Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i love this video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Afraid of Audio posted:

i love this video game

Stockholm syndrome working as intended.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

quote:

--the new Infamy system may let you level grind infinitely though there will only be so many rewards

This is a terrible idea, only made worse by the possibility that their rewards for Infamy 3.0 will be safes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Eh, safes aren't so bad now.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Wastrel_ posted:

This is a terrible idea, only made worse by the possibility that their rewards for Infamy 3.0 will be safes.

Now that safes are free to open i welcome them. Its like a gun pinata!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Daryl Surat posted:

For what it's worth, when I joined a pub server with my sentry build I immediately got told "because we're all running HoxHUD, please don't pick up sentries once you've deployed them as your doing so will crash the game for us."

Please tell me you picked up the sentries.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Hoxhud is such a mess jfc

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Daryl Surat posted:

[note: Jules spent most of the stream running Frenzy Ace ICTV with Sociopath on DW]

My man!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Afraid of Audio posted:

i love this video game

Edit: This is my fartgun build. It is not super optimized, but it is a blast: http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/eGHiKLQr:tHiKlMNOR:giJlOQr:ibcdea:pM8::w97-17-4-5-18:s49-16-2-25-11:a7

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 3, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Second Wind ace is an amazing skill and I highly recommend working it into that build.

e: unless you're using anarchist, which can't proc it

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 3, 2016

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Dr Cheeto posted:

Second Wind ace is an amazing skill and I highly recommend working it into that build.

e: unless you're using anarchist, which can't proc it

Mmm I will play around and see if I can work it in. Good to know about that and anarchist.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Hello,

I recently starting playing this multi media online police murder simulator and am having fun. When I asked for advice I mumble all I got was "Welcome to a black pit of paid DLC" which seemed encouraging.

Does the thread have any advice? I mostly see posts by a lot of veteran players who seem to hate themselves.

Are their any specific websites with good rundowns of the various missions?
Is any of the DLC worth it? I bought the Steam 75% off bundle so I got like the oldest half of the DLC.
Are their missions I should avoid at first?
Best guns and mods?

I'm sure there is more.

On my first crimenet mission after the tutorials I wound up with 3 level 100 pubbies who were collecting cocaine from a crashed plane. I was pretty lost so I just deployed the doctors bag and shot at cops. At the end I got like 1.6 million and shot from level 12 to level 31. No other mission has gotten even close to that reward since. Now that I know more, I think the host was just too busy to kick me.

taters fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 3, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
this game is overall easy enough that if you play the two basics heists the only major advice you need is "click cop heads"

That said if you have a specific question I am sure we will be happy to write you dissertations on whatever subject you come up with

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If you haven't played the tutorial heists you should do so, they cover most of the basics. What isn't covered in the tutorials:
- The game has a "three strikes" system. If you go down three times to enemy damage your screen will become washed out and the fourth down will kill you and send you into custody (you'll be forced to spectate and wait for a hostage trade to bring you back). Exceptions are cloaker kicks (cloakers are the Sam Fisher looking enemies who make a humming noise and ignore time and space to kick you whenever possible) and being electrified by a taser into a down.
- Putting an ECM down is its stealth function. If you go up to a deployed ECM and hit the action button, it will trigger ECM Feedback which is a function that is for combat, not stealth. It's an easy thing to mix up since the combat function was a thing you had to buy a skill for before they did a major skill overhaul but since this is not explained anywhere it's a bit of a newbie trap.
- You can mix and match points into any tree. Lots of people assume you're forced to just invest in one tree (see: the many, many free weekend players who join my lobby with all their points in 1 tree).
- The last weapon balance pass pretty much made every except a handful of notable, very lovely exceptions worth using. I'm sure someone else will feel free to rattle of a list of their favourite guns, but really you're very likely to pick a good one no matter what. Feel free to experiment. Shotguns in particularly are very good, and only get better if you invest in their skill tree.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The newbie horde seems to have thinned out, guess everybody either got bored or bought the game by now. :shrug:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

taters posted:

Is any of the DLC worth it? I bought the Steam 75% off bundle so I got like the oldest half of the DLC.
Best guns and mods?

I'm sure there is more.

On my first crimenet mission after the tutorials I wound up with 3 level 100 pubbies who were collecting cocaine from a crashed plane. I was pretty lost so I just deployed the doctors bag and shot at cops. At the end I got like 1.6 million and shot from level 12 to level 31. No other mission has gotten even close to that reward since. Now that I know more, I think the host was just too busy to kick me.

1) Not really. Heist-specific information is better gleaned from The Long Guide, but it is just as its name suggests and really not worth your time to study until you've decided you're really gonna sell out to this game. Don't worry too much about it otherwise.
2) There's a guide on the various worth-it-ness of the DLC here, but feel free to ignore suggestions if you think the guns or heists in any particular pack are neato burrito. The rule of cool generally runs this game.
3) The one you're referring to in your post is "White Xmas", an infinite heist. Avoiding infinite heists is a good idea just to limit burnout and combat fatigue. Off the top of my head, the infinite heists are White Xmas, Lab Rats, and Cook Off. Beyond that, do whatever.
4) Basically any weapon class is viable now, so do whatever fills your heisting heart with glee. If you have no strong opinions one way or the other, go with an M308 on your primary and a Judge shotgun loaded with explosive slugs on your secondary. That will allow you to handle any real challenge the game throws at you competently and will give you a basis to say "I wish it was more shooty/blasty/snipey/etc", and at that point we can make a better suggestion.

And FWIW, getting kicked for being low level is generally pretty rare. It does happen occasionally, but most people care more about just clicking cop heads. Like I said - at its heart, this game is not difficult. It tends to ward off the toxic class of hardcore nerd.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Just avoid the 4 skull missions (Deathwish).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Coolguye posted:

It tends to ward off the toxic class of hardcore nerd.

Not always, though, what's the name of that guy who gets his jollies from kicking people who aren't perfect enough for him?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

taters posted:

Does the thread have any advice? I mostly see posts by a lot of veteran players who seem to hate themselves.

Best guns and mods?

Hop on CTS (and the Goon Payday 2 Steam group chat) and play with Goons. I'd imagine more of the folks there than not would be thrilled to help a newbie learn the ropes, since they certainly were when I was getting started. Be cool, listen to folks, don't be a douche, avoid anyone who is a douche. This applies both generally and for learning specific heists.

Basically all the DLC is worth it, though there is certainly a hierarchy of priorities to them. Check the OP for a general idea, and its link to a Vox effortpost for more detail about each. Bear in mind that if someone else is hosting (which is the way to go if you're new or still in the early infamy grind) you don't need the heists DLC for the most part unless otherwise advised by the posts I mentioned.

The only heists I can think of off the top of my head that are pretty commonly loathed are Framing Frame and the transports and car shop, maybe a couple other stealths, and absolutely Lab Rats. They aren't all that bad, really, but running "not that bad" doesn't make sense when there's a ton of heists that range from tolerable to okay.

Most guns are pretty viable. You can get some pretty inexpensive ones to get a feel for what you like as far as weapon types and playstyle goes. Weapon modding will become a little more important once you understand what it is you like and what you're trying to do. There's not always a single one size fits all "best" out there.

Oh, and grab BLT, GoonMod, and PocoHud. They're some nice quality of life improvements.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 4, 2016

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Coolguye posted:

And FWIW, getting kicked for being low level is generally pretty rare.

I've been playing for 2 days have have been kicked from 50% of the missions I join within 10 seconds. Maybe they don't like my name. Maybe my steam handle is on some black list of known griefers. I certainly deserve it.

I noticed the downed mechanics pretty early. I did a few hours of attempting to solo some missions to learn the game mechanics before torturing myself with pubbies. I've been on the CTS mumble since its founding like 9 years ago, so I checked there and found a channel. A lot of the mumble GTA:O crew plays this game as well.

Was this originally a console franchise? Putting the Skills menu nested inside the Inventory menu makes me think so.

The cloakers are annoying gimmicks but manageable once I understood what was going on. I think I understand what is going on with visibility levels. I put a bunch of mods on my rifle and it hosed up my sneaking. TBH, being ok with stealth failing and going "loud" took some getting used to.

I found a guide to your first few levels somewhere with recommended starting skillpoints in things like Transporter and other low cost high return skills. After that I've been going with Mastermind mostly in the healing tree. Mostly to keep myself alive but the build has seemed well received. I also took a few points in the single shot rifle skill tree as I have decent aim.

The car driving mechanics in this game are loving jokes. I find the civilian control and hostage management bits interesting but I can see them becoming tiresome. The drill malfunctions were tiresome after the 2nd one.

Do any bullets travel through enemies to strike additional ones behind them? This seems to split about 50/50 among shooters.

edit - the "Long Guide" on steam is perfect. I love this really granular nerd poo poo. Could use more spreadsheets. It does explain some of the equipment stat behavior I've noticed where a mod or boost actually has a greater numerical effect than you were expecting based on reading its stats as well as the knock down and intimidation mechanics.

taters fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 4, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Not always, though, what's the name of that guy who gets his jollies from kicking people who aren't perfect enough for him?
TRIBE, but that has less to do with payday perfection and more to do with the fact that he has an honest-to-god sexual fetish for abusing others on stupid games. That said I'm pretty sure he hasn't been sighted playing the game for a long while.

taters posted:

I've been playing for 2 days have have been kicked from 50% of the missions I join within 10 seconds. Maybe they don't like my name.
Well, maybe my information's out of date there, then.

Other stuff:
1) No, Payday has always considered the PC first. Consoles are considered, but they are second class citizens.
2) Driving was retrofitted into the game like two years after its initial release. It does work with most vehicles that are not the motorcycles in the Biker heist, but they do not feel natural at all because all the mechanics are johnny-come-lately.
3) Bullets don't penetrate by default but certain guns (most notably the sniper rifle class weapons) do have penetration enabled.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 4, 2016

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Are there any good AK-762 alternatives -- aka medium range single shot assault rifle with iron sights? I like having a little bit of precision but still something easy to use + good magazine size + decent damage.

Also what's the verdict on Marksman and High Value Target skills? Marksman sounds good but I thought I read the math was weird and deceptive. Also HVT looks cool but I'm not sure how useful a point investment it really is.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

h_double posted:

Are there any good AK-762 alternatives -- aka medium range single shot assault rifle with iron sights? I like having a little bit of precision but still something easy to use + good magazine size + decent damage.

Also what's the verdict on Marksman and High Value Target skills? Marksman sounds good but I thought I read the math was weird and deceptive. Also HVT looks cool but I'm not sure how useful a point investment it really is.

I've been using the M308 and aced HVT, and both seem really good and useful. HVT is really nice just for letting everyone know where a special is without actually having to do anything.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

I like the way the mines send enemies into orbit.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

taters posted:

I like the way the mines send enemies into orbit.

Friend, let us tell you of the Gospel of HE Shotguns...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

Friend, let us tell you of the Gospel of HE Shotguns...

and also grenade launchers

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

h_double posted:

The M308, AMR-16 with or without DMR kit, and Falcon rifle might fit the bill

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

h_double posted:

If the mag size on a single-shot rifle seems lackluster, you can get the +15 mag size skill out of Oppressor and it'll work on single-shot rifles. An M308 with 25 rounds loaded is really, really good.

Also if Marksman aced is the one that gives you +20% accuracy it is actually an accuracy debuff, yeah. Don't get that skill. Basic is fine, though. I think that's one of the few busted skills left.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

ClonedPickle posted:

If the mag size on a single-shot rifle seems lackluster, you can get the +15 mag size skill out of Oppressor and it'll work on single-shot rifles. An M308 with 25 rounds loaded is really, really good.

Also if Marksman aced is the one that gives you +20% accuracy it is actually an accuracy debuff, yeah. Don't get that skill. Basic is fine, though. I think that's one of the few busted skills left.

Yeah I've got the +15 mag skill and have been going back and forth between the M308 and AK-762. The 762 can fit 45 rounds in a mag and is good for close quarters fighting but the M308 is so big and loud and fun.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Coolguye posted:

TRIBE, but that has less to do with payday perfection and more to do with the fact that he has an honest-to-god sexual fetish for abusing others on stupid games. That said I'm pretty sure he hasn't been sighted playing the game for a long while.

TRIBE may have changed his name to BitsOfSkin , based on some reports I saw on facepunch.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

TRIBE may have changed his name to BitsOfSkin , based on some reports I saw on facepunch.

The legend lives on.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

taters posted:

I've been playing for 2 days have have been kicked from 50% of the missions I join within 10 seconds. Maybe they don't like my name. Maybe my steam handle is on some black list of known griefers. I certainly deserve it.

There is a fairly recent mod I notice several people running called "Newbies Go Back to Overkill" that lets hosts auto-kick people for a variety of reasons: having less than X many hours played, using a certain perk deck/armor/deployable, not having complete decks, hacking their skill point totals, being at set Infamy levels without having played long enough, and so on. But it's only supposed to be active on the highest difficulties. Maybe it takes effect on other difficulties too?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Daryl Surat posted:

There is a fairly recent mod I notice several people running called "Newbies Go Back to Overkill" that lets hosts auto-kick people for a variety of reasons: having less than X many hours played, using a certain perk deck/armor/deployable, not having complete decks, hacking their skill point totals, being at set Infamy levels without having played long enough, and so on. But it's only supposed to be active on the highest difficulties. Maybe it takes effect on other difficulties too?

Apparently the creator got pressured into adding the option to apply it to Overkill, which is the dumbest poo poo, because if you're competent enough to think you're hot enough poo poo to need proper backup for Deathwish, you should be able to carry a team solo on Overkill.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
There's the fact that any half-competent player should be able to breeze through Overkill, but there's also the fact that I've played with people for whom 'aim gun at policemen and click mouse' is a bit too obscure an instruction to follow.

Anyway, just dropped into a First World Bank where the host was cheating. Usually quit right away in cases like these but decided to stick around and see what funny poo poo he'll get up to. Nothing much, actually, for most of it, but he then proceeded to spawn and secure 2000 bags at the escape. There was an incredible FPS drop and the game wrapped up with me getting 108 million XP which was all useless of course because I'm 25-100. Oddly, the amount of cash from bags was capped at $23 million (spending + offshore).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

h_double posted:

Yeah I've got the +15 mag skill and have been going back and forth between the M308 and AK-762. The 762 can fit 45 rounds in a mag and is good for close quarters fighting but the M308 is so big and loud and fun.

You're going to be dropping most cops with one shot to the head (or even body) with the m308. The only thing that really hamstrings the m308 is the pick up rate of the weapon.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I know people like the noise of the m308 but man putting a silencer on that thing makes it sound like the little plinker rifles I used to shoot with my dad out at the gun range in my early 20s. Rats day 1 got so much more enjoyable and less stressful after I found that gun, because now I just hang out on the top floor working my way through a bag/box of ammo like old times. Only now the targets move a bit.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Microtransactions are the best thing ever. Bought drill for $2.50, sold skin for $4.14 after Steam's cut, bought Worms Ultimate Mayhem.

Really though they are poo poo, it's just nice I was able to flip it into something worth the money instead of ending up with a five cent skin. I just want something not Danger Ahead for the Car 4 damnit.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 4, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What is a good gun to buy a bunch of when I am dumping my cash before going up in Infamy?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Thanatos and Uzi were the pro choices when I did it but that was literally 2014, so :shrug: as to whatever now. Find the most expensive primary/secondary and buy buy buy.

e: it would also be a good thing if you bought and kitted out some level-0 guns so you can actually use something when you infamy. I usually had a high-conceal Commando 553 and some lovely pistol as my "bring to DW jewelry store for literally one heist until I level up" infamy weapons.

I just looked this up for you - the number you want to see is $921,000. There are many primaries and a few secondaries which cost this, that's the highest price. Another thing you can do is unlock primary/secondary slots - you won't get that money back, but hey if you have to use it or lose it....

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Bort Bortles posted:

What is a good gun to buy a bunch of when I am dumping my cash before going up in Infamy?

I always did mosconi shotguns, but like Psion said just buy the most expensive rifle or shotgun (should be like 500k) & you can sell it back for a fraction of the buy price (like 200k?)

It's not as important anymore now that skills don't cost cashmoney but it doesn't hurt to have a little extra gun money.