Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Boris Johnson's hair is his most enduring characteristic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Boris Johnson's hair is his most enduring characteristic.

is trump or boris hair more iconic.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

is trump or boris hair more iconic.

Trump because it isn't part of his genetic makeup.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Hammerite posted:

Lol at Vote Leave/Tory leadership candidates saying all week that they will be able to negotiate access to the single market without having to allow freedom of movement. The EU haven't given that to anybody else and have been entirely clear that if we think we can get any such thing, we can think again.

"My official position on this matter is that we as a nation can have our cake and eat it" - Michael Gove

What a loving surprise that a literal overgrown neonate would have that opinion

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i feel like any tory pm in charge when they give the eu freedom of movement will be destroyed politically

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Junkfist posted:

I've heard a lot of different opinions on this whole European Union thing but I feel like I can't really come to a conclusion on the issue until I see the Iron Pill take on it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Automatic Slim posted:

It's the elephant in the room and I can't stand it any longer. What the gently caress is up with Boris Johnson's hair? Is he so austerity that he can't afford a comb? Has no one ever pulled him aside and told him about pomade?

It's like Trump overly preened his hair and Boris took the exact opposite approach.

hes obviously training to hold the super saiyan form for extended periods of time

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Automatic Slim posted:

It's the elephant in the room and I can't stand it any longer. What the gently caress is up with Boris Johnson's hair? Is he so austerity that he can't afford a comb? Has no one ever pulled him aside and told him about pomade?

It's like Trump overly preened his hair and Boris took the exact opposite approach.

If you got it, flaunt it.

corn in the bible posted:

i feel like any tory pm in charge when they give the eu freedom of movement will be destroyed politically

I don't know....we could easily go the Swiss route and tell them to shove it for countries we don't like the sound of like Switzerland did:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26214138

but wait, they reneged on that....sorta....until 2017 anyway....partially based on how we decide to vote in the UK referendum....

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-swiss-eu-immigration-croatia-idUSKCN0W60P7

But wait again! Germany is the top export location for the Swiss, so they probably gave in...! However!....for the UK it's the US....but then Germany is our 2nd...

However! Switzerland's highest trade deficit is with the UK though, which is also interesting! :tinfoil:

This stuff is so confusing I just wish Boris Johnson would sort it all out for me, get rid of the immigrants, keep my apartment in Spain, and I don't 't need to understand any of this or make my own decisions.

spud fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 3, 2016

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
hey guys you need to tone down the racism, we are expelling potential GBS posters

Centripetal Horse posted:

Is anyone here participating in the GBS Brexit thread? It's pretty much the opposite of this thread, with Brexiters celebrating their glorious victory, and repeatedly quoting the £350,000,000 figure. It's too long for me to comb through the whole thing, but I am dying to know what undoubtedly hilarious arguments are being put forth in there to explain why the London financial industry isn't going to collapse, and why it won't matter if it does, and why the UK is much more important to the EU than vice-versa, and why the UK is certain to maintain access to the single market because UK. I actually saw some hints of that last one.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You don't "participate" in GBS, you "are" GBS.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

does every subforum have its own brexit thread? jfc heading over to pet island

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol just lol if you didn't know about the PETXIT thread.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Lichy posted:

hey guys you need to tone down the racism, we are expelling potential GBS posters

oh no, whatever will we do without the dregs of the other subforums posting right here ITT

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The people who are asking for a new referendum or are trying to null the results disgust me so loving much. We've had an amazing situation where people had the power to directly affect the direction of their country and now the same people who celebrate progressive values are suddenly trying to limit the effectiveness of democracy. The will and voice of the people is a beautiful thing, and while I personally don't agree with the result or the racist narrative of the leave voters, I can agree that democracy has served it's purpose. The result is undeniable and anyone who opposes it is moving dangerously close to fascism.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
the people have spoken, there is a clear mandate ...just hold on a lil while as we figure out what the loving gently caress

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Good, haha

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

kikkelivelho posted:

The people who are asking for a new referendum or are trying to null the results disgust me so loving much. We've had an amazing situation where people had the power to directly affect the direction of their country and now the same people who celebrate progressive values are suddenly trying to limit the effectiveness of democracy. The will and voice of the people is a beautiful thing, and while I personally don't agree with the result or the racist narrative of the leave voters, I can agree that democracy has served it's purpose. The result is undeniable and anyone who opposes it is moving dangerously close to fascism.

i don't agree since democratic mandates are routinely twisted or interpreted in whatever direction politicians feel like without descending into fascism but I think it would be very dangerous for the political class to attempt to go against this referendum by, for instance, trying for a deal that allows for free movement of people. The referendum campaign unleashed forces that they can't control and if they're thwarted again will cause them to flock to any far right movement that shows up to exploit the obvious weakness of the British political system.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Jose Mengelez posted:

the people have spoken, there is a clear mandate ...just hold on a lil while as we figure out what the loving gently caress

yeah lol, that's the other hosed up thing about this. The financial and political elite are trying to delay and ignore the results of the referendum because it might hurt their bottom line. How hosed up is it that these people are willing to ignore democracy just to protect their wealth. Marx was right and all that

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

kikkelivelho posted:

Yeah get that it is anti-democratic to want to change the rules after the vote, but they kind of make sense. The result was so incredible close; there should be a more clear winner.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I was always told that the right was the party of order and stability while the left is the party of revolution and change.

Kinda funny to watch the entire left collectively poo poo it's pants at Brexit: the most mild and pathetic of revolutions.

The Tory party is lying in ruins and the whole country is up for grabs and all the left can do is cry a lot, have an intra-party civil war, retroactively suck the eu's dick, poo poo their pants that capitalism had a bad day and claim that everyone is fascist now so there's no point in doing anything.

The leftists who fixed Britain up after WW2 would collectively vomit at how loving useless the D&D set are today.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i don't agree since democratic mandates are routinely twisted or interpreted in whatever direction politicians feel like without descending into fascism but I think it would be very dangerous for the political class to attempt to go against this referendum by, for instance, trying for a deal that allows for free movement of people. The referendum campaign unleashed forces that they can't control and if they're thwarted again will cause them to flock to any far right movement that shows up to exploit the obvious weakness of the British political system.

I want to see a general election after the two main parties have both finished sorting their poo poo out, and before article 50 is actually triggered (then parties can campaign on the basis of whether they would actually trigger it, and on how they would negotiate if they would)

it won't happen, but it should

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Yeah get that it is anti-democratic to want to change the rules after the vote, but they kind of make sense. The result was so incredible close; there should be a more clear winner.

The parameters of the referendum were perfectly clear. Cameron should've started the exit process the moment the final results came in, instead he ran away like a little bitch because the results weren't what he personally wanted. You can't ignore the votes of individual people just because they might be dumb and or racists. Democracy worked, and that's a wonderful thing. Instead of crying about the brexit we should be proud that this was a decision we made as a nation. There will be hard times ahead but the UK will manage

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

kikkelivelho posted:

The parameters of the referendum were perfectly clear. Cameron should've started the exit process the moment the final results came in, instead he ran away like a little bitch because the results weren't what he personally wanted. You can't ignore the votes of individual people just because they might be dumb and or racists. Democracy worked, and that's a wonderful thing. Instead of crying about the brexit we should be proud that this was a decision we made as a nation. There will be hard times ahead but the UK will manage

yes 52-48 on that kind of turnout isn't a narrow win. we're out and if a popular EU movement can gain traction we might be back in in a decade or two

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hammerite posted:

I want to see a general election after the two main parties have both finished sorting their poo poo out, and before article 50 is actually triggered (then parties can campaign on the basis of whether they would actually trigger it, and on how they would negotiate if they would)

it won't happen, but it should

Someone needs to get the Queen to dissolve Parliament if no one can get this poo poo done by the time Cameron leaves. Cameron could have done it, but gently caress the Lib Dems for their fixed-term nonsense.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

kikkelivelho posted:

yeah lol, that's the other hosed up thing about this. The financial and political elite are trying to delay and ignore the results of the referendum because it might hurt their bottom line. How hosed up is it that these people are willing to ignore democracy just to protect their wealth. Marx was right and all that

two percent is not a clear mandate lol

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

kikkelivelho posted:

yeah, the parameters of the referendum were pretty clear - an advisory vote that actually doesn't oblige anyone to do jack

'what do you mean this fine print here matters and has legal consequences?'

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lichy posted:

yeah, the parameters of the referendum were pretty clear - an advisory vote that actually doesn't oblige anyone to do jack

what does non-binding mean?

I am too dumb to understand.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Lichy posted:

two percent is not a clear mandate lol

I like going to Motorsport events and claiming that the winner shouldn't be world champion because they were only 2 seconds faster than everyone else.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

etalian posted:

what does non-binding mean?

I am too dumb to understand.

parliament doesn't have to do poo poo, but it had better. that's the gist of it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Lichy posted:

they paid attention to the fine print but didn't pay attention to details like "what happens if leave wins by a couple of percent", lol

basically dave cameron should be tarred and feathered for this shitshow

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hammerite posted:

they paid attention to the fine print but didn't pay attention to details like "what happens if leave wins by a couple of percent", lol

basically dave cameron should be tarred and feathered for this shitshow

It was a funny story how he agreed to do the vote since he thought it wouldn't win and it would appease various whiny Tory backbenchers.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

RobattoJesus posted:

I like going to Motorsport events and claiming that the winner shouldn't be world champion because they were only 2 seconds faster than everyone else.

and i like claiming that a countrys finances should be run like a household's! so what

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Lichy posted:

Cameron and the conservatives stated clearly that the results of the referendum would be honored. A contract is a contract even if it's verbal. The referendum was also a basic majority vote so 52 % does indeed give the leave side a mandate. I don't like the result and I don't think it's the correct choice but the legitimacy of the entire democratic system is at stake here. I'd rather lose money than let these fuckers get away with ignoring the people's will.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

kikkelivelho posted:

Cameron and the conservatives stated clearly that the results of the referendum would be honored. A contract is a contract even if it's verbal. The referendum was also a basic majority vote so 52 % does indeed give the leave side a mandate. I don't like the result and I don't think it's the correct choice but the legitimacy of the entire democratic system is at stake here. I'd rather lose money than let these fuckers get away with ignoring the people's will.

how hard did your bank gently caress you over on your mortgage

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hammerite posted:

Good, haha

i dont mean that's bad i just mean i dont get why they're fighting for control of the party when that's around the corner

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

maybe Cameron knew the Leave vote win and therefore he could resign to have more time to spend doing things he loves?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i dont mean that's bad i just mean i dont get why they're fighting for control of the party when that's around the corner

habit mostly

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

etalian posted:

maybe Cameron knew the Leave vote win and therefore he could resign to have more time to spend doing things he loves?

loving pigs?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Lichy posted:

and i like claiming that a countrys finances should be run like a household's! so what

And I like claiming children should be fired into a wall out of a cannon so what

This is why I like GBS, when someone posts a straw man you can just shitpost instead of actually trying to work out what the gently caress anyone even means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

RobattoJesus posted:

And I like claiming children should be fired into a wall out of a cannon so what

This is why I like GBS, when someone posts a straw man you can just shitpost instead of actually trying to work out what the gently caress anyone even means

you've made a bad analogy, i've replied with another bad analogy

we're square my friend

• Locked thread