Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helvetica Sucks
Aug 4, 2005
I've got a new brain.

kid sinister posted:

Currently I'm refinishing my front door and I need some tool recommendations. It's a 3 vertical panel all pine door with solid pine rails and panels, while the stiles are pine cores with pine veneer, so no knotholes anywhere. A power sander only took the better part of a day to get through the outer coating and water damage stain on the door. The problem I'm having is sanding all of the little corners and circular patterns in the panels. Can anyone recommend a good corner scraper for this?

This little scraper can get into angles and has some rounded edge blades available for the more intricate parts of the door. Used it for cabinet doors and it worked quite well.

https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-Premium-Ergonomic-Carbide-Scraper/dp/B000288LOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Check out a couple of different multitools as well. Some of them have sanding attachments that could get into some small nooks.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Does anyone know what the hardware is being used on this setup?

I can't figure out how it closes flush, with the front covered the internal frame without it the rear of the leaf catching, so I assume it's a function of the hinge? Like the ones used in kitchen cabinets?

midge fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 2, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Re: gate chat from earlier, I'm considering something like this (apologies for unclear mockup):

Basically, 1x6 boards with a standard 2x4 Z-backing form the actual gate, but I decorate the front with fake rails and stiles that are just nailed/screwed on. Seems like it should be simple enough, and prettier than a basic gate would be. Any reason this wouldn't work?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

midge posted:

Does anyone know what the hardware is being used on this setup?

I can't figure out how it closes flush, with the front covered the internal frame without it the rear of the leaf catching, so I assume it's a function of the hinge? Like the ones used in kitchen cabinets?

http://www.rockler.com/fully-adjustable-concealed-fall-flap-hinges

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Re: gate chat from earlier, I'm considering something like this (apologies for unclear mockup):

Basically, 1x6 boards with a standard 2x4 Z-backing form the actual gate, but I decorate the front with fake rails and stiles that are just nailed/screwed on. Seems like it should be simple enough, and prettier than a basic gate would be. Any reason this wouldn't work?

I assume fake rails and stiles are 1" thick? Any thicker may look out of proportion.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

I assume fake rails and stiles are 1" thick? Any thicker may look out of proportion.

I'm planning to use 1x boards or planed-down fence boards for the stiles/rails, yeah.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I made a thing

Next up is painting it and sticking some trim around the top, the closet isn't square so I had to cut the sheets a little short or gently caress around with making it fit by sanding or making a slight angle.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

tater_salad posted:

I made a thing

Next up is painting it and sticking some trim around the top, the closet isn't square so I had to cut the sheets a little short or gently caress around with making it fit by sanding or making a slight angle.

Shoe rack? Looks good. What kind of wood is that on the top? It looks like very thin butcherblock countertop material.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm bad at manipulating things in a 3D space in my head, so I take it that you assembled it in place right?

Looks good!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

Shoe rack? Looks good. What kind of wood is that on the top? It looks like very thin butcherblock countertop material.

Yes shoe rack and bench for putting shoes on. My wife wanted to buy one but I wanted something that would fit the closet, eventually I'll put some kind of decorative back on it. But for now this at least keeps the shoes from being a jumbled pile on the floor.

The top material is a sheet of "stain ready" 24x72x1 board from lowes. It has a very burcherblock look to it. The other 2 platforms are plywood sheeting, and the dividers are pine.
Top part is going to get poly rest is going to get paint.

Edit:yeah it assembled in place It actually is just being held together right now by friction and weight. I had to put the sheets in at an angle then flatten them once through the "doorway"..

I'm actually debating painting just the sheets of plywood only since I think if I paint the vertical pieces they won't fit in the dados.. I made them 3/4 and added a .20 shim and the vertical pieces juust fit and need some coaxing. Or I will assemble in the garage and paint there.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 2, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Magnus Praeda posted:

What kind of wood is that on the top? It looks like very thin butcherblock countertop material.

If it were butcherblock, you'd see the end grain, not long grain. That looks like pine to me.

I've assembled the gate I'm building, but painting and installation are going to have to wait until I get back from a brief vacation. Overall I think it's going to look quite nice, though.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

If it were butcherblock, you'd see the end grain, not long grain. That looks like pine to me.

Going by the traditional definition of butcher block, yes. But these days they sell any laminated blocks/strips of wood as butcher block and just call the real stuff "end grain."

I.E.: this.

tater_salad posted:

I'm actually debating painting just the sheets of plywood only since I think if I paint the vertical pieces they won't fit in the dados.. I made them 3/4 and added a .20 shim and the vertical pieces juust fit and need some coaxing. Or I will assemble in the garage and paint there.

Paint all but the bit that is actually in the dado, perhaps? Or paint and then sand back as necessary?

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 2, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Magnus Praeda posted:

Going by the traditional definition of butcher block, yes. But these days they sell any laminated blocks/strips of wood as butcher block and just call the real stuff "end grain."

I.E.: this.

God dammit people :nallears:

No butcher would be caught dead using a countertop like that...though the butchers I've seen have generally used stainless steel, so oh well.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Why is an end-grain cutting board/butcher block preferable to edge grain?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

MetaJew posted:

Why is an end-grain cutting board/butcher block preferable to edge grain?

End grain won't catch the blade of the knife (so it's faster), it's more resilient to cutting, and is far less likely to split when you wale on it with a cleaver.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Some months back my TV series tracking app marked The Woodwright's Shop as a cancelled series. I assumed it was a mistake but it's still marked cancelled. I can't find anything about the show being renewed or cancelled, or nothing about a 2016 air date. Anyone hear anything?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
THere is a guy here selling some old stanley planers in 5, 5 1/2, 7/8, and 1 1/4. What do you think would be a fair price to offer him? I haven't seen them in person yet but they look like they are in pretty good shape in the pictures?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

THere is a guy here selling some old stanley planers in 5, 5 1/2, 7/8, and 1 1/4. What do you think would be a fair price to offer him? I haven't seen them in person yet but they look like they are in pretty good shape in the pictures?

Some of those model numbers don't make sense. 5 and 5 1/2 are bench planes. 7/8 might be a 78 rabbet plane. I don't know what 1 1/4 would be. There is no #114.

Price depends on a lot of different factors. Some of the things I look for: Is it rusty? How bad is the rust? How much of the blade is left? Are the knob and handle plastic or wood? If wood, are they cracked? Is the depth adjustment wheel made of brass or stamped steel?

You can learn a lot about each model here: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

I've paid anywhere from $5 to $55 per plane at estate sales depending on the model and condition. I've found the same stuff will sell on ebay for about twice as much, so I feel like that's a good guideline for a deal.

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

If you fake the funk, your nose will grow

wormil posted:

Some months back my TV series tracking app marked The Woodwright's Shop as a cancelled series. I assumed it was a mistake but it's still marked cancelled. I can't find anything about the show being renewed or cancelled, or nothing about a 2016 air date. Anyone hear anything?

Saw a promo with Peter Follansbee making shrink pots for an upcoming episode.

https://pfollansbee.wordpress.com/2016/04/30/dry-humor/

It has a Facebook page too

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ah good. I guess FB is the way to keep up to date, finally a good use for that site. There is a FB exclusive on testing tusk tenons, I wish they had shown more.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

swampface posted:

Finally spent some time with sketchup and designed and built a bench for the yard using some deck boards left by the previous owner. Having a shop laptop with an open sketchup plan makes building stuff amazingly easy, I even adjusted some angles/dimensions as I was going. Probably going to need slightly more cross-bracing (and glue) for the next one, but it is pretty comfortable!

I dig that bench. You still have the plans?

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
I do but won't have access to them until Sunday. I also need to make slight adjustment to them as the legs are too close together and it does not amuse my wife when I get up and she ends up on the ground. It is comfortable though!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hi woodworking thread. I come again asking advice on what to do about this table.

My plan is to refinish and stain it. It's going to be used as a computer table since I really like the size (5'x3') of it without the leaves. However, the ends look like they're warping and the glue is pulling away. It's doing this at all 4 corners. And no, I have no idea why the end pieces are just a little narrower than the main surface.

Should I just screw back in the ends into the main table (doesn't affect the leaves, the end pieces with the pegs are for that)? I'm worried it might crack the ends since the wood really doesn't seem to want to be there anymore. It was difficult to pull out the end cap pieces for the leaves since the pegs are now a little bent. I had to use a pry bar so I'm not sure if the leaves will ever really be functional again. :( Should I just leave it as is and sand and stain it?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm upgrading my current craptastic workbench and going with a Sellers design. It'll be all big box lumber.

Any thoughts or additions?

Would I be better off buy a bunch of 2X12's, curing them for a month, and then ripping down to size for the top? I've had my issues with the local 2X4 stock at Menards.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Yooper posted:

Would I be better off buy a bunch of 2X12's, curing them for a month, and then ripping down to size for the top? I've had my issues with the local 2X4 stock at Menards.

I like your idea of ripping 2x12's. Those are usually straight and not cupped. If you have to use 2x4's be prepared to spend a shitload of time picking through the stack. But that time will be worth it in the end compared to fighting with lovely lumber.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Larrymer posted:

Hi woodworking thread. I come again asking advice on what to do about this table.

My plan is to refinish and stain it. It's going to be used as a computer table since I really like the size (5'x3') of it without the leaves. However, the ends look like they're warping and the glue is pulling away. It's doing this at all 4 corners. And no, I have no idea why the end pieces are just a little narrower than the main surface.

Should I just screw back in the ends into the main table (doesn't affect the leaves, the end pieces with the pegs are for that)? I'm worried it might crack the ends since the wood really doesn't seem to want to be there anymore. It was difficult to pull out the end cap pieces for the leaves since the pegs are now a little bent. I had to use a pry bar so I'm not sure if the leaves will ever really be functional again. :( Should I just leave it as is and sand and stain it?

The end pieces are shorter because of seasonal expansion from humidity- which is normal, and the piece should have been designed to allow for that. Check again in winter, it will probably align again.
If you want a quickie, but generally acceptable method of refinishing, just touch the worn areas with fine grit sandpaper like 220, then hit the entire thing with an oil-based all-in-one stain/finish like minwax. (similar color like what they call cherry or oak) I'd bet a dollar that table is lacquered and the oil will touch the bare areas up like a pro.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

The end pieces are shorter because of seasonal expansion from humidity- which is normal, and the piece should have been designed to allow for that. Check again in winter, it will probably align again.
If you want a quickie, but generally acceptable method of refinishing, just touch the worn areas with fine grit sandpaper like 220, then hit the entire thing with an oil-based all-in-one stain/finish like minwax. (similar color like what they call cherry or oak) I'd bet a dollar that table is lacquered and the oil will touch the bare areas up like a pro.

That was the plan, 220 and maybe 400 then stain it.

So with the expansion, would you recommend not touching the ends where the glue is pulling away? I could live with it, but if there were a way to fix it correctly I would prefer that. It just seems that they're warped a bit, bowing on the ends away from the rest of the table.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Larrymer posted:

That was the plan, 220 and maybe 400 then stain it.

So with the expansion, would you recommend not touching the ends where the glue is pulling away? I could live with it, but if there were a way to fix it correctly I would prefer that. It just seems that they're warped a bit, bowing on the ends away from the rest of the table.

Tbh, I thought that end-piece was doweled or screwed where those buttons are, as gluing to end-grain is idiotic and against all the rules of woodworking. Wide boards will have a tendency to bow over time. Without pulling the top entirely off, you should probably just live with it. What is the rounded piece with dowels protruding?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Has anyone here done much steam bending? I'd like to do a project for my nieces and nephews -- wooden letters of their first initials that they can hang on their walls. When I was a kid my uncle made similar letters for me and my siblings, but he cut them out of boards instead of bending them, which left them weak at points and prone to breaking (since kids will play with anything, including wall ornaments). So I figured I'd try steam bending. The hangup is that one initial is an S, which may prove tricky to do (I also have a J, and an A and an E that of course will not require any steam bending, just joinery techniques).

I figure the letters should be about a foot tall and use 1"-wide boards. For wood I was thinking I'd use 4/4 white oak. I've been reading this Veritas article but it is of course focused on using a Veritas strap clamp. Is such a thing really required or can I get away with just using a large number of traditional clamps? Any other resources I should read up on? I figure I'll just make a plywood box, hold the pieces up on wire chairs (or string wire through the box to suspend the pieces, either way), run steam through it for an hour or so, then strap them to forms. It doesn't sound complicated, but I'm sure there's plenty to consider in practice, so I guess basically I'm looking for tips and tricks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Tbh, I thought that end-piece was doweled or screwed where those buttons are, as gluing to end-grain is idiotic and against all the rules of woodworking. Wide boards will have a tendency to bow over time. Without pulling the top entirely off, you should probably just live with it. What is the rounded piece with dowels protruding?

Rounded piece comes off and the leaves are inserted there. They're held in by the drawers I'm told. Haven't looked at it underneath yet.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Yooper posted:

I'm upgrading my current craptastic workbench and going with a Sellers design. It'll be all big box lumber.

I agree with ripping 2x12s, you'll get better wood out of them.

I made mine either 5 or 6 feet long and I should have done the full 7.5 or 8 feet long. I run out of space on the top when working on things and I wish it was heavier. I also made the tool well wider. Your design seems pretty narrow. Think about what tools you're going to have sitting in there and make sure it's wide and deep enough for them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Has anyone here done much steam bending? I'd like to do a project for my nieces and nephews -- wooden letters of their first initials that they can hang on their walls. When I was a kid my uncle made similar letters for me and my siblings, but he cut them out of boards instead of bending them, which left them weak at points and prone to breaking (since kids will play with anything, including wall ornaments). So I figured I'd try steam bending. The hangup is that one initial is an S, which may prove tricky to do (I also have a J, and an A and an E that of course will not require any steam bending, just joinery techniques).

I figure the letters should be about a foot tall and use 1"-wide boards. For wood I was thinking I'd use 4/4 white oak. I've been reading this Veritas article but it is of course focused on using a Veritas strap clamp. Is such a thing really required or can I get away with just using a large number of traditional clamps? Any other resources I should read up on? I figure I'll just make a plywood box, hold the pieces up on wire chairs (or string wire through the box to suspend the pieces, either way), run steam through it for an hour or so, then strap them to forms. It doesn't sound complicated, but I'm sure there's plenty to consider in practice, so I guess basically I'm looking for tips and tricks.

I helped with a couple of steam bending projects a while back, the rig was a steel tube with a cap at one end, a 90' bend and a foot of pipe the other side capped off. The whole rig was propped up so the long chamber with the access cap was a little off horizontal, the end of the short chamber was above a gas burner. A cup of water in the bottom chamber, wood slid down the long chamber, capped off with a pinhole in the lid so it doesn't explode. Boil water as needed.

The bending jig was a board full of holes and pegs arranged to bend around, I seem seem to remember cutting the piece to size after the bending, not before.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cakefool posted:

I helped with a couple of steam bending projects a while back, the rig was a steel tube with a cap at one end, a 90' bend and a foot of pipe the other side capped off. The whole rig was propped up so the long chamber with the access cap was a little off horizontal, the end of the short chamber was above a gas burner. A cup of water in the bottom chamber, wood slid down the long chamber, capped off with a pinhole in the lid so it doesn't explode. Boil water as needed.

The bending jig was a board full of holes and pegs arranged to bend around, I seem seem to remember cutting the piece to size after the bending, not before.

We did some stair rails using a straight pvc pipe and some sort of steamer, I can't recall- at one end for bending radiused handrail and base molding.(The curving part of rail came in a custom kit in 1/4" thick laminates but it was still a very tight radius) But nothing like TMA is going on about.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Gave the steambending a shot today. Here's my rig:

The box is sealed at the far end, and has a small hole in the bottom there for water to drip out of (not that any did). Unfortunately, after an hour in the box, my 1"x1" stick of white oak was still just as inflexible as when it went in. I think I may be dealing with two problems here: first, the oak's been sitting around for years now and is probably too dry for steambending to work right (as I understand it, if the lignin in the wood is too "set" or whatever, you can't loosen it with steam heat). Second, I should have put the door to the box at the other end, away from the steam source; it was leaking steam for most of the hour. I thought I'd be okay because I was also getting steam out at the far end of the box (from holes between the plywood), but it's possible that the box didn't get hot/wet enough to really do work on the wood.

Dog tax:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

The box is sealed at the far end, and has a small hole in the bottom there for water to drip out of (not that any did). Unfortunately, after an hour in the box, my 1"x1" stick of white oak was still just as inflexible as when it went in. I think I may be dealing with two problems here: first, the oak's been sitting around for years now and is probably too dry for steambending to work right (as I understand it, if the lignin in the wood is too "set" or whatever, you can't loosen it with steam heat). Second, I should have put the door to the box at the other end, away from the steam source; it was leaking steam for most of the hour. I thought I'd be okay because I was also getting steam out at the far end of the box (from holes between the plywood), but it's possible that the box didn't get hot/wet enough to really do work on the wood.

Dog tax:

The tips from a shipwright YouTube channel has a good video on how he steam bends for assembling boats. Looks very simple and seems to be effective if you want to try another tactic. It's probably similar to yours but take a look to see if there's any tips worth picking up.

https://youtu.be/--iPQIwSEJM

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Check some of this out. https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&q=steam+bending+with+vinegar
I knew I remembered reading about using vinegar. Also, ash is much more pliable than oak; and finally, if you can rip your material down to 1/4" laminates, that makes a world of difference.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Squibbles posted:

The tips from a shipwright YouTube channel has a good video on how he steam bends for assembling boats. Looks very simple and seems to be effective if you want to try another tactic. It's probably similar to yours but take a look to see if there's any tips worth picking up.

https://youtu.be/--iPQIwSEJM

Yeah, I read a bit about using plastic "bags" to hold the steam instead of a plywood box, but decided I'd try the traditional approach first. It's not like I'm short on plywood scraps anyway.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Check some of this out. https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&q=steam+bending+with+vinegar
I knew I remembered reading about using vinegar. Also, ash is much more pliable than oak; and finally, if you can rip your material down to 1/4" laminates, that makes a world of difference.

Thanks, and I'll keep ash in mind as well. I don't have any ash on-hand though, and I'm trying to avoid acquiring too much more wood considering the current rather comfortable state of my lumber stash.

Laminating would be cheating, though! If I was going to do laminates, I could just rip down to 1/8" and wouldn't need steam at all. But it wouldn't look as good. Keep in mind that I'm doing this for a piece that's meant to be displayed.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Yeah, I read a bit about using plastic "bags" to hold the steam instead of a plywood box, but decided I'd try the traditional approach first. It's not like I'm short on plywood scraps anyway.

Thanks, and I'll keep ash in mind as well. I don't have any ash on-hand though, and I'm trying to avoid acquiring too much more wood considering the current rather comfortable state of my lumber stash.

Laminating would be cheating, though! If I was going to do laminates, I could just rip down to 1/8" and wouldn't need steam at all. But it wouldn't look as good. Keep in mind that I'm doing this for a piece that's meant to be displayed.

It's all cheating, yo. The idea is to make it work and make it look good. 1/8th is a bit too thin imo. If you are going for 1" thickness and can get there with ripping down to 4 laminates and 3 joints, a good woodworker can make it look like a single piece....try a test piece like this and see if the grain doesn't match up after you've cleaned it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Great news everyone, Matthias released the color code for his Wandel Green