Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
HAHAHA MAXIMUM CHAOS AUSTRALIAN ELECTION THIS IS AMAZING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Enourmo posted:

You're awfully upset about a silly picture meatpimp.

I thought it was funny :shrug:

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
unfortunately i stayed up all last night playing doom so i didn't get to the polls in time to do my normal massive cock masterpiece, i was going to do a massive vagina to break the phallocentric norms.

they also ran out of sausages by the time i got there but i did manage to blow a lungful of weed smoke into the yuppie looking dude who tried to push a liberal party pamphlet in my face.

i have an issue with the liberals because i love sleaze and i love politics i just want them as separate as possible. like a wife and a mistress.
i have an issue with the labor party due to abolishing free education and implementing both mandatory detention and offshore processing (http://www.chasingasylum.com.au/ watch this)
i have an issue with the greens because they are idiots about guns and they backed away from cannabis legalization some time ago.

the problem with preferential voting is that because you just put the parties you would like in order and you cant waste your vote, you have to do some serious ethical thinking about where you want your vote to go. where as in america you just vote d and hope to god they arent poo poo this time.

in car related news, due to poverty and having electrical problems with the volvo fleet my dad lent me the family minivan (1996 vw van with seats bolted in the back, perfect for a family because washing it can be done with a hose both inside and out) and oh man 5cyl + 5 speed and a rotted exhaust. i forgot how good the pedal placement was for heel toe gearchanges. the funny thing is my dad retired and bought himself a new a45 amg (http://www.mercedes-amg.com/a45.php my american relative who is a bit of a car nerd hadnt heard of it) and its frankly mind bendingly fast and going from my 850 to the a45 is like going from a poo poo car in gran turismo to the top tier car in need for speed. me and my dad got to drive at sandown in some new mercedes and amgs because he bought it and the a45 is easily my fav of the new lineup due to its hilarious farty exhaust + luxurious interior combo (sounds like a fart canned evo, but with a seriously nice feeling interior). honestly though i prefer the van purely for the 3 pedal enjoyment because you cant do anything fun in the amg until you are breaking laws but nailing a heel toe downshift and the amount of lift off oversteer the thing has makes it satisfying as gently caress to hustle a technical road at like 60kph. when my dad hangs up the keys i want the van, my little brother can have the amg, he cant drive worth poo poo anyway.

sorry for the long post, its an election day tradition for me to get messy as hell to celebrate the end to political advertisements and the constant barrage of empty suits filling the airwaves using a lot of words to say nothing at all.

and yes, i was very disappointed to find out what a hung parliament actually was.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

HAHAHA MAXIMUM CHAOS AUSTRALIAN ELECTION THIS IS AMAZING

Please answer my question on who the vegan candidate is. Thank you.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

CharlesM posted:

im assuming either ajp weirdo single-issue animal rights partiy or the greens, a decidedly soft leftist party who want to hug trees and ban all guns (it must be said i quite like not being shot tho)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So it turns out that Mk4 Fiesta handbrake cables are actually slightly different lengths left and right. Wasn't mentioned at all in the Haynes manual, which is irritating.

gently caress it, they "fit" and it seems to work.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CharlesM posted:

I would vote for a vegetable over the current US candidates

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just spent my annual bonus on landscaping materials. drat, easy come easy go. Distinctly un-AI I know but hey.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The block in my neighborhood had our Independence Day block party last night and drat if I don't live in the coolest neighborhood ever. Of a little over 20 houses just 3 didn't make it due to vacations/prior obligations. Everyone brings food and fireworks. With Utah recently allowing aerial fireworks we were up until nearly 11:00 lighting them off. Add about 75 kids in the mix all running around and playing and having a great time and this is a piece of heaven that life has to offer.
Followed that up by going in the garage and working on some RC cars until 2:30 in the morning makes for a tired but happy Somewhat Heroic.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The block in my neighborhood had our Independence Day block party last night and drat if I don't live in the coolest neighborhood ever. Of a little over 20 houses just 3 didn't make it due to vacations/prior obligations. Everyone brings food and fireworks. With Utah recently allowing aerial fireworks we were up until nearly 11:00 lighting them off. Add about 75 kids in the mix all running around and playing and having a great time and this is a piece of heaven that life has to offer.
Followed that up by going in the garage and working on some RC cars until 2:30 in the morning makes for a tired but happy Somewhat Heroic.
You're supposed to combine the RC vehicles with the fireworks, neighborhood kids always loved when I shot roman candles from the helicopter or poppers from the sailplane. Makes me miss living in a fun neighborhood where everyone talks to each other and helps each other out. Current neighborhood is nice but only a couple people will even wave back and only one talks to me. My parents neighborhood has at least one party each summer and it's a great time.

Spent a couple hours this morning working on the 928 overheating issue. Ended up being no auxiliary fan caused by a bad relay...a massive 50A relay that's NLA. Was able to find a 40A that I soldered into the 50A housing and the fan didn't blow a 30A fuse in testing so I should be ok. Still is temperamental about turning on though so I need to figure out the temp switch wiring and see if that's bad.

This all started after I put a for sale sign on it for the drive to the E30 meet :argh:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

NitroSpazzz posted:

You're supposed to combine the RC vehicles with the fireworks, neighborhood kids always loved when I shot roman candles from the helicopter or poppers from the sailplane. Makes me miss living in a fun neighborhood where everyone talks to each other and helps each other out. Current neighborhood is nice but only a couple people will even wave back and only one talks to me. My parents neighborhood has at least one party each summer and it's a great time.

Spent a couple hours this morning working on the 928 overheating issue. Ended up being no auxiliary fan caused by a bad relay...a massive 50A relay that's NLA. Was able to find a 40A that I soldered into the 50A housing and the fan didn't blow a 30A fuse in testing so I should be ok. Still is temperamental about turning on though so I need to figure out the temp switch wiring and see if that's bad.

This all started after I put a for sale sign on it for the drive to the E30 meet :argh:

Find the proper relay, the inductive load of the motor is what the relay contact rating is for, not the current through a non-switched conductor. The failure mode may be that the contacts disconnect only partway and weld themselves together in some high-resistance connection, causing a fire. Remember that the older Ford Taurus and some Volvos have fancy 70A rated fan relays, and you can pick up the socket for them as well.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay, news!

We just bought a 1998 CRV, 2WD. Got if for cheap (around 1500), considering the market. It's got a few dents and has a catalyst code, but we talked the seller down from 2200 to 1500 due to the code (cleared, have put maybe 20 miles on it so far, and the catalyst went "OK" according to torque, so maybe it's intermittent). The only real issue is the front passenger wheel. It's either a bad CV joint, or a bad wheel bearing. With the car sitting, I can click the wheel forwards/backwards (twist, you know) and click it back and forth pretty badly. It also makes terrible clacks and crunches occasionally while driving.

HONDA GOD STR: How hosed am I with the hub?

More news!

Guy coming by with a trailer RIGHT NOW to buy the explorer, for its transmission!

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

Geirskogul posted:

Okay, news!

We just bought a 1998 CRV, 2WD. Got if for cheap (around 1500), considering the market. It's got a few dents and has a catalyst code, but we talked the seller down from 2200 to 1500 due to the code (cleared, have put maybe 20 miles on it so far, and the catalyst went "OK" according to torque, so maybe it's intermittent). The only real issue is the front passenger wheel. It's either a bad CV joint, or a bad wheel bearing. With the car sitting, I can click the wheel forwards/backwards (twist, you know) and click it back and forth pretty badly. It also makes terrible clacks and crunches occasionally while driving.

More news!

Guy coming by with a trailer RIGHT NOW to buy the explorer, for its transmission!

iirc crvs use all civic gubbins for suspension, at least thats what i heard from some guy i used to know with a slammed one. hondas are pretty easy to work on so you should be fine i its unrusted as i think its just a conventional setup (the accords had something funky going on but i dont remember what)

edit crv, not crx, not that it matters everything thats not an accord will bolt up to everything else thats not an accord.

big dong wanter fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 2, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
What does a crx have to do with a crv

Edit annnnnnnnd that's what I get for not refreshing

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

iwentdoodie posted:

What does a crx have to do with a crv

Edit annnnnnnnd that's what I get for not refreshing

its ok i've spent the last 20 or so hours drinking.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

its ok i've spent the last 20 or so hours drinking.

You have a lot more drinking to do if you expect to surpass Tide's posting

:colbert:

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

Goober Peas posted:

You have a lot more drinking to do if you expect to surpass Tide's posting

:colbert:

unfortunately i just spent the last of my funbux on some stella and now im sobering up. its hosed, i've never run out of booze before a pm was anounced

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone
last time this bullshit hung parliament thing happened at least i was at my parents house whilst they were out and had access to a wealthy old english womans liqour cabinet and i had a job so i bought a shitload of booze. its not fair, the govt should give every citizen like 500 bucks for putting up with their bullshit every 3 years. if your gonna put your loving face everywhere at least have the common decency to either be attractive or buy me enough booze to make me think you are. paul ryan is a horrible pollitician but at least billboards with his face on them arent visually repulsive.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone
the only redeeming thing is that i just pirated the gently caress out of the new avalanches album and its worth the 16 year wait (i preordered an lp but it hasnt arrived yet)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CharlesM posted:

Beardy McHorsefucker

OMG I wake up and the chaos for this election has kept going.................! Holy poo poo this is amazing!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hey this game of thrones thing is quite good, I can't wait to see how my favourite character prog-HOLY gently caress nevermind.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Cakefool posted:

Hey this game of thrones thing is quite good, I can't wait to see how my favourite character prog-HOLY gently caress nevermind.

Trial by fire.

Bike Chatte: Had a lovely ride that ended loving annoyingly. I got dropped off the back of the A group and was picked up by the B group because I got a cramp in my left calf. Then I ran over something that cut my back tire all the way across. I blew a tube twice trying to get it to the gas station at the end of the ride. Ended up kinda sorta booting the tire and made it a few miles before throwing in the towel and getting a ride back. loving sucks because conti GP4000s2's are really expensive and this one's dead. loving lame. Now I'm on the lovely alex wheels I have sitting around for emergencies. Day one of being sober too. Wife in not so many words threatened divorce if I drink again. Welp.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Beardy McHorsefucker

OMG I wake up and the chaos for this election has kept going.................! Holy poo poo this is amazing!

please give me a real name

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cross-posting the video from my thread, mixed news as my clutch now works but reverse does not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdb0wJKMMVA

Still, exciting poo poo.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Got a text last night from our neighbours asking if we wanted to pop round for a mojito while their dinner cooked. Next thing I know it's 2:30 am, ten bottles of wine and half a bottle of rum have been done in. Three PM today and the breathalyser was saying I was still four and a half times over the limit :aaaaa: Car fixing plans are now in the shitter because I couldn't get to ECP to pick up my order, it's half ten at night and I'm still hungover to gently caress.... at least it was a good night!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit. I forget how good cats are at hiding. Just spent a good 15-20 minutes freaking out because I couldn't find my cat.

Finally found him above the fridge. rear end in a top hat. He never showed an interest in getting up there before. He's currently chilling in the cabinet above.

Geirskogul posted:

Got a slide hammer? The hub and bearing are press fit. It's a very typical FWD hub assembly, without captive rotors.

With the wheel off, you should be able to get a feel for it being the CV or bearing. Both could cause that, though if you can actually turn the wheel a bit, I'd be looking at CV joints. Half shafts are dirt cheap, and aren't hard to replace, though you may lose some transmission fluid when you pull the axle. If it's automatic, make drat sure you use Honda ATF. If it's manual, Honda MTF or 10W30 to top off the gearbox. Swapping the axle is easy.

The catalyst code will come and go until it's bad enough to set the code for good. Went through that on one of my Civics, and also on my Ion. You should be able to pull codes on that without a scan tool too; there's a (green or blue, I think) 2 pin plug behind the passenger kick panel. Short it and the CEL will blink the codes out for you. There's another plug back there that's black or white; I don't remember what that one is for, but don't short it. It follows the 2 digit Honda codes, not OBD2 codes.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 2, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cakefool posted:

It's the best thing about the series (and books) IMO, the fact that pretty much nobody is safe from the axe (or sword, or rope, or fire...).

I waited until the final episode this season then signed up for the free trial of HBO Now and then binge watched the full season in 3 days. Best way to watch GoT. Normally do it about a year after the first episode comes out when the DVD comes out, so this year I only had 10 weeks or so between season 5 and 6.

Reminds me I need to cancel HBO Now before I get billed for it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm rewatching GoT from the start now that this last season finally had a reason to be on TV and wasn't just Stupid Jon Snow Can't Stop Making Stupid Faces and Bad Decisions like the last 2, 3 seasons, and it's amazing how much more sense it makes now that I have a clue who the gently caress half the 400 bearded guys with dark hair in season 1 are.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

Got a slide hammer? The hub and bearing are press fit. It's a very typical FWD hub assembly, without captive rotors.

With the wheel off, you should be able to get a feel for it being the CV or bearing. Both could cause that, though if you can actually turn the wheel a bit, I'd be looking at CV joints. Half shafts are dirt cheap, and aren't hard to replace, though you may lose some transmission fluid when you pull the axle. If it's automatic, make drat sure you use Honda ATF. If it's manual, Honda MTF or 10W30 to top off the gearbox. Swapping the axle is easy.

The catalyst code will come and go until it's bad enough to set the code for good. Went through that on one of my Civics, and also on my Ion. You should be able to pull codes on that without a scan tool too; there's a (green or blue, I think) 2 pin plug behind the passenger kick panel. Short it and the CEL will blink the codes out for you. There's another plug back there that's black or white; I don't remember what that one is for, but don't short it. It follows the 2 digit Honda codes, not OBD2 codes.

Messaged you on FB but I bought a bearing and I should probably go get a slide hammer. All the YouTube videos show them using that to remove the hub inner from the knuckle (? terminology) before removing the entire knuckle to hammer out the bearing. I've got a bluetooth obd2 tool and yeah it was throwing P0170 and P0172, fuel bank 1 too rich. This thing looks like it's seen some poo poo, it has a distributor on there with junkyard paint pen markings.

Also I thought it was 2WD but there's a sticker on the back window that says Realtime 4WD. It's been too goddamn hot for me to actually bend down and look underneath (and I forgot, to be honest).

I picked up a new O2 sensor (upstream) just in case. It was cheaper at like $50 for an actual Denso. I'd like to start diagnosis with a clean slate. Also I can't register it with a check engine light so I'm sacrificing money for speed.

Also it came with a picnic table in the back. That's...unique.

I'll end CRV chat here and move this to my thread, but today has been busy.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm rewatching GoT from the start now that this last season finally had a reason to be on TV and wasn't just Stupid Jon Snow Can't Stop Making Stupid Faces and Bad Decisions like the last 2, 3 seasons, and it's amazing how much more sense it makes now that I have a clue who the gently caress half the 400 bearded guys with dark hair in season 1 are.

I have the sixth season ready and am going to start it tonight. One of the few things that kept me sane through my deployment.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

DJ Commie posted:

Find the proper relay, the inductive load of the motor is what the relay contact rating is for, not the current through a non-switched conductor. The failure mode may be that the contacts disconnect only partway and weld themselves together in some high-resistance connection, causing a fire. Remember that the older Ford Taurus and some Volvos have fancy 70A rated fan relays, and you can pick up the socket for them as well.
Dang, time to go dig through relays for a while. Sadly the relay didn't fix it anyway, think the temp switch or wiring to/from it is bad.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My son was featured on our local MLB team's FB page about the awesome baseball camp for kids they have each year, and people used the opportunity to poo poo all over the team who have been struggling lately in the comments right next to his picture.

Yay Face Book

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Geirskogul posted:

We talked the seller down from 2200 to 1500 due to the code (cleared, have put maybe 20 miles on it so far, and the catalyst went "OK" according to torque, so maybe it's intermittent).

You talked someone down 700 United States Dollars for a catalyst code? Is this what its like to live in a place with inspections?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

You talked someone down 700 United States Dollars for a catalyst code? Is this what its like to live in a place with inspections?

There are no 'inspections' here, but there are emissions tests, and a code will prevent you from registering it since it won't pass emissions.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

leica posted:

My son was featured on our local MLB team's FB page about the awesome baseball camp for kids they have each year, and people used the opportunity to poo poo all over the team who have been struggling lately in the comments right next to his picture.

Yay Face Book

To be fair I'm pretty sure your team is the Rays and they've been pretty god awful lately.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

1500quidporsche posted:

To be fair I'm pretty sure your team is the Rays and they've been pretty god awful lately.

Yeah but like, maybe do your poo poo talking amongst like-minded adults, and not in a place that small children who are fans of the team regardless will be going to look at pictures of themselves? idk maybe that's just me,

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
yeah, that might be the reason it was still registered to her mother with a 2-year plate expiring in November.

I threw some injector cleaner in it and put a new gas cap on there ($10), and cleared the code. I'm also doing the upstream O2 sensor because why not.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Just went to a Lancashire Hotpots gig. It was awesome and I got a Fred Dibnah shirt.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I mentioned I was re-seasoning my cast irons the other day?

Yeah I think we can call that a success.

E: Also I finally have coffee cups for my coffee, instead of, y'know, solo cups. You really don't appreciate those mugs until you're sweating feeling the plastic deform in your hand and questioning whether or not it will melt. I guess there's a reason most places use paper cups for coffee.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 3, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man, if you wanted plastic solvents in your coffee you should stick with carnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I decided to clean out the inside of my computer and now somehow my GPU is hitting 100 degrees C whenever I run a game. I've reapplied thermal paste to it twice, which did not help, so now I'm at a loss.

• Locked thread