Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
What will Curry's contract look like after next season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Metapod posted:

Please no pau deserves better

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

IanTheM posted:

Big

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's not bad. I'd rather have him than Mozgov.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Lee for 12m per seems pretty reasonable. That's 5/6 man money.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ozu posted:

Lee for 12m per seems pretty reasonable. That's 5/6 man money.
It's still jarring to think that $12 million a year is reasonable for a sixth man in NBA 4.0 or whatever version we're on now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

This would be a lot of fun, I can get on board with that.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ESPN News just said two hundred billion dollars worth of contracts have been dished out over the last two days. I don't think the league has become quite that ridiculous

yet

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

IanTheM posted:

Assuming the cap next year is 107, I think 5 years/180?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Crazy Ted posted:

It's still jarring to think that $12 million a year is reasonable for a sixth man in NBA 4.0 or whatever version we're on now.

and yet it still seems like a lot for terrence ross

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/749402580984406016

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/749403112797077505

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Niwrad posted:

Unless they trade gortat I don't get it

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Rick posted:

There's some chatter that the Lakers and Pau Gasol is still a possibility if he doesn't end up with the Spurs or Cavs

I love him but he was miserable on his last awful Lakers team and this one will be worse. Although maybe this bad team will be more fun to play for?

Don't yall own yalls pick if it's not top4 next year?

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
I'm all in on this Evan Turner shitrocket to trashplanet.

I haven't read a ton of the last 15 pages, but here's the compiled Evan Turner list of his best quotes

On returning to Philly- Dec. 12, 2014.

"Before the game I signed like 100,000 autographs, I'm kissing babies and what not and all that stuff. I'm getting my hand kissed by people; I got little girls come up to me, fainting. Once the game started, it was like, 'What the hell is going on?' I was like, 'This is weird. Did they take all the good people out? ... I don't worry about it anymore. I don't want to sound super weird, but Jesus was hated, too. At the end of the day, I just worry about the stuff that's important. If it makes you happy to boo me, go ahead. I'm still happy. I put all that stuff behind me."

On deferring to Jae Crowder on for a game winner- Nov. 26th, 2015

"When I was dribbling, I was like, 'Oh, snap, I’m at 15 feet, I’m about to end this.' And then I thought about [Michael Jordan] passing toSteve Kerr. And I thought, 'Well, let me add that to my legacy. I’ll pass one time.' And that was it. It was unbelievable, actually. Ingenious by me."

On coming off the bench for the C’s, 2015

"[Brad Stevens] spoke to me. I had to smell his breath for alcohol. I checked his office for drugs. I said, ‘You’ve gotta be high.’ You know what I’m saying? But I kept it classy, of course, and I trust the process. And that was it. But it’s unbelievable, right?"

On resolutions for 2016- Late 2015

I’m just trying to stay out the way. That’s it. You know what I’m saying? Once again, I have a '27 years without getting arrested' streak, so I wanna keep that up. Maybe texting people back quicker. Stop lying about not seeing people’s text messages. That would help. Checking my email more, maybe. You know what I’m saying, kind of to be more dependable in that aspect."

On Birthday Expectations- Oct 27, 2015

"I first found out about a golden birthday when I was 8. You go to school and it could be a kid’s birthday on like Nov. 8, he turns 8. So when he told us what it was I was like, 'I’m gonna be 27 before it becomes my golden birthday and it won’t be that cool and nobody will care anymore.' So, I finally got here and I’m blessed to have gotten here. I’ve really been looking forward to this golden birthday for, like, 19 or 20 years."

"Honestly, not to like go too deep into it or be a hipster about it, but if you’re gonna be nice to me one day a year, my life sucks."

On his shooting- Feb. 21 2016

“You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy like that is always lethal."

“It’s 15%, but it’s a big 15%"

On Kobe’s final trip to Boston- Dec. 29th 2015

People will say it's for Kobe, but deep down it's probably for me.

On The Sixers- Oct. 7th, 2014

“They have like 12 new guys every time I see them”

On dreams of being the NBA Logo- Nov. 10th, 2015

“Obviously a lot more women would be into the game”

On Sports outside of basketball- Sept. 23, 2015

“Any intramural teams at Harvard need a quarterback? I might stop by and join a team. I only throw spirals”*

On his in-game 360 dunk- Dec. 9th, 2015

“I probably shouldn’t make any plans for All-Star Weekend now.”

On missing the 2015 All-Star Game- Feb. 11th, 2015

"50 Shades of Grey is coming out, so I might catch that."

On gastrointestinal distress- June 19th, 2012

“I been on the toilet all night, my butt crack feels like it has sun burn #pause. I'm so annoyed”

On the Hater life cycle- Jan 13th, 2013

“There will always be haters, that’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating rear end kids”

On Michigan- Feb 16th, 2016

“Lol Muck Fichigan”

On the Celtics bench in practice- Jan 29th, 2016

(Referring to the Uconn Womens Basketball Program)- “We’ve been on that level”

On Dirk’s Marital Status- July 13th, 2011

“Well I’ll be damned. Dirk got himself a sister.”

On Lebron James- April 10th, 2015

“I threw away my LeBron poster in high school,” Turner said, “so I don’t care how much he played tonight.”

On first playing Kobe- Dec 29th, 2015

"I had teammates that said, ‘When you go out there, don’t look at him in his eye. Don’t talk to him or anything; it’s going to give him an edge.’ Like he’s some type of pit bull or something. ... Then he came up to me and patted me on my back. He was like, ‘How you doing? How’s your mom?’ I was like, ‘She’s all right.'

On receiving passes in bad spacing- Jan 28th, 2016

“Kelly had the ball and I’m like… he better not pass it to me. It’s like an unwritten rule of the NBA. So I’m like, ‘he better not pass it to me’… and the ball is coming toward me and I’m like ‘This dude is a big rear end in a top hat’. Like… the whole time I’m looking at him like ‘You better not pass me this ball, what are you doing bro?”

On twitter and the ladies- Feb 15th, 2010

“Its funny how people wanna bother me on vday instead of being with girls! Lol wowwww”

On his relationship status- Dec. 22, 2015

“I’m married to guap. Taken.”

On How to get courtside seats- Dec 22, 2015

“Purchase them at the ticket office or flirt with someone who works at the garden and finesse your way to courtside”

On the choice of feeding one’s cat or buying his T shirt- Dec. 21st 2015

“If your cat dies of hunger it will still have 8 lives ... So yeah cop the tee ASAP rocky”

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Niwrad posted:

If Byron Scott was going to coach the Lakers this year I'd agree with you.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The theme of this free agency is "I'd rather have *Insert Center* than Mosgov.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Is he coming off the bench?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Femur posted:

Don't yall own yalls pick if it's not top4 next year?

Yep. Also the first rounder the Lakers owe Orlando for Dwight Howard becomes two second round picks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Metapod posted:

Is he coming off the bench?

He's not being paid starter money, so probably.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

ESPN News just said two hundred billion dollars worth of contracts have been dished out over the last two days. I don't think the league has become quite that ridiculous

yet
Quickly adding up all the free agent tracker listed ones has it at $2.2 billion.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crazy Ted posted:

yet

There are only 450 odd players in the league, each one has not signed for almost 500 million, so no. There has not been 200 billion handed out.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Houston is gonna be terrible again.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Ah gently caress. Now there are no more SGs on the market.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I am super OK now with the Timberwolves doing nothing and having cap space next year.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Houston to attempt 50 three-pointers per game next year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

SeannieDarko posted:

D I O N
I
O
N

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Metapod posted:

D I O N
I
O
N

Ugh no thanks.

Plus the Pacers don't have the cap space for him.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Rockets just saying gently caress it to playing defense.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SeannieDarko posted:

Ugh no thanks.

Plus the Pacers don't have the cap space for him.
They'll create the cap space for him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SeannieDarko posted:

JR Smith
Dwyane Wade
Jamal Crawford
Lance Stephenson
Dion Waiters
Leandro Barbosa
Gerald Henderson
Kevin Martin
Alan Anderson
Allan Crabbe

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Oh cool I was looking for that list! You're my bro.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Mahinmi had a really good year. I am not sure if that is what he is now or if he was playing for the contract, but he will at least be a solid defender and good backup C. Would have preferred to keep him, but Turner needs to be the starting center

Pacers have 10 mil to spend without any moves, they might take a run at a SG like Tyler Johnson and force Miami to match.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mahinmi is a solid starter if you need defense and rebounding.

Why the Wizards signed him is the question people should be asking.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I didn't check this thread for two days and there is 38 pages of new posts.

Did something big happen in the NBA, or did we have a 20 page derail about North Carolina's HB2?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

Mahinmi had a really good year. I am not sure if that is what he is now or if he was playing for the contract, but he will at least be a solid defender and good backup C. Would have preferred to keep him, but Turner needs to be the starting center

Pacers have 10 mil to spend without any moves, they might take a run at a SG like Tyler Johnson and force Miami to match.

Bring back Lance! Bring back Lance! Bring! Back! Lance!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

I didn't check this thread for two days and there is 38 pages of new posts.

Did something big happen in the NBA, or did we have a 20 page derail about North Carolina's HB2?
Harrison Barnes got the max

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

KD is going to leave

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are the Bulls aware that you can sign players yet? Them and the Cavs (who have no space and won a championship) are the only teams in the East who have not made a signing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mandrel posted:

KD is going to leave
Meeting Miami players/officials tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
Here is a SI article about the crazy money being handed out in free agency

quote:

The money just happens to be there, and the old rules about proving your worth before getting rich just don't apply anymore. In fact, even having great worth isn't really that important anymore. All a hoopster has to do is get into the league and wait, briefly, through free agency or competitive bidding, for his time to come.

"It's a whole new world out there when it comes to money," Cleveland vice-president and general manager Wayne Embry said. "And it's pretty scary."

The article doesn't necessarily begrudge the players getting all this money though:

quote:

It almost certainly is the start of a financial hurricane in the NBA, one that will see money flying everywhere and players of all calibers earning larger and larger salaries while the league itself flourishes from its growing global popularity and the revenue from increased gate receipts, advertising, marketing and TV deals.

also, the story is from 1989

quote:

Koncak is not alone among obscure NBA players who are raking in the dough. Portland guard Terry Porter, who has never been an All-Star nor led his team past the first round of the playoffs, signed a six-year deal with the Trail Blazers last summer for $13.2 million. His backup, Drazen Petrovic of Yugoslavia, who played in Europe last year, signed on for four years for $5 million. Veteran Jim Petersen, a center-forward of no particular distinction, recently signed with the Sacramento Kings for $8 million for six years. And guard Sedale Threatt (rhymes with "treat"), a career 7.3-points-per-game scorer, recently inked a $2.6 million, four-year deal with Seattle.

different names and numbers, but the overall story never seems to change

• Locked thread