Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RasperFat posted:

E: Whoops accidental post.

But the conservative obsession with American historical figures being perfect heroes is baffling. It's not just Colombus. Jefferson, Jackson, and many other founding fathers did horrible poo poo, including owning slaves, and it's always brushed aside.

And thus the ability to say 'Sure Trump said (racist thing here) but...' materializes. They've had years/decades of practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

i am harry posted:

America is addicted to hero worship. Children are raised on it, and the obsession with who is a hero and being a hero underpins almost everything vile that the country suffers from.

I agree and it's even more than that. The obsession seems to come from the narrative that we tell kids about our history.

"The Puritans founding This Great Nation (tm) bravely fought back against the oppressive British religious laws to make an arduous journey across the unknown sea to build a new nation out of nothing. They survived winters and farmed the land with their determination and bootstraps. The natives helped just a little, and they even made peace with the noble savages that couldn't even understand the concepts of money and hard work."

The hero narrative is basically how we tell our entire history to children. After the Puritans its the Founding Fathers (all heroes), then the expansion west with pioneers (also heroes), then the Civil War, where Lincoln is seen as super badass. Somehow the South also has heroes in this war. Then no one knows the Reconstruction period, and we get to TR, certified badass war hero. Wilson kicked rear end in WWI, then the Great Depression sucked, and then we got FDR, heroic in kicking Nazi rear end and catapulting the U.S. to world dominance. After that it's JFK getting assassinated and remembered as a legend. Then there's no more hero worship really because it's too recent or too many scandals (Nixon). Maybe Reagan, but that's only conservatives and not really taught to young kids in history lessons yet.

This is how I was taught about U.S. history in elementary school. And this was in the advanced classes (GATE) in well funded suburban schools in southern CA. I can only imagine what kids that went to lovely schools learned.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

RasperFat posted:

.... I can only imagine what kids that went to lovely schools learned.

It's probably the same thing only more shittily taught. What baffles me about the American education system is the adherence to rote memorization about social studies. At what point is it ok to say to a student, "I want you to think about this?"

Joke answer: "When they're dead. School is for teaching the basics. They don't need to be taught to think."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RasperFat posted:

E: Whoops accidental post.

But the conservative obsession with American historical figures being perfect heroes is baffling. It's not just Colombus. Jefferson, Jackson, and many other founding fathers did horrible poo poo, including owning slaves, and it's always brushed aside.

Yeah pretty much The right pushes that american heroes are perfect in everyway and had no faults and parts of the left(not all) react by pushing everyone in history was an evil fucks who did nothing right ever unless they were poor and or a minority.(mostly from zinn, who i love for a intro to real history, but isnt that great as an actual historian,too black and white)

Like. personally i dont like jefferson, not just because the rape slaves(well yes those too) but because he was a massive autistic hypocrite who believed in bullshit(agrianian culture and land expansion will last 1000 years) and basicaly believed in constant "revolution" until of course he got into power. but at the same time, i still find him an interesting and brilliant polymath who rewrote the bible and wrote the declaration with help of adams and franklin. plus the adams-jefferson feud is facinating.

Like i hate to use the term, but you kinda have to treat history like "the truth is in the middle" sure it isnt at all. but you have to take the good of complex people like jefferson with the loving awful parts. turning history into some political circle jerk scorebored where everyone has to be a black and white Hero or villain is stupid poo poo and i hate when the right or the left try to do it, because it just make being a student of history even more difficult. I mean History is hosed up and every famous person in history did awful poo poo in one way or another. some like jackson did more bad then good and others like FDR did more good then bad. many like Teddy are tossups. and then you have to go by primary sources which can be biased in either direction too.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 3, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Everything you need to know about conservatives is encapsulated in that kid saying that he didn't know what indigenous peoples are, but he already knew that he didn't like them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Everything you need to know about conservatives is encapsulated in that kid saying that he didn't know what indigenous peoples are, but he already knew that he didn't like them.

pretty much.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

i am harry posted:

America is addicted to hero worship. Children are raised on it, and the obsession with who is a hero and being a hero underpins almost everything vile that the country suffers from.

How many essays about "Your Hero" and the like have any of you fellow Americans had to write in school? Since elementary I feel like every teacher has used such a writing prompt, and every time, righteous little rear end in a top hat I was, I nominated myself as my hero/idol because gently caress that bullshit. I think the better writing prompt would be to talk about who you admire or appreciate. However it seems we can't get away from dumb knob slobbing.

(Actually I had a hard time because as a little kid the only famous people I knew about were movie or music stars, and I felt a little silly writing a paper about Paula Abdul like every one of my friends did.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rick_Hunter posted:

It's probably the same thing only more shittily taught. What baffles me about the American education system is the adherence to rote memorization about social studies. At what point is it ok to say to a student, "I want you to think about this?"

Joke answer: "When they're dead. School is for teaching the basics. They don't need to be taught to think."

My IB history teacher in 11th grade was a Really Cool Dude and pushed us really hard to break the mold. It was entirely American History and his approach to papers was "primary sources or death", and it was intense. Also as time passes, I become more and more thankful for the fact that I was able to take an entire semester solely on the Vietnam War in high school. At the time I knew it was a bit weird, but I seriously took it because the first friend I made when I moved up to NC was Vietnamese and I liked the teacher who was offering it.

I'm also extremely grateful that the IB American History teacher slammed the hell out of the first paper that I wrote for him because it caused me to change my approach to writing which made college a super easy breeze when it came to papers.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One of the big problems comes from the right wing view of the world. The simple reality is that every historical figure that ever existed was still a human. We're all flawed and we all suck. You can't get around that. Plus we're all products of our time. It's kind of odd to look at past morality through the lenses of current morals. Some things people just hadn't thought of yet and there is also the inertia of history. People 200 years from now are going to look at some things we did and go "wow what the gently caress, they did what?"

Mind that doesn't excuse or justify the things of the past, as we see with American history. Whether we like it or not our nation was built on slavery, genocide, and exploitation. We can't change that.

The problem is that the current right wing has decided that our founding fathers (interesting how they kind of ignore anybody that wasn't a white dude) are all perfect and America is infallible. I didn't learn that jefferson, Washington, and pals were slave owners until after high school. Or that Washington spoke about how people can rebel if they want while also being involved in putting down multiple rebellions. They weren't the worst guys if the era but they also weren't ubermensch sent by God to create This Great Nation by His Will.

But the right wing wants to teach mythology. They want the stalwart, perfect, Christian white men that just cared about freedom and Jesus and tamed a wild, untamed wilderness with nothing but grit, sweat, hard work, and faith.

They don't want the reality that a significant chunk of immigrants were violent, drunken, gold crazy bastards or that the puritans were actually pretty terrible.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They weren't the worst guys if the era but they also weren't ubermensch sent by God to create This Great Nation by His Will.

But see that's the mythology the right cannot live without. If the founders weren't perfect and driven by god, then none of their loving drivel works. It is the bedrock of their bullshit beliefs.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah pretty much The right pushes that american heroes are perfect in everyway and had no faults and parts of the left(not all) react by pushing everyone in history was an evil fucks who did nothing right ever unless they were poor and or a minority.(mostly from zinn, who i love for a intro to real history, but isnt that great as an actual historian,too black and white)

Like. personally i dont like jefferson, not just because the rape slaves(well yes those too) but because he was a massive autistic hypocrite who believed in bullshit(agrianian culture and land expansion will last 1000 years) and basicaly believed in constant "revolution" until of course he got into power. but at the same time, i still find him an interesting and brilliant polymath who rewrote the bible and wrote the declaration with help of adams and franklin. plus the adams-jefferson feud is facinating.

Like i hate to use the term, but you kinda have to treat history like "the truth is in the middle" sure it isnt at all. but you have to take the good of complex people like jefferson with the loving awful parts. turning history into some political circle jerk scorebored where everyone has to be a black and white Hero or villain is stupid poo poo and i hate when the right or the left try to do it, because it just make being a student of history even more difficult. I mean History is hosed up and every famous person in history did awful poo poo in one way or another. some like jackson did more bad then good and others like FDR did more good then bad. many like Teddy are tossups. and then you have to go by primary sources which can be biased in either direction too.

At what point did people on this board start using "autistic" as a go-to insult, and how much longer until they stop?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

@LeeMajors it's not though. it's just another means of signaling their allegiance to the America-That-Was before the rekkers came and rekt it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jurgan posted:

At what point did people on this board start using "autistic" as a go-to insult, and how much longer until they stop?

My ex broke me of this habit p hard, but Jefferson was probably on the spectrum to be quite honest.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

Is Rush aware that Christopher Columbus is a dirty Messican?

It's bizarre to see Republicans worship such a guy. I mean, yeah I get that they're not bothered by the whole genocide thing and all, but still.

You are getting American racists confused with British racists.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

But see that's the mythology the right cannot live without. If the founders weren't perfect and driven by god, then none of their loving drivel works. It is the bedrock of their bullshit beliefs.

Kind of my point, really; the right lives in a weird fantasy land.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jurgan posted:

Shortly after people started self-diagnosing their nerdiness as Asperger's and probably the heat death of the Universe

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Crowsbeak posted:

You are getting American racists confused with British racists.

Not really, we were one and the same. Its just that the Brits have returned to the old "The Only White People that matter are Anglo Saxon" racism that rejects Europe while we're still in a world where Irish can Apply still. But the further we travel back down populism, hey, it could unite again.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Kind of my point, really; the right lives in a weird fantasy land.

And for all their modern political skepticism, they don't leave any room to question the flawed human beings of the past because of....idealism? Exceptionalism?

It's a strange dementia that I can't really navigate.

Oh, and Columbus was genocidal and lovely. Probably not significantly moreso than any other exploring contemporary, but his accidental discovery of the new world is only special because it led to European colonization of this continent. He didn't do anything unique other than underestimate the circumference of the earth by like 20k mi or so and promptly beginning the extinguishing of millenia-old cultures on this continent.

I'm just not sure what is so wrong or horrible about being a part of a beautiful global community instead of THE GREATEST, MOST POWERFUL CIVILIZATION AND NATION THAT HAS EVER EXISTED.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 3, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jurgan posted:

I mean he was legit autistic at the very least he was on the spectrum. bunch of stuff points to it. Not a bad thing, but it didnt help him with stuff. but yeah sorry for putting it that way.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
No, he was significantly moreso. Even his supporters thought he needed to tone poo poo down. .

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm trying to think of something equivalent to the way American conservatives get mad about people pointing out the flaws of Columbus or the founding fathers. Are there British people who get mad about people talking about Henry VIII's wives?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I know it's not the focus of that, but that thing about not requiring American history for History majors is the dumbest thing ever. You know why they don't? Because if you're focusing on the Yuan Dynasty of China, or the Punic Wars, or ancient Mesopotamian business practices, or Aryan religious influence on Indian culture, or honestly the vast majority of topics in history you could make your specialty American history is 100% irrelevant, especially if you mean US history specifically.

Also most History Bachelor degrees break require you to split your classes between a set of categories based on geography. North America, Europe, South America, Ancient, and Asia/ME/Africa are the five categories in most schools I looked at, and the one I got mine from. While the american categories do have a few native oriented classes, most are White People History. Ancient History classes are pretty much Greece/Rome. Maybe an overarching AH class mentions the middle east. China, Egypt, and the Indus get hosed. All the nonwhite classes basically get shunted into a single category you can only take 2-3 classes in for credit. The idea that colleges come anywhere close to downplaying American/European history is loving laughable.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 3, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the big problems comes from the right wing view of the world. The simple reality is that every historical figure that ever existed was still a human. We're all flawed and we all suck. You can't get around that. Plus we're all products of our time. It's kind of odd to look at past morality through the lenses of current morals. Some things people just hadn't thought of yet and there is also the inertia of history. People 200 years from now are going to look at some things we did and go "wow what the gently caress, they did what?"

Mind that doesn't excuse or justify the things of the past, as we see with American history. Whether we like it or not our nation was built on slavery, genocide, and exploitation. We can't change that.

The problem is that the current right wing has decided that our founding fathers (interesting how they kind of ignore anybody that wasn't a white dude) are all perfect and America is infallible. I didn't learn that jefferson, Washington, and pals were slave owners until after high school. Or that Washington spoke about how people can rebel if they want while also being involved in putting down multiple rebellions. They weren't the worst guys if the era but they also weren't ubermensch sent by God to create This Great Nation by His Will.

But the right wing wants to teach mythology. They want the stalwart, perfect, Christian white men that just cared about freedom and Jesus and tamed a wild, untamed wilderness with nothing but grit, sweat, hard work, and faith.

They don't want the reality that a significant chunk of immigrants were violent, drunken, gold crazy bastards or that the puritans were actually pretty terrible.

You see that whenever the mythology is threatened by trying to include anything complicated. Whenever we try to include nuance in curriculum, we get conservatives throwing temper tantrums that we're daring to question the "truth" that white Christians might not have been perfect or are being "PC" by including the history of anybody but white Christians. The incredibly inaccurate hero worship has almost certainly contributed to the stunted, bigoted worldview of the average right-winger these days. Failing to see just how many times our institutions have failed in avoidable ways has also likely been the cause of the obsession with re-introducing terrible policies of the past (some of which never were even implemented in the first place) and denial of negative societal trends. We already know that the yearning for a romanticized fantasy of the past is the large cause of some of the more baseless rage of older right wingers today.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm trying to think of something equivalent to the way American conservatives get mad about people pointing out the flaws of Columbus or the founding fathers. Are there British people who get mad about people talking about Henry VIII's wives?

Turkey's entire political identity is based around genocide denial. Japanese conservatives are squirrely at best about ww2. I feel like French conservatives might be similar about Petain and ww2 collaboration

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Geostomp posted:

You see that whenever the mythology is threatened by trying to include anything complicated. Whenever we try to include nuance in curriculum, we get conservatives throwing temper tantrums that we're daring to question the "truth" that white Christians might not have been perfect or are being "PC" by including the history of anybody but white Christians. The incredibly inaccurate hero worship has almost certainly contributed to the stunted, bigoted worldview of the average right-winger these days. Failing to see just how many times our institutions have failed in avoidable ways has also likely been the cause of the obsession with re-introducing terrible policies of the past (some of which never were even implemented in the first place) and denial of negative societal trends. We already know that the yearning for a romanticized fantasy of the past is the large cause of some of the more baseless rage of older right wingers today.

It also doesn't help that America's conservatives have anointed themselves as God's chosen while declaring that anything bad was the devil/his followers deliberately sabotaging them. After all conservatism is perfect; the only problem is that some people fail to realize that or have been convinced not to.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dr Christmas posted:

I imagine there's a bit of a tug-of-war over the whole Empire thing.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Dr Christmas posted:

I doubt there's a culture anywhere on the planet which doesn't have near-mythological figures that it would cause strife to question or insult. We're mocking this in others, but I guarantee you that close to 100% of us have a person, or persons, who would illicit a knee-jerk defense reaction from us if someone were to attack them. We'd probably all like to think that we would be able to see reason, and integrate facts that are contrary to our beliefs, but I don't think the evidence supports that. I'm not sure who those people would be as far as figures in British history, but I'd bet money they exist.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

but I guarantee you that close to 100% of us have a person, or persons, who would illicit a knee-jerk defense reaction from us if someone were to attack them. We'd probably all like to think that we would be able to see reason, and integrate facts that are contrary to our beliefs, but I don't think the evidence supports that.

I'd be pissed if someone talked poo poo about Mr. Rogers. That guy was a legit awesome dude. His biggest flaw was that he probably left the toilet seat up or something mundane like that.

However, you made a good point. :)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

icantfindaname posted:

Turkey's entire political identity is based around genocide denial. Japanese conservatives are squirrely at best about ww2. I feel like French conservatives might be similar about Petain and ww2 collaboration

It always suprises me about Turkeys denial. The founder of their countries modern state wasn't even involved durectly in the Armenian Genocide, hell I think he shot most of the "Young Turks" that were involved in it. Yet there is still this urge to go "nope didn't happen".

I think that in the case of British History it isn't neccesarily a single person, but if you attack the fact that the British Empire wasn't all good all the time then heaven help you.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 3, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Centripetal Horse posted:

I doubt there's a culture anywhere on the planet which doesn't have near-mythological figures that it would cause strife to question or insult. We're mocking this in others, but I guarantee you that close to 100% of us have a person, or persons, who would illicit a knee-jerk defense reaction from us if someone were to attack them. We'd probably all like to think that we would be able to see reason, and integrate facts that are contrary to our beliefs, but I don't think the evidence supports that. I'm not sure who those people would be as far as figures in British history, but I'd bet money they exist.
The difference is that in most cases they lived 500-1000 years ago or more, and have no real direct influence on that nation's laws. You can argue about what Alfred the Great thought of separation of church and state all you want - it won't have much effect on the British Parliament. However if you can convince enough people that the US founders actually intended for Christian law to be paramount in America's legal system then you can start to build an actual case for the US Constitution as the foundational document of a functioning theocracy. Of course it helps if most people have never read the US Constitution as well, and are otherwise gullible idiots in most respects.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

It always suprises me about Turkeys denial. The founder of their countries modern state wasn't even involved durectly in the Armenian Genocide, hell I think he shot most of the "Young Turks" that were involved in it. Yet there is still this urge to go "nope didn't happen".

Ataturk didn't literally command the troops who carried out the genocide, but the country he founded would not have been possible without the ethnic cleansing of 3+ million Greeks and Armenians. So modern Turkey is very touchy about people criticizing that ethnic cleansing, because it is much more difficult to separate modern Turkey from the WW1 genocides than the UK from their empire, or even Germany and Japan from their WW2 stuff

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 3, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

icantfindaname posted:

Ataturk didn't literally command the troops who carried out the genocide, but the country he founded would not have been possible without the ethnic cleansing of 3+ million Greeks and Armenians. So modern Turkey is very touchy about people criticizing that ethnic cleansing, because it is much more difficult to separate modern Turkey from the WW1 genocides than the UK from their empire, or even Germany and Japan from their WW2 stuff

Could you elaborate? Or do you have a link to somewhere to read more about how the Armenian Genocide allowed for modern turkey? I'd be interested in hearing about it!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Damonic posted:

I'd be pissed if someone talked poo poo about Mr. Rogers. That guy was a legit awesome dude. His biggest flaw was that he probably left the toilet seat up or something mundane like that.

He drowned kittens for fun. :colbert:

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

oooo, you've done it now! :regd07: (I wish there was a slappy emote that wasn't the 2007 thing)

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Deptfordx posted:

That only makes me like him more :unsmigghh:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Dr Christmas posted:

As a limey our worship of historical figures extends to two people; Winston Churchill and one day the queen. Maybe Elizabeth I at a push because she was an underdog who consistently won, and beat the poo poo out of the Spanish that one time with the help of the weather.

Everyone else can be roughly split into two categories: Politicians who aren't Winston Churchill but did something significant enough to be remembered for something, and old royalty whose activities are far too well-known to be deified.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Karl Marx was a drooling idiot who didn't understand economics OR government

*dives for cover*

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
FNS and their panel is reeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy obsessing over Bill and Lynch on the plane together. They've now decided that Clinton is hosed no matter what because of that.

Predictable, yes, but it's funnier given how little they're talking about Benghazi for some reason :iiam:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kilroy posted:

The difference is that in most cases they lived 500-1000 years ago or more, and have no real direct influence on that nation's laws. You can argue about what Alfred the Great thought of separation of church and state all you want - it won't have much effect on the British Parliament.

Most modern European nations only really date from the 1870s. Like "shared cultural heritage" or not, at the very least Italy and Germany as we know them didn't really exist until after the American Civil War.

Another important note: Most European nations are incredibly young in terms of their present systems of government (eg., going from Francoist Spain to today), so there hasn't been much time to establish those calcified relations.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

RasperFat posted:

I agree and it's even more than that. The obsession seems to come from the narrative that we tell kids about our history.

"The Puritans founding This Great Nation (tm) bravely fought back against the oppressive British religious laws to make an arduous journey across the unknown sea to build a new nation out of nothing. They survived winters and farmed the land with their determination and bootstraps. The natives helped just a little, and they even made peace with the noble savages that couldn't even understand the concepts of money and hard work."

The hero narrative is basically how we tell our entire history to children. After the Puritans its the Founding Fathers (all heroes), then the expansion west with pioneers (also heroes), then the Civil War, where Lincoln is seen as super badass. Somehow the South also has heroes in this war. Then no one knows the Reconstruction period, and we get to TR, certified badass war hero. Wilson kicked rear end in WWI, then the Great Depression sucked, and then we got FDR, heroic in kicking Nazi rear end and catapulting the U.S. to world dominance. After that it's JFK getting assassinated and remembered as a legend. Then there's no more hero worship really because it's too recent or too many scandals (Nixon). Maybe Reagan, but that's only conservatives and not really taught to young kids in history lessons yet.

This is how I was taught about U.S. history in elementary school. And this was in the advanced classes (GATE) in well funded suburban schools in southern CA. I can only imagine what kids that went to lovely schools learned.

Hero worship as a cornerstone of conservative thought goes back to Thomas Carlyle:

quote:

Carlyle held "That great men should rule and that others should revere them," a view that for him was supported by a complex faith in history and evolutionary progress. Societies, like organisms, evolve throughout history, thrive for a time, but inevitably become weak and die out, giving place to a stronger, superior breed. Heroes are those who affirm this life process, accepting its cruelty as necessary and thus good. For them courage is a more valuable virtue than love; heroes are noblemen, not saints. The hero functions first as a pattern for others to imitate, and second as a creator, moving history forwards not backwards (history being the biography of great men). Carlyle was among the first of his age to recognize that the death of God is in itself nothing to be happy about, unless man steps in and creates new values to replace the old. For Carlyle the hero should become the object of worship, the center of a new religion proclaiming humanity as "the miracle of miracles. . . the only divinity we can know." For Carlyle's creed Bentley proposes the name Heroic Vitalism, a term embracing both a political theory, Aristocratic Radicalism, and a metaphysic, Supernatural Naturalism. The Heroic Vitalists feared that the recent trends toward democracy would hand over power to the ill-bred, uneducated, and immoral, whereas their belief in a transcendent force in nature directing itself onward and upward gave some hope that this force would overrule in favor of the strong, intelligent, and noble.[19]{rp|17-18,49-58}