Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I'd say there's at least a five percent chance she remains and everyone has their own personal level of risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Michael Scott posted:

What I'm struggling to understand is, in markets like these, there's little foreseeable reason to get out and sell your shares at .75. Yet we see hundreds of shares for sale at .75, .8. Why is that? Do people have open sell orders open for 'no'?

It could only be open sell orders for no or open buy orders for yes, right?

When a market is new, every "Yes" share that is bought has a corresponding "No" share at the inverse price. You can see that when you place buy orders.

Also, some people are happy with just doubling their money in 20 minutes.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Necc0 posted:

'One in the Hand > Two in the Bush'

who's a mess- by the way

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

Haha it's already doubled. Whoever makes a shitload of money, feel free to throw me some bones for the hot tip, it'd be massively appreciated :3:

Seriously couldn't even drop a dime, June has been extremely lovely financially due to expected work/jobs being delayed out of my control.

EDIT: Holding out for Franken VP though!! My original shares were basically worthless at 7c so I just hung onto them.

I thought you were on Warren for VP.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I bought a good chunk of wasserman NO, but I can see clinton being "gently caress you" to the bernie people and keeping her on for another 6 months or something. I dunno if I would buy much higher than 80 unless there are some more concrete indications they will appoint a new chair at the convention than that huffpo article?

Also got some clinton.jail YES for 28, and sanders.endorse NO for 52. Some bids in on other related markets. Good luck all you sleepy often-confused hillary backers.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Vox Nihili posted:

I thought you were on Warren for VP.

I sold & cashed out to pay rent.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Still think the thread title should be No Really, Don't Bet On Polls imo

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Crap I sold all my Clinton shares, forgetting about the trader limit, and now I can't place orders to get back in :(

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Crap I sold all my Clinton shares, forgetting about the trader limit, and now I can't place orders to get back in :(

There are 3 other markets that are effectively the same thing, and should be at a comparable price.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Is DWS being replaced really such a lock? The only article I can find is the HuffPo one.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

Is DWS being replaced really such a lock? The only article I can find is the HuffPo one.

http://observer.com/2016/06/dnc-chair-debbie-wasserman-schultz-is-finally-kicked-to-the-curb/
http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/20/bernie-sanders-floated-to-replace-wasserman-schultz-as-dnc-chair/

Sanders replacing her is pretty :lol: not happening, but her duties have already been shifted away and it's likely she'll be replaced at the convention, as both a sop to her (to finish out the primary portion of the election) and to the Sanders faction (getting her booted).

At the least, it's likely enough to double my initial investment. :ocelot:
Probably sell off some to avoid losses and then ride this out a bit longer. Little over 3 weeks to the convention!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SurgicalOntologist posted:

What is the trader limit, and is based on individuals or total shares?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

OAquinas posted:

There are 3 other markets that are effectively the same thing, and should be at a comparable price.

Thanks for the reminder, forgot about those.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I bought DWS to stay at near 2-1. Not sure why she would resign in the middle of an election. She's already handed off power. Anyway, I think the price will trend up.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

Gyges posted:

What is the trader limit, and is based on individuals or total shares?

individuals. at any given time no more than 5000 people can own shares of a contract

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah, so if you're selling your position but might want to get back in later, leave 1 share.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Baddog posted:

Also got some clinton.jail YES for 28,

Unless you think the FBI is actually going to recommend indicting I'd back out of this ASAP. There's not much news left that can break that could put any further upward pressure on this besides the FBI just coming out and indicting her.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

well theoretically there could be some leak, from either inside the investigation, or from someone inside hillary's staff. but for there to be an actual prosecution, i feel like the feds would need to be holding some absolute smoking-gun bombshell pieces of evidence that no one has talked about in the media as of yet

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

I imagine the price will rise if/when the FBI actually brings Hillary in for an interview

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Isn't that supposed to be today?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah that's happening today. I'm guessing we'll get a few speculative pieces from 'experts' that will pump the price, but after that, there's nothing but waiting until they announce no charges will be brought.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

So when do you think the FBI will announce non-indictment / indictment? Before the convention? After? Could it be after the election even?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I'm fairly sure the FBI said that the Hillary interview would be the last part of the investigation so we'll probably be hearing official news pretty soon.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

My dumb personal opinion is pretty firm on the NO side of Clinton being charged. That said, yesterday I unloaded my shares for a 10% loss. I had bought too far into the market at too high of a price back when I just joined the site, and I'd rather not have the money tied up for half a year. Now I just have to resist the urge to buy back in :v:

The Australian election was super wacky. It looks like there's no clear majority, and some ballots won't get counted until Tuesday. I don't know how coalition-formation works in Australia so I'll probably be sitting this one out :shobon:

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
If RCP drops the two oldest polls for Clinton v Trump (more likely than not by July 6) then B5 is basically a lock. Clinton would need to make up 12 points over a +5 average to come back from that.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Also lol my DWS shares are a bloodbath, the price is back down to 31c for NO.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Necc0 posted:

I'm fairly sure the FBI said that the Hillary interview would be the last part of the investigation so we'll probably be hearing official news pretty soon.

They said they wanted to release their decision prior to the conventions, so it'll be within the next couple weeks. So we should get paid with time to drop the money on foolish things before Cleveland even starts to smoulder.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Death count in cleveland: sub500, 500-1000, 1000-2500, 2500+

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

If the FBI announces no charges, will the market still close in December or will they close it immediately?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I have extra funds floating in my account so I went ahead and bought into No Charges.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Bullfrog posted:

If the FBI announces no charges, will the market still close in December or will they close it immediately?

I've been wondering about this, too. The rules of the market don't refer to a specific investigation or a specific issue. If they leave it running the whole year, it will be pretty funny to see all the commenter meltdowns and price swings.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've been wondering about this, too. The rules of the market don't refer to a specific investigation or a specific issue. If they leave it running the whole year, it will be pretty funny to see all the commenter meltdowns and price swings.

They could technically close it early, but most likely it will remain open until the end date to avoid an early-closing scandal. Should spike to 90 if the FBI announces no charges though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If the FBI announces that they aren't pressing charges I imagine that the market will close. Then a new market will open involving Congressional hearings.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Shouldn't the comma and dash in the thread title be switched?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

should be formatted like this probably

https://twitter.com/dril/status/197502223226384387?lang=en

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Are there rules for which polls RCP drops after some amount of time / some number of new polls?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Michael Scott posted:

Are there rules for which polls RCP drops after some amount of time / some number of new polls?

The rules are the same as in Calvin Ball.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It'll be open for the whole year. The rules aren't specifically for this particular investigation so THEORETICALLY something else could arise causing the FBI to press charges.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Michael Scott posted:

If you can figure this out, then you can make a small fortune.

RCP's random(?) dropping of polls is one of the big points of Don't Bet On Polls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Son
Jul 23, 2009
I'm really glad I didn't put money on DWS being replaced at the convention a few days ago now, but at its current price I'm tempted.

• Locked thread