13 years.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
disgaea has no good husbandos, poo poo SERIES

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Falcom RPGs are infinitely better than anything Compile Heart has made.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

Finished TiTS SC. Goddamn that Loewe battle is complete bullshit and I didn't bother trying to stick it out and win.

There are at least two ways to win it:

--Blow every Zeram Capsule and Powder you've got. The first time I fought Loewe was a Benny Hill skit, with one conscious party member desperately tossing a Zeram onto someone else in the instant before they got mauled.
--Bring a caster with the Time Gem and Earth Guard/Earth Wall/Gaea Shield, and have them do literally nothing but cast those for the entire fight.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

disgaea 3 wasnt that bad

Disgaea 4 is still my favourite. Mostly because I can actually stand the protagonist, a vampire addicted to sardines

On the other hand, I wish someone would make a remake or sequel to Soul Nomad. Now that's my favourite SRPG, period.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Verranicus posted:

Falcom RPGs are infinitely better than anything Compile Heart has made.

Next you'll be telling me water is wet :rolleyes:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Even Fire Emblem nearly went down in flames, never forget.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rascyc posted:

Even Fire Emblem nearly went down in flames, never forget.

Fire Emblem is also better than anything NIS or Compile Heart has ever poo poo out.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Who cares? There's no real indicator a bad series has ever brought down a genre as a whole.

Assuming it's bad anyway. There must be some market for them, much like mobile games.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Disgaea's p good imo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

GulagDolls posted:

Matsuno is busy drinking himself to death

Actually he did a kickstarter like Mighty No. 9, cashing in on his name as a creator, but for some reason no one cared and it barely got funded. Last I checked his company took a break from game making to pay the bills with some unspecified but presumably boring product, but now they're back on track to be woefully behind schedule and outsourcing fundamental game design!

So basically, he is literally trying to make a new FFT as we speak, but the fans have let him down. So yeah, probably drinking himself to death.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

*Points at Verranicus*: 'Dis guy, eh?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
homeschooled more like it if he doesn't understand basic competitive market

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Let down by fans" is a weird way of framing getting the funding you asked for but being unable to get a product out.

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 2, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Motto posted:

Getting let down by fans is a weird way a framing getting the funding you asked for but being unable to get a product out.

Well, Kickstarter is a weird funding model. They usually ask for a lot less than they actually need to make a game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Clarste posted:

Actually he did a kickstarter like Mighty No. 9, cashing in on his name as a creator, but for some reason no one cared and it barely got funded. Last I checked his company took a break from game making to pay the bills with some unspecified but presumably boring product, but now they're back on track to be woefully behind schedule and outsourcing fundamental game design!

So basically, he is literally trying to make a new FFT as we speak, but the fans have let him down. So yeah, probably drinking himself to death.

uh, the story i heard was less that fans let him down and more that the game's development is a shady mess

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'll admit that the development history is laughably bad. I'm sure having more money would've cheered him up at least though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NIS is all over the place in quality but their Disgaea games have a lot of genuinely excellent design elements and the good ones are very good at what they're trying to do. It may not be what you personally want but especially with Disgaea they generally do things very well. I'm not fond of their plots but ANIMEJOKEx100 has never been my thing. Getting angry that they keep getting made when they fill a niche nobody else comes close to touching while doing it well is silly. Compile Heart is kind of genuinely lovely by and large but their games are excuses to sell the characters and apparently they're pretty successful at that. RPG/SRPG fans are not suddenly not buying other games because they exist.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wasn't matsuno little more than a name to the unsung story game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Clarste posted:

Well, Kickstarter is a weird funding model. They usually ask for a lot less than they actually need to make a game.

They decided to concentrate on a versus mode no-one cared about then went 'welp we've no money anymore' and disappeared

Davincie posted:

wasn't matsuno little more than a name to the unsung story game

Also yeah pretty much

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is Unsung story the lovely project that didn't start yet because they were waiting on a programmer, or was the other japanese kickstarter nostalgia project?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Either that or Project Phoenix.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I thought it was the programmer that they were "expecting to hire", and then it turned out said programmer was busy, and so they just stuck around for years without one?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

They decided to concentrate on a versus mode no-one cared about then went 'welp we've no money anymore' and disappeared

Yeah, I know, I've gotten increasingly apologetic emails from them over the last couple years.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Junpei Hyde posted:

*Points at Verranicus*: 'Dis guy, eh?

Hitting you with cold hard facts.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Are you the same guy who claimed NISA and Idea Factory were preventing Yakuza from being localized and selling well?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I can't hate Compile Heart since it appears they've genuinely improved over time from the awful HDN to VII actually having a pretty neat combat system.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

Numbers...... I tried playing rondo of swords recently. It's pretty cool. I like that there's no "attack" command. You just attack all enemies that you can move through, so positioning of yourself and enemy units is a lot more important than I think any other srpg I've played. Mistakes are punished pretty harshly but if you're a wise gamer you can dance around all the enemy units and murder them with giant combos without getting hit.
i like rondo a lot but the game is incredibly poorly explained and it's easy to screw yourself over with the promotion item stuff and some units are just flatout useless

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also disgaea isn't even really trying to be a srpg like fire emblem or fft, it's about system exploitation and bizarre mechanical interactions leading to extremely positive results. it's a game intentionally built around stuff like calculator abuse from fft. that means tactics aren't really a thing but they aren't trying to have tactics really be a thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and i mean, fft and ogre battle are both kind of poo poo. at least disgaea is broken on purpose.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

also disgaea isn't even really trying to be a srpg like fire emblem or fft, it's about system exploitation and bizarre mechanical interactions leading to extremely positive results. it's a game intentionally built around stuff like calculator abuse from fft. that means tactics aren't really a thing but they aren't trying to have tactics really be a thing.

Disgaea is more like a puzzle game in that your goal is to figure out the 'trick' to every stage and most stages have more than one solution. Grinding sheer numbers is one solution but the clever thing about Disgaea is that A) there's usually a solution that involves less grinding and B) Finding the optimal way to grind numbers is a puzzle in itself. There's always a solution involving bigger numbers for anything that isn't the hardest of the hard but you don't have to do that, there are other mechanical exploits which allow you to finish stages. It's a good design if it is what you're looking for.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ogre Battle 64 is the best sprg bitches

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Libluini posted:

Disgaea 4 is still my favourite. Mostly because I can actually stand the protagonist, a vampire addicted to sardines

Yeah I bought a pstv just for disgaea 4 and p4.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i was gonna make a top 10 srpgs of all time post but then i realized it'd just be fe games and soul nomad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

SRPGs are good and I should really get into Disgaea and Fire Emblem properly.