Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oof. Two busy weeks keep me away from the thread, and there's 100 pages to catch up on.

Fun.

Edit: Wonderful! Make that 101 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Matchmaking solo is the greatest excercis in frustration.

I want post that lovely penny-arcade comic about healers over and over again until the end of times.

Also switch your loving hero gently caress I don't care how good of a reaper you think you are jesus christ you giant piece of poo poo.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

have all of the kill cams and plays of the game been super laggy for anyone else?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So if I'm the only support should I always pick Mercy in comp even though I suck at her and actually do well as Lucio?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Strobe posted:

No. Maps only have one mode to them, but there's nowhere that tells you what mode before you actually start.

Well, at least I'm not missing something obvious. Thanks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Verranicus posted:

So if I'm the only support should I always pick Mercy in comp even though I suck at her and actually do well as Lucio?

Other than in Koth yeah probably, and Mercy is still probably pretty good as solo support in Koth

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Countblanc posted:

Other than in Koth yeah probably, and Mercy is still probably pretty good as solo support in Koth

Okay but I'm really bad at her.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Verranicus posted:

Okay but I'm really bad at her.

This is how you improve! Ganbare gamer, I believe in you

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

i just played a game against a zarya who tracked people perfectly with the laser beam. like, heroes on the killcamp would jump and he would instantly track them (usually humans are limited by reflexes)

i said "nice aimbot zarya" and then the next killcam he wasn't tracking perfectly anymore

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Countblanc posted:

This is how you improve! Ganbare gamer, I believe in you

Just won a match as her and nah I'll stick to Lucio. Mercy is too stressful and reliant on my team not being braindead. Namaste.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Verranicus posted:

I wouldn't. Mercy works well for some teams but less great in others, particularly if somebody picked DVa. She's great with others like Pharah Bastion and Reaper (can heal him while he's invincible). She's also no faster than anyone else in running back into battle given that her movement ability is to grapple herself to someone.

Lucio can heal more than one person at a time, his healing boost allows him to DPS a little without fear, his speed boost makes him an alright player to Chase The Trace if your Reinhardt is being harassed by her, and it allows him to get out of the way of Soldier ults etc without having to find someone to grapple away to. And of course in Temple, Well, and Market he can bounce people off to their doom.

I play more Lucio than anything, but if people pick Roadhog and Phara etc then I'll go ahead and pick Mercy. It's sort of a team/map fusion thing.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Minorkos posted:

i just played a game against a zarya who tracked people perfectly with the laser beam. like, heroes on the killcamp would jump and he would instantly track them (usually humans are limited by reflexes)

i said "nice aimbot zarya" and then the next killcam he wasn't tracking perfectly anymore

In quick or competitive?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you for your answers re: my questions, guys. Gonna try to digest and use it to improve.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Grammaton posted:

In quick or competitive?

competitive, rank 68

edit: it could have been the 20 tick replays acting up but who knows

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Pretty sure I'm gonna go 2-8 on placements. My ninth game my whole team left 2 minutes in

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Pretty sure I'm gonna go 2-8 on placements. My ninth game my whole team left 2 minutes in

Working as intended.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
poo poo I guess I got booted out of a game in competitive and it counted as a loss. I tried to rejoin right away but didn't get back in.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Wow matchmaking in this game is terrible and has no balance.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Knifegrab posted:

Matchmaking in competitive seems to be either very very good (6+ minutes on objective, 40 kills on point, 30k healing type poo poo where it's a really close fight) or "gently caress you, you stop winning now" bad. That's based on like 5 placement matches, with the worst ones happening when we tried 6-queuing, so there's a good chance the comp matchups are bracketed far tighter and designed to generate a more "watchable" fight.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 3, 2016

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

Pumpy Dumper posted:

If it's any consolation my first 5 games resulted in losses due to this.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
My placements went pretty well, included a game where my premade of 4 carried 2 level 30s against a premade of 5:

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Those of you that have been playing since Tuesday, do you feel like you're in more balanced games as the week has progressed?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

it has balancing, it's just poorly done

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Those of you that have been playing since Tuesday, do you feel like you're in more balanced games as the week has progressed?

Most of the matches I've been in this week seem to squashes, either the team I'm on wins or loses incredibly quickly.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Verranicus posted:

It depends on team comp, game mode, map, and other things. Mercy's healing is way more powerful than Lucio's, so her regular healing can carry teams through punishment Lucio can't handle, but when it's time to push into a strongly defended point I'd rather have a speed boost and a Sound Barrier.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I just had a nice match on Illois where my team started off awful, immediately losing the point and letting it get to 99%. I was having a terrible game myself, failing to get a single elimination for five full minutes. What I did do though, was be an annoying little poo poo. I just popped on and off the point as Tracer to keep the overtime going. As soon as I'd die, another teammate would have respawned and made it back to the point by then. We kept this going for another 5 minutes of overtime before we finally captured the point for the first time. It was a desperate struggle for the rest of the match, we even lost control of the point a few times, and their Luccio was pretty good at staying really low in the center hole so we wouldn't notice him when his team was down. Overall that single round lasted like 20 minutes before we finally managed to hold the point long enough for the win.

Instantly, 4 members of their team left in a fit of rage, with a fifth leaving seconds later. We quickly stomped their replacements, and I even got my poo poo back together enough to finish with a bronze medal in eliminations (gold for objective kills).

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Cactrot posted:

Most of the matches I've been in this week seem to squashes, either the team I'm on wins or loses incredibly quickly.

That was my experience Wednesday night. I'm away for the weekend and I'm hoping the balance is a bit better by the time I get back. I went 3-2 on Wednesday night and ended up a rank lower than when I started

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Zenyatta finally clicked for me today, now I love my robot orb boy

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I skated back up out of the hole as lucio in the last point of Nepal and thought I was just the bees' knees.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

sirtommygunn posted:

I just had a nice match on Illois where my team started off awful, immediately losing the point and letting it get to 99%. I was having a terrible game myself, failing to get a single elimination for five full minutes. What I did do though, was be an annoying little poo poo. I just popped on and off the point as Tracer to keep the overtime going. As soon as I'd die, another teammate would have respawned and made it back to the point by then. We kept this going for another 5 minutes of overtime before we finally captured the point for the first time. It was a desperate struggle for the rest of the match, we even lost control of the point a few times, and their Luccio was pretty good at staying really low in the center hole so we wouldn't notice him when his team was down. Overall that single round lasted like 20 minutes before we finally managed to hold the point long enough for the win.

Instantly, 4 members of their team left in a fit of rage, with a fifth leaving seconds later. We quickly stomped their replacements, and I even got my poo poo back together enough to finish with a bronze medal in eliminations (gold for objective kills).

Congrats you really sucked the fun out of the game for at least 6 people.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

After a lot of time with this game I think Rhinehardt is the strongest (possibly broken) hero in the game. That shield is bonkers good.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Good Will Hrunting posted:

It's been very uneven. I placed at 52, worked up to 54 with a good team I found while solo, and am now at 47 because I had the audacity to play with lower-ranked friends.

It's really all over and inconsistent. I've had some games that are very, very close and down to literally the last second or it's been really rough stomps. The worst is that I lose a ton of rank for losses, but doing well enough to make someone ragequit doesn't give hardly anything?

I think the idea is that they want you to lose rank so that, theoretically, you can come back and win some in order to stock competitive points for rewards. If you stay the same rank, you never gain points and thus can't buy anything. But it's been weighted really heavily on losses, and the KoTG bug and leaver XP stuff the first two days is really noticeable now.

It's gotten better today than it was when it started, and teams are slightly more even, but it's still not great and largely a toss up on whether it will be a good game. The spread in individual player quality is really, really all over. Some of these people should clearly be higher than the high 40's and others are a wonder on how they even reached this high. It's not consistent at all.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

piratepilates posted:

Congrats you really sucked the fun out of the game for at least 6 people.

Yeah, shoulda just accepted his defeat and given up and lost so it would be fun for the other team :confused:

Knifegrab posted:

After a lot of time with this game I think Rhinehardt is the strongest (possibly broken) hero in the game. That shield is bonkers good.

Yeah, bonkers good at being broken by a Junkrat really easily :cool:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Knifegrab posted:

you should spend more time playing imo

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

verbal enema posted:

you should spend more time playing imo

:shrug:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Lost a game on gibraltor to a team that was almost unkillable in just how durable they were. Reinhardt, Torbjorn, Mercy, Tracer, Genji, and Lucio. It was just a clown car of healing, shields, armor, reflection, regeneration, resurrection, and energy shields.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
We had a KotH on Ilios and after we won the first round the other team started leaving, after about 10 seconds they had all quit. Was pretty funny.

I ended up placing as rank 47, not bad, just below average. Yay I'm mediocre guys!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, shoulda just accepted his defeat and given up and lost so it would be fun for the other team :confused:

Yeah, bonkers good at being broken by a Junkrat really easily :cool:

Or Pharah, when she's not just hopping up and shooting at Reinhardt from above. Hell, I just pour fire on it as Soldier and it collapses faster than you'd think. Winston and Symmetra can both shoot right through it too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was ranked 61 at first and have subsequently dropped 6 ranks thus far because we've lost like all our games tonight

I actually really like that koth is best of 5 in comp mode, even if the other modes are currently garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Macaluso posted:

I actually do get disappointed when my team keeps trying to run the overtime clock for minutes on end when we're losing instead of just taking the loss. Five minutes of overtime to win by attrition doesn't sound that fun.

And I almost put this in the whining thread but I don't think I should be that upset by it: Genji's reflect hitbox actually seems to be realllly wide. I threw a flash bang far to the side of him thinking it'd stun him without being reflect but no, that seems impossible.