Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It just seemed kind of obvious? The door was big, and the portrait was big and served no other purpose in that room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
It was just one of those random flashbacks to another history that happened to the leaders of each team, Carlos, diana, Q. In that case, I think Carlos saw Q team get executed, you know with their head exploding in the Pod room and he saw a portrait in it. He just thought it might be worth investigating.

Tipme fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 3, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
IIRC Carlos was the one getting memories from the other teams, probably from ?. From there I suppose he could figure it out from a combination of maps and memories.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

exploding mummy posted:

that's, uh an upside roman numeral 6.

No, because the V is still pointing the correct way. Look a little closer. The line to the left is a cracky, and there is a faded line of the actual V.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I wonder how incomprehensible this game would be if someone who hadn't played 999 or VLR picked it up. I mean it starts out pretty crazy from the get-go, right? I feel like the only reason I understand half of what's going on is the other games.

Hi, this is me. I didn't play either of the other two games but seeing my gf play made me interested, so I burned through it in the last few days. Super fun, way more interesting than I thought it would be, minus some bullshit puzzles and I'm still not super sold on Delta/Zero.

Other than that I really liked it, even though it was painfully clear there was a lot I simply didn't understand.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

So, apparently, after the "Don't shoot" path in triangle, the X-pass isn't announced on screen, but when Eric and Mira leave it can be seen in the background. Q has the X-pass BRO.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

okay so diana hosed a 70 year old man? i didn't really wanna say anything about it but

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

have you seen his biceps

im mirin

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Don't get all judgey.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

okay so diana hosed a 70 year old man? i didn't really wanna say anything about it but

Pfft, he has the body of a 23 year old, it's cool.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question, how did Carlos know about the family portrait? I just watched the scene again and he shouldn't know about it let alone the fact there's a door behind it. I have absolutely no idea.

He grabbed it from morphogenetic-Q execution.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

voltcatfish posted:

If you were in her position and it was Phi, would you say no?

Assume Phi's not your daughter her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
More numbers trivia:

Delta is the 4th letter of the Greek alphabet, Sigma is 18th, and Phi is 21st. If you add those numbers to Junpei and Akane's supposed bracelet numbers from 999,

4 + 18 + 21 + 5 + 6 = 54

Digital root of 9. Don't think it was planned that way but it's a funny coincidence.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I went back to both Eric gunpoint scenes and tried typing in everything I possibly could. I'm disappointed there weren't more responses to things such as answering "Chris" to any of his responses, or speaking vulgarities towards him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got around to finishing it and overall I think I liked it more than VLR but not as much as 999. The plot was batshit insane and the twist with Q is the bad kind of "...what?" but overall it did a good job being engaging, whereas with VLR I feel like it's 80% forgettable.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why the gently caress is Carlos suddenly a rapist and what is this "proof of friendship" poo poo

and is Eric ever going to even slightly redeem himself, I mean Dio was at least entertaining

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Really Pants posted:

why the gently caress is Carlos suddenly a rapist and what is this "proof of friendship" poo poo

and is Eric ever going to even slightly redeem himself, I mean Dio was at least entertaining

the former gets explained

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Eric is a good man

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Winky posted:

Technically it did. The transporter only transports information; it "3D prints" the item at the destination from materials already there.

andipossess posted:

The issue with that is that the object is copied exactly so it would still be aging in each loop unless it was replaced with a new one at some point.
yeah that and then...

quote:

Where did the design come from, then? Well, if you think about it, it has to be necessitated by what features the brooch would've needed to have in order for Diana to want to pick it up from the furnace and for Phi to want to keep it and pass it down to her self-daughter, etc.

Basically, the design of the brooch was determined by what the design of an object that Phi and Diana both would've liked enough to keep would've had to have been :P.
the brooch was the only thing that wasn't turned to ash in the incinerator; it was literally the only thing left of phi, and she has a flashback to dcom where phi told her that it was important to her. of course she would take it.
the design is only what it is because of the time loop, which to me cheapens the whole thing.

then again, whenever Phi talks about the brooch she usually mentions "I wonder what my mom meant by this inscription?" and well, it turns out her mom didn't even pick it out or anything! it was just always there! and I find a hilarious irony in that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I want to see the timeline where Mira doesn't go around with her tits out and so Eric never gives her a second look

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It's situational irony with the brooch. We know the history and to phi/Diana it's a memento. To actually know the significance of the inscription would require interaction outside of the universe presented so we're left with the loop. I would be extremely surprised if this isn't touched on with the eventual q&a

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Finished it, had a few hours to think...

+I loving loved the Carlos/C-Team SHIFT shenanigans. The plan was batshit and I was either wide-eyed or grinning the whole way through. One of my favorite bits of the series.
+Back to the Future nonsense, yessssssss.
+Gab is a good dog and my friend and I'm glad one of the files address him in the vents.
+I generally liked most of the characters! Carlos is Strong and Good and Sean is Not a Liar and Good
-(but oh my god Eric shut UP / stop waving around a shotgun!)
~?Delta. Seeing all the 'evidence'... I'm a bit more OK with it now, but man. Wish it hadn't been quite SO subtle. (altho it's fun watching people find more and more evidence)
-The ending? I mean, I'm fine with some of it (the choice, more or less) and ending before showing what Carlos does... but Delta's reasoning/motives behind everything?
~Kyle/? not being addressed is sad, but eh.
-While I didn't mind the heart puzzle specifically, too many block puzzles!!
-No finale puzzle room. :(

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I would have liked it if they had asked us to solve the anagrams instead

Ending with Zero Time Dilemma

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

While I enjoyed how stuff from previous games were remixed here (Most notably the return (Or origin?) of the AB Game), I wish there would have been a puzzle based around Digital Roots somehow. Solving the anagrams would have been cool too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the loving power of friendship

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I did not actually expect any remixed 999 music at all and was pleasantly surprised to hear my old friend Extreme Extrication

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This piece of fanart was all I could think of when Delta was like "lol I killed gab, isn't that awesome guys"

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

C7ty1 posted:

~?Delta. Seeing all the 'evidence'... I'm a bit more OK with it now, but man. Wish it hadn't been quite SO subtle. (altho it's fun watching people find more and more evidence)

I think I would have been a lot happier with it if we'd been shown that there was an unnamed old man at Dcom, but weirdly no-one seems to care that he's not in the shelter. Sure, such an old man would have been obviously suspicious, but most players would have ruled him out as zero for being too obvious - a bit like the role Akane's body had in VLR.

Terper posted:

I would have liked it if they had asked us to solve the anagrams instead

Oh dear god no.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Really Pants posted:

the loving power of friendship

Friendship is Good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Overall this game's plot was not as good as the last two

I can't buy into the big twist that Q was actually a guy in a wheelchair who was hanging out with the rest of the Q team because it goes too far past the game loving with your assumptions and into the game going very out of its way to hide things. The eventual revelation is inconsistent with a lot of earlier stuff.
1. Since he's acting as deaf and blind one of the other team members would have to wheel him around with them. They hid any evidence of the guy in the wheelchair being pushed around when they move from room to room. They could have written around this by making Q team immobile, so there wouldn't be any pushing to hide, but nope.
2. In the "do you inject yourself with radical 6" part there are only three syringes. If "Q" was there, there'd have to be some mention of there being one less than team members. If he was gone, why didn't that get mentioned in the dialog?

There were others but I forgot.

e: where are these epilogues ya'll are talking about

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

2. In the "do you inject yourself with radical 6" part there are only three syringes. If "Q" was there, there'd have to be some mention of there being one less than team members. If he was gone, why didn't that get mentioned in the dialog?

Only three people were injected with Fanatic Bio R because there were only three thumb scanners, so they only need three syringes.

quote:

e: where are these epilogues ya'll are talking about

In the FILE section of the in-game menu.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I recently discovered the little prologue story in the artbook for the game and it makes me upset that Sigma doesn't act in game like he did in the story, having him be really paranoid about what triggers the radical 6 outbreak and stuff would have made him more interesting.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

yeah, I expected it to inform his character a lot more. diana mentions that he talks like an old man, but it's not that pronounced and his general attitude towards the whole thing doesn't feel much different than Akane's, who didn't spend 45 years in near-isolation prepping for this.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 3, 2016

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question, how did Carlos know about the family portrait? I just watched the scene again and he shouldn't know about it let alone the fact there's a door behind it. I have absolutely no idea.

Cyouni posted:

He grabbed it from morphogenetic-Q execution.

Oh I remember this. He had a vision of them getting blown up by the collars and near the end of that bit Eric slams into the portrait and it falls over and reveals the door.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's funny to think that Sigma, Diana, the babies and Gab all starved because they didn't know about the actual pantry of food next to them.

By funny I mean christ

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's funny to think that Sigma, Diana, the babies and Gab all starved because they didn't know about the actual pantry of food next to them.

By funny I mean christ

I imagine that they probably found it but the supply would have run out eventually. Otherwise Diana wouldn't even have made it the nine months to carry the twins to term.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

By funny I mean christ

that whole deal where they are stuck and waste away was the most upsetting part of the game imo, in a game that was much more discomfiting than the other two

also pretty hosed that akane abandoned them

also also a bummer in general that there wasn't more phi

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

NRVNQSR posted:

I think I would have been a lot happier with it if we'd been shown that there was an unnamed old man at Dcom, but weirdly no-one seems to care that he's not in the shelter. Sure, such an old man would have been obviously suspicious, but most players would have ruled him out as zero for being too obvious - a bit like the role Akane's body had in VLR.

One of my first reactions when Delta was revealed was wondering why everyone in Q-team had up to now been entirely unconcerned with the holy poo poo super suspicious and evil-looking old man with loving Gendo glasses no way that guy could be Zero, right?

Re: Radical-6: I'm a little disappointed they didn't make a bigger deal out of it. It's a MacGuffin in this game, more or less. It gets out in the VLR ending because it has to, but it doesn't influence anyone at any point and the only people who know about it beforehand don't get to interact with it before it's already too late.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

By funny I mean christ

Didn't they explicitly address this though? When Diana and Sigma first get trapped Sigma remarks that if they ration the food (half a can a day each), they can last nine, maybe ten months. Which is exactly what happens.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 3, 2016

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I just thought about this, but in the beginning of the game when Zero first tell the story of the Snail he talks about a old man who asked Eric's mom why she took the other path. That old man is probably Zero himself no?

Wouldn't that mean that he is also the cause to the murder because if he didn't stop Eric's mom to ask her that she might never have been murdered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voisk
May 9, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

By funny I mean christ

Man if I remember correctly Diana threw a TV at the door after a bit there. If that had been aimed at the wall instead...

Anyways finished it and fairly enjoyable. I kept in mind throughout the entire game that this was a very budget game and very almost didn't get created... so I'm probably far more forgiving than I actually should be. I really liked the inputting choices

Really wish there was more character talking and interacting. Particularly I felt like Phi ended up getting short changed near the ending. No quips and barely any conversation related to new parent revelations? Come on Sigma and Phi could have cracked a few jokes on each other to show that their dynamic still exists.

• Locked thread