Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Maui Brewing Co is set to distribute in Indiana and Ohio next week, anybody had anything of theirs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Millions posted:

Maui Brewing Co is set to distribute in Indiana and Ohio next week, anybody had anything of theirs?

the coconut porter is good- especially with Indian food- but nothing else of theirs is too remarkable and they won't stand out in a place with decent distribution; their shelf presence here dwindled pretty quickly. apparently the imperial coconut porter is dope, but i'm not sure it ever makes it to the mainland.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Imperial Coconut Porter does! And yeah, limited release kinda thing... according to my untappd last time it was around here was 2012.

Oh yeah, I recently tried some ipa's from Pinthouse Pizza that were supposed to be comparable to what TreeTrade House does and am I missing something here :confused: because there's not a whole lot of fruity juiciness going on Duh, Texas homerism!

air- fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 1, 2016

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
I really liked mauis doubleshot doppelbock but I think I'm a coffeeholic on top of an alcoholic so you can't take my coffee beer recommendations seriously.

Also it was extra good because the total wine locally priced it at 4.99 a 4 pack for some reason.

Also it might have been limited so never mind.

They also had a Maui onion brown about 5 years ago in the taproom that was the weirdest beer I've ever had. It really tasted like onions.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I had an onion beer from Rushing Duck out in NY a few months ago. It was awesomely weird.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

To take this further, they actually say "Unless they've had wine training, most people like cheap wine better". Duh. Someone who doesn't drink wine doesn't know anything about wine. Brilliant. It is almost certainly the same in the beer world. Someone who drinks Budweiser and associates Budweiser with Beer is probably going to throw up at the taste of a Cantillon Gueuze. But a BA who has had 5000 different beers in his life is more likely to appreciate the complexity and bold flavor of the gueuze. More people like Budweiser than Cantillon Gueuze. More people like Taco Bell tacos than fancy tacos from an authentic Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles. More people prefer a grilled cheese with American cheese on white bread to a croque madam with french bread, emmentaler, and an egg on top. Between sticking with what they're used to eating and mass market products being dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, "MOST" people (Americans at least) will prefer the blandest, sweetest, or least adventurous of almost anything.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Control Volume posted:

To take this further, they actually say "Unless they've had wine training, most people like cheap wine better". Duh. Someone who doesn't drink wine doesn't know anything about wine. Brilliant. It is almost certainly the same in the beer world. Someone who drinks Budweiser and associates Budweiser with Beer is probably going to throw up at the taste of a Cantillon Gueuze. But a BA who has had 5000 different beers in his life is more likely to appreciate the complexity and bold flavor of the gueuze. More people like Budweiser than Cantillon Gueuze. More people like Taco Bell tacos than fancy tacos from an authentic Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles. More people prefer a grilled cheese with American cheese on white bread to a croque madam with french bread, emmentaler, and an egg on top. Between sticking with what they're used to eating and mass market products being dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, "MOST" people (Americans at least) will prefer the blandest, sweetest, or least adventurous of almost anything.

Source your quotes because I want to agree with this sincerely, wholeheartedly, unironically, fervently, and unlanguorously.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Spanish Manlove posted:

Source your quotes because I want to agree with this sincerely, wholeheartedly, unironically, fervently, and unlanguorously.

same

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Duh, he said 'they'. Like illuminati probably.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Had to come up to Mansfield, MA to drop my girlfriend off at a concert tonight so I took the opportunity to check out Trillium in Canton as well as Bog Iron brewing in Norton.

Trillium was fantastic. The canton location is a really large space and I got there pretty early so it was relatively empty. There wasn't a line at all by the time I went to buy cans/fills.

Highlights:
- Hundreds, Thousands, Trillions: IPA with apricot, peach, and mango. This was a relatively straightforward "New England" style IPA but really benefited from the wood, pithy flavor of the mango especially
-Trillikini: flavor wise, this was just another triple IPA, but I love that it's only 3% alcohol. It's seems like all the great beers are super high percentage and it is nice to see something with all that effort into the flavor that you can just drink with no concern

Bog Iron was just a relatively solid small brewery. Nothing super special, but low prices and if I lived around them I'd be there regularly.
Highlight - Tinkering IPA: rotational IPA series. This one had falconers flight hops. Lots of pine and pretty low in the fruit flavors which was refreshing for the night.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

No you don't

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Bourbon Barrel Daves Barleywine from Angry Chair is incredibly good and my favorite barleywine I've ever had, not even joking. Very smooth and lots of caramel to it while being sweet but not so desert like.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

all barleywines taste the same.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Everything tastes the same. All hail the new paradigm, murder your gods.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ive had like 3 black and tans using a can of melvin and a can of ten fidy and I can conclusively say you cannot pour this poo poo to look like a black and tan without using guinness

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bell's is apparently no longer dating bottles of Two Hearted, which makes me very sad.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sirotan posted:

Bell's is apparently no longer dating bottles of Two Hearted, which makes me very sad.

Not even on the shoulder of the bottle?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Not even on the shoulder of the bottle?

Nope. There are some printed numbers on the bottom of the bottle directly on the glass but they are basically inscrutable. I was just buying beer at two different stores and inspected a number of Bell's beers and every other one has a date on the back of the label in a white box. Two Hearted now doesn't even have the white box.

Their website states all their beer is dated and this is the first time I've ever seen the labels like this on Two Hearted, I probably last bought a six pack about 2 months ago. The 4-packs of 16oz cans had dates on the outside of the package, however.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

maybe there was a goof with the label maker and/or labeler? maybe they were short and used an old box of labels?

Apache
May 11, 2004

Anyone available in the San Diego area to pickup my bottles of barrel aged speedway? I can paypal the shipping cost back here or send a thank you box of Tampa goodies in return, or you can keep one of the four bottles for your trouble.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

maybe there was a goof with the label maker and/or labeler? maybe they were short and used an old box of labels?

I hope so. There's no excuse to drop the dating system.

Love Child 3 is surprisingly good right now. It's a little too acedic, and has that mild stomach acid thing in the back of your throat, but there's a brett fruitiness. And it's very drinkable, one of those beers that makes you take another sip. It's not great but much better than I expected.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Noble and Cellarmaker's Dank You For Being a Friend is the best west coast DIPA I've had since I had fresh Pliny on tap a year ago. Dank and sticky without being super bitter, and the signature heavy-handed Nelson hopping of Cellarmaker's stuff. So good. I have two Fieldwork crowlers and a SARA Appreciation in my fridge right now too. Glad I got off work early.

also the new Avalanches album is really good

prayer group fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 3, 2016

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

poop dood posted:

Noble and Cellarmaker's Dank You For Being a Friend is the best west coast DIPA I've had since I had fresh Pliny on tap a year ago. Dank and sticky without being super bitter, and the signature heavy-handed Nelson hopping of Cellarmaker's stuff. So good. I have two Fieldwork crowlers and a SARA Appreciation in my fridge right now too. Glad I got off work early.

also the new Avalanches album is really good

which Fieldwork beer did you get? I'm mad that I didn't get to Rare Barrel to get a pour of the Noble and Cellarmaker collab.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Sirotan posted:

I noticed this on the Two Hearted Ales I was drinking this evening, as well.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

danbanana posted:

Love Child 3 is surprisingly good right now. It's a little too acedic, and has that mild stomach acid thing in the back of your throat, but there's a brett fruitiness. And it's very drinkable, one of those beers that makes you take another sip. It's not great but much better than I expected.

If anybody has one of these left, I'd be glad to trade a 750ml Cantillon Classic Gueuze for one :D

I guess that should go in another thread... anyhoo.

Troegs Nimble Giant is really good. Like, really, really good. I actually can't believe how good it is. NE Style IPA that's widely distributed? That's okay with me. My only problem? Costs more than Heady Topper/4 pack. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 3, 2016

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

which Fieldwork beer did you get? I'm mad that I didn't get to Rare Barrel to get a pour of the Noble and Cellarmaker collab.

I got Morado Punch, which I had last night and it was good but not great, and Relative Hoppiness, the Alpine collab.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

funkybottoms posted:

A 3rd store:

I emailed Bell's to see if they can give me an explanation. At the store I just took that photo at, they had 12-packs of cans clearly printed with 062716 on the box. :iiam:.

7 day old Two Hearted tho, :getin:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I drank an entire bottle of Upland's Permission Slip collab with JP. At FOBAB a few years ago and thought it was loving gross. Today it was just weird... The fruit is huge on it, though that means drinking persimmon, which have a bell pepper thing to me. Umami-ish. A little funk. Not much acidity. One of the weirder things I've drank in a while but shockingly killed the bottle.

Onto a bottle of HPB Sun Soaked that Furious Lobster sent me a while back. Time and Berliners usually don't go together but this is much better than I remember. Or maybe it's just compared to the last thing I drank...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Weldwerks Juicy Bits is really enjoyable but isn't remotely a "hazy NE style IPA". Why try to replicate something when you can do well on your own?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Again as a remider, MI (and especially Detroit Metro) natives need to visit Witch's Hat if they haven't already. As good or better than any Michigan brewery, including Bell's and the much-loathed-by-goons Founders.

Currently enjoying a couple of sour saisons by them, aged in red wine barrels. And on that topic, Bell's needs to start bottling their sours.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Holy poo poo NG's Wild Sour is somehow still amazing. This is like a cranberry juice cocktail with funk.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

oh hey

Gio fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 4, 2016

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Sirotan posted:

I would stop if I were them too. It has been years since I've seen a bottle of Two Hearted under 3 months old. Pivo Pils is another beer I love that is impossible to find fresh. It's a drat shame.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 4, 2016

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

LeafHouse posted:

I would stop if I were them too.

It has been years since I've seen a bottle of Two Hearted under 3 months old.

I'd love to see how well Two Hearted sells in places like Chicago - hard to beat fresh local Pipeworks cans.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Gio posted:

Again as a remider, MI (and especially Detroit Metro) natives need to visit Witch's Hat if they haven't already. As good or better than any Michigan brewery, including Bell's and the much-loathed-by-goons Founders.

Currently enjoying a couple of sour saisons by them, aged in red wine barrels. And on that topic, Bell's needs to start bottling their sours.

Where is it? I'm in Royal Oak

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'd love to see how well Two Hearted sells in places like Chicago - hard to beat fresh local Pipeworks cans.

Especially since Ninja vs Unicorn is better and readily available.

Also I'm not up why goons hate Founders? They have beers I like and yeah KBS is overrated, but I wouldn't say I hate them at all. Devil Dancer is really good!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

extendedsolo posted:

Also I'm not up why goons hate Founders? They have beers I like and yeah KBS is overrated, but I wouldn't say I hate them at all. Devil Dancer is really good!

one or two goons have beef with Founders, but it's not A Thing like hating pumpkin beers and DFH

i drank like a million sours and tart saisons yesterday. Thomas Hardy's Lorem Dekkera was the worst by some distance and the only thing i poured out; Imperial Marion Bu- which might have come from a goon?- was the best (along with the Hammerhead Speedway palate-cleanser after hour five). i don't use untappd, so none of those check-ins are mine.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

Where is it? I'm in Royal Oak

South Lyon. Some bars around the metro area have their beers on tap, and they're a regular at all the brewer's guild fests, but it's worth making a trip to the brewery itself. Right now is a pretty good time, too--they have a really great tap list right now.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Someone remind me what the deal is with reports of base BCBS being potentially infected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

extendedsolo posted:

Especially since Ninja vs Unicorn is better and readily available.

No.

extendedsolo posted:

Devil Dancer is really good!

No.