Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Go ahead and go massively into debt and make the biggest single purchase of your life, and see how you feel when its value fluctuates wildly due to factors outside your control.

Everything's value fluctuates due to factors outside of your control. HOAs are the result of the same impulse that makes people try to save "their" parking spaces in a public street, or try to ban certain kinds of traffic from "their" public street. They don't want to pay for those things, but they want to control them anyway, because people are jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Go ahead and go massively into debt and make the biggest single purchase of your life, and see how you feel when its value fluctuates wildly due to factors outside your control. I mean, I'm not saying that HOAs necessarily help much with stabilizing property values, since the biggest factor seems to be how the economy in general is doing. I guess it's kind of like how people appreciate the massive security lines at airports even though they don't do squat for actual security: the appearance of helping is more important than actually helping.

Isn't this an argument against HOAs? You literally just said that you don't even know if they actually do anything about the entire claimed reason for their existence and compared them to security theater.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Idran posted:

Isn't this an argument against HOAs? You literally just said that you don't even know if they actually do anything about property value and compared them to security theater.

The implication being that people go for HOAs based on emotional responses instead of because they determined that the HOA was a net positive "investment" (or insurance, or whatever). I never said HOAs were a good thing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Somes HOAs are good. Some HOAs are bad. In some places in the country houses are nearly all in HOAs, other places they are rare. Everyone has difference experiences with HOAs and painting someone with a HOA as being dumb or a racist is not cool.

:parrot:
:yosbutt:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

FCKGW posted:

Somes HOAs are good. Some HOAs are bad. In some places in the country houses are nearly all in HOAs, other places they are rare. Everyone has difference experiences with HOAs and painting someone with a HOA as being dumb or a racist is not cool.

:parrot:
:yosbutt:

Don't you dare show your nuanced views around here

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HoAs are Cool And Good so long as they give you power to be a petty tyrant, and bad when someone else can be a petty tyrant over you.

Our city only allows sparklers and fountains', and a cop drove slowly through our neighborhood last year telling everyone to put them out, because she misinterpreted some sort of 'fireworks that go up' generalization as 'ban anything that sends sparks upwards' and not 'no actual rockets'

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Phanatic posted:

Everything's value fluctuates due to factors outside of your control. HOAs are the result of the same impulse that makes people try to save "their" parking spaces in a public street, or try to ban certain kinds of traffic from "their" public street. They don't want to pay for those things, but they want to control them anyway, because people are jerks.

That same impulse led to my favorite legal comeuppance story (and crappy construction tale) from my lawyer Father-in-Law. Guy had lakefront property on a reasonably popular lake. Turns out he wanted "lakefront peace-and-quiet" and got tired of boats/jetskis going by at a decent clip on "his end of the lake." So what does he do? Has a whole bunch of sand dumped in the lake front of his house, creating a sandbar. Which the DEQ did not appreciate. Also, sandbars on lakes are where the pontoon boats anchor for parties. So he ended up with a massive fine from the DEQ and a whole bunch of party boats anchored directly in front of his house.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bad Munki posted:

Neighborhood I'm moving to has an HOA, all six houses of it. Apparently when the developer made it, he tried to make it super strict, but he's gone now and the neighborhood has become what it is and really always was: marginally rural Iowa. Now the HOA largely exists in name only, for the purpose of maintaining the gravel road. Guy I'm buying the house from (he was the treasurer) said they last met a year or two ago? So they may not even be meeting the requirements to actually be an HOA at this point and people are just voluntarily (knowingly or otherwise) pitching in to keep the road functional. Nice houses, though, and acreage. My kind of HOA, for sure.

Plus, it sounds like a couple of the families have grown up kids and that tends to lead to downsizing, which means a house or two could go up for sale in the next few years, and I have some friends that might be interested...hostile takeover, anyone? :getin:

Man, it's Iowa. Passive-aggressive takeover at best. :)

I'm looking to buy out here in the next couple years as well, soon as I can find something sufficiently rural that doesn't have some 5-bedroom 3-bath no-garage bullshit plopped in the middle of it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Liquid Communism posted:

Man, it's Iowa. Passive-aggressive takeover at best. :)
Hahaha, okay, that's fair.

quote:

I'm looking to buy out here in the next couple years as well, soon as I can find something sufficiently rural that doesn't have some 5-bedroom 3-bath no-garage bullshit plopped in the middle of it.
"Out here" Iowa? Or "out here" somewhere else midwest? Either way, garages can be cheap, just put up a pole barn and bob's your uncle.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

moist turtleneck posted:

My neighborhood opted out of becoming part of the city when the city expanded. We only have to abide by county rules even though literally everyone around us is in the city. This means that the neighbor kids shoot off fireworks every day of the year. The best part though is shooting them off on Fourth of July which makes other neighborhoods think that it's okay and when they do the cops storm out to the no fireworks areas and confiscate everyone's stuff

Ahahaha this is awesome.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bad Munki posted:

Hahaha, okay, that's fair.

"Out here" Iowa? Or "out here" somewhere else midwest? Either way, garages can be cheap, just put up a pole barn and bob's your uncle.

Out here as in just south of Des Moines. :)

I wish I'd been in the market 10 years ago, before they threw up square miles of tract housing all over the west side and now started pricing up the south side to the point that farmers are selling cropland for 'executive' lots.

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
I Inherited five condos that are all part of the same HOA. Every member of the board is 60+. They all like me better than the person i inherited the condos from. They *all* wanted me to be on the board of directors, until they learned that the condos aren't in my name, they are owned by businesses which were created specifically for this purpose. They all turned on me when their lawyer said that what i was doing is "shady" and "marginally illegal" (Despite having all this set up by my own lawyer) and that the only people who can be a member of the board of directors has to personally own a condo.

They did not appreciate it when i informed that the one vote they allotted to me on issues that might arise which need tenant/owner permission to do. I told them that as long as i pay the taxes/monthly HOA fees, i have five votes.
They aren't bad people, but considering the condo bylaws havn't been updated since 1976, they are a little behind on. To be fair, they are fairly quick on getting things fixed that needing fixing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Liquid Communism posted:

Out here as in just south of Des Moines. :)

I wish I'd been in the market 10 years ago, before they threw up square miles of tract housing all over the west side and now started pricing up the south side to the point that farmers are selling cropland for 'executive' lots.

Oh, cool. I lived in Norwalk four years ago, now we're heading back. Van Meter this time.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

FlashBewin posted:

the condos aren't in my name, they are owned by businesses which were created specifically for this purpose. They all turned on me when their lawyer said that what i was doing is "shady" and "marginally illegal" (Despite having all this set up by my own lawyer) and that the only people who can be a member of the board of directors has to personally own a condo.

I was under the impression that this was fairly standard when owning rental property, to protect the other properties and personal assets being subject to lawsuits.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I was under the impression that this was fairly standard when owning rental property, to protect the other properties and personal assets being subject to lawsuits.

Yeah, typically through an LLC for small holdings like that (I'm making an assumption that we're not talking $1mil+ condos here). Same with any business, really. Unless there was something really fucky about the bylaws or deed restrictions (requiring owner occupancy, for example), there should be no reason any form of corporation could not own five properties.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm going to guess the "shady" and "marginally illegal" bit is an interpretation by the olds in question after talking to the lawyer they have spent decades training to give them just enough of answer to make them go away.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

I'm an HOA and i'm dumb as poo poo

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

FlashBewin posted:

They all turned on me when their lawyer said that what i was doing is "shady" and "marginally illegal"

"marginally illegal" in this fine country means "gently caress you got mine pay better attention to your laws and who you vote for pleb, I'm a landlord".

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Less talk more construction failures:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kid sinister posted:

Failure my rear end, where's your sense of adventure? :science:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Hey, what's wrong with that? It'll still interrupt current if the current gets high enough :D

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So which RTU was that hooked up to?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

FlashBewin posted:

I Inherited five condos that are all part of the same HOA. Every member of the board is 60+. They all like me better than the person i inherited the condos from. They *all* wanted me to be on the board of directors, until they learned that the condos aren't in my name, they are owned by businesses which were created specifically for this purpose. They all turned on me when their lawyer said that what i was doing is "shady" and "marginally illegal" (Despite having all this set up by my own lawyer) and that the only people who can be a member of the board of directors has to personally own a condo.

They did not appreciate it when i informed that the one vote they allotted to me on issues that might arise which need tenant/owner permission to do. I told them that as long as i pay the taxes/monthly HOA fees, i have five votes.
They aren't bad people, but considering the condo bylaws havn't been updated since 1976, they are a little behind on. To be fair, they are fairly quick on getting things fixed that needing fixing.

They probably read the business part and assumed you're angling for a takeover, since that's pretty common with condos.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

kid sinister posted:

"What the gently caress is a 'damage curve'?!? "

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Phanatic posted:

Well, there's a thing you just don't see every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHraJArVTMw

OK, I'll say it. There must have been a failure of his block of concrete or the chain connecting it.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

When my parents were looking for a bigger house back when I was in middle school, there was one house they liked but ultimately chose not to bid on because of the HOA covenant, which included things as petty as "You can only have white curtains in your front windows." Ultimately we got a house built in a neighborhood where our yearly HOA dues pretty much just go to keeping up the pool and clubhouse, and we've gotten pretty good use out of that over the years. Parties and Girl Scout meetings in the clubhouse, summers in the pool.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
HOA's can be good or bad. The HOA in my development is dumb, but equally strict across the board. Everyone has to keep the yard mowed, no wrecked cars in the driveway, no lovely paint. Pool looks nice and the shrubs are trimmed. I recently drove through a development built by the same company, in a cheaper area but really up-and-coming area. Same houses, same age, holy poo poo ugly. Very few people bothered to mow or landscape, paint looked tatty, busted cars in driveways. Now, If you have a front yard and fence and space between houses, you can do whatever the hell you want. But when people are trying to live on top of each other in suburban harmony without fences and big common areas, an HOA is a must. If you want your HOA to be better, join it yourself and affect positive change in your neighborhood!

Now. Do I like living in a development? No. Do I have to right now? Yes! Can I make my situation better by becoming active in my community? Double yes! And that's how I became captain of the neighborhood watch.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Found this while walking my dog

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

Found this while walking my dog

Should've probably tied your dog to it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Suspect Bucket posted:

HOA's can be good or bad. The HOA in my development is dumb, but equally strict across the board. Everyone has to keep the yard mowed, no wrecked cars in the driveway, no lovely paint. Pool looks nice and the shrubs are trimmed. I recently drove through a development built by the same company, in a cheaper area but really up-and-coming area. Same houses, same age, holy poo poo ugly. Very few people bothered to mow or landscape, paint looked tatty, busted cars in driveways. Now, If you have a front yard and fence and space between houses, you can do whatever the hell you want. But when people are trying to live on top of each other in suburban harmony without fences and big common areas, an HOA is a must. If you want your HOA to be better, join it yourself and affect positive change in your neighborhood!

Now. Do I like living in a development? No. Do I have to right now? Yes! Can I make my situation better by becoming active in my community? Double yes! And that's how I became captain of the neighborhood watch.

This is pretty much true. The place I live in now has a a lot of rules, but man do they make it great to live here. They have landscapers out pretty much every other day, the whole complex gets repainted like every other year, if something breaks, they fix it either the same day or next day. Only downside is you're technically not supposed to work on cars in any way, but they don't enforce that. And I can't park my work van at home, but apparently that's a city thing, so it's whatever. Commercial vehicle bans are dumb, but not much I can do about it atm.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

This is pretty much true. The place I live in now has a a lot of rules, but man do they make it great to live here. They have landscapers out pretty much every other day, the whole complex gets repainted like every other year, if something breaks, they fix it either the same day or next day. Only downside is you're technically not supposed to work on cars in any way, but they don't enforce that. And I can't park my work van at home, but apparently that's a city thing, so it's whatever. Commercial vehicle bans are dumb, but not much I can do about it atm.

A guy in my neighborhood has something like 8 or 10 trucks parked in front of his house. Three in the driveway, the rest on the street. I know he runs a business, but I'm not sure if they're all owned by him or if he has that many people living in his house.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Apparently plain white vans are allowed, but since mine has lettering and a roof rack, it's a no go. I could keep it if I could fit it in the garage, but it's already taller than the garage without the ladder rack, so lol.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have a company car that's logoed, and the rule in my city is only one per house. If my wife was offered the same benefit we'd be violators. I'm sure we'd get away with it, and I feel like you could've enforced a different rule to avoid businesses in neighborhoods.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

What?! Is this some kind of "The Omen" floor style?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Very few people bothered to mow or landscape, paint looked tatty, busted cars in driveways. Now, If you have a front yard and fence and space between houses, you can do whatever the hell you want. But when people are trying to live on top of each other in suburban harmony without fences and big common areas, an HOA is a must. If you want your HOA to be better, join it yourself and affect positive change in your neighborhood!

Actually no, I feel other people don't have a right to tell me I can't fix my loving truck in my own driveway, or for that matter, how many cars I can park on my yard, or whether or not I'm allowed to paint my house bright purple. And if it affects their property values? Too loving bad! My job in life is not to protect your property values.

But then, I may place a higher value on "property as space for you to do your thing" vs. other people's "property as investment."

I'm very glad my neighborhood doesn't have an HOA. Some of the houses look shabby and some of them look nice. Some people care about having immaculately trimmed shrubbery and green lawns and some prefer to collect beer cans. My neighborhood's purpose is for people to live in, my neighbors like loud mariachi music and someone nearby has a rooster and a lot of us have dead lawns (it's California and a dead lawn is kind of a civic pride thing these days anyway) and OK, the city told me I had to keep my garbage cans out of view of the street, but that's a very minimal intrusion (and all the houses in my neighborhood have side gates and back yards, so it's not hard for anyone to comply). My next door neighbor has a decrepit Peugot out front that he and his son are eventually gonna fix up one of these days, and nobody should be able to tell him he has to get rid of that dream because it won't fit in his garage and it's an "eyesore" or some poo poo like that.

So yeah, you have a shared road or a pool that needs upkeeping? Cool, HOA is perfect. You want to impose your idea of suburban idyllic gentry on my property with a bunch of rules that have nothing to do with health, safety, or crime? gently caress you and your HOA.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

See, this is what happens when you pay your cousin a twelve-pack to tile your floor before he actually tiles it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Expanding foam is a lot cheaper than grout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Leperflesh posted:

So yeah, you have a shared road or a pool that needs upkeeping? Cool, HOA is perfect. You want to impose your idea of suburban idyllic gentry on my property with a bunch of rules that have nothing to do with health, safety, or crime? gently caress you and your HOA.

That is basically what my post covered. Chill. Also, I'm in Florida, the land of if you don't keep your grass mowed and stray puddles of water undumped and garbage secured, killer mosquitoes and alligators and wild pigs will move in. We all have shared ponds, drainage areas, and greenspaces that need to be kept from being over-run by Smilax, Air Potato, kudzu, feral muscadine, Poison Ivy/Oak, and Morning Glory.

I hate lawns. I will never willingly own one that animals are not using for grazing or for a wildflower field. But if you're gonna have a lovely green lawn in front of your lovely house, at least keep it mowed. If you don't want to mow, for half the price as a house here you can go 15 minutes west and buy an acre and drop a trailer on it, and the only community involvement you need to participate in is the roaring meth industry.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 4, 2016