Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Does anyone know when or what is going to happen to these leavers? Or know how many leaves until they get hosed? poo poo's annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Not saying anything is wrong with the game or anything, but the last 7 days or so have been the least fun/most frustrating in Overwatch for me. Might need to take a break for a while.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Easy Mac posted:

Does anyone know when or what is going to happen to these leavers? Or know how many leaves until they get hosed? poo poo's annoying.

too many leaves leads to temporary lockouts and if it continues a ban from competitive

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Easy Mac posted:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745575028#post-3

quote:

wanted to take this opportunity to briefly explain some of the systems we have in place regarding leaves and losses in competitive play, and why they're there and why they work the way they do.

When we determine someone has quit a competitive match before the first 30 seconds of game time has completed, we note that the match is now invalid and it collapses after 30 seconds. The person who left receives BOTH a loss and a leave, while everyone else can then leave without penalty or loss.

After the first 30 seconds of game time, how we handle someone leaving a competitive match changes. After determining that someone has quit, we begin a 1 minute timer. The missing player can return during that timer, but if they do not then the remaining team members are now given a choice. Depending on the match situation when the player left, that team might want to play on since they still have a chance to win. If the situation is hopeless, we don't want to force players to stick around while the other team finishes the match. So we allow the rest of the team to quit the match without a leave penalty, but they still do receive a loss.

Why do the remaining team members still receive a loss? How is this fair? The unfortunate answer is that the alternative would be worse. We don't want to create an awful situation where players who think they're losing are now encouraged to do whatever it takes to get someone else on their team to leave. By removing any possible incentive for anyone to "tactically" leave, it also means that more matches will complete normally. When someone leaves, Overwatch is less fun to play for everyone.

To further discourage someone from leaving a match, competitive play has a different leave penalty system than a quick play game. Leaving won't simply reduce your XP gain, instead you can be suspended from playing competitive play. The time a player is suspended time increases on repeated leaves, and in extreme cases a player will earn a ban from competitive play for the current season. Banned players also forfeit any rewards granted at the end of the season.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just an aside, but I think Mei's freezing ability should scale based on character size. Let her ice the small/average-size Heroes as it is now, and take a bit longer to freeze a Tank like Winston or Reinhardt so she isn't utterly and inescapably ruining their day in about three seconds flat.

Why would anyone bother picking Mei when in "three seconds flat" you can kill that tank instead? And you want to nerf that to four or five seconds?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

sticking three different control moves and an invulnerability on the same hero may have been a mistake

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Prav posted:

sticking three different control moves and an invulnerability on the same hero may have been a mistake

the mistake was not committing to making the control moves good because they were afraid people would get the feelbads

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

people would get the feelbads. they do already.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd be fine with Mei getting buffed if she were harder to play. The reason she's such a terror at low levels is largely because of how easy it is to freeze someone with her gun compared to tracking for headshots with Tracer's pistols or whatever. Maybe increase her current freeze time but make the beam narrower and let it "headshot" to freeze faster and do more damage than it currently does.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think she's as easy to play as you're suggesting and even if she were, this is a game where Reinhardt and Winston exist. Just buff her, period, no provisos or trade-offs.

Prav posted:

people would get the feelbads. they do already.

this is true, but this is also a game where the Pudge / Devourer analogue is an A-tier character now that people have had time to figure him out, so they really don't have a leg to stand on

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

bagrada posted:

Things like that, Symmetra's turret kills, and Roadhog's hook percentage are overly weighted for cards at the end I think. They show up way too much.

Zenyatta's transcendence healing, too. You could rack up gold elims with Zenyatta, but if at some point in the match your ult did a piddly amount of healing on someone, that's gonna be your card.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Not saying anything is wrong with the game or anything, but the last 7 days or so have been the least fun/most frustrating in Overwatch for me. Might need to take a break for a while.

everything about the Competitive system sucks. Why seed me at 46 if you're going to put me in like 15 straight losing games and im gonna play at 38 anyway? why do i get barely any xp when i win, yet lose almost a level when i lose? why the gently caress do i get dinged when other people leave? (gently caress that bullshit explanation, being down a character might as well be everyone on the team missing a mouse button)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Really the main Mei to worry about is the one that has mastered her M2 because that poo poo is loving scary. Has higher damage and less damage falloff than McCree's M1. It can one-shot a tracer.

Seagull gets destroyed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHi_a0FYGGI

it has higher damage but more falloff than mccree actually

mccree's primary does 70-35 damage; mei's alt fire does 75-22. it's also slower to fire and is a projectile rather than hitscan like mccree's peacekeeper

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't take low accuracy as Pharah as a bad thing, it just means you're using rockets for area denial and not just for kill shots. The only time you shouldn't be firing rockets like a madman is when you're trying to set up an ultimate from an unexpected angle.

Yeah that's basically what I was doing and getting a lot of splash kills.

Does shooting Reinhardts shield count as a direct hit or miss?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Xaris posted:

Yeah that's basically what I was doing and getting a lot of splash kills.

Does shooting Reinhardts shield count as a direct hit or miss?

hitting shields counts as a direct so you can pad that particular stat by spamming them

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I'm in this weird spot with Mei where if my team is decent, I can contribute a lot, but if my team is getting rolled, I'm useless.

Also I can't imagine she'd be as good on console. Being able to pop up a wall in the right spot in a split second is soooo useful.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Oh and for some reason I never see other Meis pop their walls early. I don't think people even know you can. I do it all the time if I think the wall is hurting my team more than helping.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Had a Mei in comp last night who popped a wall blocking us (her own team) off the point we were in 99/99 overtime. We lost.

Luckily we won the next three, but still...

gently caress that guy.

Also, he left the loving thing up.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Han Nehi posted:

I'm in this weird spot with Mei where if my team is decent, I can contribute a lot, but if my team is getting rolled, I'm useless.

Also I can't imagine she'd be as good on console. Being able to pop up a wall in the right spot in a split second is soooo useful.

I really like her on payload maps when my team has a Rein, but I won't claim she's a better choice even then than a good S76.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

2-4 so far on placement matches. the two wins were from soloq, others were groups.

I hope I get a 50 rank

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Han Nehi posted:

if anything, she'd be way better on console because it's harder to react to a mei freezing you from behind. dropping a wall isn't exactly hard

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Efexeye posted:

everything about the Competitive system sucks. Why seed me at 46 if you're going to put me in like 15 straight losing games and im gonna play at 38 anyway? why do i get barely any xp when i win, yet lose almost a level when i lose? why the gently caress do i get dinged when other people leave? (gently caress that bullshit explanation, being down a character might as well be everyone on the team missing a mouse button)

I've decided to avoid competitive unless a goon group that picks me up wants to run it, it just feels so much less fun. I don't care about my rank as much as a gaudy golden weapon, but meh. Losing a 10 minute QM game is still fun unless my team absolutely throws it, losing a 20-30 minute comp match is just depressing and makes me not want to play anymore.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
bastion should get his self heal removed and replaced with building a little torbjorn out of lutefisk and toothpicks which runs around as a personal healbot

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Thank you for the advice Brannock, even when I lose I feel better knowing that I'm thinking critically about the game state. I'm also playing more impactful heroes.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I feel like Mei is literally the same as Pyro in TF2 in that she can be a loving terror to lesser-skilled (or simply less-aware) players but is easily countered by experienced players. Which is fine, not every hero has to be top-tier, but at the same time I would be very wary of either buffing or nerfing her because I'm not sure I'd want her to become impossible to counter for the average quick game or even more useless in competitive.

(in fact, the one-two combo of freeze+headshot reminds me a lot of burn+axtinguisher)

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Mei's counter is literally "have a battle buddy" so anyone complaining about mei is revealing themselves as the lone wolf flanker that goons love to complain about.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have some questions for the people who are good at this game.

1) How do you deal with a Pharah who knows how to play? This one seems really hard. The only real counter we've seen so far is having a better Pharah who wrecks the enemy team harder.

2) How do you deal with a Genji who knows how to play? Especially as a tank. I feel like the only way I can deal with a Genji is if I manage to 100% hit him as he's jumping around me with no margin for error whatsoever.

3) Which tanks are good in which situations? This might be a broad question, I'm asking it more about how to fit your comp/counter the enemy comp rather than which tanks fit in each stage.

4) Should we push for playing DPS when we're in a 3-man/4-man rather than guaranteeing having a tank and a support? I'm having some trouble figuring out how to optimize comps in general and maximizing our efficiency, especially when pugs sometimes deal less damage with Pharah and Junkrat than our non-Zarya tanks.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
All of the hit scan characters are hard counters to Pharah (S76, Widow, McCree).

Winston is a hard counter to Genji. Mei and Symmetra are decent counters to him as well, although they're not as versatile map-wise as Winston.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Winston is good against a lot of the most annoying heroes but then you're stuck playing as Winston

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Papercut posted:

Winston is a hard counter to Genji.

Can you explain what "hard counter" means?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Brannock posted:

Given equal skill they basically make the other character unplayable. Even with a skill disparity, you can greatly reduce the other character's effectiveness.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elentor posted:

I have some questions for the people who are good at this game.

1) How do you deal with a Pharah who knows how to play? This one seems really hard. The only real counter we've seen so far is having a better Pharah who wrecks the enemy team harder.

2) How do you deal with a Genji who knows how to play? Especially as a tank. I feel like the only way I can deal with a Genji is if I manage to 100% hit him as he's jumping around me with no margin for error whatsoever.

3) Which tanks are good in which situations? This might be a broad question, I'm asking it more about how to fit your comp/counter the enemy comp rather than which tanks fit in each stage.

4) Should we push for playing DPS when we're in a 3-man/4-man rather than guaranteeing having a tank and a support? I'm having some trouble figuring out how to optimize comps in general and maximizing our efficiency, especially when pugs sometimes deal less damage with Pharah and Junkrat than our non-Zarya tanks.

1) Have a Soldier 76 or Mccree (or both!) who knows how to play. Or even Widow.

2) Have a Mccree or Roadhog who knows how to play. Though any hitscan hero (76, mccree, widow) can check him decently.

3) Yeah this is way too broad of a question to give a particularly useful answer. Though some general advice:

- Winston is good on offense when the defense is able to hold high ground (first two points of Route 66, second point of Hollywood, etc.) or KotH. Generally not great on defense but isn't awful if he has verticality to take advantage of.
- Reinhardt is good on payload and 2cp on both offense on defense. Avoid on KotH unless you're running specific comps. You want people to shoot from behind your shield so pairs well with heroes who do that.
- Zarya is a very strong offensive secondary tank since Graviton Surge is an insane playmaker. Generally builds charge easier on offense since there will be more projectile spam coming at you most of the time. Pretty good on koth.
- Roadhog is better of defense than offense, especially if he has a reinhardt shield to hide behind as he hooks people. Playable on offense though. Has a rough time when he's the only tank. Works well on koth when paired with Winston or Zarya.
- Dva is bad.

4) The tanks and supports generally have lower execution requirements to reach an acceptable level of play so you generally want your strongest players on offensive classes. That isnt to say its trivial to play tank/support but I say speaking as a support player that the actual raw mechanics are simpler. This makes support/tank players great for making calls and other team duties though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Papercut posted:

All of the hit scan characters are hard counters to Pharah (S76, Widow, McCree).

Winston is a hard counter to Genji. Mei and Symmetra are decent counters to him as well, although they're not as versatile map-wise as Winston.

They absolutely are not hard counters or else Pharah wouldn't be dominating the comp scene which almost always has a 76 or Mccree (or both) on every team. They're decent checks though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Brannock posted:

It means that the character is geared toward specifically shutting down that type of event or opponent. Genji can't reflect Winston's left click, can't get through Winston's shield with his own left click, and has to close to extremely close range in order to use his ult, where Winston can do the exact same thing and win with a significantly larger health pool. In a 1v1 fight between Winston and Genji, Winston should win 9/10 times and the 10th should come down to luck or the Genji player being a minor demi-god among men.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The only hard counter is Pharah to Junkrat.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Countblanc posted:

They absolutely are not hard counters or else Pharah wouldn't be dominating the comp scene which almost always has a 76 or Mccree (or both) on every team. They're decent checks though.

The S76 job on those comp teams is literally just to kill the enemy Pharah, just like those Pharah's job is to hunt the enemy Mercy.

E: like yeah the S76 will shoot at everyone, but if the Pharah is doing damage that means the S76 is failing at his job

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Papercut posted:

Given equal skill they basically make the other character unplayable. Even with a skill disparity, you can greatly reduce the other character's effectiveness.

I would consider hard counter as Granite, Soapstone, Stainless steel, etc...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Verranicus posted:

The only hard counter is Pharah to Junkrat.

I don't get this joke

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FranktheBank posted:

Had a Mei in comp last night who popped a wall blocking us (her own team) off the point we were in 99/99 overtime. We lost.

Luckily we won the next three, but still...

gently caress that guy.

Also, he left the loving thing up.

You can do what now? Given how much I play Nazeebo I should've tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Papercut posted:

The S76 job on those comp teams is literally just to kill the enemy Pharah, just like those Pharah's job is to hunt the enemy Mercy.

E: like yeah the S76 will shoot at everyone, but if the Pharah is doing damage that means the S76 is failing at his job

this is an insane oversimplification and either you know that and you're just doubling down or you dont play comp